• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. It's too simple to just kill off every character. Also, Jimmy probably wouldn't have continued the Saul Goodman life if it was even partially responsible for Kim's death.
I think:

Kim leaves, uses the cleaning service or whatever, and Jimmy remains as Saul in Albuquerque to essentially protect her as he can keep an eye on Hector and other baddies that may wish to harm her. She either leaves for her safety or over guilt for what happened to Howard.

It's either that or they do a big retcon of Saul's circumstances throughout the events of Breaking Bad, ie: Kim still lives with Jimmy in New Mexico but we just don't see her as she's not relevant to Walter's story. I do think she leaves though. I think the resolution to the Jimmy story, pre-Breaking Bad and the resolution to Gene's story are intertwined.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, they've done this since the original Breaking Bad now with the "final season" being two parts. And with The Walking Dead, all that.

Apparently it has something to do with awards consideration or advertising and viewership numbers or something.

The official podcast with the behind the scenes crew had them being super thankful there was a break or else they couldn't release the season as timely as they did in the first place.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I think:

Kim leaves, uses the cleaning service or whatever, and Jimmy remains as Saul in Albuquerque to essentially protect her as he can keep an eye on Hector and other baddies that may wish to harm her. She either leaves for her safety or over guilt for what happened to Howard.

It's either that or they do a big retcon of Saul's circumstances throughout the events of Breaking Bad, ie: Kim still lives with Jimmy in New Mexico but we just don't see her as she's not relevant to Walter's story. I do think she leaves though. I think the resolution to the Jimmy story, pre-Breaking Bad and the resolution to Gene's story are intertwined.

They show Saul's mansion being raided at the beginning of the seasons and it certainly doesn't look like an abode he shares with anyone in particular lol

Erwin

Banned
Mar 24, 2021
I think:

I'ts an interesting theory, but i don't think it'd work. In BB you see him living a very exotic life with 0 cares about anything except for being in good terms with the people he's doing business with and making money

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched the American Greed: Jimmy McGill thing that came out before the season started.

I know it's just a gag but I would assume Gould/Gilligan would have it work with the canon—so we can say that at least through into the Gene times that Suzanne and Bill from the DA's office, the Kettlemans, and Rich Schweikart survive. lol.

How the video treats Kim is peculiar, though I think that's almost entirely because it's just a gag so they basically write around her. Still, speculation: while it goes over Jimmy/Saul going from criminal law to working for Heisenberg, and explicitly mentions how Heisenberg, Jesse, and Saul disappeared, Kim's story just kind of stops. I'm leaning more towards her not using the vacuum repair guy. I don't think she's going to disappear. Either she's going to run away herself, or she's going to work for the cartel more directly than Jimmy.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
I'm now of the opinion that Kim ultimately commits suicide. The events of last episode were just too much for her to bear. From lol pranks to what transpired, it's too much for her.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm now of the opinion that Kim ultimately commits suicide. The events of last episode were just too much for her to bear. From lol pranks to what transpired, it's too much for her.
Nah. If Howard is murdered because of them, and then Kim commits suicide because of those actions, there's almost no realistic path for Jimmy to become the jokey character he is in Breaking Bad. She'll be vacuumed, and I'm convinced we see her again in the Cinnabon timeline

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. If Howard is murdered because of them, and then Kim commits suicide because of those actions, there's almost no realistic path for Jimmy to become the jokey character he is in Breaking Bad. She'll be vacuumed, and I'm convinced we see her again in the Cinnabon timeline

Yeah, I don't see a version where Kim dies, the events are close to Breaking Bad to the point where it doesn't make sense for Jimmy to be where he is when meeting Walter. I don't necessary believe that Kim will call the vacuum guy, she doesn't really need to hide unless the Lalo situation intensifies and it seems weird that Jimmy wouldn't need to hide also.

More realistically I think she dumps Jimmy after coming to terms with the fact that they are poison for each other, Howard being Lalo'd is the catalyst for her going away. Jimmy will be broken, but life goes on and he continues being the lawyer for low-life criminals.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
No vacuum, Kim lives, something else happens. This is my current bet.

Too many people have been vacuumed as is, so it feels cheap. Kim dying seems too narratively easy as well, and doesn't mesh with Jimmy going full Saul.

I expect the resolution of the BCS Kim/Jimmy relationship is going to mirror the old Wexler/McGill office. An explicit agreement to operate separately...though maybe not in literal occupational terms, and certainly at a much greater remove than separate offices.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Kim goes to jail thing makes the most sense to me. It gets her out of the picture for BB in a way that doesn't emotionally devastate Saul like her dying would.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Kim just continues her excellent law practice and in BB's timeline she's become a supreme court judge, have you guys ever thought of that?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Kim has been through a lot in her life, obviously Howard dying is going to be rough for both of them but I don't expect her to react any worse than Jimmy will. In fact I suspect she might actually be the one who holds it together more.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Kim has been through a lot in her life, obviously Howard dying is going to be rough for both of them but I don't expect her to react any worse than Jimmy will. In fact I suspect she might actually be the one who holds it together more.
I agree with you on every point. "Sterner stuff" and all that. The line exists for a reason.

