• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which movie combo is better?

• Alien + Aliens

Votes: 364 52.6%
  • Blade Runner + Blade Runner 2049

Votes: 227 32.8%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 101 14.6%

• Total voters

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"better sequel combo" in this context makes no sense as both Alien and original Blade Runner are better than their sequels.

but as for a better combo, it's Alien + Aliens with Alien pulling a lot of weight.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Since I'm not a fan of the shift to action in Aliens I'm gonna go with Blade Runner. Actually even if the Alien franchise did stay sci-fi horror I would still probably pick Blade Runner.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I like the first Blade Runner but it's also a bit too slow and the weak point here, 2049 is more my thing. The Alien+Aliens combo too strong!

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
This is a close one.

2049>Alien>Aliens>BR

2049 is one of the best sequels ever made and on my top 5 list, but Aliens is awfully solid and also a fantastic sequel.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
It's a weird comparison but why not.

It's both Blade Runner movies for me, easily. I love Alien, it's one of my favorite movies and I watch it at least once a year but Aliens is just not for me. I don't like the tone, I don't like how action oriented it gets nor do I like or care about the expanded cast. It might be better than the other two sequels but that doesn't mean much to me. I feel the same about Terminator and Terminator 2 for similar reasons.

Blade Runner 2049 is one of the few movies I felt like I've had to watch twice in the theater because it was that good and I've seen it four or five times since it came out. It's not a perfect movie (not that I think there's such a thing) but it's still an experience for me and something I've enjoyed with every viewing so far.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
VASQUEZ, HAVE YOU EVER BEEN MISTAKEN FOR A MAN?

NO, HAVE YOU?!?

-That was the sickest burn ever.

I voted for Too Close to Call though. Those are 4 great movies.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alien/s (I actually just watched both last week).

I didn't really like 2049, especially compared to Bladerunner which is one of the goats.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
depends on my mood, if i'm feeling old and wondering about the meaning of life i wanna watch blade runner/2049.

if i just wanna see humans colonial marines kick some alien ass i'm watching aliens

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
While Alien vs. Blade Runner is at least debatable, Aliens is by far the weakest of these four films. Blade Runner combo easily here.

Aliens being an action movie and this being Era... I'm sure it will win. I'm also pretty sure Era consensus would favor both Aliens and T2 over the originals, and that says all you need to know.
Alien and T1 are so much better than their sequels it's not even close tbh.

Mar 3, 2019
Blade Runner 2049>Alien>BladeRunner>Aliens. Blade Runner 2049 is just so strong of movie that I think I tip my hat to the Bladerunner series, though Alien and Aliens feels like a stronger duo since the original Blade Runner has great style and concepts, but isnt actually that good of a movie.

Oct 27, 2017
Both blade runners are vastly superior movies idk how this poll is so wrong.

Alien is incredible in a lot of ways but it still suffers from the pitfall most horror movies do where every character is a complete idiot that always makes the wrong decision. BR storytelling is on a whole different level.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Blade Runner, the tonal shift from Alien to Aliens is too much for me to consider seeing them back to back.

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alien and Aliens easily. BR 2049 is kinda poor next to any of the other 3 and Alien stands in a place of its own.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to go with the Alien duology. It just works better as an overarching story. The first Blade Runner is fantastic but I don't actually like the sequel as much and it's set way too long after the original.

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Alien + Aliens. I don't think 2049 was that great ( Besides the visuals, Dave Bautista and the Elvis scenes).

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
once again its Alien

They're set in the same world anyway, so there's no reason to decide. Easy.

giphy.gif

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Easy one, both Blade Runners are great.

Alien is a great genre defining achievement, but Aliens is an underwhelming action-oriented sequel that completely fucked up what made the original Alien so tense and legendary. Alien is a sci-fi horror film, Aliens is a silly action movie with "horror" elements. In quotations because the original was much scarier when the xenomorph was a rare sight, in Aliens there are a million of them like some silly enemy waves in video games.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I like the horror to action flow of Alien to Aliens. Makes a nice one-two punch. Nice ramp up of Ripley's character you know. Bladerunner to 2049 is less fulfilling - incredible films as they are.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but it's definitely Blade Runner + 2049 for me.
I never expected them to pull off a sequel that was THAT good. It's an absolutely mesmerizing film and I still can't believe it got made.

Oct 27, 2017
Aliens EASILY takes it for me. Both movies are excellent, while I much prefered Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep to Blade Runner. I thought 2049 was excellent though

Some people in here are too nostalgic and always seem to do BR2049 dirty

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Alien Covenant kind of fucked my view of the entire franchise retroactively. The first two are still great, and I even have a soft spot for Resurrection, but that last one... Oof. It was so bad I have a hard time separating the feelings it gave me from the older ones.

The only shame about BR and 2049 is that we won't be getting another one to flesh out some plot threads they left open. (for real, Jared Leto's character is gonna go down as one of the least explained things in modern cinema)

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
Blade runner can be a real slog for people. I've never seen anyone get bored in the two alien films.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Bladerunners for me. I am one of the weird people that thinks Alien is just "meh" but I do really enjoy Aliens a lot. BR2049 is just an amazing visual feast with such a strong aesthetic and great story. The original Blade Runner is probably one of my favorite movies so the choice is easy for me. I really wish one of the streaming networks would greenlight a high budget Blade Runner TV show to continue the story from 2049.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
For me BR2049 is the best of the bunch and one of my favorite movies ever but the original Blade Runner is easily the worst movie of the four of them (still fantastic visually). Alien and Aliens might be the better combo though. Ripley's arc is fantastic and the genre shift from space truckers catching space STDs to space marines fighting an invasion was novel as hell back in the day.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Aliens EASILY takes it for me. Both movies are excellent, while I much prefered Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep to Blade Runner. I thought 2049 was excellent though

Some people in here are too nostalgic and always seem to do BR2049 dirty

I didn't see Balde Runner until 2007 (The Final Cut version in the theaters). I loved it. I saw Blade Runner 2049 in a Dolby Cinema and was impressed, feeling it a worthy follow up. I don't know why but when I watched it again on blu-ray, I didn't like it anywhere near as much. It has some great scenes and wonderful visuals but something about it now feels off. It's made me appreciate the original Blade Runner more now.

Really like PKD's book too. It's pretty different so it's hard to compare.