• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
We don't see any of Saul's personal life in BB though.

We get hints of it, though.

It's pretty safe to assume he's no longer dating Kim, given how aggressively he hits on Francesca and we see him after a (strongly implied) rub and tug in his office.

While that doesn't confirm anything, it's very hard to imagine him in any kind of meaningful relationship with Kim under those circumstances.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you think Jimmy would've been a perfectly decent lawyer who won't do anything to get what he wants your perspective has been entirely warped by the fact that he's the show's protagonist. You can't seriously argue he became Walter White's lawyer because his brother was mean to him.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
He's also alone in the flash forwards.
Which doesn't mean Kim moved from ABQ or died.

She could have still been around; it's implied Jimmy has no strong attachments to anyone, doesn't mean his ex GF he still loves is totally gone from ABQ. They could easily show us a "one last plea for reconciliation" scene in the BB timeline, and then resume in the Flash-forward timeline with Jimmy contacting Kim again, or visa-versa.

Or she's dead or moved away.. it's just not implied by BB, they have a lot of options, Jimmy just can't be supper close with her in the BB timeline, that's the only thing that would be jarring/a ret-con.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
We get hints of it, though.

It's pretty safe to assume he's no longer dating Kim, given how aggressively he hits on Francesca and we see him after a (strongly implied) rub and tug in his office.

While that doesn't confirm anything, it's very hard to imagine him in any kind of meaningful relationship with Kim under those circumstances.

Right.. the post I was responding to said she must be dead or have moved far away... obviously he's not still dating her.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Right.. the post I was responding to said she must be dead or have moved far away... obviously he's not still dating her.

Oh, regarding specifically what happened to her, I have no idea, but I'd go a step further than just dating and say they probably aren't in each other's lives anymore. I think leaving town is a very likely possibility but there are other reasonable explanations.

We definitely don't know for sure, but that seems most aligned with what we know about both characters and their relationship.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Oh, regarding specifically what happened to her, I have no idea, but I'd go a step further than just dating and say they probably aren't in each other's lives anymore.

We definitely don't know for sure, but that seems most aligned with what we know about both characters and their relationship.
Yeah for sure I'd say the same thing; but there's still a chance of some BB timeline communication between the 2 of them, for instance Jimmy might reach out to Kim when shit hits the fan, or they could otherwise show SOMETHING to do with Kim during the BB timeline when they catch up. She could essentially have "BB timeline cameos" like the BB characters are having in BCS somehow.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
If you think Jimmy would've been a perfectly decent lawyer who won't do anything to get what he wants your perspective has been entirely warped by the fact that he's the show's protagonist. You can't seriously argue he became Walter White's lawyer because his brother was mean to him.
I don't think people arguing for this interpretation realize how pathetic this makes Jimmy. You don't even have to go to Walter White to get this, you just need to look at Jimmy.

Really Jimmy? You blew up your promising career and were a personal asshole to Cliff Main, a man who went out of his way to be kind and generous to you because your salty of something Chuck did? Like, give me a fucking break. Your big brother hurt your feelings? Betrayed you? Boo fucking hoo. Kim's mom was an alcoholic flake that couldn't take care of her kid. Howard's dad crushed his independence out of him. Nacho was terrorrized by the Salamanca's daily activities and now is being threatened by Gus Fring. Mike lost his son to corrupt cops after he emotionally broke him. You go back far enough, investigate deep enough, everyone's been fucked up by someone in their lives. For all we know, Lyle's father died telling him how disappointing of a son he is and that's why he projects fatherhood onto Gus, an equally unpleasable father figure and he's stuck in the unending hell of trying to win his affection, which Gus will never give. But does he blame or take it out on his coworker Deshawn? No, because he's an adult about his fucked up problems.

So cry me a fucking river. Sorry, your brother was a dip shit, but you don't get to take that pain out on everyone else because of it.

Let the soothing voice of Aaron Paul speak to you from across another series and deliver the cold hard truth:

Last edited:

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Does it seem likely everything will be wrapped up by the finale for next season to be entirely about Gene?

I'm trying to imagine how everything gets resolved in four episodes.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Does it seem likely everything will be wrapped up by the finale for next season to be entirely about Gene?

Huh? Is that confirmed or something? Because a lot of the hints so far(imo) point to next season potentially being Saul defending Lalo and getting caught in the middle between the cartels. On top of Gus threatening Kim. Which is seemingly being heavily foreshadowed.

