• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Hey Bikera!

I am happy as a clam since I'm able to commute solely by bike now. My wife and I work together and she's not the most sporty person for various reasons, so we usually drive to work together. But now she's off sick so everyday is a nice 22km commute along the river. The nice part is: because of traffic, I get there much faster than in a car.

Not the most interesting story, but it's amazing how faster/stronger you get after just a week of regular cycling.

My ride: a customized KiloTT fixed gear (42x15) with full fenders and a rear rack.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Hey Bikera!

I am happy as a clam since I'm able to commute solely by bike now. My wife and I work together and she's not the most sporty person for various reasons, so we usually drive to work together. But now she's off sick so everyday is a nice 22km commute along the river. The nice part is: because of traffic, I get there much faster than in a car.

Not the most interesting story, but it's amazing how faster/stronger you get after just a week of regular cycling.

My ride: a customized KiloTT fixed gear (42x15) with full fenders and a rear rack.

Nice! These stories are the best.

I wish I could commute to work on my bike. The distance is doable once or twice a week (80km there and back again), but the lack of a shower at my work is putting me off.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Nice! These stories are the best.

I wish I could commute to work on my bike. The distance is doable once or twice a week (80km there and back again), but the lack of a shower at my work is putting me off.

*edit* Fuck it, I'm cycling to work this Thursday. I'll bring some deodorant.
(whoopsie double post)

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could ride my bike to work. Best option I get is a 2 mile ride to the train station. We're not allowed bikes on the rush hour trains and the ferry is too damn expensive.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
If I want to, I can commute via two (short) enduro downhill sections. I seldom do however, it takes a lot of commitment.

Senger

Oct 27, 2017
Baby wipes and taking it easy in the morning worked for me before they fixed the shower at work. It's usually cooler in the mornings so that helps as well. I commute about 35 miles round trip everyday and it's surprising how routine it is now. I don't even think about driving anymore unless I'm sick or something weather related. I do eat a lot and have to take it easy some days to have legs for weekend rides. I use a rear rack and bag/pannier on a 2016 aluminum Giant Defy. Don't want to deal with a backpack over that distance/time.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Just got back from Scotland. Was a fantastic little trip, starting to get my technical skills back a bit. Long way off on the fitness though.

Holy shit was it hot.

(On the frame bag thing, they shouldn't be wide enough to rub your legs on... at least not on a mountain bike)

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Question everyone,
The screws on my kickstand loosen up ever month or so. So I will tighten them a fair bit and a month later they start to loosen up again. Anything I can do about that?

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, clean and degrease the screw and hole. Apply loctite to screw.

I'm sure that will take care of the issue.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Unrelated... I broke my dropper, which sucks. I forgot to put it down for a pretty big dropoff and hit it really hard. Now it wont stay retracted. :(

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
lol, I love how it's so flat that the scale is completely screwed there for elevation! :D

Edit - Oh ffs... because of my time in the Velothon last year I've been placed in the Cat 1 group.

I'm not even half as fit as I was last year. I'm going to die.

Last edited:

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Funny thing is that the biggest part of that ride is below sea level.

The way back was a lot quicker

Back home

... cat 1 :| time to start training I guess :D

broony

Oct 27, 2017
I've got my sportive on Saturday. Already shitting it. I've done the distance recently, but not the climbing. Going to be messy I think.

Its 106 miles, 7800ft climbing, most I have done is 100 miles 6000 ft climbing.

This comes at 90 miles, maxes out at 22%, there is a twin of this hill a 100 yards after this one. Been up them before, but not after 90 miles.

0_Report_Beaumont2016_07.jpg

I know this probably wouldn't be much to some of you guys, but to me thats pretty intimidating.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I've got my sportive on Saturday. Already shitting it. I've done the distance recently, but not the climbing. Going to be messy I think.

This comes at 90 miles, maxes out at 22%, there is a twin of this hill a 100 yards after this one. Been up them before, but not after 90 miles.

I know this probably wouldn't be much to some of you guys, but to me thats pretty intimidating.
Sounds like fun, good luck!
I don't do any type of road racing, I just commute so I don't know your pain. :P

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut

You've done the training, you'll be fine. It's all in the head, just remember to enjoy the ride and have fun.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
That does looks steep, but it's also short as fuck so all you really need to do is give it your all for a short time! :)

Oct 25, 2017

That's intimidating to us, don't let are hard attitudes fool you

Just hit it and go. It's at least short

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Possibly, but then my race hardtail weighs less than my road bike... and grips / brakes a shitload better so it's not exactly a straight win.

Plus, you know, cars.

