• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What’s the better ride?

• Pirates of the Caribbean

Votes: 102 39.8%
  • The Haunted Mansion

Votes: 154 60.2%

• Total voters

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the better ride Era? Pirates or the Haunted Mansion?

pirates5-1.jpg

52b2c863ada5643bd3decef0a57d4217.jpg

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I assume we're talking the Disneyland versions of each? Pirates is probably the more "impressive" but Haunted Mansion is more intimate. They're both incredible experiences and I don't know if I could choose...

Though Haunted Mansion might be more reridable...love From Grinning Ghosts

Tower of Terror (WDW) is better than both of them

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I would go with The Haunted Mansion but both are really great and I couldn't fault anyone for liking Pirates more.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Great question. They are both great rides. I dunno. Maybe haunted mansion because it kind of layers stuff on as you go through the ride whereas pirates is just 1 boat ride.

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think Pirates overall beats Haunted Mansion. But there are certain aspects of HM that are superior, namely, the elongating room that you dont know is part of the ride the first time and ghosts dancing in the hall.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Haunted Mansion, by like a fucking mile ha ha. I do like Pirates, but the Haunted Mansion just feels special to me. I love the exterior (both DL and DW), the elevator, and just the overall spooky-ness of the ride.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
They're both great but I prefer Haunted Mansion. When my daughter was younger she insisted that her "wake up music" from her alarm was the Haunted Mansion audio. So I know it all by heart.

Oct 25, 2017
Haunted Mansion is a much better ride but Pirates inspired the movies which is one of my favorite franchises so it gets the point.

But on the actual subject of Disney rides,
Tower of Terror >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else
ToT is the greatest theme park attraction of all time and I doubt it can ever be topped.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From knowing only WDW, I recall liking Haunted Mansion a bit more, and this was well before all the POTC changes to theme it around the films and be less problematic.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
The closeness of the poll kind of just lends to how great both are. They're equally fantastic experiences in my opinion, I think the real deciding factor is whichever ones theming appeals to you more. Personally I love spooky stuff a lot, so Haunted Mansion is my go to.

Oswald

Nov 26, 2019
Pirates is a good dark ride, but Mansion is a timeless classic. Dare I say the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay is even better?

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Since they ruined Haunted Mansion at Disneyland with the Nightmare before Christmas theme, Pirates by a long mile. Before they ruined it, Pirates still edged it out.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mansion, any version really. It just transports me more to fantasy. Love the dark gothic world of the Paris one especially.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Depends on what coast we're talking about. In DL it is up in the air but at WDW it is easily Mansion.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Mansion is probably my favorite of the "classic" Disney rides. The whole atmosphere and scenes just really do it for me. I do enjoy Pirates (I liked it more before it was the Jack Sparrow ride) but it comes up well short in comparison.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since they ruined Haunted Mansion at Disneyland with the Nightmare before Christmas theme, Pirates by a long mile. Before they ruined it, Pirates still edged it out.
It's only there a few months out of the year and it's pretty fun. Not like Hyperspace Mountain where it stayed up for WAAAAAY too long

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I will never forget being a small child and seeing the candlestick floating down the hallway in the haunted mansion and for that moment fully believing that ghosts exist

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
If I ever become a billionaire I'm going to build a replica of the Haunted Mansion and live in it.

Also, Walt Disney World Mansion > Disneyland Mansion.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I like Mansion more and it's always neat how quiet the line for the ride is, like there's no music or anything and gives off a graveyard feel.

I do think Pirates has the better build up though, I love that you explore the caverns first then plunge into the Pirates world.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haunted Mansion all day every day, gotta love that bullet hole in the ballroom glass

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Haunted Mansion. Love both but nothing beats HM. Not a ton of difference between HM in DL vs WDW aside from exterior(WDW is much better here, lot more of a haunted mansion look) and DL has the NBC(nightmare before christmas) Christmas overlay

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe this is a question... Haunted Mansion is the best hands down. Maybe because I don't remember either from when I visited as a child and only have memories as an adult? In fact, I think Pirates is one of the lamest rides in the park...

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Shanghai Pirates >>> both of these and I don't even understand Chinese (since there is virtually no English in Shanghai Disney).

But of the North American parks I prefer Pirates more. Although the theming of the tombstones in particular is top notch.

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Haunted as a whole is probably better ie all the stuff outside to look at and done as well as the elevator ride.

That being said it feels like the one at WDW needs to be refreshed with a new coat of paint all the way around. Pirates with all the stuff they did when the movies were inspired which went back into the ride means the ride got more work done it it recently.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The "special effects" in Haunted Mansion were super cool when I was a kid.

I never cared bout the PotC ride.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I'm judging the WDW version - I really, really liked Pirates but Haunted Mansion was a whole new level.

The only downside of Haunted Mansion was that it triggered a panic attack from my wife because she was not in the right headspace for it.