• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vlad

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't get a chance to see any of this season until today, but I've got to agree with everybody else that they keep managing to churn out some amazing stuff.

One little detail that I really liked that I didn't see anybody mention yet: When Gene calls Ed in the premiere, he asks for an adapter for the usual model of vacuum, to indicate that he needs to make a change to an existing arrangement, as opposed to the dust filter that one usually asks for when starting fresh.

Man, Ocho Loco just gets more and more pathetic. I almost feel bad for him.

And, Kim's fate aside, what the hell happens to Nacho (and Lalo)? There's a guy whose absence in BB isn't easily explained.

Safe to assume that Lalo's dead by the Breaking Bad timeline, since Gus made a point of telling Hector that the Salamanca name would die with him.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That was such an amazing ending for being so simple with no dialog.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Also do we think Kim was lying about her past? I couldn't remember what we already knew about her, but the character sold it so earnestly I couldn't tell if it was true or not. Acker clearly didn't think so.
I was thinking about that too but he said something like " You'll say anything to get what you want". Whether or not Kim was making it up or being honest , that statement rings true regardless.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
When she was talking about her toes, she seemed hesitant like she was making that part up on the fly.
Could be.
I think Kim was being earnest about getting him out of there and into a new home at the very least. She tries so hard to do the right thing. Which is partly why I love the end scene of chucking bottles and just going into fuck it mode.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Loved the intro with the ants. Mike is still badass while drunk. Hank and Gomez! Nice Barry Corbin cameo. Poor Kim. "When you're in, you're in."

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Also do we think Kim was lying about her past? I couldn't remember what we already knew about her, but the character sold it so earnestly I couldn't tell if it was true or not. Acker clearly didn't think so.

I think she was being sincere but the guy was right... she was still trying to get him to do what Mesa Verde wanted.

Kim's storyline is starting to parallel Jimmy's except hers is still an inner conflict. Jimmy has already embraced his dual identities and is on the road to fully embracing the new identity of Saul. It will be interesting to see if Kim takes the same path or decides that being moral is more important than being a successful lawyer at any cost. That's if she lives long enough to decide... although I predict she won't die.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
It was good to see old faces and any scenes with Kim are great, but I didn't find this episode to be all that interesting.
A lot of things were set up in this episode, but not a lot *happened*, so to speak.
Looking forward to next week.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Weird abrupt sudden cut during the interrogation. I thought Netflix crash.

I was worried Kim will get shotgun when she entered the house at night

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the detail of Domingo just reciting the exact same script over and over when he was interrupted because he memorized it and isn't as good as bullshitting as Jimmy

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about that too but he said something like " You'll say anything to get what you want". Whether or not Kim was making it up or being honest , that statement rings true regardless.
Could be.
I think Kim was being earnest about getting him out of there and into a new home at the very least. She tries so hard to do the right thing. Which is partly why I love the end scene of chucking bottles and just going into fuck it mode.
I think she was being sincere but the guy was right... she was still trying to get him to do what Mesa Verde wanted.

Kim's storyline is starting to parallel Jimmy's except hers is still an inner conflict. Jimmy has already embraced his dual identities and is on the road to fully embracing the new identity of Saul. It will be interesting to see if Kim takes the same path or decides that being moral is more important than being a successful lawyer at any cost. That's if she lives long enough to decide... although I predict she won't die.

Based on the behind the scenes vid it seems loke she was telling the truth.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing episode, all this stuff with Kim is just breaking my heart

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Realistically I know they wouldn't have Kim in a car accident again, but the way it lingered on her driving in the car made me so nervous

Same for her going back to check in on the old man

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
It makes sense that Kim was telling the truth because it leads directly into the throwing the bottles scene where she seems to be saying fuck it with trying to be nice and do the right thing.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are missing the bigger point about the Kim scene.

Whether she was telling the truth or not, Kim was using her sob story as an emotional mechanism to try and maneuver the guy into doing what she wants. She's coming to the point where she's been scheming long enough that the lines between her trying to exploit someone and trying to be genuinely emotionally vulnerable are becoming blurred. In this case, it's one and the same because she has multiple motivations convening on the same goal:

1. She wants him out because Mesa Verde wants him out and she works for them so giving him incentive to go is helpful,
2. she wants him out with a good deal because she is trying to be a good person looking out for the little guy, since that's her self image, the "Good Lawyer".
3. she wants him out because he called her the fuck out, nailing down that she does those pro-bono cases to assuage her guilt over the fact that she became a corporate lawyer as well as her participation in Jimmy's schemes when they aren't for fun.

All 3 of these motives agree on the end goal (getting the guy out with a good deal), but can't really be said to coalesce and combine into one as her "I want to still be a good person" motive can't really jell with her "I work for a bank and what banks want, banks get", neither of which jell with "I'll use this sob story so I can exploit emotional vulnerability out of this guy, just like I did with Jimmy's schemes" since that's both manipulative (a bad value trait) and it's personal for her (which means it isn't just for her job).

It's complex because it cannot be one thing, but the multiple things it is don't mesh together in a neat way, so your left to ponder on what is truly going on here.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It makes sense that Kim was telling the truth because it leads directly into the throwing the bottles scene where she seems to be saying fuck it with trying to be nice and do the right thing.

