• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which movie combo is better?

• Alien + Aliens

Votes: 364 52.6%
  • Blade Runner + Blade Runner 2049

Votes: 227 32.8%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 101 14.6%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
Piggybacking shamelessly off the Alien or Blade Runner thread.

Which do you think is the better two-movie combo?

For me, I'd probably give it to Alien+Aliens for sheer entertainment value and rewatchability but it's a really, really close call.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
These are all wonderful films doing different things in the sci-fi genre. Why compare them?

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna have to be Alien.

I love the shit out of 2049 and it's a gorgeous movie, but I love the genre change of Alien/Aliens and they compliment each other well.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2049 isn't that good imo. So Alien/s.

Also Blade Runner is a bit rape-y which makes it a bit tougher to watch/recommend these days.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, it would be Terminator and T2 as the epitome

But between these two, I'd say Alien and Aliens. The overrarching story - how Ripley gradually is pushed to the forefront in Alien until becoming the protagonist throughout the final act and all of Aliens - and the deliberate escalation from mystery to desperate escape in Alien to knowledgeable survival to going-on-the-offensive in Aliens is felt very strongly across the two films

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike Aliens vs. Alien. A fine movie on its own, but as a sequel to Alien is was a huge letdown. Blade Runner 2049 was a terrific follow-up to the original on the other hand

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Alien(s) wins

Do Alien + Aliens versus The Terminator + Terminator 2: Judgment Day

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
I loved 2049 to bits but Aliens manages to feel like a sequel so tied to the first film and yet with an entirely different feel. The thing that never rang true for me was the relationship between Deckard and Rachel, and since that is a major link between the two films, and it feels a little contrived, that's why I feel this way.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its Alien + Aliens. Those two films are not only incredibly flicks that are the top of their respective horror scifi and action scifi categories. Not only that but both of them changed the game and forever affected all manner of media after their releases. You can't really say the same for Blade Runner 2049 as good as it was.

OP
OP
Deleted member 21339
Oct 28, 2017
Personally, it would be Terminator and T2 as the epitome

But between these two, I'd say Alien and Aliens. The overrarching story - how Ripley gradually is pushed to the forefront in Alien until becoming the protagonist throughout the final act and all of Aliens - and the deliberate escalation from mystery to desperate escape in Alien to knowledgeable survival to going-on-the-offensive in Aliens is felt very strongly across the two films
I think Alien is a clearly superior film to Terminator.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Alien + Aliens.

Aliens influenced like every sci-fi video game ever, and also influenced action game pacing.
Have you seen Aliens recenty? It's like the antithesis to action game pacing. There's no shooting until nearly into the movie. I know Aliens is seen as the "action" contemporary to Alien, but it's much more steeped in suspense and desperation than action. Nearly every aggressive action the Marines do ends badly for them

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Alien + Aliens.
2049 was weak sauce compared to the original

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I think Alien is a clearly superior film to Terminator.
For sure, but as complementing sequels, I find the contrast of eras (gritty 80s, serial killer fears, slashers versus 90s bombast and blockbusters) and tones, and the re-configuring of characters, elements, and ideas between Terminator and T2 to be so effectively handled. Also helps that they're both from the same director

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aliens is still great but super cheesy these days. Cameron's dialogue and weird macho scenes is just goofy now rather than badass.

Both Blade Runners are timeless.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Bladerunner 2049 is a better sequel to Bladerunner than Aliens was to Alien in terms of following up what the original film did, but Aliens was a better movie that was a sequel than Bladerunner 2049 was by doing its own thing.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Going with Blade Runner here just because the too close to call option is a weak cop out that's going to unnecessarily split the vote. Blade Runner is the slightly superior Ridley Scott film, and 2049 is the superior sequel. But the first two Alien films are freaking amazing as well.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2049 is a sequel that I don't think we'll ever get again. Whereas aliens 2 seems to be the model for how all sequels follow (just make everything bigger).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Alien + Aliens. I consider both of those to be excellent sci-fi films that do very different things, whereas with Blade Runner, I only like the original, not seeing what others seem to see in 2049 at all even on rewatch.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While Alien vs. Blade Runner is at least debatable, Aliens is by far the weakest of these four films. Blade Runner combo easily here.

Aliens being an action movie and this being Era... I'm sure it will win. I'm also pretty sure Era consensus would favor both Aliens and T2 over the originals, and that says all you need to know.

Apr 21, 2018
Blade Runner for me. The series just says more about humanity and psychology than the aliens franchise. I feel like as AI progresses, we will look to Blade Runner as being way ahead of its time, perhaps even prophetic.

I love Alien/Aliens but they are more just fantastic entertainment. I don't think the films, or the franchise, is really saying too much. And when it has tried to (in later films in the series), it feels juvenile and doesn't work.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I would go with Blade Runner but better not to compare such amazing movies and just appreciate the things that make them so special.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care to compare them, it's not very fun for me, so I won't vote. But I will say Aliens is my least favorite of those film by a long shot (even though I do enjoy it).

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Don't make me choose. These are 4 of my favorite movies. If I had to pick it'd probably be the BR combo because I was surprised by how much Villeneuve nailed it and maybe even surpassed the original. So that quality combined may just edge out Alien(s) for me.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
2049 is absolutely amazing,with astounding special effects and the most amazing soundscape in any movie I have seen in recent memory, no question.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think 2049 and Alien are on par. I like ALIENS less than most people, especially people on boards like this. I would not rate it above BLADE RUNNER.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Blade Runner. Aliens, while a great action film, is hollow in comparison 2 the other 3 films in this poll.