• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It makes me so sad that we saw Kim had trust and attachment issues with her mom which is likely why she's so afraid to let go of Saul even though she knows he's a bad influence. fuuuuuuck

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched this weeks episode and man, that's probably the best of this season. The boardroom scene was riveting which this show always does exceptionally at, with Chicanery first coming to mind. Then I really thought this was the breaking point for Kim but it looks like they're going to continue this spiral of lies with Saul.

Apr 19, 2018
716c71214db482b1f5955602191bec685ed28937.png

Seeing how the ratings have pretty much been on the decline season by season -- with the lowest viewership yet this season -- always depresses the hell out of me. I know we're a lock for the sixth and final season, but how on earth have people been sleeping on this show??

That monumental drop from the very first episode is what baffles me the most. Like, how could so many folks (presumably BB fans) have not been hooked and stayed on after that amazing Tuco cliffhanger?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
716c71214db482b1f5955602191bec685ed28937.png

Seeing how the ratings have pretty much been on the decline season by season -- with the lowest viewership yet this season -- always depresses the hell out of me. I know we're a lock for the sixth and final season, but how on earth have people been sleeping on this show??

That monumental drop from the very first episode is what baffles me the most. Like, how could so many folks (presumably BB fans) have not been hooked and stayed on after that amazing Tuco cliffhanger?
Breaking Bad was a lot more badass. I'm not surprised it doesn't capture a lot of the same audience at all personally.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, if we go by the numbers most BB fans are watching BCS. It's just that a lot of people who watched BB were bandwagon jumpers that binged it on the run up to S5. BB only got really high ratings for 1 season, the rest were about the same as BCS.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Who here thinks the long game is that Lalo is going to end up facing serious charges, Jimmy is going to defend him and Gus/Mike are going to make him to throw the case. Lalo gets locked up for serious time (maybe killed in jail), Jimmy gets protection. Years later post BB Jimmy is still looking out for any remaining Salamancas?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Breaking Bad was a lot more badass. I'm not surprised it doesn't capture a lot of the same audience at all personally.

The last season or two of Breaking Bad was also very drama and action heavy, especially in 5A and 5B. Look at the massive boost the show got in it's last few episodes.

I love BCS, but I don't think it's surprising at all that people who were able to marathon Breaking Bad and then watch episodes like Ozymandias or Felina as they aired were never able to get into the fairly slow burn that is much of Better Call Saul.

image.png

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Anecdotally I always get a blank stare when I try to recommend this show to people. Even if they were into BB, it drives me nuts

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally I always get a blank stare when I try to recommend this show to people. Even if they were into BB, it drives me nuts
I put off watching this for a long time because I just didn't like Saul in BB, I suspect a lot of people are the same. Glad I took the plunge in the end though.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame, this show is much better than BB imo, but I can see it not having the mass appeal. BB also kept building momentum as it went. I don't think I head about the show until season 4 or 5 and then everyone started watching it on Netflix.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My thing with BCS is that much of the show kind of... blends together for me. Like, if you ask me the most memorable parts of the show, I'd probably say the Mike backstory in "Five-O" and the episode where Saul and Chuck go to court... that's about it. Maybe I'll feel differently once the show concludes.

Whereas with Breaking Bad there's so many amazing scenes I remember.

Last edited:

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to fiction like that, the parts where I am most clearly pigeonholed into rooting for someone are the parts that bore me more than anyone. Like, Harry Potter, I have way more investment in Harry's relationship with dumbledore, Ron and Hermione, Sirius or Snape. But whenever Voldemort comes up, I just want them to get on with it, because there's nothing interesting about their relationship. Voldemort's just an absolute evil and Harry needs to get rid of him and that's their whole story. It's boring.
Yeah, I can understand that. In the books though, they go more into Voldemort's backstory which just makes the character a little more interesting. In some ways, Voldemort is the second most important character after Harry, and then Ron and Hermione. This is why I was so disappointed with the sixth movie because the sixth book was by far my favorite. He was still an absolutely evil, but you knew more about him.