EDIT:
Yeah, as Mike said, she is made of sterner stuff.
I was beaten.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
More realistically I think she dumps Jimmy after coming to terms with the fact that they are poison for each other, Howard being Lalo'd is the catalyst for her going away. Jimmy will be broken, but life goes on and he continues being the lawyer for low-life criminals.

Jimmy straight-up scammed Kim during their Mesa Verde scheme in Season 5 after which she made this exact realization. Her response was to suggest getting married. Kim's shown over and over again she's relentlessly loyal to Jimmy throughout his spiraling descent into the criminal world, defending Jimmy's character against even the most respected figures in Albuquerque's lawyer community. She's pushing the Saul Goodman persona more than Jimmy himself is at this point!

The only way Kim leaves Jimmy is by force. I think there's a higher chance of Jimmy breaking things off with Kim over hiding the fact Lalo was still alive combined with Kim being the more callous of the two w/r/t Howard. IMO the most likely scenario is Clifford Main growing suspicious of Kim after she's a no-show at the lunch on the day Howard Hamlin's defamed and dies/disappears/(insert cover story), picking apart loose threads, and building a strong enough case that would lead to jail time. Kim either faces the music or uses the vacuum salesman.

Granted I don't know how such a case wouldn't also implicate Jimmy

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Kim likes "Saul"... she liked the low level scams.. had second thoughts for a while, but now she's "broke bad" and she is loving the bigger crimes.

They even did the Breaking Bad thing where after doing the crime they got turned on and boned lol

I think it's plausible she realizes it was a mistake and all that but she is pretty deep into being a part of who "Saul" is at this point. So it's also possible she doesn't go that direction.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Check your settings when watching the show. I have a 4k TV oled and it sometimes switches the settings depending on the platform/type of content I'm watching, eg HDR content has a completely different set of video settings and I had to customize a set distinct from the regular filmmaker mode
Right you were, turns out it was a feature called Motionflow that the TV decided to automatically activate for the first time, apparently. Thank you!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't see a version where Kim dies, the events are close to Breaking Bad to the point where it doesn't make sense for Jimmy to be where he is when meeting Walter. I don't necessary believe that Kim will call the vacuum guy, she doesn't really need to hide unless the Lalo situation intensifies and it seems weird that Jimmy wouldn't need to hide also.

When Chuck died, Jimmy was upset but hasn't exactly been in mourning for his brother since the house fire. It's more like Jimmy has been upset about the circumstances around losing his brother, his relationship with him when he was alive and his relationship with Howard. It says something about how Jimmy acts and responds when the people close to him are go - there is an indifference there. Perhaps that will play into whatever happens at the end between him and Kim. I assume she lives but leaves.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I think:

I don't think anyone else is getting vaccumed. The actor that plays the vacuum shop owner passed away recently / before filming.

Neonvisions

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone else is getting vaccumed. The actor that plays the vacuum shop owner passed away recently / before filming.

Having the actor pass away would not impact the story if that's where they wanted to go with her. They would just have her speaking to him on the phone or something or just have it implied.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Something that just occurred to me after rewatching the Season 5 Gene scene: even within the context of Better Call Saul, without ever seeing Breaking Bad, we know the vacuum repair shop Better Quality Vacuums is how Jimmy/Gene's disappeared. I'd forgotten it was named during the phonecall. So, to the audience, there's no mystery about what that business card in the black book is for. It won't be like with the returning BB characters where only BCS fans will worry about what happens and BB veterans are in-the-know, we're all in the dark about how that Chekov's gun will be fired even if BB fans know Kim's not in BB.

What I'm saying is Kim finding that card could be establishing how Jimmy got access to the disappearer, rather than foreshadowing that Kim in particular will use it. I still think she's the most likely candidate for using it since Jimmy needs to learn that it's a disappearing service somehow and it has to be distant enough he doesn't know it's a real vacuum store until he himself uses it.

Just thought it was neat the writers took the time to keep things suspenseful for old and new fans alike. It would've been too easy to write it so the card's purpose is a mystery rather than how it will be used, which would only have mattered to BCS-only fans

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I kinda am leaning more towards Kim not using the vacuum service myself. I wouldn't be surprised if the card served just served 2 purposes: the one as jtm above me mentioned and the other as a red herring. I've been rewatching the entire series and in an earlier episode Nacho opens up his safe and looks at the fake IDs for himself and for his dad. Obviously his plan didn't come to fruition sadly.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the (first) finale and wanted to comment on some of the humanizing-Howard stuff. I don't think it's so much that they did (or had to) humanize Howard. It's just that we were reminded he's just a regular dude. A rich guy, incredibly privileged, who thinks he's nice but is mostly just patriarchal and condescending, but still just a regular-ass guy. And the ending there was a stark reminder that Kim and Jimmy are not involved in regular-ass dealings. Howard really thought he was escalating - renting the gym space, a PI - but he wasn't even in the same atmosphere as Kim and Jimmy and if Howard had really thought about what those fake pictures and that entire scam implied - how vast it all has to be to be able to put that together that fast - he might have gotten an inkling, but probably not, because there's not really any way for Howard to even conceptualize the shit they are into.

