• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Petrapan

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I started biking this year to help me get fit, I will have to have a read through this thread.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
I got a bike fit before ordering. Would have gotten the same size if I hadn't, but decided it was time to finally sort out my riding position

I've ordered one, but it won't show up untill christmas.

Oooh. Post some pictures and impressions when it arrives.

I got a bike fit last weekend and noticed the difference since. Nothing was changed dramatically apart from raising my bars to help with my back recovery but overall all the little changes feel much better.

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
I had no idea electric bikes were running for less than 1k, that's pretty neat

Aye, like I said this guy won his in a raffle and wasn't using it much so I was able to get it pretty cheap.

I had no idea any electric bikes were running on lead acid batteries, that's not neat. :p

It's a case of it being better than nothing unfortunately. Lord knows I would have sprung for Lithium ion if I could have gotten it for the same price.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
I started biking this year to help me get fit, I will have to have a read through this thread.

Cycling is a great way to get fit. The strain on your body is minimal (compared to say running or going to the gym), so you're less prone to injure yourself.
Besides that improving on a bike is a really natural process.

GCN has some great videos on how to get fit by riding a bike.
GCN YouTube Channel

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
My dog is sound asleep after running around after me around the local country park on my bike, was a bit worried he'd try and herd me but no he just ran with me so cute :)

OP
OP
Jill Sandwich

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, I haven't been getting thread alerts, I thought it'd died for some reason! The rides are getting colder and slippier now, I'm starting to wear my buff!

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
I have lost over a stone so far, also due to eating better as well.

Nice! In the first year since I started riding I lost 10kg. I don't want to lose any more weight now though, so I have to eat up after riding.
I feel a lot more energetic and happy.
Glad you found something thats working for you, keep at it!

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Nice! In the first year since I started riding I lost 10kg. I don't want to lose any more weight now though, so I have to eat up after riding.
I feel a lot more energetic and happy.
Glad you found something thats working for you, keep at it!

Yes I do feel a lot better in myself, but my BMI says I am still a stone over-weight this would take me to the upper level of the range of what I should be, I am going to keep with what I am doing to see where I maybe plateau or this time next year I could be very close to the weight I should be, but I am not sure I can go that far.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a bike commuting thread or this thread covers everything cycling?

I need some comfortable saddle recommendation for daily 25 mile commute. Got a folding ebike recently. It helps me get to work 10 minutes sooner than a 700c normal bike and I can skip the shower.

Last edited:

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a bike commuting thread or this thread covers everything cycling?

I need some comfortable saddle recommendation for daily 25 mile commute. Got a folding ebike recently. It helps me get to work 10 minutes sooner than a 700c normal bike and I can skip the shower.

Are you going to be stalling it outside? In that case don't take anything with foam or gel padding. It'll just soak up water and make for a horrible experience.
Selle Royal and Brooks are brands that make saddles that are more on the comfortable and less sporty end of the spectrum of cycling.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you going to be stalling it outside? In that case don't take anything with foam or gel padding. It'll just soak up water and make for a horrible experience.
Selle Royal and Brooks are brands that make saddles that are more on the comfortable and less sporty end of the spectrum of cycling.

The bike is locked outside during work, but I carry a rain cover and I will be using it to cover the electric bits of the bike.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Rode for two and a half hours today. Got off my bike half way for 30 seconds to fill my water bottles and stood in dog shit.

Deleted member 7878

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went on a bit of an epic on Saturday - from the centre of Edinburgh up to the high Pentlands and did the '5 Peaks' (West Kip, East Kip, Scald Law, Carnethy, and Turnhouse). Here's a pic from the first of the hills on the ridge (West Kip) - you can see the ridge stretching out behind. A fair bit of pushing, but some awesome downhills as a reward. This pic was taken only 2 hours from the centre of Edinburgh.

IMG_20171118_093950.jpg

Deleted member 7878

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dear me, Scotland is so beautiful.

I'm not sure if you know, but what is road cycling like in Scotland? I've been there a couple of times but never in the context of riding a roadbike.

It's good! As I said, I'm in Edinburgh but there are quiet routes every direction from the city for the road bikes. Plenty of quiet roads with not a great deal of traffic. We have the Lammermuir hills to the South, Fife to the North, and the Bathgate Alps out West. No shortage of places to go, and typically am away from the traffic very very quickly.

Still plenty of dickhead drivers who haven't read the highway code, especially about "no more than two abreast", but that's a very British problem I think.

Godan

Oct 30, 2017
Scotland
Hello all looking to getting into cycling and would maybe look for some advise here as i am not sure what to do.

I am 6'5 and weight around 300lbs so the thing i worry about is if i can find a bike for my size weight wise. I will be using the bike at first for going to and from work which looks to be about 10 miles a day but i hope that as i get fitter and figers crossed lighter i can start doing more cycling.

I am in the UK and just would like to know the best place to find a bike for me for what i am looking to do. From what i can see online it seems like a hybrid bike or mountain bike would be best right now for my size the issue is with the time of year it is right now i dont have a whole lot i can spend on one plus i don't want it to be a crazy price for just a first bike.