Oct 25, 2017
I was able to ride my bike for the first time in close to two weeks the other day. After doing 40ish miles and my hand/wrist killing me I decided to just not ride unless it was a super casual easy ride with the wife (even those hurt). There is still tenderness in my palm, but I can apply pressure again without numbness or stingy so I'll take it.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Turns out I'm in the very first group going off. I need to be there by 06:30. Bollocks. lol

I'm going to be stood there with my MTB shoes on surrounded by super serious lycra addicts riding £5k+ bikes.

Hopefully I'm still fast enough to eat one alive on a hill.

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
It's going to be scorching hot this weekend in the Northeast, sucks because I was planning on doing a century, but not with this heat, not trying to kill myself.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
I like warmer weather but for long bike rides Finland's summer climate is awesome. 16-20C means you can go comfortably at any speed.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Confirmed, I still hate road cycling. Too many cars, have to be way too careful about the surfaces you're on.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for some advice:

I know practically nothing about bikes. My partner (the wonderful Viriditas) loves biking, though, and we're looking to spend a little on a bike. She currently only has a $30 Craigslist mountain bike purchase which is on its last legs. I know department store bikes are garbage, but our budget is probably going to max out at $300, and even that is probably a bit too pricey. I'm looking for advice on where to start. Should we go to local bike shops and peruse the very cheapest used bikes they have to offer? Any reputable online stores with any great sales going on currently? I've been checking Craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc, as well. She's told me she much prefers mountain bikes, though she does ride pretty much strictly on the road (the roads are pretty shitty here in Pennsylvania).

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of information, but it's all I have at the moment. :P

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Did my sportive and just about survived. Was hot and hilly. Pretty slow but really pleased with myself. Had aimed to do it last summer but had a prolapsed disc and have spent the last 12 months recovering and then building fitness. Was a long time and a fair bit of work but managed to complete my goal. Cold beer next.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1672061750

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for some advice:

I know practically nothing about bikes. My partner (the wonderful Viriditas) loves biking, though, and we're looking to spend a little on a bike. She currently only has a $30 Craigslist mountain bike purchase which is on its last legs. I know department store bikes are garbage, but our budget is probably going to max out at $300, and even that is probably a bit too pricey. I'm looking for advice on where to start. Should we go to local bike shops and peruse the very cheapest used bikes they have to offer? Any reputable online stores with any great sales going on currently? I've been checking Craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc, as well. She's told me she much prefers mountain bikes, though she does ride pretty much strictly on the road (the roads are pretty shitty here in Pennsylvania).

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of information, but it's all I have at the moment. :P

$300 isn't a whole lot to work but there might be some stuff out there. I'd go talk to a local bike shop if you have one. There's an odd chance they may have left overs or used bikes that might work with you. If you can get up to 500-600 your options open up a bit more.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
How the hell do people cycle in this heat? As soon as I hit a hill I just burn up.

Also, I think I'm definitely overgrabbing the bars on descents on the road bike. I can't stop my hands going numb. :(

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Yo how the hell do the pros do what they do?

I just did 120 miles (!!!) and I'm literally on my fucking death bed. Those guys would do that twice as fast and get up and do it again the next day. I can barely type this post right now.

Taking the week off from the bike, been riding non stop for weeks now.

Also, good job broony, must feel good after all the training. Now time for the next one ;)

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
You get used to it. At my peak I can knock out 16 hour days without really blinking an eye. Nothing like that fit right now though.

Oh, and you need to rest. That's a big part of how you get faster.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Yo how the hell do the pros do what they do?

I just did 120 miles (!!!) and I'm literally on my fucking death bed. Those guys would do that twice as fast and get up and do it again the next day. I can barely type this post right now.

Taking the week off from the bike, been riding non stop for weeks now.

Also, good job broony, must feel good after all the training. Now time for the next one ;)

Cheers and well done on your ride. Definitely felt horrendous straight after but a few hours later, apart from just generally feeling tired, I didn't feel too bad.

There is a UK national championship race on part of the course I was riding, so the pros were out checking the course out while the sportive was on. Nothing like being passed by someone three times faster than you when your half way up a nasty climb. Think I saw Mark Cavendish fly past at about 30mph towards the end.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Looking for some advice:

One avenue to explore is used high-quality mountain bikes from the 80s and 90s. They have that mountain bike feel without all the crazy suspension and cost of a modern mountain bike. Put a little money tuning it up and putting tires suited for the road (knobby tires slow you down) and you've got yourself a nice ride!

Look at Bridgestone, Specialized and Kona bikes from that era. They're usually high quality.

Oct 25, 2017
I should not have ridden my mountain bike yesterday, immediately tweaked my wrist. Anyone here ever ride with Ergon's all mountain grips or their gx1?