• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
www.relyonhorror.com

Sources: Resident Evil 8: Village Test Demo Details Leak - Rely on Horror

As the dust settles on REmake 3, return once again to the series' future as multiple, massive leaks reveal major details about Resident Evil 8: Village

A bit more details from some other sources. There is a lot more here, but here's two interesting bits:

The leaders of these beast-men appear to be a stalker-type woman that resembles a witch, who "haunts" Ethan during the demo, and a massive, "gorilla-like" monster man with "chains and a staff". The Witch cannot be killed and melts down into bugs when shot. She apparently has a distinctive laugh that lets you know when she's near.

Some versions of the demo appear to have you escape to a castle, while others have you meet up with a group of normal, human villagers and talk your way into their refuge to hide out from the monsters. One of the villagers inside begins to hallucinate, and eventually lashes out and begins to butcher the other villagers. You manage to escape with one of the other villagers, a woman who helped you into the house, as the hallucinating villager sets it ablaze. The demo ends here.

Abisales

Feb 5, 2019
Dont worry dusk hinted she will be back
images

Source? When he said that?

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
This sounds really fucking good. Y'all traditional RE fans just got two fantastic remakes. Let the franchise expand into other directions.

Oct 25, 2017
iirc it was always suggested that the mainline series would start to be first-person, but they would use things like revelations and remakes to keep fans happy. So hearing that RE8 is FP and leans horror again (even though this sounds way more action oriented than 7 or the Remakes) shouldn't be a surprise to serious fans who have been paying attention. People who come in with one-line "FPS I'm out" takes are always a bit silly, especially after getting 2 great 3rd person games.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
On the remarks of why Chris again? He is and always was the protagonist of this IP. An update to RE2 even put him into the Extreme Battle mode. REmake 2 + 3, RE3 and RE4 are the only mainline games where he isn´t playable in some mode. The 2.1 manga all have him. The first canonical stage play that has RE characters features him. He invaded the Leon anime films. 2 of the 3 Namco RPGS have him, etc. Have a look at THIS:
residentevil.fandom.com

Chris Redfield/appearances

Chris is modeled on vintage action heroes of the 80s and 90s and we all know how they kept with their roles well into their early 70s. Chris was born in 1973 so he is here to stay. It would also take a huge retcon to make Blue Umbrella "evil". Some of them sure but all of them? Nah. That´s what Red Umbrella is for.
It can be done, why not I say but this would again show how fast and loose Capcom plays with the plots after they closed down Flagship.
It really sucks that so much present-day RE lore is trapped in Umbrella Corps, Japan only airsoft gun manuals (!!!) and the like.

PS: I loved his back to basic look in RE7 and will note that Prime Beef Redfield was 185 cm tall and weigh 98 kg in his most iconic of moments:
448.gif

This is what happens if you vow to never run again from a boulder and get 11 years to train for the rematch!

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Can someone confirm if this is real yet so I can pass like RE7? I'm getting tired of these rumours. If Chris is a villain then they literally ruined this franchise as far as I am concerned lmfao and that's coming from someone who hates Chris so much.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if capcom will stop doing those ambassador tests with the how much this is leaking.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The many faced of Chris Redfield, my favorite game show:
36pbv27p0s711.png

And that´s not all kids! The short Before the Fall manga ain´t here (our one good manga), or Life Action Chris, or Hollywood Chris, or RE5 ad campaign Chris, or Pachislot Christ, or Clan Master Chris, or US comic Chris, or crossover game Chris, or... His agent sure keeps him busy.

This one always cracks me up:
latest

I lastly just noticed that the Redfield siblings share their innitails! Kinda smart Capcom. A 2 decade delay there. Hups.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
On the remarks of why Chris again? He is and always was the protagonist of this IP.

Always? Nah. Dude starred in the first game, then was a non-canon playable character in a side mode in a port of RE2, the secondary lead in a outsourced side game (CV), and starred alongside Jill in the original scenario in Umbrella Chronicles. Dude was absent from the main series for 7-9 years (depending on which game you start counting from) before returning in RE5.

Chris has starred in every game since 5 (plus appearing in the 3rd CG movie) sans ORC, UC and Rev 2, largely because of its success, the same reason why Leon has been so prominent following the success of RE4.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
They had better confirm that Ethan is the same one mentioned in RE5 if he's coming back.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Always? Nah. Dude starred in the first game, then was a non-canon playable character in a side mode in a port of RE2, the secondary lead in a outsourced side game (CV), and starred alongside Jill in the original scenario in Umbrella Chronicles. Dude was absent from the main series for 7-9 years (depending on which game you start counting from) before returning in RE5.

