• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Well riding a century and riding for speed/power is two very different things. Anyone can ride a century, but riding a century at a higher consistent speed requires a lot more work. You may very well be above or below average speed, but that is just going to be natural fitness level. This is something Joe Friel hammers home in his training books very early on. All our bodies are different with some being more naturally gifted in VO2 or LT so those of us who aren't may need to work much harder to achieve those goals. Whereas those with higher than average VO2/LT just need to train to better "unleash" the potential. This is another reason your local 20 year old rider that is dominating crits may not stand a chance at national level.

Riding a century is purely stamina be it physical or mental. You're just pedaling with the goal of going as far as you can so you're going to be more inclined to settle into your comfortable area of pace and build on that.

Building speed requires pushing beyond that comfort in different ways as to target the different things psycho mentioned. There's a reason folks who do crits build up to 2x20 repeats because in a crit you may very well be needing to ride just below threshold for 10/15/20 minutes at a clip.

Does this make sense?

Yeah, I get it. I mean, I'm 44 and only been riding for 2 years, so I should adjust my expectations accordingly.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
You're a lifter too right Teggy? Because trust me, sadly all that time spent in the gym, whilst making you look awesome... generally doesn't help you get faster on the bike.

(and when you train as much as I do, you see that it actually hurts... because when I cant lift, my cycling fitness rockets)

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
You're a lifter too right Teggy? Because trust me, sadly all that time spent in the gym, whilst making you look awesome... generally doesn't help you get faster on the bike.

(and when you train as much as I do, you see that it actually hurts... because when I cant lift, my cycling fitness rockets)

Yeah, but I quit lower body workouts while I am working on my cycling. So I do 4 days in the bike and three days upper body in the gym. Plus I'm about 10lbs into a 30lb cut lol.

It's all a longer term process. I'll get my weight to where I want it to be, which is really #1, then I'll figure out where I want my body to be and in the meantime I'm just working on improving my cycling fitness the best I can.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't really matter to be honest, upper or full body. Endurance and Strength really don't mix. The body (sans drugs) doesn't have the capability to recover properly from all the damage. I keep trying though. :(

Here's a depressing example: http://suppversity.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/30-min-moderate-intensity-cycling.html

Edit - To be clear, you can progress at both, but you'd make much quicker progress with either if you concentrated just on that.

Last edited:

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, that's fine. If my cycling is cutting my arm gains I don't have a big problem. I'm not intending to get particularly large. I just need my legs to feel fresh when I cycle.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but I quit lower body workouts while I am working on my cycling. So I do 4 days in the bike and three days upper body in the gym. Plus I'm about 10lbs into a 30lb cut lol.

It's all a longer term process. I'll get my weight to where I want it to be, which is really #1, then I'll figure out where I want my body to be and in the meantime I'm just working on improving my cycling fitness the best I can.

Depends on the weights too. Are you going for power or just strengthening? Either way I see most do power type stuff in off season with strength/stability during season.

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Hey guys, haven't been in here in a while.

My first off season has been tough. I have been going to a cycling class today once a week, missed a couple classes due to work and social commitments. I tought by doing this class I would stay in similar physical shape as to when the season ended (mid October) but I've been slowly getting worse and worse, it's better than not doing anything but I really wanted to stay near to what I finished with. It also doesn't help that I've been eating like shit, that definitely isn't helping. I guess I should have expceted this, going from riding 3-4 times a week to just once is not enough.

Oh well, also picked up a pair of jawbreakers yesterday, I've wanted these for a while now and finally got them, these glasses are hot.

Anyway, looking forward to the new season.

xzoowy

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really matter to be honest, upper or full body. Endurance and Strength really don't mix. The body (sans drugs) doesn't have the capability to recover properly from all the damage. I keep trying though. :(

Here's a depressing example: http://suppversity.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/30-min-moderate-intensity-cycling.html

Edit - To be clear, you can progress at both, but you'd make much quicker progress with either if you concentrated just on that.

I mix strength training and cycling too. At 37 years old, you need to take more care of your self(nutrition, sleep, life stress management) as your body does not recover as quickly as before. My main issue is trying to manage my cortisol level, as cycling is quite brutal for this and my strength training is hindering my recovery. Which results with poor sleep, your body feels tired but your brain is overstimulated like you drank a gallon of coffee. I'm trying to incorporate recovery weeks every 4ish weeks to get a physical/mental break and try to avoid reaching the overtraning zone.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, recovery weeks are a good idea. Most sustainable way to train.

