• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Finally caught up. I'm so fucking anxious while watching this show, primarily because of Kim. I just know something terrible is going to happen which breaks them up and pushes Saul over the edge.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Might have already been posted, but The Watch has a great interview with Rhea Seehorn. She drops a lot of knowledge on how the show is made, along with movie/TV recommendations.

www.theringer.com

Is the New TV Pipeline Drying Up? Plus: Rhea Seehorn of ‘Better Call Saul’ on Playing Kim Wexler.

Many TV productions are on hold because of COVID-19. What happens a few months down the road if there is no new TV?

What TV shows does she recommend 👀

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
finally started catching up this weekend and have one more episode until im caught up for the season so far and its been great. except for hank showing up. hes the worst

Logistic

Oct 30, 2017
I enjoy this show primarily because of Mike, but binging Ozark in between episodes of Season 5 has made it hard to come back.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given that they know the last season will be the end, I hope this time there won't be nearly 2 years between seasons. But with the current virus situation, it's gonna throw every single production for a loop. Next TV season is gonna be like the writer's strike year but worse, I'm guessing.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Given that they know the last season will be the end, I hope this time there won't be nearly 2 years between seasons. But with the current virus situation, it's gonna throw every single production for a loop. Next TV season is gonna be like the writer's strike year but worse, I'm guessing.
i thought about that. It could be 2022 before we sea the final season.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
How do people interpret how Jimmy is handling Chuck's death? That scene where Howard reveals that he thinks Chuck committed suicide always puzzled me. Howard brings up the insurance thing, and Jimmy's demeanor changes. "Well, that's your cross to bear", or something like that. My current interpretation is that the guilt for pushing Chuck to suicide is too much to handle, so he projects it on Howard and also tries to mentally detach from the whole thing, which is why he seems so nonchalant about it.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do people interpret how Jimmy is handling Chuck's death? That scene where Howard reveals that he thinks Chuck committed suicide always puzzled me. Howard brings up the insurance thing, and Jimmy's demeanor changes. "Well, that's your cross to bear", or something like that. My current interpretation is that the guilt for pushing Chuck to suicide is too much to handle, so he projects it on Howard and also tries to mentally detach from the whole thing, which is why he seems so nonchalant about it.
oh he's fully projected everything on to Howard, that's part of the reason he hates his guts. I also think he avoids thinking about it as much as he can, but seeing Howard reminds him of it every time. In Jimmy's mind, he didn't have anything at all to do with Chuck's death.

Probably still the most horrifying character moment for Jimmy in this series to me is when he got his license back by giving a moving speech about Howard and afterward admitting that he basically didn't believe a word of what he said (although secretly he maybe does a little bit).

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
oh he's fully projected everything on to Howard, that's part of the reason he hates his guts. I also think he avoids thinking about it as much as he can, but seeing Howard reminds him of it every time. In Jimmy's mind, he didn't have anything at all to do with Chuck's death.

Probably still the most horrifying character moment for Jimmy in this series to me is when he got his license back by giving a moving speech about Howard and afterward admitting that he basically didn't believe a word of what he said (although secretly he maybe does a little bit).

Yeah. I just can't tell if Jimmy truly doesn't give a shit about what happened with Chuck, or if he's suppressing it and we're going to witness some total mental breakdown over it in the future. Guess we'll see

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I just can't tell if Jimmy truly doesn't give a shit about what happened with Chuck, or if he's suppressing it and we're going to witness some total mental breakdown over it in the future. Guess we'll see
I think in order for him to function at all without his conscience getting in the way he'll have to keep suppressing it and convince himself that it really is all on Howard and Chuck. At this point Kim is really the only thing he has resembling any kind of conscience. Once she's out of the picture Saul will be fully unleashed.

SimonChris

Oct 27, 2017

There is a really interesting detail in Mike's fight scene from episode 3. Look closely when he dodges the punch.

Oct 25, 2017

Really great clip where Rhea goes through every detail that that the crew goes into when staging these home and kitchen scenes. It's incredible. She basically says that every single uhm and ah and little line is written. It's barely ever improv.

Oct 26, 2017

I would argue it's so nuanced and multifaceted.