Chris has starred in every game since 5 (plus appearing in the 3rd CG movie) sans ORC, UC and Rev 2, largely because of its success, the same reason why Leon has been so prominent following the success of RE4.
Code Veronica is not a side game!
I guess you could say Chris is the main motivation of Claire coming to Raccoon City that makes him important until Claire finds him later, and Wesker got obsessed with Chris while he made Jill his slave

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope the VR support this time includes full motion controls.

I want to be able to do what I do in TWD: Saints & Sinners, I want to be able to grab a zombie and then stab a knife into it's head. Though I imagine that will be a lot to ask for since VR will just be an addon.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
RE lost its forward momentum after the RE 3.5 to RE4 deal and you may notice how Capcom quickly filled the Chris gap thereafter Sesha.
CVX is a mainline game (further written by Flagship unlike RE3), Rev 2 has him as part of the Raid mode and I overlooked Zero, he did skip that 2002 offering after all, but the only mainline game outside of Zero between REmake in 2002 and RE5 in 2009 was RE4. It may be a masterpiece but it didn´t have to be an RE game as everything got put on a bus there which further shows how little Mikami cares about game writing. The plot of RE1 mostly forced on him so he just said fuck it all the next time he got free reigns. I wonder if he would have even used Leon if there wasn´t so much RE 3.5 footage out there. Not that I can complain.

The only thing he wasn´t there for was the fall of RC as he was off in Europe, I think.
Chris already started to fill up his continuity gap in 2007´s UC where he gets top billing. Him and Jill lead the last Raid on Umrebella there, he witnesses the death of Spencer in RE5 (LiN) in 2006, he is a founding member of the BSAA in 2005, he is the reason the underfunded BSAA teamed up with Blue Umbrella, etc.

Why he joined Blue Umbrella, from Crimson Head Elder´s translation of the Samurai Edge ALBERT.W.MODEL 01 pack in material:
A lot of products and experimental data left by Albert Wesker were once again inspected in-house by the rehabilitated Umbrella Co. and were extremely effective in redeeming most of the old Umbrella Corp.'s dark legacy.
The anti-B.O.W. research results in particular mesmerized the researchers. You could call the fruits of that research the ultimate handheld weapons.
The results of basic research into renouncing biodiversity are included within, but we've excluded them in this document.
Part of the research envisioned combat in an unaffected state; alongside much conceptualizing of practical use by skilled combatants not equipped with weapons of mass destruction like viruses.
In a paper among his personal effects, he argues that weapons of mass destruction don't necessarily lead to improving the situation.
Unbound to the old regime, the "Blue" researchers have summed up those research results and are conducting development based on mass-production; to be supplied for testing to anti-biohazard units such as the B.S.A.A.

A major benefactor of the BSAA was TRICELL (and thus Wesker), complete BSAA units were killed on-screen as late as in Vendetta which is set in the mid-2010s and Blue has the best weapons. What we see in RE7 (NaH) is probably just a BSAA unit under the employment of Blue Umbrella.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
They had better confirm that Ethan is the same one mentioned in RE5 if he's coming back.

Between that, and this game seemingly being directly inspired by the original versions of RE4 (which would've elaborated on the Progenitor Virus in their own way), that would be one hell of a way to make things come "full circle".

Also would certainly elaborate on my earlier qualms about how Ethan definitely is NOT an ordinary guy.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ethan W. being an Umbrella executive with almost the highest level security clearance and Ethan Winters who happens to be married to a woman deeply involved in another corporation that designs and manufactures bio-organic weapons can't be a coincidence. His own seeming obliviousness to what was going on in RE7 seemed to imply he wasn't exactly new to this rodeo and to this day I still believe it was Umbrella he told where he was going and they sent Chris Redfield to clean up.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
About that guy:
Ethan, born in 1984, would be a bit young here but Wesker became a doctor at age 17.

I wouldn´t say this is needed though due to Mia already being knee-deep in (Wesker related) RE lore. At a petty young age too.
residentevil.fandom.com

The Connections

The Connections is a crime syndicate founded by Brandon Bailey, involved in BC (Bio-Chemical) research, money laundering, murder and trafficking of weapons and drugs. The Connections encountered Miranda and offered her their help in finding a means to resurrect her daughter Eva. Miranda, in...
And let's not pretend that the backstories for Rebeca, Jill or even Chris make sense. Age is but a number for RE as Alexia proved.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Ethan W. being an Umbrella executive with almost the highest level security clearance and Ethan Winters who happens to be married to a woman deeply involved in another corporation that designs and manufactures bio-organic weapons can't be a coincidence. His own seeming obliviousness to what was going on in RE7 seemed to imply he wasn't exactly new to this rodeo and to this day I still believe it was Umbrella he told where he was going and they sent Chris Redfield to clean up.