I'm desperately trying to get as much sleep as possible, but it's tough.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, if you are basically riding a moped them you should be on the road, not the cycle path.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I don't usually come close to those speeds on a day to day basis. I cycle around 20.
It's not a moped.
JYsE0Bb.jpg

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
If you guys are doing a trainer ride longer than an hour do you take food and/or sports drink?

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I have drunk even if only doing an hour after that you probably need to fuel as well

Well I've generally read that rides outdoors that are less than an hour just water is fine but over an hour you should start adding fuel. Was wondering if people tried to work themselves harder when training.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
No need sub one hour (to fuel). I never really bother with sports drink though.

I have a three hour session in just over half an hour. Yay. :(

xzoowy

Oct 27, 2017
If you guys are doing a trainer ride longer than an hour do you take food and/or sports drink?

I always drink a bottle of home made sports drink(water, salt, orange juice) during my training sessions. I adapt the quantity of orange juice and salt to the intensity of the workout. For endurance zone workouts I mostly just put water and for VO2Max or Threshold workouts I put 1/3 of orange juice and also eat packs of gummies.

Post workout, for hard training sessions, I usually make a recovery drink made of protein powder, grenadine syrup and water. And also foam roll for a good 5-10 mins.

Oct 25, 2017

No reason you can't go 90 minutes on just water. The one time I did 50 miles on the trainer I just brought two bottles of skratch labs. I went inside at one point for a quick snack.

No idea how anyone is drinking anything like OJ while exercising. That's instant vomiting for me

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, stomach issues can be a killer for some people. Took me a long time to work out what I could handle on my multi day stuff. Obviously stopping a lot for food really isn't an option so you need to digest on the go.

On the Sufferfest... I don't have anything pleasant to say, so I should avoid saying anything. Putting a three hour mashup at the end of 9 days of solid effort is just stupid.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Do you get anything for completing the sufferfest? A patch for your jean jacket?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Sore fucking legs?
But no, nothing but a somewhat unpleasant sense of accomplishment and a bit of my fitness back.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
got a hardtail, been enjoying it but im looking to upgrade some parts of it because I got some play money, should I get a KS eten dropper post? or should I save up and get a better post? it's a cheap bike so I'm not looking to spend too much, im still getting adjusted to MTB

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
An annoying commute into work this morning... Some local youths must have spent last night smashing every bottle they could find along the cycle path, so I picked up two punctures. Although I had two spare inner tubes with me, my hand pump decided to give up the ghost after reinflating just one, so I had to push the bike two and a half miles. And of course it was lashing down with rain, so not only was I soaked but I was also filthy after taking both wheels off. Grrrr.

I swear, much as I love cycling, it's days like today that make me wonder why I don't just take the bus!

Anyone got any recommendations for a hand pump that's nice and small but can get a tyre up to 100psi?

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking of getting a hub power meter for my gravel bike but then realized the whole process would probably cost more than the bike itself :P

If I get a better gravel bike I'll get another crank power meter. Pedal meters seem like a great idea until you realize that you lose the ability to have different pedal systems per bike.

Last edited:

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
UCI really should take a firmer stance here. They're asking Sky to retire Froome until they've concluded the investigation.

Seems like Sky is the governing body of cycling instead of the UCI.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
SzfVvpu.jpg

KrcjCSS.jpg

The shellac should be here in about a week... hopefully by then I'll have gotten around to wrapping the other side. :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Zwift really needs to let you build out your own courses. These maps get so boring and mundane when you do them every week for months at a time.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Team Sky's reputation has taken a hammering in the last year or so, hasn't it? Also, it's funny how the UK media have given them a relatively easy ride, compared to if they'd been a non-UK team.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I wish the weather was better. I could really do with getting out for a few hours. This house buying shit has broken me.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I wish the weather was better. I could really do with getting out for a few hours. This house buying shit has broken me.
Amen to that. I've been persevering with my daily commute all winter but it's so much less enjoyable than when it's nice and sunny and moderately warm. Also, why when it's windy is it always a headwind?

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's weird that you can't even do certain routes until you reach level 10.

That's only for one route and it was pretty easy to hit, or game Zwift, to reach. The lack of route creating and proper maps is really frustrating. I would forgive the route thing if i could put on a map overlay to just direct myself but it's so easy to make a wrong turn and end up in a spot you didn't want.

Also the London course sucks, a lot.