At least those are the vibes I'm picking up.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Is that confirmed or something? Because a lot of the hints so far(imo) point to next season potentially being Saul defending Lalo and getting caught in the middle between the cartels. On top of Gus threatening Kim. Which is seemingly being heavily foreshadowed.

At least those are the vibes I'm picking up.
No, just speculation. In the past, Bob Odenkirk has also said he would like to see the final season focused on Gene.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The entire season is just Walt and Jesse at a diner enjoying breakfast.
giphy.gif

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Truthfully, you can never know why he does the things he does. You can never truly know that about anyone, including yourself. Brains respond to vast amounts of data that never consciously registers. Do you have any idea how awful humans are with change blindness for example?

So yea, that could be the reason, or a major contributing factor. Or not. Nobody can say because we didn't have brain scanning equipment on him when this happened and haven't developed the science to definitively tell us what it would have meant even if we did.

The point is, "he" never actually chose anything. He is the result of an entire lifetime of outside influence. He couldn't have turned out any other way. It's hard to see how his brother treated him as a positive influence. Though poor treatment for some individuals is a good thing for them specifically in the long run (but obviously a huge detriment for the overwhelming majority).

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.rollingstone.com

How Rhea Seehorn Became the MVP of 'Better Call Saul'

Actress Rhea Seehorn talks about her rise to fame and her breakout role as Kim Wexler on 'Better Call Saul.'

Was this already posted? Because it contains some great stuff, including the fact that "Rhea" is actually pronounced like "Ray".

Oh will take a look. Yeah I'm used to calling her Ray because the weekly podcast from the show call her Ray haha also very much worth a listen!

Oct 27, 2017

Yup. Chuck was right about him, but he was also an asshole so I think it's easier to "side" with Jimmy. Jimmy has steadily been shown to be an increasingly devious opportunist, and just as self-destructive as Walt (but for different reasons).

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
well then jimmy is a fucking asshole and learn to move the fuck on. Howard numerously have tried to make things better after Chuck's death.
Those scenes are annoying as hell, and honestly pulls me out of the show lol he is blatantly just bullying him and I don't see how his hate is justifiable. Jimmy already knows that it was Chuck who was making Howard do all that.
Please tell me someone here agrees with me?
Yes, I agree with you.
It's really odd to see people confused about why Jimmy acts the way he does with Howard.

Hating Howard isn't a rational decision he made with complete information and a clear head. Hating Howard has been a lifestyle choice Jimmy lived with for years, possibly decades, before being thrown a curveball with Chuck being partially responsible, but Howard still going along with his decisions and willingly acting as his tool. It's not 100% clear what the timeline is, but he could have hated Howard as far back as when he first got rejected from being an associate back in the mailroom. That's a great deal of emotional inertia, and it's not even the first time we've seen it. You know how Jimmy spent decades loving and idolizing Chuck, but even though Chuck showed his true colors to Jimmy back in Season 1, it took until season 3 for him to actually hate Chuck and even at the end he still had a measure of affection for Chuck before Chuck toasted himself extra crispy? So, imagine the inverse of that for Howard. He's have to save Kim's life or something for Jimmy to do that kind of emotional turn around.

He also hates Howard from an abstract point of view. As in, he hates everything Howard represents, which is partially due to that he (and Chuck) were everything Jimmy wanted to be for a good portion of his life - Respected, Rich, classy, and legitimate. Remember that scene just from last season where he gives Kristy Esposito the talk about how they'll never accept her, only to go break down in his car because he was actually talking about how they'll never accept him. If you ask me, what bothers Jimmy about Howard offering a job at HHM isn't just what happened in the past, but the fact that Jimmy has struggled for so long, torn between his con-man instincts and his lawyerly aspirations, and it's only recently that he synthesized them - As Saul Goodman, he self-actualized by combining those two aspects in a way that is actually balanced. So I think what hurts Jimmy is that Howard offering this job hurts the self actualization, giving him a twinge of doubt and anxiety. Hey, you finally accepted yourself and worked out a way you can be who you are....but suddenly, there is that carrot on a stick dream of being an HHM employee, finally up for grabs. Admittedly, that might be me reading into it, but it seems more fitting that after his hopes for that finally died, he finds it upsetting to think that he might have to reinvent himself again if he decides that part of him still wants to be at HHM after all.

