• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much will Spider-Man sell?

• Less than 5 million

Votes: 64 5.8%
  • 5-10 million

Votes: 311 28.3%
  • 10-15 million

Votes: 536 48.8%
  • 15-20 million

Votes: 127 11.6%
  • More than 20 million

Votes: 60 5.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-ManInsomniac.png

We're a little over a week away from Spider-Man's release. It looks great, the hype is through the roof, Sony's marketing for the game has been nothing short of stellar, and it is based on the most popular superhero in the world. Sony's software on the PS4 has been on fire in terms of sales, too. Given all of this, how much do you foresee Spider-Man PS4 selling? And why?

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A lot.

Because its a good game, with good hype and a decent amount of care put into it.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
What's the time horizon, and are you including the inevitable PS5 re-release?

If you're talking about PS4 within the first year or so, I'd pick the 5-10 million bucket (probably more like 7-9 million), but if we're doing longer term including a re-release, 10-15 million makes more sense.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Depends on the timeframe we are looking at. I'd wager that it'll lifetime between 15-20 million. By end of this year I'd say around 8-10 million.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotal, but none of my friends (whom I would normally expecting to be hyping this up) are talking about it. It will surely do great, but there just isn't a whole lot of buzz in my circles. I won't be buying it until I'm done with Dragon Quest XI at the earliest, but eventually I'll get it. On topic, I'd say sales would be around the rest of the system's heavy hitters.

Oct 28, 2017
10 to 15. Don't underestimate the mass appeal of Spider-Man, let alone a Spidey game as well-produced and developed as this.

This game targets everything from the hardcore crowd to the grandmother buying a gift for her granddaughter crowd.

I only wish I could say the same for Dragon Quest XI.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
If it helps, I think Arkham City eventually got to 10 million LTD before the re-release, though the games usually moved more like 5-7 million in the first year.

Mind, that was multiplatform, but digital was also much less available then for longer legs.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Would be easier to estimate if I had other first-party LTDs at hand, but I definitely think it'll be the best-selling PS4 exclusive.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30 bajillion copies within the first second.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10-15 million is the absolute floor from what I see. But if it manages to score above 90 on Metacritic we could be seeing a 15-20million juggernaut giving The Last of Us (Sony's most successful first party title ever) a run for its money.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017

Game is gonna be huge. This random tweet has over a million views and 60k likes in a day.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
While I am super stoked for Spiderman I would love to see someones reasoning for voting for 20 million units (Edit: Especially since its an exclusive) Thats insane numbers!

I personally put 5-10million and think it will end up 8-9

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Would be easier to estimate if I had other first-party LTDs at hand, but I definitely think it'll be the best-selling PS4 exclusive.
Uncharted 4: 8.7 million as of our last update specific update, though it's higher than that by now judging by series sales increases
Horizon: 7.6 million
God of War: 5 million in the first month, though it's tracking faster than the other two IIRC

TLOU hit 17 million, but IIRC 9 million was PS3, and then later an additional 8 million on PS4.

You'll notice a common range here, which is why I went with 7-9 million for the first year or so.

I do think there's a potential for upside, but it's also a pretty tough Fall, so I'm staying conservative.

Our last update from someone in the know said it was tracking above Horizon, but below God of War, but pre-orders certainly aren't the end-all-be-all they once were.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
10-15 million sounds absolutely too much, i think a good 5-10 mln which would still be a huge result.

PS4 is at the end of its lifecycle (1-2 years and then PS5), for sure it will keep selling even after PS5 comes out but at that point interest will start to fade, unless PS5 is a disaster like PS3 was at launch.

Not to mention rarely a Sony exclusive sell more than 10 million, cause the way Sony does the marketing is like "forget the past, hype is always on the next thing".

Oct 26, 2017
15m by the end of March 2020 or 2021 seems likely.

Not sure if it will get a PS5 port or something that boosts the numbers further so I'll go with the 15-20m range.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
i believe it will be the best selling PS4 exclusive, i don't think for his own merits entirely but it is launching at a time when superheroes and Spiderman one of the most among them, are extremely popular. Besides that the reviews are pretty positive and i expect a mid-lower 90 metacritic which will make the game hard to pass from hardcore gamers while the IP itself attract the more casuals.

Having said that, 10-15 or 15-20 is a hard choice, 10-15 is the safe bet and the one i ended up going for, but if a PS4 exclusive is going to reach 15-20, it is definitelly (and probably only) Spiderman. More than 20 is a realm i only see Nintendo best selling exclusives reaching tho.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
10-15 million is my bet. This game appeals to a very broad and diversified audience. And also is Marvel's biggest super-hero.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
Best selling exclusive of the generation, above 20m imo.

i really belive in the appeal of the Spiderman IP and this seems a game that reach the expectations set for this IP (tho doubt it surpasses them) but yeah no, Nintendo biggest IPs are unmatched and in the Switch they seem to be unleashed so far, there is almost no chance a PS4 exclusive ends up higher than all of the Nintendo biggest boys

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'll say 9 million without bundles. Obviously if they give the game to anyone who buys a PS4 at no extra cost, it will sell much better.

JarlRaven

Nov 8, 2017
Just a reminder on the best selling games on PS4 since launch, to put things in perspective

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_4_video_games

I took a look at that list. Looked at the numbers for Monster Hunter World in Japan compared to any other game. Hell any game in any other region. That disparity my god.

Also LMAO at the sales numbers for Killzone Shadow Fall/Knack if you want it easy just release a game during launch when everyone is starving for games I guess.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
Higher than the Nintendo stuff?
Yup, this thing is going to be huge, Nintendo stuff cant really compete they're just too stubborn to lower the price of their software, I mean I can buy Horizon for 1/3 price of Zelda, insane lol. Plus, I'm sure Sony will bundle this game until the end of the gen starting next year.