• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
Yes!

Finally available on Netflix. Going to watch it tonight.

Nz73iIO.jpg

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Watched the Episode on Netflix Germany, great start to the new season.
Oh man, the future scenes will end exactly like with Walter won't they? He went through heaven and hell but in the end the little Nazi group was what ended everything. Now after everything Saul went through, he will be unsuccessful with whatever he tries now and will fail because of these 2 normal people.

How many episodes will this season have? Netflix has 6 with episode names listed right now.

Nov 1, 2017
Watched the Episode on Netflix Germany, great start to the new season.
Oh man, the future scenes will end exactly like with Walter won't they? He went through heaven and hell but in the end the little Nazi group was what ended everything. Now after everything Saul went through, he will be unsuccessful with whatever he tries now and will fail because of these 2 normal people.

How many episodes will this season have? Netflix has 6 with episode names listed right now.

10 episodes

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
This is going to be a painful season and it's only Episode 1.
Don't hurt Kim ;(

I don't know if I agree that Kim is going to go to prison, but I'm half-expecting the show's finale to be Saul being put into a situation where he has to revert back to being Jimmy and Kim is the only one who can save him, and she refuses.

Either that or a court case pitting the two of them against one another
Or maybe she loses her license, realizes she won't/can't get it back the right way if she's still with Jimmy, chooses to do what's best for her and leaves.
Great episode.

I'm really excited for what looks to be another Gus Fring face off.

Kim though... This is going to hurt.
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone summarize what happened last season with Lalo spying on Gus and what happened with the head German guy? I remember he felt homesick and ran away?

Oct 27, 2017
Really nice first episode.
I am still not sure where Kim is going. Her conflict have been really interesting.

Also Lalo is a really cool antagonist. He feels way more threatning that the past antagonists for some reason.

Apr 19, 2018
Man, Kai had that punch coming for a while -- even if he was in generally good standing with Mike toward the end of last season.

But I'm glad to see that they've tied off the potential plot hole as to why the superlab was in construction years before Breaking Bad, but wasn't actually up and running until mid-BB.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Can someone summarize what happened last season with Lalo spying on Gus and what happened with the head German guy? I remember he felt homesick and ran away?

Lalo witnessed Gus's team going crazy when Ziegler went missing and followed them around, intuited that something was up with the laundromat, and was able to get Ziegler to talk to him on the phone for a few minutes. Ziegler ran away to meet his wife for a bit but Mike had to kill him bc he was too much of a risk now.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Lalo witnessed Gus's team going crazy when Ziegler went missing and followed them around, intuited that something was up with the laundromat, and was able to get Ziegler to talk to him on the phone for a few minutes. Ziegler ran away to meet his wife for a bit but Mike had to kill him bc he was too much of a risk now.
Ziegler's plan, since they wouldn't let him return to Germany for a few days, was to escape then have his wife fly to ABQ and meet him for a few days at a resort. Then he'd return to the site and finish the job (as mentioned in the note he left). This all happening after work on the site was taking longer than expected, and he had a panic attack fixing wiring to explosives. Also during the crew's "field trip," Werner got drunk and started blabbing a bit about the work. So while Mike likes him, he doesn't entirely trust him alone, off-site. So Werner figures if he can't get permission, he'll just ask forgiveness when he returns.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
Kim wasn't doing it for the thrill of the scam. She was arguing against Jimmy's underhanded tactics, his outright illegal way of getting justice, his shortcuts to doing what needs to be done. We saw it as Jimmy said with Mesa Verde, with Huell's assault case, to finally bring down and break down Chuck. Kim does not vacillate in what she attempts to achieve. Her purpose and moral line is clearly delineated for justice, it is what drove Kim to the law, and Jimmy followed for her.
He has done much of it for her, and she has helped him in kind, his way, and the conflict with her was brewing underneath already, even as she wanted to do it again to set things right. But at the end of last season she felt first hand the deception in her bones from a person she trusts and was put off.
That is why she is trying to resist Jimmy's dishonesty, it is inherently antithetical to her purpose.
Yet Jimmy's methods work to achieve their end, she understands and feels the power of it, is tempted by it to overcome the stupidity that goes along with her type of clientele, and Kim is angry at the reality of it. She wants to achieve justice and is angry that she has to be dishonest to get it done, more than once now, the slippery slope of Slippin' Jimmy.

