• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is there room for Infamous?

• Yes

Votes: 135 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 115 46.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 77016

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 4, 2020
Like probably a lot of other fans of Infamous 1 and 2, I felt let down by Second Son. It was clearly rushed to meet the console launch window. But, I was hopeful that as the generation went on we'd get another Infamous that was as good as the first two.

Instead, Sucker Punch moved on to develop Ghosts of Tsushima. And Insomniac came along with Spider-Man to fill much of that same open-world superhero niche as Infamous did.

I would still love to see what Sucker Punch could do with a PS5 Infamous game, and what powers they could come up with. Is there a chance of this, or between SP being busy with a new IP and Spider-Man is there no chance of a comeback for the series?

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think so. If there's an unrelenting onslaught of Marvel open world games, there's too much overlap for Infamous.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I too felt let down with SS even after it added first light. It felt like it had less depth compared to inFamous 2 and less charm then inFamous 1.

It was pretty to look at though.

I always feel there is room for more inFamous but idk who would really make it beyond SuckerPunch? I doubt they will return to the series and so it is likely going to stay dead. Even more so then Sly Cooper which could be revived later on by someone else beyond SP.

Honestly I'd be more excited for a new inFamous by SuckerPunch where they take their time on it like inFamous 1/2 then I would for more Marvel games.

Maybe one day they can return back to it. In the meantime in order for the I.P not to be forgotten they can do a TV Series.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
There's room for a non-licensed superhero game, but given the recent advances in traversal, visuals and environmental complexity it would have to be a modern reboot

Oct 27, 2017
There is room for sure.

Turn it into a create a super hero game where you gain different powers and the game has tons of builds you can create. That is the next step of evolution IMO.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a big fan of every Infamous game (especially the first one!) but, honestly, Sony first party doesn't need another one of these games. Between Spider-men, Tsushima, Days Gone and Horizon we're mostly good for open world, three pathed skill tree action games. I feel like it'd be one too many.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Nope.

There's room for a FPS tho, it's been 7 years since Killzone Shadow Fall and 9 years since Resistance 3..

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Always in my heart.
Anyways, I've been thinking. Now that Sony and Marvel are best buds (specially after SE's Avengers), I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of an X-Men game by SP. Second Son/First Light were pretty much fanfiction X-Men in my eyes.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Let it rest. Three games is enough in a franchise. Just continue GoT and after three games make a new IP.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Dead is extreme, but I think on-hold is fair. Let them play around with Tsushima for a while, but there's definitely room for Infamous towards the tail-end of the generation I think. Maybe when Insomniac wants a break from Spiderman for example, then it would work out perfectly.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Why does the poll question never match the thread title lol, it's the opposite here. Is there room for another Infamous / Is Infamous dead?

For the record, I think it's dead.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I hope it comes back, but I dunno if sony is gonna be like why make infamous when we can just license a hero and have that brand power like spiderman.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I love inFamous, but for now, I'd hope Sucker Punch keep with GoT. Another studio makking a non licensed superhero game would be cool.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not on PS5 unless they expand their studio to have two teams. I do think we'll see another Infamous sometime in the future though.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Someone please fix the tittle or the poll, what's the point of asking in the poll the opposite from the thread tittle? This tilts me so much.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
SS was a launch title, and it was really obvious. Played well, but was probably the worst out of them. Would love to see infamous again.

Love the first 2

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I've said before but there's a lot of untapped potential in infamous.

Let a new game have you "make" your own character. But in the vein of say Mass Effect. So you'll be a named character, but it'll look the way you want to.

Then from there you can choose to be good or bad. Would even be rad if they went all out and your save would carry over to a new hero you make who has to stop your prior hero for whatever reason.

why they never went that route but insisted on the choices was always a big ? To me. Especially when create your own super hero games just aren't a thing unless it's a service game.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Not a single good game in the Infamous franchise. Both of those games are better and fill its niche pretty well.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
Dead is extreme, but I think on-hold is fair. Let them play around with Tsushima for a while, but there's definitely room for Infamous towards the tail-end of the generation I think. Maybe when Insomniac wants a break from Spiderman for example, then it would work out perfectly.

Yeah let it rest a bit.

Nope. Not a single good game in the Infamous franchise. Both of those games are better and fill its niche pretty well.
🙄

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I really don't like the idea of devs going straight on to sequels in current generations where games take 3+ years to make. Means after a successful IP we might not see anything else from them in 5+ years. So I would want one yeah.

