• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
u05z0Tj.jpg

From the Apple Arcade announcement. A sequel to 1994's Beneath a Steel Sky.

Some footage in here:

Edit: Can a mod correct title to "Beyond a Steel Sky"?

Edit 2: Here is a new trailer: https://www.apple.com/105/media/us/...-beyondasteelsky-tpl-cc-us-2019_1280x720h.mp4

Edit 3: Press release:

Press Release said:
Revolution Software Announces Beyond a Steel Sky for 2019

Follow-up to the classic 90's cyberpunk adventure coming this year!

York, Monday 25th March 2019 - ‬Revolution Software is excited to announce it has reunited with legendary comic book artist Dave Gibbons to create Beyond a Steel Sky - the long-awaited follow-up to classic 90's dystopian cyberpunk adventure Beneath a Steel Sky.

Premiered in the Apple Arcade sneak peak during today's Apple keynote (https://youtu.be/67umVefSXnY) Beyond a Steel Sky is in development for PC, console, and Apple devices. It is a thrilling story of loyalty and redemption set in an eery and terrifying world of AI-driven social controls. As can be expected of a Revolution adventure, the tale is woven with the studio's signature humor, supported by Gibbons' acclaimed artistic style.

"Even after so many years, fans of the original game are still incredibly loyal and very passionate - and have remained vocal in demanding a sequel" says Charles Cecil, Founder and CEO of Revolution Software. "Adventure games are played by a large, diverse audience that hugely enjoys the interweaving of story and puzzles. Our approach has been to write an intelligent, witty adventure game that is wholly intuitive to play and assumes no prior knowledge of the original game or its universe. We aspire to write a modern day 1984 told through the medium of the adventure game".

Beyond a Steel Sky is a hugely ambitious adventure in which intelligent, humorous emergent gameplay drives an edgy narrative. Very much an adventure, the game is set in a dynamic, bounded-sandbox world. A unique world that will respond to – and be subverted by – the player's actions. The game characters, driven by advanced AI tech, are willful and motivated: their intelligent responses allow interesting, emergent solutions to puzzles and obstacles. The culmination of Revolution's 30 years of developing adventure games, Beyond a Steel Sky evolves and redefines the adventure genre.

It's a project that's been on the minds of both Cecil and Gibbons for many years, but one they felt needed the right real world moment to to it justice.

"Charles and I have discussed returning to the Beneath a Steel Sky universe many times over the years. Fake news, social controls, polarized views - the world is confusing - we agreed that now was the right time for Robert Foster to take a trip back to and beyond that Steel Sky," adds Dave Gibbons. "I am delighted to be working with Revolution again".

Beyond a Steel Sky will feature:
  • A unique, rich game experience in an bounded sandbox world, interwoven with a deep narrative.
  • A story that enables players to profoundly affect and subvert the gameworld and its characters.
  • Elegantly simple, intuitive controls that allow complex situations to emerge, offering a gameplay experience that will appeal to the novice as well as the experienced gamer.
  • Custom-written cutting-edge graphics technology delivers a beautiful, realtime, comic-book-styled world in HDR & 4K to complement the artwork of Dave Gibbons.
  • Original comic book vignette to be created by Dave Gibbons.

Last edited:

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
<---------- Avatar quote.

Wait, it's an Apple exclusive? Well... fuck. :/

Edit - Okay, that's not the case after all. Phew, crisis averted.

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned this in the P&C thread, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. Dave Cummins, the writer of BASS, passed away a while back. And it's evident from Broken Sword 5 that without him, revolutions games lack the same emotional punch to them that they had back in the day.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Nothing like having games being exclusively tied to 1 of 8 different services now. Just as most games were going multiplat to be accessible by everyone

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Apple said "new and exclusive", but they mean "new games and exclusive games". I think this will come to other platforms too.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I mentioned this in the P&C thread, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. Dave Cummins, the writer of BASS, passed away a while back. And it's evident from Broken Sword 5 that without him, revolutions games lack the same emotional punch to them that they had back in the day.

Aye, the writing in BS5 is a huge downgrade from the first two games. Dave Cummins certainly had a real way with words. Regardless of that though, it's still nice to get a direct sequel to BaSS after all this time.

OP
OP
salromano

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh great, a sequel to a cult hit PC game being an Apple exclusive.

Apple said "new and exclusive", but they mean "new games and exclusive games". I think this will come to other platforms too.

Yeah, in the video they say they're taking a console game and bringing it to mobile.

Check your definite articles, OP. It's Beneath/Beyond a Steel Sky.

Woops. Fixed in the post. Added an edit, but will contact a mod as well.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting tired of this "can't be done in traditional gaming", like indie games haven't been a major part of this gen for PS4 and XB1.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting tired of this "can't be done in traditional gaming", like indie games haven't been a major part of this gen for PS4 and XB1.

Yeah, watching that Apple Arcade video in the OP where everyone is like "this game shouldn't exist, this game can't be done outside Apple arcade" like... have y'all looked at some of these games on consoles? Let alone PC? And even in the teaser is shows games already announced for other platforms.

Now, sure, if you make a super niche game you might not get an audience for it and adding it as a "free" game that is just part of a subscription will absolutely get more people to give it a go (like how Netflix gets me to atch TV shows or movies I normally wouldn't pay for but can watch because they are just available on this service that I'm already paying for) but to say something like "where cards fall" can't be done on other platforms seems silly.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
The environments look decent but is that Foster? Revolution's 3D character design is still dodgy.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Should I be embarrassed to say that I thought that was Borderlands 3 when I saw that screenshot first without seeing a title associated to it?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's a lot of different emotions felt in a very short amount of time, I'll say that ...

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
Dude's carrying a giant sausage as bait 20secs into the mini trailer.

The hacking device UI looks Star Trek inspired, not so much BASS.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. I love Broken Sword and Beneath a Steel Sky. I need this.

Wait, this is exclusive to Apple Arcade?

OP
OP
salromano

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate you guys linking Gematsu, but I also updated the OP with the press release. The info is all there!

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I was wondering what may be a next Revolution Software project. I never played Beneath a Steel Sky, but I guess it's a good time to finally catch up.