In season 4, Jimmy pretends that nothing's changed. In his head, he's intentionally avoiding anything to do with Chuck once he learns of his passing. It's why Jimmy was so aloof with the first meeting with the board when he was initially rejected for reacquiring his law license. It never crossed his mind that Chuck had a major impact in his life (for better or for worse). There's an interesting juxtaposition between JImmy and Howard as far as how they handle grief. Howard took it hard when Chuck died because in his head, he blames himself for Chuck's death given the bad blood for Chuck wanting to return to work, and the whole insurance liability angle (now that Jimmy exposed his illness). For Jimmy, he feels bad for a moment, and then moves on without any real introspection. In fact, one could argue that once Jimmy heard what Howard had to say, he completely projected any semblance of guilt onto Howard. But the key difference is, Jimmy never really blames himself for what happened to Chuck. In his mind, it's always an external force to be blamed.

This brings us to season 5, where the direction of JImmy and Howard are so different. Howard is doing much better now that he's found healthy ways to grieve and come to terms with his guilt, whereas Howard's healthy approach starts to bug JImmy. It breaks Jimmy's facade that Chuck's death is someone else's fault, which plays to his key character flaw as Saul Goodman: it's never his fault and his inability to accept responsibility (which we see with Gene Takovic). It's why he becomes Saul Goodman, as he defends criminals and ensures that they never have to take responsibility for their actions. Meanwhile, Howard was interested in making things right since he had a role to play in Jimmy never getting hired at HHM. But as far as Jimmy is concerned, the ship has sailed. Jimmy's way of processing Chuck's death with regards to his job is basically: "fuck you, I'm going to be the best damn chimp with a machine gun." And that means he won't ever let go of Slippin' Jimmy.

Maybe if Chuck wasn't so jealous of JImmy's charisma, and Jimmy wasn't such a petty criminal, then this could've been a healthy relationship.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

There is a really interesting detail in Mike's fight scene from episode 3. Look closely when he dodges the punch.

Wow, I totally missed that the first time! This show's nuances add so much texture and richness. Even if the viewer doesn't consciously notice every detail, they'll sense that the characters are authentic people with complex inner worlds.

There's definitely more to Mike than meets the eye!

Oct 27, 2017

This just goes to show why Mike is the best character in both series.

I would say that's an accurate interpretation. The whole thing with Jimmy and Howard is a very clearly displaced emotional reaction to his own stuff he's avoiding. The end of the last episode where he flaunts how awesome he is even though he's actually in a really bad situation and knows it, is what gives it away I think. He admits it to Kim, even though he doesn't want to. On some level he knows that Howard isn't responsible for any of it, but he need someone to blame. He can't take it all on himself because it might actually break him entirely

This show is very similar to watching Walt finally comes to terms with the fact that he's an arrogant self-destructive egotistical asshole, except in reverse. We are introduced to Jimmy as a guy we sympathize with because he's always underfoot. His brother is mean to him, life has robbed him of opportunities that are rightfully his.

But Jimmy is a self-destructive conman, addicted to getting things done in the underhanded way because he has an underdog complex, he's the little guy that's being trounced by the man, when in reality he's the cause of his own problems. he manipulates, he lies, he cheats, he does everything the wrong way almost from the moment we meet him. It's downplayed it first but it's there or throughout the entire series. He's never really straight in terms of legality. He doesn't need to be, because it's showing that that doesn't work. Doing things the right way doesn't get you anywhere so you have to lie, cheat and steal your way to the top. We know that that doesn't turn out to be any better, and in fact worse.

Jimmy is a liar but the person he lies to the most is himself. He's created a victim narrative in which he can't escape.

Chuck was in essence, right about him. It's kind of a grim portrayal of a person but Jimmy is incapable of being Jimmy, he was always going to be Saul no matter what he did.

He had the chance to go straight and he seems unable to do so, so instead he leans into "accepting" who he is. But I think the tragic thing is there's a part of him that isn't really that guy, but by the time we see him in BB, that is more or less repressed entirely.
It remains to be seen who Gene will be.

Last edited:

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
We're only a few minutes in and we get an amazing music scene. Amazing camera shots/cinematography. Amazing tension. Yup it's a Vince Gilligan episode.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I love before the pickup they showed Jimmy being meticulous and cleaning a small dirt smudge on his shoe and now look how he is. lol

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god is Mike gonna kill Kim or something. Now I'm getting worried.

You know he will tell Gus she knows and you know Gus cannot leave loose ends.