• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Give us all your top 5 life improvements

1. Lost a lot of weight
2. Much healthier diet, making me feel more energetic and invigorated
3. Discovered a new love for food and cooking by being "forced" to eat new things.
4. Found new social groups and friends
5. Had long been harbouring guilt about consuming animal products and animals, now that is gone.

Those are my personal benefits. Not to mention the environmental impact.

I emplore everyone to go vegan. It will change your life for the better. That is all.

Quoting you for support đź‘Ť

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
How do you know someone isn't vegan? Don't worry, they'll make the same tired jokes and also support animal abuse for their trivial taste pleasure
Virtually every human activity can be linked to material suffering of other organisms. It's impossible to exist within modern society and not contribute to it. I say this not as a an exercise in nihilism, but to point out that isolating focus to a single issue is an oversimplification of ethical existence. Same reason that "single issue" voters are so maligned.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What are the benefits of veganism vs vegetarian from a pure human health standpoint?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm so looking forward to trying the new formula once I clear out the Beyond Burgers in my freezer, if the new formula is available near me. Just made a Beyond Burger with smashed avocado and vegetable BBQ sauce yesterday.

I'd love for Beyond Meat to reintroduce chicken into their lineup. I miss the strips at grocery stores (I think I can still get it at a fast food joint like Tropical Smoothie Cafe), and I miss when Beyond Meat used to do frozen meals and other interesting snacky items. But at least we have a bunch of other non-veg brands incorporating Beyond Meat into their lines now, which is actually the bigger move.

Def not missing Beyond Meat's original Beast Burger athlete-supplement hockey puck patty - oh how far we've come!

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they increase stock or availability. They don't have these in my town, but all the other major brands are there.

Oct 28, 2017
Virtually every human activity can be linked to material suffering of other organisms. It's impossible to exist within modern society and not contribute to it. I say this not as a an exercise in nihilism, but to point out that isolating focus to a single issue is an oversimplification of ethical existence. Same reason that "single issue" voters are so maligned.
Every single vegan knows this. The point is to reduce the amount of suffering we create, and not murdering tens of billions of land mammals and uncountable sea animals every year, in the process significantly increasing environmental destruction and public health crises, at the cost of taste preferences and a little convenience is such a simple but powerful thing we can do that it is practically a moral baseline.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
This made me wonder, if the price gets down to regular meat (or even cheaper), I wonder if it's only a matter of time before we see at least 1 large-scale fast food place be either all plant based or mostly plant based.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Every single vegan knows this. The point is to reduce the amount of suffering we create, and not murdering tens of billions of land mammals and uncountable sea animals every year, in the process significantly increasing environmental destruction and public health crises, at the cost of taste preferences and a little convenience is such a simple but powerful thing we can do that it is practically a moral baseline.
I agree with that, but isolating a single issue as a means of evangelizing a cause just causes people to use it an excuse to ignore something entirely. Of course, if the goal is just to pass judgement and not get people to make material progress to an ultimate goal, then go right ahead.

Oct 28, 2017
What are the benefits of veganism vs vegetarian from a pure human health standpoint?
Veganism is an ethical position, health has little to nothing to do with it (though many people first try a plant-based diet for health reasons, of course). There is mixed research on your question from a personal health standpoint, but I would point out that the pollution created by the dairy industry affects public health, zoonotic diseases like coronavirus would be even less common in a vegan than vegetarian world, and we would create less antibiotic-resistant bacteria if we stopped animal agriculture completely rather than just partially (80% of antibiotics are fed to animals).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Now this, I honestly don't actually know the answer to

I guess you'd be avoiding very high calorie foods like cheese, but like... I'm a guy who can sit down and eat 500+ calories of peanut butter if left to my own devices, and that's 100% vegan, so it's not like it's a catch all for high calorie foods

I eat vegan during the week (I am 100% vegetarian at all times), but I'll eat cheese on the weekends or when out at a restaurant mostly for convenience sake when with my parents. And also because I just like nachos and pizza a lot... But I'll say my highest calorie days are 100% always when I'm not eating vegan food, but those are also days I'm not cooking for myself, so that probably matters a lot too. That cheese adds up FAST

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with that, but isolating a single issue as a means of evangelizing a cause just causes people to use it an excuse to ignore something entirely. Of course, if the goal is just to pass judgement and not get people to make material progress to an ultimate goal, then go right ahead.
Nobody said anything about ignoring other issues. Luckily we can, for example, support gay rights, oppose fossil fuels and march against police brutality while not murdering animals for a snack.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Wish they'd put all this energy into vegan dairy products (specifically cheese)

Burgers have always had fantastic substitutes. Sure, they weren't meat flavored or whatever, but they tasted great, were cheap, and worked perfectly fine as a sandwich

Meanwhile vegan cheese is still a goopy mess of mediocrity that only vaguely resembles cheese and never quite tastes or feels right
Are you familiar with Perfect Day, the company making animal-free dairy protein? I've been following them since 2014, and I was actually surprised to catch ice cream using their protein in my local grocery within the past week with no fanfare - tastes like dairy-dairy. It's just ice cream right now, but it feels like a huge step. Milk and cheese might be coming up soon.

