• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, i had my first two rides with my feet clipped to the pedals. It feels good and I can swear that I'm a bit faster/more powerful. However, its seems like they are not a great idea for the City, as unpredictable stops and other hazards makes any delay important to prevent injury. :(

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
You just have to practice until you're at the point where you can unclip without thinking about it. Also, with many pedals you can adjust the force required to unclip to make it a bit easier and thus quicker.

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
So after a long long time i finally decided to buy a decent hybrid Bike, got me a Cannondale Quick 2. Having to wait, since the shop didn't have it in that configuration in XL. Planning to commute 25k to work at least twice a week in the beginning and depending on how I feel and adapt ot make that 3 times or every day. Still have to think about what clothes I should get/ need. Like the idea of 1x drivetrain, the only thing I question now is if I soon after getting a bit more in cycling shape I'm a bit afraid that a 38 Crank will be to small for flat/slightly downhill parts.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
Isn't it funny when you ride single speed (or fixie) your previously flat as a pancake on the plains city turns into the Swiss alps with constant gale force winds. Fml
i'm at the point where, after watching a mash sf video, i lament that my city doesn't have terrain as interesting (hilly) as SF

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Most bikes no longer come with kickstands
Always ride with a helmet
Get rechargeable lights and put them in flashing mode for your commutes
Don't worry about your bike brand or model, just focus on having fun and enjoying your rides.
I would add a reflective vest. Might look dorky, but anything to make other traffic participants notice you is good in my book!

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I was run over by a truck today. Any significant movements have me out of breath. I was hoping to do some easy spinning on the trainer tomorrow but that seems...unlikely.

Damn, why didn't I just slow down a little?

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Been biking for a couple of weeks now with my fam. Picked up a GT aggressor pro and I'm loving it. Hope to hit the trails next weekend, but I feel like a kid again. Always thinking about riding.

Oct 25, 2017
I was riding on a gravel rail trail, something I don't have a lot of experience with and should have been more careful with. I started picking up speed and hit a patch with some larger rocks. I bounced off the side of a rock and went down on my right side, slicing my arm open.

Ahh. You may have bruised a rib which is where the breathing is coming in. Just rest up and try the bike again in another day.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, the person who originally recommended always wearing good underwear in case you are in an accident was obviously not a biker

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
Just a reminder. Having a front flashing light is a dick move. Very annoying for oncoming cyclists.

If you must flash get a 2nd light and have that flash at a downward angle to light up the pavement you are on.

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
So decided to try to get to work ( around 25 km ) with my old shitty bike, to scout the terrain. Took me 90 minutes (with a 10 min stop and some searching for the way) . Found out that there is more gravel road then I expected, Now I'm not to sure if my decision for a Cannondal Quick 2 (https://www.cannondale.com/en/Inter...7e7-4933-8d77-a9fd4af85151&parentid=undefined) is that good, on the other hand my really old bike has similar Tires just 35 in diameter, so I think I should be ok... The Cyclecross Bikes my Dealer has don't seem to have rack mounts so they are out...

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think flashing lights are the problem per se, it's more people running unnecessarily bright lights. If you've got a 1,200 lumen front light, don't point it at eye level, point it down and to the side slightly so you don't blind oncoming traffic (vehicular, bike or pedestrian). Just another example of being a considerate cyclist.

Flashing lights are fine, and they're for being seen rather than seeing by imho, so there's no need to have a super-bright flasher as your primary light.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
So decided to try to get to work ( around 25 km ) with my old shitty bike, to scout the terrain. Took me 90 minutes (with a 10 min stop and some searching for the way) . Found out that there is more gravel road then I expected, Now I'm not to sure if my decision for a Cannondal Quick 2 (https://www.cannondale.com/en/Inter...7e7-4933-8d77-a9fd4af85151&parentid=undefined) is that good, on the other hand my really old bike has similar Tires just 35 in diameter, so I think I should be ok... The Cyclecross Bikes my Dealer has don't seem to have rack mounts so they are out...

According to the internet the Quick has clearance for 38c tyres, so if need be you can install proper gravel tyres on it. Maybe ask if the shop can give you a deal on some? Nice high end tyres will make the bike feel better too.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I used to have a quick too, quick 8 I believe it was, I used these https://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Cyc...id=1527668130&sr=8-5&keywords=35x700+schwalbe

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
According to the internet the Quick has clearance for 38c tyres, so if need be you can install proper gravel tyres on it. Maybe ask if the shop can give you a deal on some? Nice high end tyres will make the bike feel better too.

Yeah I will probably ask, them I already get a deal for the Rack and Mudguards they will add, But U also want to try it with something similar like the ones that are mounted on there Because most of the way is still pavement, and my current Tires have the same profile but are 35c, not sure I really need gravel tyres.

