• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one?

• DKC1

Votes: 113 31.3%
  • Yoshi's island

Votes: 248 68.7%

• Total voters

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Both close to the same time later into the snes, both with very unique stylistic visuals.
Dkc_snes_boxart.jpg
Yoshi%27s_Island_%28Super_Mario_World_2%29_box_art.jpg

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
DKC2 vs. Yoshi's Island would be an actual battle.

DKC1 is just unfair. YI curbstomps.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer DKC, but think they're both games. I know Island will win the vote though. I think of Island as similar to Tropical Freeze: both good games but not the second coming of 2D platformers as they are made out to be.

Antipode

Jul 25, 2019
The actual platforming of DKC is definitely superior to me. The momentum, speed, and weight feel great, and the pace of encountering secrets is satisfying. Yoshi's Island is very slow and methodical by comparison, and the length of levels can sometimes feel exhausting. However, it's also just overflowing with creativity and fun gameplay mechanics at every turn in a way that DKC is not - DKC is a pretty simple game. Yoshi's Island is also more polished in terms of hitboxes and stability and such. Overall I think Yoshi's Island is the better and more ambitious game, but I personally like DKC more. Outside of the gameplay, I really think DKC's atmosphere remains super appealing, in no small part because of the amazing soundtrack.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the the intense love for Yoshi's Island as a platformer to this day. DKC2 is definitely better than 1, but I still much prefer DKC1 to Yoshi.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
DKC, dare I say that I find Yoshi's Island boring. Levels are too long, game is too long, platforming is kind of plodding. DKC (all of them) are like playing a rhythm game, which I like a lot.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi's Island, at least to me. It's not even a close competition. I'm rather fond of DKC 1, but Yoshi's Island is in competition for the best 2D platformer of all time.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i honestly find this hard to answer actually, but i gave it to yoshi's island because i feel like it has more charm and more variety

but it's very close for me

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
For me, DKC1. But DKC1 is one of my favorite SNES games because of nostalgia so I'm biased.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I will always maintain that the last world of DKC brings down the experience significantly and the game would be better if it was cut and replaced with nothing.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I voted for Yoshi's Island here... if only due to the fact that Nintendo has managed to successfully iterate and improve upon DKC multiple times over whereas most (if not all) of the Yoshi's Island successors have proven to be pale imitations.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I never liked the egg shooting mechanic.

DKC for me. Still good in 2019

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yoshi is just more fun. DKC had better music but for whatever reason, i am never that enamored by it.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Yoshi's Island has so much more creativity, variation, charm, brilliant enemy design etc etc. I agree that many levels are too long though.

DKC only stands out in the atmosphere (visuals/audio) department.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi's Island is one of the Mario games I enjoyed less tbh. The artstyle is cute but gone is the great platforming. Still better than DKC though.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
This for me is really close but I give it to Yoshis Island. DKC 2 and DKC3 curbstomp both of these games though and are the 2 best snes platformers.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Yoshi. It's one of my favorite games even today and I imagine I'll be saying the same thing 20 years from now.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Yoshi's Island out of those two.

It becomes a different conversation if you compare YI to DKC2 though. Battle of the '95 games.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I hate DKC so most AAA platformers win against that piece of crap series for me.

Pitting it against YI is tantamount to putting me up against Brock Lesnar.

ssnick37

Oct 27, 2017
DKC is just so ugly IMO. I played tons when I was younger but YI is muich better all around.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Donkey Kong has always been the superior 2D platformer. It looks better, it sounds better and it's more fun to play.

Just look how Tropical Freeze fucking destroys NSMBU.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I find Yoshi Island more relaxing to play nowadays. It has its challenging moments but Donkey Kong games feel like loads of Kongs were killed by spikes, drowning and in mine karts and and only one made it to the end. It's all personal taste though.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
DKC1 doesn't have Baby Mario, collectibles or long-ass levels. Hitherto, it's better.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Donkey Kong has always been the superior 2D platformer. It looks better, it sounds better and it's more fun to play.

Tropical Freeze and NSMBU are completely unrelated to this discussion, not sure the relevance.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

Gameplay is subjective but it definitely doesn't look better unless you prefer the hybrid of sprites mimicing faux-3D which hasn't aged greatly. Yoshi's Island looks like an adorable painting in a baby's room.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yoshi's Island is so much better than DKC, it is no contest. The DKC series is unbeatable when it comes to ambience and atmosphere, but Yoshi's Island is a masterpiece in design - DKC is so simpler than it.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the levels in YI are too long for their own good and I hate the vehicle parts but I love the art style in that game so I'd put them about even. DKC isn't the best game of the snes trilogy though