She lied to her client and got what she wanted, she told the truth to the homeowner and didn't. She was forced to put her own passion (her pro bono work) aside for what she despises (Mesa Verde), etc. Everything is backwards, and she's starting to realize there's a method to Jimmy's madness, but she has no experience in navigating that sort of territory on her own (whereas he has decades), and it will probably blow up in her face.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I thought for sure that the old man would have killed himself by the time Kim went back, and that would start her downward spiral, but in hindsight I'm glad it didn't happen because it would have been too cliched.

I don't think she will die though, I'm guessing she is gonna do something to lose her license, while also getting constantly disgusted by Jimmy's change, so she will just leave everything behind. Or at least I hope so. It would also be a nice twist if it turned out that Kim never left, and she was still together with Jimmy in BB, we just never saw anything about their personal life.

Oct 27, 2017
Ice Station Zebra Associates is just sitting there as a ticking time bomb. I think whatever happens with that $10k check they scammed in the bar ends up being the show's endgame for Kim.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm still calling it - Kim is going to get fed up, start fully getting into the shady shit with Jimmy, and eventually Jimmy has to throw her under the bus to save himself.

That or she gets caught up with the cartel with Jimmy and ends up dead.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man I have a serious crush on Nacho.

You just know the sex will be really hot cos you don't know if he'll kill you or not afterwards.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
"Yo, ni madres! Yo no voy a huir!"

Well, fuck. I wonder how Lalo will save his father now.
you mean Nacho right?
Yeah, I think it's what's gonna make Nacho turn on them all for good. Maybe take out Lalo in the process, with Saul being unaware of the ending there, leading to the Breaking Bad scene where Jesse and Walt kidnap him.

And fuck yeah, Gommie and Hank once more.
even if Nacho turns on them, you know he's gonna lose. He can't take Gus down
The actor for Hank wasn't in anything good after Breaking Bad ending. I like to think his return is a big deal for him. Hopefully he can utilize this spotlight to get better parts in the future.
Wasn't he in Class?
Realistically I know they wouldn't have Kim in a car accident again, but the way it lingered on her driving in the car made me so nervous

Same for her going back to check in on the old man
Yeah, I was worried there was gonna be another car accident
I thought for sure that the old man would have killed himself by the time Kim went back, and that would start her downward spiral, but in hindsight I'm glad it didn't happen because it would have been too cliched.

I don't think she will die though, I'm guessing she is gonna do something to lose her license, while also getting constantly disgusted by Jimmy's change, so she will just leave everything behind. Or at least I hope so. It would also be a nice twist if it turned out that Kim never left, and she was still together with Jimmy in BB, we just never saw anything about their personal life.
if they reveal she was a part of his life all throughout BB then it's a pretty big retcon. How would they get away with him becoming Gene and leaving her

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Saul meeting Hank and Steve there was a bit of a plot hole considering their first encounter in Breaking Bad. But I loved seeing them again. Another great episode.

EDIT: Maybe not so much. Misremembered the scene. It seemed to imply that it was their first time meeting (and may have been), but the way the scene is delivered it could work either way.

Last edited:

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Yeah having Hank back was great entertainment. Love him and those guys. My prediction is still that Kim walks away form Jimmy in the end and, yeah, her career.

Oct 28, 2017
I get what they were trying to do with that scene, but it was very heavy handed.
Jonathan Banks thought it was out of character too. Actually had a debate on set about it.

I think Kim is going to be disbarred and jailed because of Jimmy/Saul. She doesn't bring out the better in Jimmy. He brings out the worst in her. Also think that Gene scene in the 1st episode in this season's cold opening hints at that with Gene saying he is going to fix it himself. I can't help but think that is Kim related.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Random: but watching that clip reminded me that I was annoyed they didn't get Saul's hair right in the Breaking Bad flashforward. His hair is way more receeded in Breaking Bad than what they showed in BCS.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Random: but watching that clip reminded me that I was annoyed they didn't get Saul's hair right in the Breaking Bad flashforward. His hair is way more receeded in Breaking Bad than what they showed in BCS.
all of the characters look older in this prequel than they do in breakin bad.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Five seasons in and I still hate the fact at the start of the episode you get the cool intro then prompt cut to black A NETFLIX ORIGINAL SERIES. That title should be at the very start.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
all of the characters look older in this prequel than they do in breakin bad.

Meh I can forgive the skin but the hair being fuller is a specific style choice they had for costuming Jimmy, so it shoulda been more receeded in the flashforward like it is in the grayscale flashforward. Das all I'm sayin ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda hard for that not to be the case
there are ways of making it less obvious if the producers thought it was necessary.
Meh I can forgive the skin but the hair being fuller is a specific style choice they had for costuming Jimmy, so it shoulda been more receeded in the flashforward like it is in the grayscale flashforward. Das all I'm sayin ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I see you've got that attention to detail, to be honest I didn't really notice.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
She lied to her client and got what she wanted, she told the truth to the homeowner and didn't. She was forced to put her own passion (her pro bono work) aside for what she despises (Mesa Verde), etc. Everything is backwards, and she's starting to realize there's a method to Jimmy's madness, but she has no experience in navigating that sort of territory on her own (whereas he has decades), and it will probably blow up in her face.

Excellent observation and that was my take as well. Most people who know Jimmy, (Kim, Chuck) think of him as somewhat sleazy but Kim is starting to realize Jimmy has a real talent for this.