• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hello. One of my favourite games of gen 6 was BG&E, a Zelda-like that was crammed with even more charm than the average Nintendo release at the time, which was a LOT.
So the game sold like shit and was, in endlife, used as pack-ins for dairy products.
Then, in E3 2017, a trailer was released. Suddenly this project had life again. Guillemot, who I assume is so flush with AC money, decides to greenlight Ancel's most probable dream project in my eyes.
The trailer is divisive. Some deride it for the sudden 'mature' turn that occurs. Personally, I see a wider palette for Ancel to really flex the socio/political themes of the original game. Much the same way that so many senior directors got a take at a more mature effort this gen, I wish the same of Ansel.
I've been on media blackout since the second trailer, but how do others feel about the prospect of the game? Please share in this thread, thanks.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This game didn't even resurface yet. I forgot it existed again. Just wait & see

Considering how Ubisoft is headed for a terrible year, I think this game is the most likely Target to get kneecapped in terms of ambition and scale

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NotMyBG&E
it's looks nothing like the game i loved, so it's really hard for me to be excited about it. it also doesn't look like a game that will come out anytime soon, or look like anything we've seen so far when it does come out.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Honestly, it's not the BG&E I wanted. It's very ambitious. But I worry that Ancel will lose interest and it will not even end up releasing because it is such an ambitious project. But I do have a mild interest. I'll definitely wait for reviews and feedback before I fully invest though.

Dec 31, 2017
#NotMyBG&E
it's looks nothing like the game i loved, so it's really hard for me to be excited about it. it also doesn't look like a game that will come out anytime soon, or look like anything we've seen so far when it does come out.
The first "The Pig" trailer came out of nowhere and hyped me to shit.

The leaked "The Girl" clip looked cool and I'm line with the first.

The re-debut had a different time but I was willing to give it a chance.

Learning it's a mmo time waster broke my heart. Zero interest.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
As a huge fan of the original game, I hate that I have absolutely no interest in this game. Would have never guessed I'd be saying this statement 10 years ago...

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Zero because we've heard and seen basically nothing of substance about it and likely won't for some time.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Always heard about how great the first game was and how it was the better Zelda of that year, and how much fans clamored for a followup but then when they announced it, it's this weird No Man Sky Knock off that looks way too ambitious.
I still don't understand how this game is supposed to work and Ubisoft doesn't seem to know themselves if it's a prequel or sequel.
Still want to get to the first game sometime, if it's with the PC Version, the last Gen HD Version or the PS2 version.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Personally, I see a wider palette for Ancel to really flex the socio/political themes of the original game. Much the same way that so many senior directors got a take at a more mature effort this gen, I wish the same of Ansel.
You're probably gonna like this game OP.

The first "The Pig" trailer came out of nowhere and hyped me to shit.

The leaked "The Girl" clip looked cool and I'm line with the first.

The re-debut had a different time but I was willing to give it a chance.

Learning it's a mmo time waster broke my heart. Zero interest.
It's not an MMO.

Zero because we've heard and seen basically nothing of substance about it and likely won't for some time.
Tens months ago we had a 26 minute gameplay demonstration.

and a succinct breakdown of what was shown.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks crazily ambitious, i'm hype for it. Ubisoft tends to make pretty good games and they're giving this one a lot of time in the oven, so i'm excited to see what it ends up being.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Cool reveal trailer. But hype is 0 at this point. Needs to be re-introduced when it's ready.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's obviously going to be quite a departure from the first game. I have faith in the direction and talents of Ancel and friends, but expect it won't always be guided by them, as it appears to somehow have accumulated a budget and so Ubisoft needs it to make money.

So I'm very much looking forward to it, but am also somewhat worried.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a no hype rule until I see gameplay. It takes more than magic developer words and some cinematic trailer to get me excited because I don't trust it.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CG announcement trailer was cool, but it's hard to get hyped for something that we basically haven't seen. I know they showed a couple of super early gameplay tech-demo type things, but that hardly counts.

We have no real idea what this game is going to look or play like. Conceptually it could be cool, but there's no there there, at least not yet.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It's still here for me, but judging how Ubisoft is treating all of their games is what worries me.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe this game is ever coming out so I have no hype for it. It looks neat though.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't mind the new gameplay style... until it was confirmed to be online-only. Now I'm hoping for WiLD to make a comeback and have a good singleplayer.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I love BG&E to bits, but I somehow can't see current Ubisoft releasing a game like that, only bigger.

It's probably going to be chock full of weird monetization, will have 50 different editions, regular paid updates and will force you to weird social hubs. In short, it will be almost certainly GaaSed to all fuck.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Eh... I hope Ancel can pull it off, but so far, it looks like Open-World Ubisoft Game wearing a BG&E skin, which doesn't seem that appealing to me...

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's way easier for me to feel cynical than hype at this point. I really hope it's good but . . . it doesn't seem like the BG&E2 I wanted from either a gameplay or story perspective.

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
I will play it when it comes out as I love everything non Rabbit based Ancel has done.
They should just call it Beyond Good and Evil though.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing that its gonna be a gaas that open world and most likely will be filled with mtxs, I don't have high hope for it

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I am skeptical on how good the storytelling and character writing is with this online gigantic open universe.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Right I saw that just now and I think it's a shame that this is how I find out. It's someone's job to sell the game to potential customers at Ubisoft and during the reveal at E3 they chose not to show the actual game.

Honestly the gameplay bit they've shown all look early / vertical slice-y to me, and that CG trailer was clearly a much better way to sell to a wide audience.

It's one of those projects that's clearly had a troubled development, which for me basically translates to: wait and see until until it's mostly done.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're probably gonna like this game OP.