Thanks for the Tip, Will check what the shop recommends, and if I try it with the stock ones and decide to upgrade later myself, I will keep them in mind

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
pdfkc9E.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Damn you guys and your scenery

Side note: Did two hard rides this week and ended up with a migraine after each. I thought I had figured it out, but I guess I didn't. I think I just got a dip in hydration but man did I not miss getting these.

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
So 2nd day commuting to work, uped the pressure of my Tyres to 5 bar (rated at 6), which made the ride a bit smoother, but the rear tube tore, when I was driving over the Curb in front of the office...
Can't wait to get the new bike, the shop gave me a good deal on some Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, which should be enough for the type of roads I have on my commute. Hope they have it setup tomorrow or on Saturday.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
I've no personal experience, but Marathon Supremes get a lot of praise. Durable, grippy and easy rolling. They won't help with pinch flats though, which was what you got by riding heavily onto a curb. Time to learn bunny hopping!

Oct 28, 2017
Hello everyone. Last September I started running again and managed to injure my feet. The podiatrist I visited indicated I would need physical therapy to fix it, and that ultimately running was out. I can't even use an elliptical anymore. However he did recommend a bike and I've tried it out a few times in the gym and it's pain free, so that does seem like the way to go. I've been doing that since but am soon going to be moving into a house without a gym, so I figure now's a good time to think about investing in a bicycle. The problem is I don't really know anything about cycling and I want to learn as I think I might like to get into it for my health. For reference, I am 6'1" and 290, so I'm a pretty big guy.

I've been trying to research what I need to buy and have come up with these ideas for now. I tried looking up guides online but they're more for serious cycling and I'm not sure I'm ready for that or if it's even ideal for me at all, so I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice on all of this:

- Bicycle: I don't know where to start on this. I will be mainly riding on paved streets in bike lanes, but there might be some sections with gravel and the like. It is hilly. I definitely don't feel like I need performance or anything. I'd prefer something that can have a basket attached so that I can make runs to the store or to pick up dinner and that sort of thing. I'd also like the seat to be somewhat comfortable as that has been a bit of an irritation in the gym. I don't really want to spend too much on it for now until I'm sure I like it (not to mention all the other expenses that come with buying a house right now).
- Lights: I figure I need low intensity, flashing front and back lights.
- Reflector Vest: I don't want to be run over. Is there a good brand for this?
- Tools: Would I need anything right away? I've no idea how to fix anything broken on a bike anyway but I figure YouTube can solve that problem. I don't know how often I can expect little things to need minor fixes.
- Tracking App: Any good apps to track rides so I can see how I'm doing? Or are any fitbit/smart watches really ideal for it? This will mostly be exercise still and I'd like to be able to see what I'm getting out of it and perhaps where to improve.
- Lock: I had a U-lock (don't know what they're called, if that's not the name) in college. Those seem like the right choice.
- Air Pump: I gotta assume I need one of these. I do have an electric air pump for car tires. I honestly don't know if that's the same as growing up I only ever used a manual one and frankly don't remember.
- Shoes: I plan to just use tennis shoes and that sort of thing.
- Anything I'm missing?
- Any good beginner's guides for general maintenance, setting up the bike, and how to ride?

I'm kinda excited at the prospect and I'd really appreciate any kind of information you guys are willing to give. Hopefully I can eventually join you guys' community!

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Was able to get my bike fixed. The only thing that needed to be replaced was a bent rear derailleur hanger, which worked as designed I guess. The left brifter has some significant cosmetic damage but I can live with it for now.

Recovery has been slow. If I exert myself I get a little nauseous, which sucks. Hopefully that will go away soon.

Edit: I just took my dogs for a walk and did pretty well. Maybe just an initial response I need to work through. Will try some light spinning on the trainer tonight. Have to see if I my arm is comfortable with my hands on the hoods.

Last edited:

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
picked up a new 2018 Fuji Touring a month or so back. Started using it for the daily commute last week and been loving it so far, very solid bike and holds up well against the often crappy Boston pavement

Oct 25, 2017
Was able to get my bike fixed. The only thing that needed to be replaced was a bent rear derailleur hanger, which worked as designed I guess. The left brifter has some significant cosmetic damage but I can live with it for now.

Recovery has been slow. If I exert myself I get a little nauseous, which sucks. Hopefully that will go away soon.

Edit: I just took my dogs for a walk and did pretty well. Maybe just an initial response I need to work through. Will try some light spinning on the trainer tonight. Have to see if I my arm is comfortable with my hands on the hoods.

