• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
VC1bPPz.jpg

techcrunch.com

Beyond Meat is introducing pre-packaged meatballs at stores across the US | TechCrunch

Indulging in American food companies' favorite pastime of marketing innovations that no one needs but potentially everyone wants, Beyond Meat is launching

Indulging in American food companies' favorite pastime of marketing innovations that no one needs but potentially everyone wants, Beyond Meat is launching Beyond Meatballs in grocery stores nationwide this week. The new product can be put on top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese, and comes pre-spiced with a blend of Italian spices, according to a company statement.

The company's meatballs have 30% less saturated fat and sodium than real meat and will be available at Whole Foods, Stop & Shop, Sprouts, Harris Teeter, Kroger and Albertsons, and more by early October, according to the statement.

These are launching this week. I guess it's not that exciting since it's just a slightly spiced and pre-balled version of their beef which is already available. An excuse to make a vegan meat thread though 🤷‍♂️ .

They now have a few ground beef varients, burgers, sausages, and breakfast sausages.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I kind of stopped with the fake meat thing because I've been fine simply eating fish every day but might have to get back into it and check these out.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is one of the times i wish costco still had samples so i can try it that way. not gonna buy a package since i rather buy real meatballs with that money.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Definitely gonna try this i am willing to use good meat substitutes when possible. As their burger product is eerily Similar to beef and turkey burgers.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I wish it was cheaper in Sweden. You can get like 4 other meals done for the price of 1 package of Beyond Meat.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
there's so much good fake meat these days it's wonderful lol

Quorn chicken is like next level fake meat, that should really be more ubiquitous

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
I kind of stopped with the fake meat thing because I've been fine simply eating fish every day but might have to get back into it and check these out.
Don't eat too much now! Mercury poisoning is a thing. My friend got mercury poisoning a few years back from eating fish almost exclusively. Obviously chances are pretty low but.. you're never too sure lol.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
My g/f has been getting the Spicy Italian sausages and they are shockingly good. I'll have to tell her about these.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Wish they brought the chicken strips back they weren't amazing but they load these meat products with so much saturated fats I don't really eat them anymore.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait for Beyond/Impossible 🥓 & 🍤 & 🍗
Not Beyond / Impossible and no idea how good these are but re: 🍤 -https://vegnews.com/2020/9/vegan-crab-cakes-and-breaded-shrimp-launch-at-400-walmart-stores

there's so much good fake meat these days it's wonderful lol
Yeah it's wild. I don't even buy fake meats that much but even grocery store brands here have their own godlike offerings for cheap.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Gluten free meatballs are insanely hard to find. I'll have to get a box for my son with celiac.

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond's meat is fantastic. I've never gotten pre-made burgers from supermarkets (the few times I've had I've just made them from raw ground beef), but I've bought their burgers a number of times because they taste so good

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I wish it was cheaper in Sweden. You can get like 4 other meals done for the price of 1 package of Beyond Meat.
That's partly why I never opt for it. The cheaper offerings in Germany here are really good. I'd say the Beyond patties are slightly better, but also more fatty and smoke my kitchen way more.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

PLEASE do not eat fish/seafood in general every day, fish have mercury in them and while a normal amount of fish eating will never cause mercury poisoning if you're eating it 1 (or more) times a day every day you have a very high risk of causing mercury poisoning to yourself which can kill you or severely fuck you up.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'm down to try it, I was buying some other fake meatball for a while but stopped after like 1 in 5 meatballs had some hard thing in it. I like beyonds ground beef.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
I use Beyond and Impossible products quite a bit so I'm happy to see them continue to expand the lineup. I will say I like Impossible as a product more. Think it nails it better than Beyond, but Beyond is still great. The first ones almost had like a croquet type thing going on. less so with Beyond version 2.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I wish their product was more affordable. I would love to replace at least half my meat with plant based, but it's still not cost effective yet. I've loved every Beyond burger I've ever had so I'll probably at least try these.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the Beyond meat sausages, but they weren't amazing. Did not like the spice mix they used. The burgers though, are fantastic but very expensive in Sweden.
I've tried most vegan products I could find and the pea-based stuff is by far the best. I really do not like soy or Quorn.
Anyway, will definitely try the meat balls.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Beyond Meat is legit good stuff, I will have to try these. I doubt I ever stop eating meat completely but these have definitely cut the intake down by a lot.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Honestly, they were pretty tasty but needed more texture in the Subway Beyond Meatball Sandwich.