It was a really affecting dynamic and that whole last bit was just so awful, because we all knew it was coming.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Funny thing about Howard is that aside from season 1 when he was taking bullets for Chuck (too soon?) and the "Doc Review" shit, he never really struck me as an asshole or as condescending as one might expect someone like him in his position to be. Some of the moments that put him in that direction though feel like they could also be driven by naivete and his propensity to often come off as extremely aloof lol. Watching his downward spiral in S4 really made me feel for him because he truly was hurt when Kim told him he was being selfish for telling Jimmy about the insurance and suicide things, he was so blindsided by that scolding lmao.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having the actor pass away would not impact the story if that's where they wanted to go with her. They would just have her speaking to him on the phone or something or just have it implied.

Ya they could just show her waiting at the side of the road for a weird car and everyone would get it. That being said even the happy endings are sad endings in this universe so I dont think Kim is getting off that easy.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Howard's vindictiveness towards Kim 'making him look bad' because Jimmy did the video thing is the only thing time he was ever really willfully an asshole, and I honestly still don't understand why he reacted that way. Keep in mind that even Chuck suggested that maybe he go easier on her because it was Jimmy's fuck up, and he discarded the suggestion.

Oct 28, 2017
i think kim simply leaving jimmy with or without the vacuum man makes the most sense for Jimmy to enter and "fuck it" mentality and start going HAM on the saul persona. hard to imagine him being the BB saul if kim dies or ends up in jail

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I think the audience that intently watches BCS through to the final season but also has zero knowledge of the vacuum exit strategy/BB is vanishingly small.
Who knows, but the process has been shown in BB and El Camino. And to just go "Kim calls vacuum man" and then she's gone would be kind of a bleh ending for her.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Who knows, but the process has been shown in BB and El Camino. And to just go "Kim calls vacuum man" and then she's gone would be kind of a bleh ending for her.

I don't personally think Kim gets vacuumed, just saying the logistics of it if they wanted to go that way aren't debilitating.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've found interesting, just skimming this thread, is how successful they have been in creating this separation between Jimmy and Saul. We (most of us, probably) met this man as Saul, the show is about Saul, but then they gave us Jimmy and it's Jimmy who stuck as the central core. Just really underscores how effective this team is, I think.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
One thing I've found interesting, just skimming this thread, is how successful they have been in creating this separation between Jimmy and Saul. We (most of us, probably) met this man as Saul, the show is about Saul, but then they gave us Jimmy and it's Jimmy who stuck as the central core. Just really underscores how effective this team is, I think.

Very true. I really do believe the creative teams behind this are some of the best in show business to date. The slow progression towards Saul has been very well done.

I need to rewatch BB ASAP lol. To go full Saul I feel like there's still quite a bit of his soul left to be pulled apart in order to get there. Or something else was happening off screen DURING breaking bad to drive him there. What if he was trying to make as much money as possible for some scenario where Kim's survival or freedom depended on it?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Just finished catching up.

I gotta admit I felt really bad for Howie and then that ending... 😦

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm currently going through this whole series for the first time after life got in the way and I fell off in season 2.

I just finished "Wexler v. Goodman" and expect to be caught up by late tonight or tomorrow morning so I won't actually be looking at this thread until then but wanted to get this off my chest:

I love this show.

I am astonished at what they pulled off. They followed up Breaking Bad with a slow burn prequel about characters whose fates we largely know -- many of them dead -- and managed to make it matter. In absolutely no god damn universe should Mike taking apart a tracking device and reengineering it for 15 minutes or seeing the meeting between him and Lydia that sets up how his money will get funneled through Madrigal be interesting. But this series somehow does.

It sometimes feels as if this series is three different shows happening simultaneously but it never feels like a detriment to its quality. And as I am halfway through season 5 and seeing the three worlds come together more than they have before, it feels even more rewarding thanks to that aforementioned slow burn.

Every minor moment feels like it's adds something to Breaking Bad's world while standing brilliantly on its own. I rewatched all of Breaking Bad prior to this and I'm ready to do it again with how much Better Call Saul enriched it.

And yes, I am fully aware that it is all going to end terribly for Kim and Jimmy despite my fan fiction desire for some sort of ridiculous plot twist where she was actually around during the Breaking Bad days and we simply never saw her. I'm bracing myself for the heartbreak that I know is coming.

"Or we could get married."

I love this fucking show.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to chime in on the thread with my fury for AMC Plus. Service has always been greedy but this is next level. I waited to start the season bc the partner and I were catching up on some other stuff and now they're charging $2.99 an episode for anything but the most recent one or two. So despite already paying $9 a month for very very minimal content now I have to pay an extra $3 an episode or $25 for the season because I didn't watch it soon enough?! Utterly ridiculous. I'm cancelling this crap service and finding a way to watch it elsewhere

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
I just bought the season pass on Apple TV. You have to wait until that Tuesday to see each episode, but it's yours forever and the streaming quality's pretty solid