• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I'm really enjoying many of the posts on Beto O'Rourke's Medium page. I like this sort of free flowing, personal reflection on everyday events and emotions. It sort of reminds me of Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle novels. I thought other users here might like his posts too. Recently he has been describing his time on the road and people and places he has encountered along the way.

Excerpt:
I drove back to the hotel, passing the First Baptist church where kids were throwing snow and slush at each other in the light of the headlamps of their parent's car. Made me think of our kids, and I missed them. Added to the low altitude I was experiencing. Maybe I'd been hoping for some kind of connection that day and hadn't found it. All the conversations had been pleasant, everyone was kind, but there hadn't been anything more than that. The waiters at Alejandro's were nice but they were finishing their shift, they wanted to eat their dinner after having served everyone else all night and close up.

I called Amy. Kids were in the car, she was a little distracted, we didn't connect either. Maybe you could meet people at a bar she said as we hung up.

I pulled into the bar next to the hotel and started to feel self conscious. They aren't going to want some stranger from out of town at their place. I walked in and took a seat at the bar, said a quick, probably nervous, hello to everyone and ordered a beer. Pro forma acknowledgement from the three or four guys who were already there.

I focused on the college basketball game, thinking I'll finish this beer and then get out of here. I told myself at least I tried.

Here is the link.

beto.jpg

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I get that he does have a clear advantage in this regard but the article comes off more spiteful than anything. It's all well and good pointing out that he's a white man and so can do things other people can't but, rather than post an article to complain about how easy he has it, why not write one on the very women who are kicking arse in politics right now and basically rewriting the playbook?

Why point out the obvious when you can highlight the incredible?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I get that he does have a clear advantage in this regard but the article comes off more spiteful than anything. It's all well and good pointing out that he's a white man and so can do things other people can't but, rather than post an article to complain about how easy he has it, why not write one on the very women who are kicking arse in politics right now and basically rewriting the playbook?

Why point out the obvious when you can highlight the incredible?

Can't do that when they gotta clear the path for Bernie.

Status
Not open for further replies.