Thanks again all just want to get on a bike as soon as i can.

Deleted member 7878

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello all looking to getting into cycling and would maybe look for some advise here as i am not sure what to do.

I am 6'5 and weight around 300lbs so the thing i worry about is if i can find a bike for my size weight wise. I will be using the bike at first for going to and from work which looks to be about 10 miles a day but i hope that as i get fitter and figers crossed lighter i can start doing more cycling.

I am in the UK and just would like to know the best place to find a bike for me for what i am looking to do. From what i can see online it seems like a hybrid bike or mountain bike would be best right now for my size the issue is with the time of year it is right now i dont have a whole lot i can spend on one plus i don't want it to be a crazy price for just a first bike.

Whereabouts in the UK, if you don't mind me asking?

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017

I'd def. recommend going for a hybrid bike, they're more comfy than race/ road bikes and more tailored to your needs for city commuting than a mountain bike.
The wider wheels and geometry of a mountainbike make it less efficient to get around.
I think you'll get more use out of a hybrid bike as well. As you get faster and faster, the hybrid bike will last longer.

Godan

Oct 30, 2017
Scotland
Whereabouts in the UK, if you don't mind me asking?

I am in Glasgow.

I'd def. recommend going for a hybrid bike, they're more comfy than race/ road bikes and more tailored to your needs for city commuting than a mountain bike.
The wider wheels and geometry of a mountainbike make it less efficient to get around.
I think you'll get more use out of a hybrid bike as well. As you get faster and faster, the hybrid bike will last longer.

I see thanks. Will look into what Hybrid bikes are out there that i could get.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I went on a bit of an epic on Saturday - from the centre of Edinburgh up to the high Pentlands and did the '5 Peaks' (West Kip, East Kip, Scald Law, Carnethy, and Turnhouse). Here's a pic from the first of the hills on the ridge (West Kip) - you can see the ridge stretching out behind. A fair bit of pushing, but some awesome downhills as a reward. This pic was taken only 2 hours from the centre of Edinburgh.

IMG_20171118_093950.jpg
Very nice indeed! Us Edinburgh residents are spoiled for cycling routes.

Deleted member 7878

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My advice, Google for a 'local bike shop' in Glasgow that gets good reviews. Something like this:

https://g.co/kgs/dKczB6

For actual bikes, I avoid the chain stores (Halfords, Evans) though they're ok for clothing.

You want to find a local bike store run by someone passionate and knowledgeable, who can guide you rather than blind you with bullshit.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the NW corner of Edinburgh, so I get out to the Pentlands every once in a while. I do almost all of my miles as a commuter, though, as I don't have a great deal of free time at the weekends these days.

Petrapan

Oct 27, 2017
It's good! As I said, I'm in Edinburgh but there are quiet routes every direction from the city for the road bikes. Plenty of quiet roads with not a great deal of traffic. We have the Lammermuir hills to the South, Fife to the North, and the Bathgate Alps out West. No shortage of places to go, and typically am away from the traffic very very quickly.

Still plenty of dickhead drivers who haven't read the highway code, especially about "no more than two abreast", but that's a very British problem I think.

My father worked in Aberdeen fir two years and I didn't see many roads around the city that I would be comfortable riding on. Either full of traffic or narrow, bendy roads with almost no shoulder. Country roads were packed with dead pheasants. Is it normal to eat roadkill in scotland, they certainly looked delicious

Deleted member 7878

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last week I was out and about in glorious sunshine on top of the hills above Edinburgh. This week, something different, but just as cold.

(This was over past Falkirk, towards Glasgow, at Carron Valley, very much 'my first MTB trail' , but fun).

FB_IMG_1511711063198.jpg

FB_IMG_1511711072984.jpg

xzoowy

Oct 27, 2017
Nice pictures :) I need to find a way to do some outdoor sports during winter, Currently, I exclusively do indoor cycling on my smart trainer and strength training at the gym.

I just finished my first training plan on TrainerRoad and improved my FTP by 7%. Now starting the 'Sweet Spot Base Mid Volume 2' plan, hope this wont be too brutal with the newly updated FTP value.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Recently had to move my turbo to another room in the house and it's much warmer in there. Been using an old office fan up to now, but it's not doing enough in there and I'm melting. Anyone got any recommendations for a fan to use with the turbo that's not particularly expensive?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Recently had to move my turbo to another room in the house and it's much warmer in there. Been using an old office fan up to now, but it's not doing enough in there and I'm melting. Anyone got any recommendations for a fan to use with the turbo that's not particularly expensive?

Buy the biggest fan you can afford as you want it to move a ton of air. I think I spent $75 on mine at Lowes, which I think was this one https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lasko-20-in-3-Speed-Fan/1000225005

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, I bought some Garmin gadgets a couple of weeks ago. A Varia Rearview Radar and a heart rate monitor. Any tips of using the heart rate monitor? My max. BPM seems to be 190.

Last edited:

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Training related. Like the if the stay bellow 80% max BPM thing is indeed a good tip.