But if I'm preparing them, I could probably crisp them up a bit in a pan for some extra texture.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
That's a good idea. Meatballs are easily masked by the sauce/cheese/bread/sauce/etc around them.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I tried Impossible burger a while back when my grocery store had it on sale, and used it to make some keema matar and pad ka-prao. Worked really well; these kinds of heavily-spiced dishes seem like a good fit for these products at this point. (Taste was clearly somewhat different from real meat, but not bad at all—I think the focus should be on that, rather than on whether it can "fool" people.)

Last edited:

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
This stuff is pretty good. I made sloppy joes with beyond meat a little while ago, it was virtually the same taste and texture as normal. It cooks a little different, but I'm convinced this stuff is going to be the future.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Mark Rober made a great video on this subject. It's the same company too. He even cooked a burger for Bill Gates. Definitely check it out if you're curious about how it's made, how it tastes, and the impact on the environment.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
What's up with the packaging for all of Beyond Meat's stuff? It seems so wasteful but perhaps I'm wrong.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Slightly different product, but I'm finally starting to see my local supermarkets up here in NW GA selling the Impossible Burger. I guess we're about a year or so behind much of the nation on certain meat substitutes.

PLEASE do not eat fish/seafood in general every day, fish have mercury in them and while a normal amount of fish eating will never cause mercury poisoning if you're eating it 1 (or more) times a day every day you have a very high risk of causing mercury poisoning to yourself which can kill you or severely fuck you up.
This is overstated. As long as you do your due diligence, know where your seafood is coming from, and primarily stick to species low at risk for mercury, you should be fine. I was pescatarian for a few years (before rising seafood pri¢e$ kind of drove me back into the arms of poultry), eating seafood every day, and never had any issues.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it a shot. Enjoyed their burger "meat" the sausage not so much

Also side note IKEA has veggie meatballs and they are soooooooo good. Shame that they're more annoying to get now due to Covid.

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
I had Beyond burger for the first time last week and I was impressed, will definitely get then again. Got the frozen ones from a supermarket, ÂŁ4.40 for a pack of 2 so not cheap.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
in as always

fellow junk food veg people, what up

What's up with the packaging for all of Beyond Meat's stuff? It seems so wasteful but perhaps I'm wrong.
Their new Cookout Classic value-sized burger packaging reduced the amount of plastic used compared to bundles sold at American warehouse clubs. Hopefully we see a similar reduction in plastic across their other products.

While both Cookout Classic and Beyond Burgers are plant-based patties, they are slightly different products. Cookout Classic has 18g of protein from peas and brown rice, and features 10 loose patties in a green recyclable carton.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
neat

I've never had much issue with regular plant "meat" balls that are sold in stores, but it's nice to have something a bit more "real" to offer people who aren't fully onboard with meatball flavored soy nuggets

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
gotta try out more of this stuff. had an impossible burger at disneyland in january and wouldn't have known it didn't contain meat. the look, weight, smell, texture, and flavor was pretty spot-on.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never tried their meatball yet an I'm not a fan of their patties but the ad does look good.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Mark Rober made a great video on this subject. It's the same company too. He even cooked a burger for Bill Gates. Definitely check it out if you're curious about how it's made, how it tastes, and the impact on the environment.

Great video.

Some pretty cool charts and figures that reframe some of this stuff pretty well for me and was one of the reason why I stopped eating meat last year.

CwejoUc.png

Average meat eater gets roughly a little over half of their protein from non-meat sources.

bVrERMs.png

Average meat eater gets roughly 10% of their daily energy from meat.

mKkt0BQ.png

USA Land usage visual. The green section shows the amount of land used for food we actually eat: which accounts for 90% of our daily energy intake, whereas the red and pink sections account for only 10% of our daily energy intake. Costs roughly 8 calories to produce 1 calorie of beef.

nDBwNJR.png

This is a visual representing the amount of food produced per equivalent water cost of 2 equivalent protein sources: Burger vs PB Sandwich (20g protein @ ~250 calories). Where it costs the amount of water shown in this pool to produce either the 24 patties, or year's+ worth of supply of PB sandwiches:

UZlyG07.png

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
IKEA's fakemeatballs launched here in Switzerland recently, I'm sure they're available to you.
Also side note IKEA has veggie meatballs and they are soooooooo good. Shame that they're more annoying to get now due to Covid.
Speaking of Ikea

vegnews.com

IKEA Adds Vegan Katsu Curry, Cabbage Rolls, and Chocolate Mousse to Menus in Japan

To meet its sustainability goals, the furniture giant is introducing a variety of plant-based meals to its menus worldwide.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I really like their burgers, but the seasoning they use only really works with burgers. I tried the Beyond Meat ground "beef" and used it in chili and the seasoning on the "beef" was just too overpowering and made the whole batch taste funny. I imagine the meatballs will be similar.