As far as the other character relations go, I wasn't all that invested in Ron and Hermione because I didn't think they made a great pairing romantically, right now off the top of my head I'd say my favorite character relation was Dumbledore and Snape. So many of the characters in Harry Potter were archetypes.
Empathy is a matter of feelings, not actions. It's basically 100% all about feeling with a character, not what they're doing. For example, I would never cook crystal meth, but the reason Walter White does is because he likes a job well done. He likes that he's an expert in his field and he likes making a quality product and that gives him feelings of satisfaction, like he fulfilled a task worthy of completing and he can then sit back and profit off it. For me, that's comparable to me writing a really good essay. I like talking about stuff, I like making good arguments, and if I do a really good job, I can take a series of complex ideas that exist in abstraction in my head and put them into words and then build those words into sentences and paragraphs that are strong and comprehensive and articulate. And when that happens, I take satisfaction in a job well done, which is what Walter feels - even though writing essays on media and cooking meth are things that have no overlap whatsoever.

So, what your describing is, it seems, that you do empathize with hatred, but not his acting on the hatred. So, maybe you don't empathize with his schadenfreude. But the thing is, you can mix and match. It's really the same deal as before. Have you ever taken satisfaction from someone suffering? Like, someone bad maybe? It'd be hard for me to believe you haven't, since it's kind of a human thing. Well, again, there you go, use that and you have a very short path to feelings that are similar to what Jimmy feels when he makes Howard squirm.
I can empathize with hatred, but I don't know if I've ever taken satisfaction from someone suffering - someone that I know personally, that is. So yes I can relate to the hatred, but I guess I never hated someone so much that I acted upon that hatred to cause them a misfortune. Maybe I never felt that wronged (whatever got me to hate them in the first place). Or, maybe I'm just not that guy. Or, maybe Jimmy is that guy who enjoys watching people he doesn't like having problems. Because that is clearly his MO with the schadenfreude.
Good points; not deleting most of your post because it isn't worth responding to but kind of boiling it down to these 2 things as I think it's the gist of what you are getting at and trying to be more succinct here. I agree the tone felt off in the bowling ball scenes for sure; I was actually miffed by that entire episode. I agree the tone of those scenes could be better; but I think the point still is just to highlight just how petty Jimmy has become, not really to show him as the person "winning" / worth rooting for. He's accomplishing nothing, he probably won't even realistically cause Howard much more than a few inconveniences, at great risk to himself. And we could see a reckoning to those scenes in the future.

I think the L's are coming; and they'll probably be numerous.
Hmm, I don't have much to say either because I agree with everything you said here. Jimmy is just being extra with this petty behavior and he's gotta get what's coming to him. We still have a little less than half the season left, so let's see how things start to move faster now.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I can empathize with hatred, but I don't know if I've ever taken satisfaction from someone suffering - someone that I know personally, that is. So yes I can relate to the hatred, but I guess I never hated someone so much that I acted upon that hatred to cause them a misfortune. Maybe I'm just not that guy. Or, maybe Jimmy is that guy who enjoys watching people he doesn't like having problems. Because that is clearly his MO with the schadenfreude.
Well, that's fair enough I guess, but even in terms of not feelings things as others do, I would still make the argument that you can empathize with others who feel differently with a little imagination. After all, most people would say they can empathize with someone feeling like they're in love and acting on that love, even if they've never been truly in love themselves, right? Like that, but towards hatred.

Besides, how well does Jimmy actually know Howard. His framing of Howard has always been adversarial. It's not like they ever shared a beer after work as far as anyone knows. He'd know him as a boss, as a competitor, as Chuck's accomplice, and (very rarely) as a business associate when they deal with some minor legal stuff like handing out Chuck's will. He never knew Howard as a friend.

Nov 9, 2017
If Kim ends up going back w/ Mesa Verde and S & C like nothing bad really ever happened, I think I am out until the season finale airs. Can't keep watching every week waiting for something to happen when nothing really does.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Besides, how well does Jimmy actually know Howard. His framing of Howard has always been adversarial. It's not like they ever shared a beer after work as far as anyone knows. He'd know him as a boss, as a competitor, as Chuck's accomplice, and (very rarely) as a business associate when they deal with some minor legal stuff like handing out Chuck's will. He never knew Howard as a friend.

Don't forget that Howard was a surrogate little brother to Chuck, which surely aggravated Jimmy's insecurities.