None of that suggests to me that she is going to go to prison or die. She might get disbarred or just perhaps might get disgusted enough and leave it all to hell. Not repulsed by Jimmy, she has been through a lot with him, she has stood by him no matter what, she has his back. She might end up disillusioned with herself and what she is capable of doing in the name of justice. We have seen her get awful close to that point already.

God I love Kim, what a fantastic character brought to life.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Kim wasn't doing it for the thrill of the scam. She was arguing against Jimmy's underhanded tactics, his outright illegal way of getting justice, his shortcuts to doing what needs to be done. We saw it as Jimmy said with Mesa Verde, with Huell's assault case, to finally bring down and break down Chuck. Kim does not vacillate in what she attempts to achieve. Her purpose and moral line is clearly delineated for justice, it is what drove Kim to the law, and Jimmy followed for her.
He has done much of it for her, and she has helped him in kind, his way, and the conflict with her was brewing underneath already, even as she wanted to do it again to set things right. But at the end of last season she felt first hand the deception in her bones from a person she trusts and was put off.
That is why she is trying to resist Jimmy's dishonesty, it is inherently antithetical to her purpose.
Yet Jimmy's methods work to achieve their end, she understands and feels the power of it, is tempted by it to overcome the stupidity that goes along with her type of clientele, and Kim is angry at the reality of it. She wants to achieve justice and is angry that she has to be dishonest to get it done, more than once now, the slippery slope of Slippin' Jimmy.

None of that suggests to me that she is going to go to prison or die. She might get disbarred or just perhaps might get disgusted enough and leave it all to hell. Not repulsed by Jimmy, she has been through a lot with him, she has stood by him no matter what, she has his back. She might end up disillusioned with herself and what she is capable of doing in the name of justice. We have seen her get awful close to that point already.

It's already quite possible that this specific trick she pulled on the client will be Kim's downfall. It's a huge ethical/professional failure, and it would be easily found out if that dumb client is ever in a position to mention the plea deal potentially being yanked in front of the prosecutors, or if he notices, hey, that Saul Goodman guy isn't a prosecutor after all and starts asking questions. And while you can't blame Jimmy directly, you can definitely still blame Jimmy's influence. I'm sure he would blame himself, too.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
Crap I thought it started tonight. Well i have something to look forward to tonight at least. :)

Oct 25, 2017
Ziegler's plan, since they wouldn't let him return to Germany for a few days, was to escape then have his wife fly to ABQ and meet him for a few days at a resort. Then he'd return to the site and finish the job (as mentioned in the note he left). This all happening after work on the site was taking longer than expected, and he had a panic attack fixing wiring to explosives. Also during the crew's "field trip," Werner got drunk and started blabbing a bit about the work. So while Mike likes him, he doesn't entirely trust him alone, off-site. So Werner figures if he can't get permission, he'll just ask forgiveness when he returns.

Right, it was so long ago I forgot

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
In the case of this specific episode, I think this is less a matter of the thrill of pulling a grift and more that she is starting to overly rely on grifting when it produces easy results compared to doing things the right way. That guy was going to take the trial against her advice and advising him as a lawyer wasn't working, so she went with Jimmy's scare monger technique.

I'd have honestly just left the idiot to the wolves. There's stupidity, then there is the legal equivalent of the darwin award this guy was going for.

I think personally I would've done the same, BUT in Kim's case I think it's a mixture of:

1) Going to trial will be much more time consuming for her (especially knowing she's fighting a losing case)
+
2) Adding a surefire L to your win/lose column is something no attorney worth their weight wants to do