Lastly, because I think people keep forgetting this fact, Jimmy is an asshole. He's not an asshole to the ever shrinking list of people he likes and hangs out with, but if he was someone who regarded treating others fairly as a priority, he'd be a really shitty grifter. If you were to sit him down and try to argue that Howard's being genuine in his affection and good will towards him, Jimmy wouldn't be able to give good reasons for why he should hate Howard this much, but he wouldn't change because hating Howard is simply easier and more beneficial for his mental wellbeing. He doesn't care that Howard may not deserve it. Hating Howard is the simpler, easier emotional journey for him and that's all that matters to him. Howard and fairness can go fuck him-and-itself.
The days where Jimmy was making even a cursory effort to be good and fair are looooooooong gone. He was making that effort to a good extent in season one, maybe up to season 3, but he's become a soft misanthrope where the only person that actually matters to him (at all) is Kim, and as we've seen this episode, he's not above subverting her trust and autonomy if he feels it's to her benefit, even if she has expressed that she doesn't want it.

This episode is a good study of what Jimmy actually views as a good deed. He just saw that Kim wanted X, but had problems with Y, and went out of his way to get X while solving the problem of Y, but what Kim actually decided for herself and how she wanted to handle the situation was immaterial to him. It's his go-to defense whenever someone he cares about tries to call him out on how he subverts their will - It happened with Chuck, it happened with Cliff Main and when people are upset with him despite him getting what they want, he literally doesn't understand whats going on. And when Kim threatened to end the relationship, his immediate instinct was to lie, even when he knows it's bullshit. Because authenticity doesn't matter to him - results do.

That's Jimmy when he's trying to be nice. When he's trying to be mean, you think he's gonna care about being fair? Jimmy doesn't care that Howard doesn't deserve it. He doesn't believe in 'deserve', it's not a part of his vocabulary. Jimmy wants it. That's enough. To Jimmy, the world is an amoral mess and it's all about what you want and what you can do to get it. Jimmy doesn't like Howard and he feels slighted by the fact that Howard made him the offer for HHM - That's literally all the justification Jimmy needs.
Perhaps the assertions in this post and in your previous post are on point, but for me and possibly others, it's extremely annoying to watch. I think it's done for comedic effect and maybe I'm in the minority about it all but I agree with ISureKnowMyStuff that this should all result in Howard retaliating and Jimmy not expecting it - for me, that's the only way Howard's storyline this season is going to be satisfying. Otherwise it's just filler that (I think) is supposed to make the viewer laugh to entertain them and have them be on Jimmy's side of it

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps the assertions in this post and in your previous post are on point, but for me and possibly others, it's extremely annoying to watch. I think it's done for comedic effect and maybe I'm in the minority about it all but I agree with ISureKnowMyStuff that this should all result in Howard retaliating and Jimmy not expecting it - for me, that's the only way Howard's storyline this season is going to be satisfying. Otherwise it's just filler that (I think) is supposed to make the viewer laugh to entertain them and have them be on Jimmy's side of it
Yeah, that's a fair take on it. We'll have to see if this is leading up to anything or if Jimmy's just trolling him because they can't think of anything else to do with him.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm confused why you guys think Jimmy's hate needs to be justifiable.. the point is, it isn't.. you aren't supposed to root for Jimmy, you are supposed to realize he is spiraling into Saul, a person who quickly suggests murdering people who might be a problem, people who have never done anything to him.

He's a horrible person; he's been a shit person most of his life.. I mean dude conned random innocent strangers out of money before the Saul timeline, a total piece of human garbage does that. They also can compartmentalize and have a conscience in some scenarios; but Jimmy is losing track of that... the small part of him that was good is slipping away, but the sum of Jimmy's parts has always been that he's a total trash person.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Would love to see another backstory spinoff show starring Mike and his degradation from an honest Philly police officer to a drug enforcer but not sure if it's feasible at his age.
IIRC, they used a different actor for Mike when they flashed back to a young Matty writing his name in the cement. We never really see him because the scene's focused on Matty, but if the show ever did any flashbacks to Mike as a younger guy, I expect they'd use a different actor there too.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused why you guys think Jimmy's hate needs to be justifiable.. the point is, it isn't.. you aren't supposed to root for Jimmy, you are supposed to realize he is spiraling into Saul, a person who quickly suggests murdering people who might be a problem, people who have never done anything to him.

