• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one?

• DKC1

Votes: 113 31.3%
  • Yoshi's island

Votes: 248 68.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, you know, I will never forgive DKC for changing the look of DK for the worse permanently. Absolutely unforgivable.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it was DKC2 it would've been an interesting discussion. Now though?

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Hmmm. The platformer with outdated graphics (mind blowing at the time) and basic ass left to right stages, awful hitboxes and enemy placement, simple ass bosses but has a stellar soundtrack or a the platformer with exceptional completely original gameplay, varied stages, creativity out the wazoo, each boss is unique and a great soundtrack. Thats a tough one...

DKC2 was so much better than the first in every way unimaginable and would maybe be a contender but DKC1. No fuggin way

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi's Island blows DKC1 out of the water. I would have to admit DKC1's soundtrack is probably better, but I would barely qualify DKC1 as a good game. DKC2 gets closer to Yoshi's Island's level, and Tropical Freeze really competes, but DKC1? No way.

Carvel

Nov 6, 2017
Mainz, Germany
I think Yoshi's Island is the overall better product. They both have great, distinctive art styles and excellent soundtracks. But Yoshi's Islands gameplay and level design are better.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even a competition. DKC1 has aged very poorly and has totally slapdash level design where it feels like parts are just slapped together without much thought.. YI is a classic of the genre.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Considering I think DKC plays like shit and that YI is a marvel in level design, I'm gonna have to go with YI

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
As someone that genuinely loves both, I don't think one can replace the other as they have been both precious to me. However Yoshi's Island is a game that feels a lot better crafted, which is something you can see in the level design. I have never attempted to 100% complete DKC1 and I have done that at least three times with YI.

DKC1 is not without its faults and the internet will always remind you of it. I don't think my vote would change if YI was up against DKC2 as well, although it would be a lot closer in quality. The question between DKC and Yoshi Island as a series would have me hard pressed. I probably would choose DKC then, as I'm perfectly satisfied with just Yoshi Island, don't need a new game in that series, but I'm always craving for a DKC game especially after both Returns & Tropical Freeze didn't win me over.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Compelling OP right there

I mean, it's Yoshi, quite handily but well, since you mention "close release dates" as a comparison criteria I'm gonna say 95 belongs to DKC2 so take that!

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Yoshi's Island is probably the superior game, but I've always preferred DKC1. I got the game down to a science and can beat it in like, 45 minutes at this point.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I don't consider these two games in the same class at all. Yoshi's Island is much better than DKC1. Easily 2-3 tiers above it. It's one of the best 2D platformers of all time, whereas DKC1 is like... a good start to a series in which literally every game is better than it, a couple of them by a significant margin.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The real question is:

Donkey Kong Country Returns vs Yoshi's Island.

The current one is easy. YI.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been a huge fan of Yoshis Island, really over rated and the baby mechanic is just the worst.

So DK wins.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Unusually, I can acknowledge that Yoshi's Island is the better game, while far preferring Donkey Kong Country for its music, atmosphere and nostalgia factor.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Yoshi's Island is my favorite platformer on the SNES, so yes, I'd say it's better than DKC1. And 2, and 3.