For what it's worth, I believe Impossible Meat has stated publicly that they have faux-dairy in their R&D after their reveal/launch of pork. Not sure about Beyond Meat. But Perfect Day is primed.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Are you familiar with Perfect Day, the company making animal-free dairy protein? I've been following them since 2014, and I was actually surprised to catch ice cream using their protein in my local grocery within the past week with no fanfare - tastes like dairy-dairy. It's just ice cream right now, but it feels like a huge step. Milk and cheese might be coming up soon.

For what it's worth, I believe Impossible Meat has stated publicly that they have faux-dairy in their R&D after their reveal/launch of pork. Not sure about Beyond Meat. But Perfect Day is primed.
I've never heard of them before. I don't really eat ice cream, so I don't look in that aisle much. I also grocery shop at either Walmart or Trader Joe's, and neither are likely to carry anything like that any time soon

But it'll be fantastic if they can get out a mozzarella or cheddar alternative

Pork would also be neat to have. Veggie sausages always go way too heavy on sage and have a funky texture. And fake bacon is just comedy. Like eating a giant baco lol. So if they can get stuff like that working, I'll be a lot more excited than for their beef alternatives.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Nobody said anything about ignoring other issues. Luckily we can, for example, support gay rights, oppose fossil fuels and march against police brutality while not murdering animals for a snack.
We murder animals when we deny them habitat by using trees to pick broccoli out our teeth. We erode natural habitats to send electrons the equivalents of thousands of miles so we can laugh at a dancing Chihuahua. Any human activity can be steeped in frivolous language.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I can go full vegetarian or vegan but over the last 2 years I have cut all cow products from my diet. Last to go was milk, I found Oatly barista edition a good substitute for my needs - for cereal and coffee.

Kinda wanted to try Impossible or Beyond. I think Beyond has become available in the UK super markets recently.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
This made me wonder, if the price gets down to regular meat (or even cheaper), I wonder if it's only a matter of time before we see at least 1 large-scale fast food place be either all plant based or mostly plant based.
I wouldn't be surprised. Some chains like Freshii already lean into a healthy/green theme.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

I haven't tried N!cks which my grocery store has, so I'll definitely give that a go. I'm a big fan of Eclipse Food's products in the ice cream space. Those have the texture down *perfectly*. They don't taste like *cream* but you wouldn't notice that when you're eating their chocolate or cookie variants. Really good stuff I'd recommend.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time I've heard this very funny joke!

Well, tbh - you serve that cliché quite well. Your post was a prime example and I'm saying this as someone where the diet is close to vegan now.

You guys also need to try Seitan. Quite good if you know how to prepare it. Tofu, aside from smoked, isn't my case at all though.
Beyond burgers are really nice so I look forward to the new version.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I emplore everyone to go vegan. It will change your life for the better. That is all.
I did it for about 3 months. Felt like garbage. Like something was missing.

Instead, I now cook vegan for about 75% of my meals and find that to be the right balance for me.

I rarely have any dairy or red meat at all. Maybe 1% of my meals for the year have dairy or red meat. Everything else is grains, veggies, fruit, and the occasional fish and chicken.

You can't just tell people to give up meat altogether. It's really hard. But moderation is probably more realistic.

lil jetski

Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Avatar shaming, history of antagonizing other users
Well, tbh - you serve that cliché quite well. Your post was a prime example and I'm saying this as someone where the diet is close to vegan now.

You guys also need to try Seitan. Quite good if you know how to prepare it. Tofu, aside from smoked, isn't my case at all though.
OK, guy with anime avatar

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

I've been hearing a lot of good things about seitan. I have Upton's chorizo in my freezer right now because of that. I'll try it with my eggs tomorrow.

OP
OP
Walter White Walker
Oct 27, 2017

Tofu jerky is great and something I make about once a month.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll pass, but thank you.

Excited for meat alternatives to continue getting better, though. I'd totally integrate them more into my diet.
Same here. If we can get to a point where we just replace ground beef we replace nearly 80% of the used beef supply same goes for dairy. It was interesting to learn something like 70-80% of milk goes to powdered milk products, so producing alternatives to just two animal products is world changing levels and the most important.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Price parity by 2024 sounds like a good deal, though it'll definitely be a bit longer for that to happen where I live as I live in a very dairy centric area and thus fresh ground beef is super cheap for me at my local grocery store.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I just wish I liked the taste. I love Impossible patties, but beyond just wasn't quite there when I had it a few years ago.

I'll try the new formula, if I can find it near me.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Highly doubt they'd be able to get to price parity without subsidies but hey here's hoping.

Samara

Oct 25, 2017
Québec
Yeah, that's currently my plan. I've been slowly giving up ground beef & using Impossible whenever I can. Tried Beyond ground, but I hate it (weirdly don't have a problem with their burgers though). Waiting for the cheesesteak plant option & 3D steak to give up beef completely. And I finally got my Atlas Monroe order in so I can see what that's about as well. Just recently had the Raised & Rooted chicken nuggets & was surprised by how good it was.