He's a horrible person; he's been a shit person most of his life.. I mean dude conned random innocent strangers out of money before the Saul timeline, a total piece of human garbage does that. They also can compartmentalize and have a conscience in some scenarios; but Jimmy is losing track of that... the small part of him that was good is slipping away, but the sum of Jimmy's parts has always been that he's a total trash person.
I'm passed the point of thinking Jimmy's hate needs to be justified. I just don't want him to do it and simply keep getting away with his malignant behavior to a character that doesn't deserve it. If your opinion is that the viewer is not supposed to root for Jimmy, that brings up even more questions.

-What is the viewer supposed to be feeling when we see him purposely causing trouble for Howard?
-If the viewer is not supposed to root for Jimmy, who is the viewer supposed to root for?
-Or, is this exactly like Breaking Bad where every character is different shades and no character deserves to be rooted for?

Right now I'm not entirely sure if I agree that we're not supposed to be rooting for Jimmy because there are more despicable people on this show than him, but all I know is that watching him do this shit isn't a highlight of this season, nor is it something that makes the season good or plays a strength in it at all.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm passed the point of thinking Jimmy's hate needs to be justified. I just don't want him to do it and simply keep getting away with his malignant behavior to a character that doesn't deserve it. If your opinion is that the viewer is not supposed to root for Jimmy, that brings up even more questions.

-What is the viewer supposed to be feeling when we see him purposely causing trouble for Howard?
-If the viewer is not supposed to root for Jimmy, who is the viewer supposed to root for?
-Or, is this exactly like Breaking Bad where every character is different shades and no character deserves to be rooted for?

Right now I'm not entirely sure if I agree that we're not supposed to be rooting for Jimmy because there are more despicable people on this show than him, but all I know is that watching him do this shit isn't a highlight of this season, nor is it something that makes the season good or plays a strength in it at all.
Not directed towards me, but I'm basically ideologically against the idea of 'rooting' for any character, in basically all fiction. Stories aren't sports games where you cheer on your favorite team, your just handicapping your inclination to empathize by tying yourself to one person and wanting him to just win it. Now, I'm not going to tell you I never do it, the same I wouldn't expect you to believe me if I told you that I never tell a lie, but I just don't think it's a good practice to be as a viewer.

So, with regards to Howard being bullied by Jimmy, my framework is that I just empathize with both of them. I empathize with Jimmy's irrational, longstanding hatred of Howard, I empathize with his bitterness, I empathize with Howard trying to extend his open hand, I empathize with his being made a fool of.

Imo, it's the best way to enjoy the drama. You feel for everyone.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

I think maybe the things people are in fact feeling? Discomfort, disappointment, etc.

Well Kim for one; but why does the viewer need to "root for" anyone? That always confuses me; seen movie reviews for movies I love where the complaint was there was nobody to root for. If a story is about assholes, then it's a story about assholes.

Maybe a small touch of that; like some might think Howard is a rich cornball deserving of the treatment (they show he's still filthy rich, has a corny license plate, etc.).. but I think that's far more subtle than them making Howard look like the good guy in the scenario.

I really don't see how it can be interpreted as people are supposed to be rooting for Jimmy; they clearly have repeatedly showed Howard as a pretty good guy.. they show the viewer that it wasn't Howard who wronged Jimmy, but Chuck in past seasons.. They show Howard offering Jimmy a job this season, etc.

Almost everyone who watches the show remarks that they like Howard, I don't think the show runners are unaware of that. And they double downed on his likability this season if anything. Then they have Jimmy acting like a petty psycho towards him. They also have Jimmy acting like an asshole to Kim... I mean seems really obvious to me this is Jimmy falling way over the edge of becoming the "bad guy" AKA Saul.

At most they are still playing the "gray area" thing a bit but it's far more leaning towards him not being the one you are supposed to root for than the other way around.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Are the people rooting for Jimmy people who never saw Breaking Bad? Because we know 100% for sure that Jimmy is not worth rooting for.
Yeah that's why I'm a bit confused; we know the end of this story arch. We didn't know how the show would start until the brilliant Season 1 gave us Jimmy, a far more likable / complicated character than Saul. But in the back of your mind you have to know he becomes Saul; that's the entire point.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I'm not exactly rooting for Jimmy but just enjoying the ride. It is hard not to root for him a little considering how Chuck held him back. In real life, all of these guys would be despicable.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Are the people rooting for Jimmy people who never saw Breaking Bad? Because we know 100% for sure that Jimmy is not worth rooting for.