It'll probably happen eventually. It's a shame it never really caught on too much though, because licensed superheroes really just don't do a whole lot for me. Like sure Spider-man's cool, but he just shoots webs really. Same with Batman but he just punches and uses gadgets. Where's my blowing up entire buildings with ridiculous elemental power surges in an angry rage and all that. Infamous is one of the only games that's ever really shown off the superhero power-trip to that extent, and all these licensed superhero games just feel so lame in comparison. It'd be cool to get something more in that vein at the kind of budgets the big hitters get.

Even imaging a bit of a different take on it with a more engaging plot like Worm or something would be super exciting.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Of course.
Imagine cyberpunk InFamous set in the future. Shit would fly off the shelves.
5ad3b8de8d1494bed18e2a00d64de379.jpg

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I think both those takes are more interesting open world titles than Infamous, so I don't see it. Also real superhero > generic superhero when it comes to marketing and sales.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Sure. It would be perfect to show some great power effects.

I would prefer new Prototype though *eyesemoji*

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Personally as someone who loved Infamous 1 and 2, I think the answer is no. The closest feeling I've had to those games this gen, including Second Son, is Spider-Man, so I don't see why an Infamous 3 would be necessary.

Insomniac basically took everything that was great about those games and tied them to much more likeable and well known protagonist, and probably made a better game.

I'd be much happier getting SM2 and a Ghosts sequel than Infamous 3 at this point. If they wanted to get Bluepoint to remake the old games though, I wouldn't say no.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I enjoyed all the Infamous games....I'm just not sure how a new one fits in Sony's portfolio now they have Spider-Man exclusivity....and the fact GOT was so fucking good,lol.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'd love it, but with Ghost being a huge success and Sony already having another superhero franchise with Spider-Man there's no reason for them to do another inFAMOUS in the foreseeable future. Unless SP expands to a 2-project studio I expect them to do Ghost of Tsushima 2 & 3 this generation.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I would love a new infamous. I was hoping they'd go back to it after Ghost of Tsushima. But if there is a capable team somewhere that isn't in first party, I'd welcome their take on it as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the Infamous series but I can't see Sony making any more while they have the Spider-Man license. Maybe when that deal expires they'll go back to the IP? If they did do another they would have to make it feel really unique compared to Spider-Man -- maybe set it across a state with a city and a couple of smaller towns so it feels distinct from the setting of Spidey's New York? Giving the protagonist varied powers like Infamous 2/Second Son would be a good way to make it feel distinct, but rather than the powers largely being copies of each other with slight twists have them feel a lot more varied, so you have water powers where you can zoom across the surface of water like a speedboat, or you get a strength upgrade when it rains, and then you have a whirlwind power where you can ride the air currents and glide through the air, maybe a vines power which you can use to create platforms and tie up enemies to leave them vulnerable to attack, and so on. I think making it more of an adventure with superpowers akin to something like Breath of the Wild might be the way to go rather than following the city-based formula of Infamous 1/2/SS would be a good way to go to make it feel completely different to Spider-Man.

Last edited:

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Yes, please. What a fantastic game.
Now, just imagine it on the PS5.

sadly it will not happen as SP is working on GoT...

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At this point it must be on purpose to make the poll question the opposite of what the thread title is asking, right? Right??

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
swluLRX.gif

sorry, but it's a mediocre IP and it already has gotten 3 games. It's time to move on...

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I could definitely use another Infamous that plays similar to 2, with graphical improvements and better controls, of course. Feels like the "janky" movement works better for Infamous, it didn't do much for me in Ghost of Tsushima and it was part of the reason I didn't like that game that much.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Second son had some fun mechanics and it was a looker, but the world was small and boring, and the game was repetitive to a fault. It was a fine "launch window" game for the ps4, but i often wonder what it would have been like if it had come out in 2019 or 2020

Oct 28, 2017
What in the world are these poll responses? Have you people even played Infamous 2? Look I was as disappointed in Second Son as the next guy, but Infmaous on PS3 was excellent and I wpuld love to see it return.

Sadly if it did return it would probably be modern as fuck, have an overly big world for no reason, unnecessary RPG mechanics, be stuffed with content just for the sake of it and we way longer than it needs to be.