So as someone who dealt with a bruised/broken rib through the summer here is what I'm going to offer you:
1. Don't push it, even if you feel OK just don't
2. Start on the trainer first and just make sure you do easy stuff. Maybe do a few 'recovery' programs in TR to get into it again
3. Stretch, stretch, stretch. Its going to hurt like a mofo but try laying on your back to start and then work to extending your arms back so you're fully extended. If you want just do some side stretches to slowly building into laying your back. The first time I laid on my back I legit lost all my breath and and to be rolled back.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
So as someone who dealt with a bruised/broken rib through the summer here is what I'm going to offer you:
1. Don't push it, even if you feel OK just don't
2. Start on the trainer first and just make sure you do easy stuff. Maybe do a few 'recovery' programs in TR to get into it again
3. Stretch, stretch, stretch. Its going to hurt like a mofo but try laying on your back to start and then work to extending your arms back so you're fully extended. If you want just do some side stretches to slowly building into laying your back. The first time I laid on my back I legit lost all my breath and and to be rolled back.

I don't think I have any bruised ribs. My only pains are in my legs and of course my arm where it was cut (and my left shoulder where I got the tetanus shot :P). I think it was just an overall shock to my system and I needed a few days to shake it off.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I have any bruised ribs. My only pains are in my legs and of course my arm where it was cut (and my left shoulder where I got the tetanus shot :P). I think it was just an overall shock to my system and I needed a few days to shake it off.

Oh good. You mentioned the other day trouble breathing so I assumed you banged up a rib

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
- Bicycle: I don't know where to start on this. I will be mainly riding on paved streets in bike lanes, but there might be some sections with gravel and the like.
Get something with clearance for fairly wide tires.

Get something with some low granny gears.

I'd also like the seat to be somewhat comfortable
That's a somewhat meaningless request. Everyone wants the seat to be comfortable. Even the road cyclists who use thin hard saddles usually choose them because they find them comfortable for their riding.

- Lights: I figure I need low intensity, flashing front and back lights.
If your goal is being visible in the daytime, you need the flasher lights to be quite high-intensity. If the lights are for night riding, the rear doesn't need to be all that bright, but you want a strong non-flashing beam in front to see the riding surface. I'm fond of this for night road riding.

- Tools: Would I need anything right away?
Use something like a saddle bag to carry some basic stuff with you on the ride. Spare inner tube, tire levers, allen keys (usually in the form of a cycling multi-tool). I'd also recommend carrying a pack of glueless patches, since they're cheap and take up no space. You'll also want a pump or CO2 inflator with you on the bike; mini-pumps are nice in that they generally come with brackets that mount on the same bosses as bottle cages (and can even be mounted with a bottle cage on the same boss).

At the very least, know how to fix a flat.

- Tracking App: Any good apps to track rides so I can see how I'm doing?
Strava is probably the most popular app for tracking rides, you can use it for free on your phone.

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
I've no personal experience, but Marathon Supremes get a lot of praise. Durable, grippy and easy rolling. They won't help with pinch flats though, which was what you got by riding heavily onto a curb. Time to learn bunny hopping!

Yeah I should probably learn that but not with my current old as fuck Touring bike ;)

Man had to take the train today to work, 2 days in a row cycling 25km each way is hard, if you never did more cycling then the 1-3k to the train station and city. Still if I manage to get to work 3 times a week by bike, that would be great and it should get easier after I get used to it.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Urgh,
ride to work
boom
flat rear wheel...
call the wife "can you bring me the car?"
pack bike
bring it to the shop at lunch...

anoying!

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I put rubber gloves in my saddle bag for no mess tube changes.

Also watch a video on YouTube on how to quickly take off and replace your rear wheel, you'll be an expert in no time.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
The folks on GCN always recommend against balancing your bike upside down on the saddle, so I don't. Old wives tale?

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing terribly wrong with balancing a bike upside down, provided you're careful to not smash anything or stick a component on a surface that'll chew it up.It's just usually unnecessary; there are fewer things prone to be damaged if you lay the bike down on its non-drive side.

I think the main reason that people lay the bike upside down is because the idea of removing the rear wheel with one hand while using the other hand to hold the bike up seems intimidating. But if you're able to do it, it's really the easiest and smoothest way to remove the wheel, and the technique for it is fairly simple.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a bike, uh, maybe seven years ago that I took out maybe three times early on and it sat in a closet until I moved recently (and now it's easily accessible, and hopefully used with some frequency).

Should I just fill the super flat tires up and take it out for a ride or should I just bring it right into a local bike shop and ask for a, uh, tune-up?

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a bike, uh, maybe seven years ago that I took out maybe three times early on and it sat in a closet until I moved recently (and now it's easily accessible, and hopefully used with some frequency).

Should I just fill the super flat tires up and take it out for a ride or should I just bring it right into a local bike shop and ask for a, uh, tune-up?
At a minimum, check that the gears work okay and the brakes still work. Make sure that moving parts still move, and check that the tyres are still in one piece (they don't always like being sat for years, deflating, with the weight of the bike sitting on them). But if in doubt, take it into a good bike shop for a check up.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
At a minimum, check that the gears work okay and the brakes still work. Make sure that moving parts still move, and check that the tyres are still in one piece (they don't always like being sat for years, deflating, with the weight of the bike sitting on them). But if in doubt, take it into a good bike shop for a check up.

Roger, thanks!