There is the shadow of what he becomes and nothing about these events being mentioned in Breaking Bad but the show also portrays him as a pitiable underdog, especially in the season opener future scenes. It's a bit much to say we're meant to see him as a person with no moral character worth rooting for.

Also it's been a while since I've watched Breaking Bad, is there anything other than Saul casually suggesting murdering someone in the first season that makes more than just a slimy asshole? I can write that off as an artifact of early characterization during a troubled first season.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Not directed towards me, but I'm basically ideologically against the idea of 'rooting' for any character, in basically all fiction. Stories aren't sports games where you cheer on your favorite team, your just handicapping your inclination to empathize by tying yourself to one person and wanting him to just win it. Now, I'm not going to tell you I never do it, the same I wouldn't expect you to believe me if I told you that I never tell a lie, but I just don't think it's a good practice to be as a viewer.

So, with regards to Howard being bullied by Jimmy, my framework is that I just empathize with both of them. I empathize with Jimmy's irrational, longstanding hatred of Howard, I empathize with his bitterness, I empathize with Howard trying to extend his open hand, I empathize with his being made a fool of.

Imo, it's the best way to enjoy the drama. You feel for everyone.
I can't say I feel for everyone man. This would make sense for a story like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings (maybe those are bad examples for being fantasy) where it's a clear good vs. evil. What is it about Jimmy's hatred and bitterness that you empathize with?
I think maybe the things people are in fact feeling? Discomfort, disappointment, etc.
That's how I was feeling, but the tone in those scenes - both the bowling ball scene and the hooker scene - to me, come off as pure comedy i.e. meant to make the viewer laugh.
Well Kim for one; but why does the viewer need to "root for" anyone? That always confuses me; seen movie reviews for movies I love where the complaint was there was nobody to root for. If a story is about assholes, then it's a story about assholes.
I stopped rooting for her after episode 1. Once she pulled Jimmy into this and tried to drag in some justice for Acker, I immediately thought she sided with the wrong party and won't be surprised if it destroys her, but she brought it entirely onto herself. We see some backstory and a flashback of hers to fill in why she would want to act the way she does, but her story doesn't mirror Acker's. What she said to him episode 1 stuck with me the most, which was that all of his neighbors had to give in, so he shouldn't deserve any special treatment, yet she pivots and decides he does deserve special treatment. Maybe she was thinking she was doing the right thing for one person where all the rest weren't able to get moral justice because they had to capitulate to legal justice, or maybe she was convincing herself of that to defy Mesa Verde.

But yes, you have a point that every story doesn't have to have a character that the audience needs to root for. But in the first season, I liked Saul and I felt sympathy for him in that scene where Chuck scolds him. Nonetheless, as you said, this is Jimmy's story, and Jimmy is an asshole. This conversation is specifically about what he's been doing to Howard this season, and I don't enjoy watching the asshole being an asshole without any consequences.
Maybe a small touch of that; like some might think Howard is a rich cornball deserving of the treatment (they show he's still filthy rich, has a corny license plate, etc.).. but I think that's far more subtle than them making Howard look like the good guy in the scenario.
I don't necessarily see Howard as a good guy or a bad guy, for this season I just see him as a bystander in all the other events that are going on. Unfortunately for him because of bad blood, Jimmy has an unforgiving vendetta and won't let up for his own twisted amusement.
I really don't see how it can be interpreted as people are supposed to be rooting for Jimmy; they clearly have repeatedly showed Howard as a pretty good guy.. they show the viewer that it wasn't Howard who wronged Jimmy, but Chuck in past seasons.. They show Howard offering Jimmy a job this season, etc.

Almost everyone who watches the show remarks that they like Howard, I don't think the show runners are unaware of that. And they double downed on his likability this season if anything. Then they have Jimmy acting like a petty psycho towards him. They also have Jimmy acting like an asshole to Kim... I mean seems really obvious to me this is Jimmy falling way over the edge of becoming the "bad guy" AKA Saul.

At most they are still playing the "gray area" thing a bit but it's far more leaning towards him not being the one you are supposed to root for than the other way around.
The way I see it being interpreted as people rooting for Jimmy is, as I stated before, those scenes just being comedy. Not only that, but comedy filler. Again, unless Howard bites back with Jimmy's guard down, Howard's storyline, this part of his arc in BCS is just filler to add comic relief to what is otherwise a serious drama.