It's not an MMO.

Tens months ago we had a 45 minute gameplay demonstration.

and a succinct breakdown of what was shown.

It feels really odd watching that because it just looks like nothing to me. Like less then nothing.

Despite the scope what's been shown so far contains about a minute of gameplay.

A few empty streets with nothing to do. Zoom to inner space, nothing to do. Zoom to outer space, nothing to do.

I'm sure there will be loads of activities and busy work added before launch but saying there's '45 minutes of gameplay' is a bit misleading. It's barely a 45 minute tech demo.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited about the promises but really cautious about whether the game will actually deliver.

So not really hyped at all right now, but if it turns out good (which I somewhat doubt) I'll be there at launch.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Right I saw that just now and I think it's a shame that this is how I find out. It's someone's job to sell the game to potential customers at Ubisoft and during the reveal at E3 they chose not to show the actual game.
They did show the game at e3. The year it was announced they released this:

Ofc it was too early and mainly a tech demonstration, compared to the video below which shows the core gameplay loop, ship customization, combat, etc.

Despite the scope what's been shown so far contains about a minute of gameplay.

A few empty streets with nothing to do. Zoom to inner space, nothing to do. Zoom to outer space, nothing to do.

I'm sure there will be loads of activities and busy work added before launch but saying there's '45 minutes of gameplay' is a bit misleading. It's barely a 45 minute tech demo.
I actually linked the wrong video. I should've linked the actual gameplay demo from the official gameplay channel.

I didn't realize that I linked a video that combined the in-engine demo from e3 2017 and only a portion of the video above. I apologize.

Last edited:

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They did show the game at e3. The year it was announced they released this:

I actually linked the wrong video. I should've linked the actual gameplay demo from the official gameplay channel.

I didn't realize that I linked a video that combined the in-engine demo from e3 2017 and only a portion of the video above. I apologize.

No need to apologise. I'll give it a watch.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a typical current gen Ubisoft sequel. They've removed every recognisable quality from the original game and made it open world. I can almost smell the MTX's from here.

I would honestly struggle to care any less about it at this point.

Nov 23, 2017
The ignroance/misleading misinformation/concern trolling about this game is ridiculous.

It's a typical current gen Ubisoft sequel. They've removed every recognisable quality from the original game and made it open world. I can almost smell the MTX's from here.

I would honestly struggle to care any less about it at this point.

Case in point...there is barely anything shown about this game. How do you know it will be like those other games? Has Ancel ever copied someone else in his career ever?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The ignroance/misleading misinformation/concern trolling about this game is ridiculous.

"They've never shown gameplay"--->They have
"It looks like a GaaS"--->In what regard?
"It's an MMO"--->There's co-op
"It's nothing like the first game"---->Ancel has gone out of his way to say that this is much closer to what he had in mind with the first game, an idea that originally was impossible due to hardware restraints.

:/

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe when it has a release date/window and we learn more about it. Didn't really like the 1st game, but still willing to wait and see on this one.

Nov 23, 2017

"They've never shown gameplay"--->They have
"It looks like a GaaS"--->In what regard?
"It's an MMO"--->There's co-op

:/
Don't forget "There's nothing to do," Era's go to about literally Any Game That They Don't Like (until it comes out and people suddenly do). I saw people say that about BOTW, God of War and even RDR2 on here back when those were in dev.

I understand the mistrust in Ubisoft's line up some people have...but this is an Ancel game. It's not like those other franchises.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
The folks behind this are pretty great but so far it feels like they made a new interesting game and added the BG&E IP after the fact. I could be very wrong of course.

So I guess as someone interested in new things I'm cautiously optimistic, and as someone who loved BG&E I have little faith.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry I just don't see anything that interests me in the slightest so far. It's a real shame because I loved the first one so much.

I feel they could really mitigate some of the concerns surrounding the game by just showing us something a bit more colourful, or some of the wildlife to capture (photography was such a large part of the 1st).

So far there's nothing 'charming' about the game and that's one thing I think everyone could agree the first one was. They seem to have swapped all that for something more grimy and edgy.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Haven't played Ubisoft games since black flag, with the exception of that switch game with Nintendo characters. Their copy/paste crap is kinda old.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I should mention that they've also shown off the character customization
2ZCuGNx.gif

HhOnCk2.gif

and ship customization:
kC0TplH.gif

507njru.gif

I genuinely have no idea how the narrative that they haven't shown this game off managed to stick.

Haven't played Ubisoft games since black flag, with the exception of that switch game with Nintendo characters. Their copy/paste crap is kinda old.
29c.jpg

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I should mention that they've also shown off the character customization
2ZCuGNx.gif

HhOnCk2.gif

and ship customization:
kC0TplH.gif

507njru.gif

I genuinely have no idea how the narrative that they haven't shown this game off managed to stick.

The character customisation looks cool (and a little disgusting lol) but not what I want from a BG&E game. I'm glad you're looking forward to it though.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Very interested. I never played the first, but whatever this one is it seems to be extremely ambitious. These are usually the types of games I'm most interested in as they'll either be a huge flop or a huge success.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a hugely ambitious game that won't be out for another 2 years at the least that people will judge before it's even had a proper blowout beyond the really early material we've gotten so far because even enthusiast communities are full of people who have no idea how games come together.

As for me, it's not the BG&E2 I wanted 15 years ago, but it's a very enticing idea for a game that could be so much more than the first. We'll see.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I couldn't care less about an online focused experience that will likely drags out with loot and repetitive missions like any other GaaS game or so out there... I just wanted a cozy and intimate action adventure like the first one, while this one go in totally opposite direction... nope, not gonna play it.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017