Look at all those options for chicken. We only got gardein. Beyond meat need to work on this. Chicken is way more versatile than ground veggie meat.

And imma need someone to make a breakfast sausage.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Price parity would convert me wholesale to the Beyond Meat life, at least for any red meat based meals and dishes.

Oct 25, 2017
nice, excited to try the new version
will lookout for the new red tag
impossible is the best but harder to find and more expensive and beyond has been a good alternative to that
i may be vegetarian but i still love me a burger so these alternatives have been great

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Wish they'd put all this energy into vegan dairy products (specifically cheese)

Burgers have always had fantastic substitutes. Sure, they weren't meat flavored or whatever, but they tasted great, were cheap, and worked perfectly fine as a sandwich

Meanwhile vegan cheese is still a goopy mess of mediocrity that only vaguely resembles cheese and never quite tastes or feels right

Agreed.

My wife is allergic to dairy so we regularly cycle through any number of 'milks' and other products. There are some grated fake cheeses that are sort of passable if you imagine you're eating cheese that's been sitting out on the counter for a day or two and your tastebuds aren't working.

They're also sheer garbage in terms of nutrition. All the ones I've seen are just assorted vegetable oils and binders/thickeners.

I could cut out meat far easier than I could cut out cheese and milk.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Does anybody know of a chicken breast substitute? I can only ever find chicken nuggets or breaded chicken patties.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Wish these were lower in salt. Reducing that should be the next major change. Ground beef is actually pretty low in sodium.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Eating mostly vegetarian with a minimal amount of lean meat is even better? From what I can tell.

I think it is easier to ask people to cut back on meat rather than give it up altogether as well.
When I eat a vegan menu for weeks at a time the thing I miss more than meat is cheese and eggs tbh. Eggs are so quick to whip up for breakfast and vegan cheeses are passable at best.

Everyone is different though. I know some people love steak. I've never been big into steak so if we're talking meat, I'd say it's harder to give up seafood.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I don't see the price parity thing happening, if only because the meat industry will lobby local governments to help them and subsidize the price of beef to make sure it's always the more affordable option.

Wish these were lower in salt. Reducing that should be the next major change. Ground beef is actually pretty low in sodium.

They don't seem "that" bad in sodium content. If you're living the lifestyle where beyond meat is in your diet, you've probably also cut out sodium in enough other unhealthy places to more than compensate. Daily recommended intake is like 2300mg. A 400mg sodium burger isnt too unreasonable.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
For the health concerns, the idea is you shouldn't be eating these everyday anyways similarly to how people shouldn't be eating red meat much, if at all, due to it having health problems long term and short term. They are treats and that concept had been really abused when fast food got so pervasive to be the go to after work meal.

Your daily intake for veganism should be nuts, veggies, tofu, fungi, beans, ect. A vegan pizza or burger are fine, just don't overdo it (like me, I love pizza far too much for my own good).

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
As a GP:
Veganism is an unhealthy diet. It requires suplementation of a few micronutrients (like b12, iron and calcium). Its hard( or impossible) to get micronutrients without supplementation which means that someone that practices veganism needs to have a high amount of education, intelligence and medical following to not have side effects (they usually occur 5-8 years after starting diet).

Vegetarian is a good diet for obese people. It has low calorie intake and usually has enough variety that isn't missing any micronutrient. It is not suited for professional sportsmen, thin people and menstruating women. Usually these demographics will have a hard time not having side effects of the diet due to their unique "high" intake needed of micro and macronutrients.

The evidence I know (read that as the entities that command my practice such as DGS and the SNS) all recommend a Mediterranean diet. Which is a diet with a lot of seasonable vegetable and fruits and occasional meat/fish. In portugal at least those that practice that diet usually have healthier and live longer better lives.

Those are the diets benefit/maluses in a summary form with just "pure" human health standpoint. I hope it helps you.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Highly doubt they'd be able to get to price parity without subsidies but hey here's hoping.
Think of it like this: You have to grow orders of magnitude more crops to generate one pound of beef from a cow than to make one pound of plant based meat, just from the fact you have to feed that cow for at least a year and a half before you can slaughter it for beef.

Price parity is only a matter of time.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Look at all those options for chicken. We only got gardein. Beyond meat need to work on this. Chicken is way more versatile than ground veggie meat.

And imma need someone to make a breakfast sausage.
Beyond makes breakfast sausage, no? I know I've seen it a few times.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I'm eager for lab grown meat to have its big breakthrough like Impossible and Beyond did. I did read they recently achieved mimicking muscle fibers and that is a big part of what makes steak, steak.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
vegetarian is better. Vegan is too much work to have all your nutrients. That is all.
Wow, amazingly terrible take! Thanks

The take was no worse than the one that was being quoted.

Sorry, but if you're going to make the statement that veganism will change your life you'll need to give me receipts.

The real life-changer is getting away from processed junk, which Beyond seems to be littered with.

Remember everyone, ya don't need to ask someone if they're vegan--they'll let you know
Ha for real.