I don't see Howard as a good guy or a bad guy. Other than the job offer he gave Jimmy, he's just minding his own business. And I don't know if almost everyone who watches the show likes him. Maybe, maybe not. The only thing I am trying to say in all of this is that if this is all there is to his storyline this season, then this season loses points. In a list of pros and cons, this would be a con in my book, no pun intended.
I never rooted for Saul in Breaking Bad, but that was Walter White's show, not Saul's. There was a sea of characters to hate and love in Breaking Bad and Saul was one of them and by the time he showed up everybody knew he was a scumbag when he was introduced because of Jesse mentioning him as a criminal lawyer. So in this sea of characters to despise, among them Saul, I specifically remember him resenting Walter for poisoning Brock. So as much a scumbag he is, the show demonstrated that he has a line he doesn't want to cross and does still have a conscience.
Yeah that's why I'm a bit confused; we know the end of this story arch. We didn't know how the show would start until the brilliant Season 1 gave us Jimmy, a far more likable / complicated character than Saul. But in the back of your mind you have to know he becomes Saul; that's the entire point.
I get the point. And I did like him a lot more in season 1. He's Saul now. I just don't want him to constantly have the Ws without any Ls

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I feel for everyone man. This would make sense for a story like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings (maybe those are bad examples for being fantasy) where it's a clear good vs. evil. What is it about Jimmy's hatred and bitterness that you empathize with?
What do you mean? It makes less sense for stories like HP and Lord of the Rings because in those stories the villains are meant to be hated and despised utterly. Everything about Voldemort is meant to be repulsive, and not just in terms of morality, he's supposed to look gross, he's supposed to be unpleasant, he doesn't have any actual reasons for doing what he does except power hunger, he's a hypocrite, his few jokes aren't funny just cruel, he's a major disappointment as a major user since he just spams avada kedavra. Voldemort is just an empty shell that Harry is meant to struggle with, but overcome and your 10000000000% meant to be on his side when he does it. So, there's no point empathizing with Voldemort because even ignoring the morality, he's just devoid of any humanity. He's just this embodiment of suck that happens to be a threat. Same thing with Sauron, he's not so much an character as he is just an incarnation of the abstract idea of evil, so what is there to empathize with?

It's character studies like BCS where this mentality thrives better than anywhere. Everyone has human reasons for doing what they do.

As far as empathizing with Jimmy's hatred, it's easy - isn't there anyone you hate? Or have hated at some point in your life? Anyone you feel bitter about? Well, there you go, that's empathy. Well, it's technically relatability, but empathy is just applied relatability, so same difference.

Last edited:

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean? It makes less sense for stories like HP and Lord of the Rings because in those stories the villains are meant to be hated and despised utterly. Everything about Voldemort is meant to be repulsive, and not just in terms of morality, he's supposed to look gross, he's supposed to be unpleasant, he doesn't have any actual reasons for doing what he does except power hunger, he's a hypocrite, his few jokes aren't funny just cruel, he's a major disappointment as a major user since he just spams avada kedavra. Voldemort is just an empty shell that Harry is meant to struggle with, but overcome and your 10000000000% meant to be on his side when he does it. So, there's no point empathizing with Voldemort because even ignoring the morality, he's just devoid of any humanity.

As far as empathizing with Jimmy's hatred, it's easy - isn't there anyone you hate? Or have hated at some point in your life? Anyone you feel bitter about? Well, there you go, that's empathy. Well, it's technically relatability, but empathy is just applied relatability, so same difference.
I'm sorry, I worded my post poorly. I meant that, rooting for a party would make more sense in a story like HP or LOTR, where there is a clear good vs. evil battle. Such a thing isn't straight black and white in a show like BCS or BB or even GoT sometimes.

Anyway, about Jimmy and Howard. Of course there are people I hate, that I feel bitter about. Those feelings I can empathize with, yeah. But I wouldn't go do some shit that would just cause more problems for them just to stroke my own ego. Especially doing such things behind their back I think would be pathetic and even cowardly to an extent.

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, I worded my post post poorly. I meant that, rooting for a party would make more sense in a story like HP or LOTR, where there is a clear good vs. evil battle. Such a thing isn't straight black and white in a show like BCS or BB or even GoT sometimes.