Howard is an underappreciated part of the show: upon first glance you'll likely dismiss him as "look at that motherfucker in the power suit, eating those crackers," but he's not a bad guy at all. He's simply in opposition to Jimmy, and Jimmy's a dick.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget that Howard was a surrogate little brother to Chuck, which surely aggravated Jimmy's insecurities.

Howard is an underappreciated part of the show: upon first glance you'll likely dismiss him as "look at that motherfucker in the power suit, eating those crackers," but he's not a bad guy at all. He's simply in opposition to Jimmy, and Jimmy's a dick.

In my estimation, people are a little too easy on him, actually. Chuck was like a black hole of audience's hatred, he absorbed any negativity off of Howard. Howard went out of his way to punish Kim for Jimmy's video incident at Davis and Main, which even if you believe that she was at fault for her lack of judgement (which I disagree), it's a double standard since Howard also recommended Jimmy and he wasn't being punished at all. He still had her demoted to menial tasks even though she'd be way more useful doing real lawyer work, even after she brought in Mesa Verde. Even Chuck was telling him to ease off, but he still kept going out of his way to punish Kim, making it clear it was a personal matter for him.

His vindictiveness towards Kim aside, he's very....well, lawyerly. In the bad way. He good at saying the right thing to the person in front of him, but will shit talk that same person when talking to someone else. I don't think he's necessarily mean, but it's how he works his charm. Most recently, in that resturant incident with the hookers? He politely greeted that Judge as if he were an old friend. Then he sat down with Cliff and started shit talking about how he's marrying his 30 year younger secretary. I'm not sure whether he is at all judgey of the Judge marrying someone way younger than him, but either way, he's putting up a false face to one of them for brownie points. Not to mention that one time he was pissed at Kim but meeting Mesa Verde with her, so he has this pissed off stoney face the entire walk to the conference room, but before he enters, he puts on this :D face.

I don't think Howard's a bad guy per se. In fact, if we stacked them side by side, Jimmy's average day has him doing slimier stuff than he does in a typical season. It's not like he crosses any lines to some truly abjectly awful territory. But it is kind of weird how people act like he's just this put upon chum when, if you actually knew him, he'd talk shit about you the moment it was socially advantageous for him.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. This episode was amazing, and the Jimmy/Kim dynamic is fantastic. I love their stories. But I feel like Mike has been kind of wheel-spinning for a bit. It feels like Mike is already a lot closer to who he is on BB than Jimmy is, so he just kind of has to wait for Jimmy to catch up. It's getting there, but the Mike half of the show hasn't been as compelling as the other half for a while now.

My theory is we still need to see Mike's turning point.. and I think it's going to be..

He either kills Nacho / Nacho's Dad by Gus' orders

Also, has anyone noticed that Gus is using the same manipulation technique he used on Walt / Jessie with Mike? He worked to gain their trust by taking them to his "home," Served them home cooked meals, then dropped the bomb on what exactly he wants from them. Jessie even calls him out on it during their dinner scene.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
My theory is we still need to see Mike's turning point.. and I think it's going to be..

He either kills Nacho / Nacho's Dad by Gus' orders

Also, has anyone noticed that Gus is using the same manipulation technique he used on Walt / Jessie with Mike? He worked to gain their trust by taking them to his "home," Served them home cooked meals, then dropped the bomb on what exactly he wants from them. Jessie even calls him out on it during their dinner scene.
That would suck but I wouldn't put it past the show to do that. What made you come to that theory?

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
man, the look on Howard's face at the end. I've never seen a look of hate like that in my life.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
It was the least fake Howard has been in a while

Poor Jimmy. He spent his whole life being made to feel inferior and now he's spinning out his life to prove otherwise to....nobody but himself.

Tragic stuff.
fuck Jimmy.

and I think that's the last of Howard we'll ever see this season. Maybe even the show.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
If Howard never shows up again, that'd be the perfect ending to his time on the show. I'm glad he figured it out instead of constantly being made the fool of. I also like that he was emotionally intelligent enough to see through Jimmy's rhetoric here. It's funny because he's been notoriously bad at reading Jimmy up until this moment, but it was the best moment to wise up.

And it helps validate what I said about Jimmy earlier where he viewed the job at HHM more as a threat to his now new self identity of Saul Goodman. That breakdown was just tragic.