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

Yeah, I was thinking about that point. So much of what he did earlier in the series was either directly or indirectly for her, or for his dream of them working together, side by side (and more broadly about keeping their relationship alive). Mesa Verde wasn't just about getting back at Chuck, it was about Kim keeping a big, profitable client when she moved to a private practice. Hustling to sell that unused ad time was so they could afford to keep the joint office space, so it (and he) wouldn't be a financial liability, so she wouldn't have to go back to being an associate at a big firm. But after the crash, Chuck's death, losing the office, Kim going back to a big firm, his actions are more and more about himself, with little consideration for or input from Kim. The cell phone hustle wasn't really because he needed the money, he needed the action.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When Lalo was first introduced last season he seemed like a bit of a pushover but over time he's steadily become more intimidating and cunning. He'll probably get killed off by the end of the season but for now he's an interesting and unpredictable character and I like how he screws with Gus/Mike/Nacho and makes them second guess everything he does.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
was there an episode last night? I could catch that on amc.com?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Is this available as rental or purchase on Amazon during the week the episodes come out? My wife and I don't have cable but we love this show and want to keep up with it.
It's been a while since I've checked, but I think AMC's stuff is usually up on Amazon the day after airing?
I checked today and yes, Amazon has last night's episode available today. $2.99/ep or $24.99 season pass (HD).

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That was a great first episode back, and reminded me why I love this show so much. The cinemateography in particular is always a step above what other shows are doing.

The Robert Forster appearance was a surprise. Must have filmed it at the same team as the El Camino stuff.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Great episode. Those first fifteen minutes were superb. I forgot how good Vince Gilligan is at doing tension.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The Robert Forster appearance was a surprise. Must have filmed it at the same team as the El Camino stuff.

Originally, Gould wrote Gene and Ed's phone call in a way where we would just hear Ed's voice, because it didn't seem practical to spend production money to rebuild the vacuum shop and fly Robert Forster into Albuquerque for such a brief scene. But then, Gould tells me, "Our brilliant producer, Melissa Bernstein, realized the there was a scene with Robert at the vacuum cleaner store in El Camino (this was months before Saul started shooting). She asked me if I'd like to actually SEE Robert in the 501 teaser, instead of just hearing his voice. I said 'Hell, yes!' Vince agreed to shoot Robert's half of the conversation in his El Camino schedule. I quickly rewrote the scene and Robert came on board. It came together in a matter of days and I'm so glad it did." Forster tragically died the day El Camino was released, and "Magic Man" concludes with a dedication to "our friend Robert Forster." It is a lovely and bittersweet quirk of timing that we get this final glimpse of Ed, and I confess to getting very choked up when I realized whom Gene was calling, and that it was that reassuringly gravely voice on the other end of the line.

www.rollingstone.com

'Better Call Saul' Season Premiere Recap: Magic Man

'Better Call Saul' gives Jimmy McGill a new name, new practice—and begins the series' endgame. Alan Sepinwall recaps the Season 5 premiere.

Apr 19, 2018
Great episode. Those first fifteen minutes were superb. I forgot how good Vince Gilligan is at doing tension.

Credit should also be given to Peter Gould, who not only wrote this episode, but is co-showrunner for BCS alongside Gilligan.

In fact, it could be argued that BCS is more Gould's baby since he's much more involved with its production than Gilligan is.

Last edited:

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Isn't this more on writer/showrunner Peter Gould and Director Bronwen Hughes? I don't think Vince Gilligan is as involved anymore aside from directing the odd episode here and there.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I can't watch the premiere because the Fire TV AMC app stays stuck on the splash screen ;~;

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Still the best thing on TV right now. I can't wait to see what Jimmy is going to do in present day.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

There's the implication that she's still practicing as of Breaking Bad, given that in the one flash-forward scene of Saul making the call to the Extractor, he gives Francesca a business card to recommend counsel to her. It would have to be Kim.

Oct 28, 2017
Credit should also be given to Peter Gould, who not only wrote this episode, but is co-showrunner for BCS alongside Gilligan.

In fact, it could be argued that BCS is more Gould's baby since he's much more involved with its production than Gilligan is.
He was the one who came up with Saul in the first place.
Isn't this more on writer/showrunner Peter Gould and Director Bronwen Hughes? I don't think Vince Gilligan is as involved anymore aside from directing the odd episode here and there.
He's more hands off developing other projects(El Camino being one), but he said he will be there as much as possible for season 6.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Gus adjusting his tie with half his face blown off was a full comic book moment.

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn Odenkirk is so good.
I really hate this character, he's a cartoon and doesn't belong in this universe.

Good news is he's never mentioned in Breaking Bad so he'll probably have a trip to Belize soon.

Eh, I kind of agree but he's no more a cartoon than Tuco or the twins. And the Nazis were pretty cartoony too. Todd aside.