When it comes to fiction like that, the parts where I am most clearly pigeonholed into rooting for someone are the parts that bore me more than anyone. Like, Harry Potter, I have way more investment in Harry's relationship with dumbledore, Ron and Hermione, Sirius or Snape. But whenever Voldemort comes up, I just want them to get on with it, because there's nothing interesting about their relationship. Voldemort's just an absolute evil and Harry needs to get rid of him and that's their whole story. It's boring.

Anyway, about Jimmy and Howard. Of course there are people I hate, that I feel bitter about. Those feelings I can empathize with, yeah. But I wouldn't go do some shit that would just cause more problems for them just to stroke my own ego. Especially doing such things behind their back I think would be pathetic and even cowardly to an extent.

Empathy is a matter of feelings, not actions. It's basically 100% all about feeling with a character, not what they're doing. For example, I would never cook crystal meth, but the reason Walter White does is because he likes a job well done. He likes that he's an expert in his field and he likes making a quality product and that gives him feelings of satisfaction, like he fulfilled a task worthy of completing and he can then sit back and profit off it. For me, that's comparable to me writing a really good essay. I like talking about stuff, I like making good arguments, and if I do a really good job, I can take a series of complex ideas that exist in abstraction in my head and put them into words and then build those words into sentences and paragraphs that are strong and comprehensive and articulate. And when that happens, I take satisfaction in a job well done, which is what Walter feels - even though writing essays on media and cooking meth are things that have no overlap whatsoever.

So, what your describing is, it seems, that you do empathize with hatred, but not his acting on the hatred. So, maybe you don't empathize with his schadenfreude. But the thing is, you can mix and match. It's really the same deal as before. Have you ever taken satisfaction from someone suffering? Like, someone bad maybe? It'd be hard for me to believe you haven't, since it's kind of a human thing. Well, again, there you go, use that and you have a very short path to feelings that are similar to what Jimmy feels when he makes Howard squirm.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
That's how I was feeling, but the tone in those scenes - both the bowling ball scene and the hooker scene - to me, come off as pure comedy

*snip*

I get the point. And I did like him a lot more in season 1. He's Saul now. I just don't want him to constantly have the Ws without any Ls

Good points; not deleting most of your post because it isn't worth responding to but kind of boiling it down to these 2 things as I think it's the gist of what you are getting at and trying to be more succinct here. I agree the tone felt off in the bowling ball scenes for sure; I was actually miffed by that entire episode. I agree the tone of those scenes could be better; but I think the point still is just to highlight just how petty Jimmy has become, not really to show him as the person "winning" / worth rooting for. He's accomplishing nothing, he probably won't even realistically cause Howard much more than a few inconveniences, at great risk to himself. And we could see a reckoning to those scenes in the future.

I think the L's are coming; and they'll probably be numerous.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Another brilliant episode. There is a streak in Kim that likes the schemes just as much as Jimmy. She clearly loves him and is fighting an internal battle between her desire to be a straight, virtuous lawyer and her own rebellious streak. I don't really want to see what happens to Kim, cause it won't be good, yet I can't look away. These are the most fully realised characters I've seen on TV in years.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's been years since I've watched Breaking Bad so I don't recall but is there anything there that would prove that Kim wasn't around? Normally I would hate a twist like this but I think they could pull off KIm being married to Jimmy during Breaking Bad. At this point it feels like Kim dislike being the sucker in Jimmy's schemes rather than him being a schemer. All of that happening to Jimmy, and him not telling her about it until the very end, could be a massive blow to Kim.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
It's been years since I've watched Breaking Bad so I don't recall but is there anything there that would prove that Kim wasn't around? Normally I would hate a twist like this but I think they could pull off KIm being married to Jimmy during Breaking Bad. At this point it feels like Kim dislike being the sucker in Jimmy's schemes rather than him being a schemer. All of that happening to Jimmy, and him not telling her about it until the very end, could be a massive blow to Kim.
Not really a proof but wasn't there a scene where Jimmy was getting a blow job by his assistant? I think that might be a reason for why she isn't with him.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jimmy is going to push Howard to suicide, isn't he? I can see him forging a note from Chuck that's suddenly discovered and blames Howard for not standing behind him.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
That was a riveting episode, my only issue is that the cartel plotline had gotten really stale. Whenever Mike appears on screen I just don't care about what's happening at all. Saul/Kim plot had been consistently top notch this entire season though and I'm terrified and excited for where it's heading.