Even at the very end of his adventure, all he had to say upon seeing Chris and the Blue Umbrella dudes that arrived was "What took you so long?"

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Even at the very end of his adventure, all he had to say upon seeing Chris and the Blue Umbrella dudes that arrived was "What took you so long?"

To be fair wasn't that in response to talking to them on the radio before going into the mines? (Or listening to them? Can't remember which he did).

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
Can someone confirm if this is real yet so I can pass like RE7? I'm getting tired of these rumours. If Chris is a villain then they literally ruined this franchise as far as I am concerned lmfao and that's coming from someone who hates Chris so much.

remember this?
c655c8dfac1a2ce74742eff7c563180c.png

you don't really think chris is going to turn truly evil do you? especially if the game features hallucinations as a big plot point

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Nah, Dusk Golem said only 2 RE games this fiscal year. I'm gonna guess either SFVI or MH Switch (probably the former).
If there was only one other Capcom reveal planned for E3 I think a Monster Hunter game makes more sense. SF6 would be revealed at a Sony event outside of E3, I think. Well, you could count a Sony event in July or late June or whatever part of E3 but I personally don't since Sony seems to want nothing to do with E3 anymore.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Only thing

Here's my personal belief, speculation, whatever you'd like to call it.

RE7 and 8 is basically a new direction for the series with new protagonists, like Ethan and Mia. The REmakes on the other hand are a way of still keeping the OG Heroes in the spotlight. But where I begin to speculate, is that the REmakes may also serve as a reboot for the older stories. The way RE2-CV ended, is that the protagonists mention in the endings that they're gonna take down Umbrella. There seemed to be implication back in the day, that eventually the protagonists would all come together in one game. But instead we got Resident Evil 4. Not that I'm complaining, 4 was a fantastic game. However I wouldn't be surprised if in the future we get games that serve as sequels to the REmakes, starring the new versions of these characters, that fill the gap between CV and RE4.
I think so too.

I feel RE7 is on it's own path while the OG games will take it on a different path. Interesting times. There could be 2 versions of each character lol. Evil Chris in the new main plot while OG Chris is saving the day with Clair. :)

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
This seems cool but I'm hoping they don't overcorrect and make Chris into a meathead that doesn't look like a normal human. I actually really liked his redesign even though he looked nothing like old Chris -- I thought the photorealism "normal but kinda buff guy" aesthetic worked well for him. His REmake design is okay but I'd rather not think about RE5/6 gorillaman Chris.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, reading this leak makes me scratch my head about what exactly they are doing with Chris's character.

RE5 he has issues connecting because he lost Jill

RE6 he gets PTSD because he feels he got his men killed

RE7 he's working for "Blue Umbrella" for some reason and he looks so different people were convinced he was Hunk until the "Not a Hero" DLC

and now RE8 he is a villain/untrustworthy?

It's so weird because Chris is the only character with 4 mainline appearances in a row, but he feels like a different character in each game he appears in.

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm going with the idea that they are remaking RE4 but that and RE8 are the same thing. They'll be finishing 3.5.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Honestly, reading this leak makes me scratch my head about what exactly they are doing with Chris's character.

RE5 he has issues connecting because he lost Jill

RE6 he gets PTSD because he feels he got his men killed

RE7 he's working for "Blue Umbrella" for some reason and he looks so different people were convinced he was Hunk until the "Not a Hero" DLC

and now RE8 he is a villain/untrustworthy?

It's so weird because Chris is the only character with 4 mainline appearances in a row, but he feels like a different character in each game he appears in.
Almost as weird as Leon being a wimpy fuckboi in RE2, then being an action hero one-liner Chad in RE4, to then being a generic "cool" guy who spouts no one-liners in RE6.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
People read too much into this Chris is a villain thing.
It's a game about some hallucinations shenanigans. Chris will see some weird shit and will try to kill you because of this.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

Doesnt he say "what took you guys so long" at the end of 7 as well? I assumed he was "affiliated" in some way, I went to wiki immediately after I heard that line because I thought I had missed something in the story. Would make sense that he was undercover keeping an eye on Mia

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Doesnt he say "what took you guys so long" at the end of 7 as well? I assumed he was "affiliated" in some way, I went to wiki immediately after I heard that line because I thought I had missed something in the story. Would make sense that he was undercover keeping an eye on Mia

Yep. Or on the other hand, Mia could've been cozying up to him, in order to try to get at his secrets for the sake of her own employer. I think there's more than a couple of ways to take why Mia said she was "sorry for lying to him", in her last message to him that kicked off Ethan's involvement in RE7.

If Ethan truly was a guy who somehow escaped Spencer's order to terminate all Level 9/10 employees, then it'd might make sense why he probably was otherwise keeping a low profile.