• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Beyond Good and Evil 2 was announced in the 2000s (May 2008) and will release (probably!) in the 2020s, Duke Nukem Forever was announced in 1997 and was released in 2011. Both skipped over the entire next decade after their announcement, has any other released game done that? (again, assuming BG&E2 will be released in the 2020s is an assumption...)

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
One major difference though is that Duke, while changing engines and features, was always more or less the same project.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Nioh didn't quite make it two decades, but it came close. IIRC, it was first announced as a PS2 title named Oni, based on a script by Akira Kurosawa. He died before he could make the movie. Kurosawa's son then made a cross-medium deal where Koei would make the game and Kurosawa's son would make the movie. Over time, he lost interest in making the movie, and the game fell into development hell for over a decade before being revived as Nioh. It evidently doesn't share much with the original script- only that it's about an Englishman come to Japan to rescue a loved one from an evil man and ends up meeting Tokugawa Ieyasu in the process. The yokai and explicit link to William Adams and the Sekigahara campaign came with the Nioh revival.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The Fool and His Money.

Popular puzzle game, The Fool's Errand is released in 1987.
Sequel announced with expected release in 2003.
Sequel actually comes out in 2012.

I remember when it came out, everyone who remembered it was shocked that it actually existed.

I've got some Kickstarters that, while not quite DNF levels, are well on their way.

Heart Forth, Alicia

Kickstarter funded (so they had already been working on it before this) - May 2014
Estimated delivery - April 2015
Still not released and they haven't committed to a 2020 release date yet

The developer releases frequent updates with gifs. I played their demo at E3 a few years ago and it was rather good. I imagine the game will come out at some point and isn't vaporware. But yeah, it's taking a LONG time.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The full story of Shenmue will take 4 decades.
For BGE2, I don't think there was a game at any moment before the new announcement.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't been 20 years since the original announcement, it's been what, 11? Saying two decades is an extreme exaggeration. Now, it could be two decades before the game gets released...

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
The Fool and His Money.

Popular puzzle game, The Fool's Errand is released in 1987.
Sequel announced with expected release in 2003.
Sequel actually comes out in 2012.

I remember when it came out, everyone who remembered it was shocked that it actually existed.

It's pretty startling to hear about this on here. Fools Errand was like one of those quintessential Mac games from the 80's.

speaking of Mac games, Return to Dark Castle Was announced mid 90's and came out in 2008.