• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hell yes he's gonna clap back

shame Beto isn't doing better, he's a much better candidate than some of the schlubs in front of him like Pete and Harris and, oh I dunno, BIDEN

Warren/Beto is coming into focus as the dream ticket this go around

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ummm... we DO have background checks? The issue is that around 20% of gun sales are done on a personal basis, and not through a vendor.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ummm... we DO have background checks? The issue is that around 20% of gun sales are done on a personal basis, and not through a vendor.
Our background checks suck. I used to work at a store that sold guns and the background check as basically "are you 18" and "do you have a criminal record"?

NOTHING on medical or psychological history, and even then we had so many people WITH criminal records that my supervisor went "oh, well, that wasn't so bad" or "that was awhile back" and did the sale anyway. Our FIRST CUSTOMER we asked to take a picture with him to celebrate our first gun sale and he freaked out, grabbed the gun, and ran out of the store into his truck and sped away. "Eh, at least he already paid us," my supervisor said.

As for our politicians... once again...
5671bb748bdf4.jpg

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Why can't the Dem old guards produce the same level of venom and vitrol towards the GOP as they seemingly, constantly do to people on their own side? People like Pelosi and Shumer are meek as hell when come to dealing with the GOP. But when it come to dealing with an outspoken person on their own party? They can throw the venom as well as any GOP partisan hack can.

Earlier in the year during the Pelosi/"The Squad" spat, I was honestly surprised at how vicious the Dems can be when they try. Too bad that viciousness is never pointed at fucking Mitch McConnell.

I recall someone saying something along the lines of the older folks on the left dealt with a GOP that could be reasoned with to some degree in the past. The new blood has never known that and all they've known is the GOP to be a bunch of scheming a-holes throughout their adult lives and deal with them accordingly.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know many people want to run for senate again but even in a state that is gradually trending blue is he really going to win in Texas being this stridently for gun control?

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
0% chance of winning Texas Senate pushing a mandatory weapon confiscation program. He is not pushing for a voluntary buyback, he is advocating to make owners into criminals. He done.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Schumer SUUUUUUUUUCKS. Inspires zero confidence in his caucus and cohorts.

Durbin would've been a billion timese better. Even Harry was way better. Nancy also, way better.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't the Dem old guards produce the same level of venom and vitrol towards the GOP as they seemingly, constantly do to people on their own side? People like Pelosi and Shumer are meek as hell when come to dealing with the GOP. But when it come to dealing with an outspoken person on their own party? They can throw the venom as well as any GOP partisan hack can.

Earlier in the year during the Pelosi/"The Squad" spat, I was honestly surprised at how vicious the Dems can be when they try. Too bad that viciousness is never pointed at fucking Mitch McConnell.

Old-ass Democrats remember a time when Republicans actually saw value in reaching across the aisle and working toward compromise, and refuse to acknowledge that all the Republicans who used to do that are either dead or retired, or have gone full right-wing nutjob to appease their frothing Nazi base.

Pelosi, Schumer, etc actually view people like McConnell as their 'friends' even though Mitch can, has, and WILL stab them in the back every single time they turn around. They're out-of-touch fools with no grasp on the realities of the modern political dynamic.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0% chance of winning Texas Senate pushing a mandatory weapon confiscation program. He is not pushing for a voluntary buyback, he is advocating to make owners into criminals. He done.

He's done? He's never even started, my guy. He's running for president. Which, admittedly, is a race in which he's done, too, but oh well.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Yes, it's ridiculous that even with overwhelming public support, meaningful gun legislation can't get passed (among other things, but that's off topic).

Schumer represents everything wrong with the legacy Democratic party. Their goal for 2020 is to simply return the country 'mostly' to 2015 status quo. Every candidate should be telling him that isn't good enough.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yep, Schumer is absolutely useless. Hopefully someone successfully primaries him at some point.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Pelosi and Schumer like having Trump as president. They arn't required to get anything done because they can't, so they just enjoy the power status while appearing to "resisting". This is why they'd rather Trump win again over Bernie or Warren.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yes, it's ridiculous that even with overwhelming public support, meaningful gun legislation can't get passed (among other things, but that's off topic).

Schumer represents everything wrong with the legacy Democratic party. Their goal for 2020 is to simply return the country 'mostly' to 2015 status quo. Every candidate should be telling him that isn't good enough.
How is that Schumer's fault? He doesn't have the majority in the Senate. Pelosi does, and she passed a gun control bill this year. That happened seven months ago!

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dems in disarray! But seriously fuck Schumer. Useless status quo bitch. Political infighting in a party is how we become better, so good on Beto.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Let's see her do it when she has a majority in the Senate. Also Beto's point.
I mean Pelosi will never have a majority in the Senate, I'm not really sure what you're asking here. She's Speaker of the House. What goes on in the Senate isn't her responsibility.

FWIW Schumer has been open to the idea of killing the filibuster, something many presidential candidates (including Bernie) have said they won't do, which is probably 100% what's necessary to pass a gun control bill. And nothing about Schumer, despite my general meh-ness towards and the venting from this thread or Beto, suggests to me that he has any problem with enacting stricter gun control laws. If Democrats win the House, Senate and presidency next year, it will probably happen.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean Pelosi will never have a majority in the Senate, I'm not really sure what you're asking here. She's Speaker of the House. What goes on in the Senate isn't her responsibility.
It's easier to pass a bill that makes you look good in the house when you know it will die in the oppositions senate. The question is, if the dems had the senate would she still be passing that bill? They had four years of both houses and we didn't see much progress then. two years of both houses AND the presidency. Zilch.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It's easier to pass a bill that makes you look good in the house when you know it will die in the oppositions senate. The question is, if the dems had the senate would she still be passing that bill? They had four years of both houses and we didn't see much progress then.
Pelosi passed several major bills between the 09-10 session that didn't go anywhere in the Senate. Cap & trade probably killed several Congresspersons' careers. The House also passed the DREAM Act during the lame duck session, but it failed to beat a Senate filibuster (because of five turncoat Democrats and one Manchin who wasn't present to vote on it, and yes, that is complete bullshit and you can totally be mad at them for it - I am! - although only Manchin and Jon Tester are still in office).

The version of the Affordable Care Act that originally passed the House also included the public option, and the Senate stripped it out.

The idea that Pelosi doesn't really support bills that she brings up because she knows they'll fail in the Senate seems... rather baffling to me, to be honest. Especially when you consider all the heat she takes for say, not supporting Medicare for All or marijuana legalization. Why not bring them up anyway if they're freebies? It's because she absolutely does support the bills the House has passed thus far, there is nothing in her very long career that makes me think otherwise. It's misplaced cynicism at its finest.

Like, if McConnell got struck by lightning tomorrow and came out of it a new man who said he would pass every bill Pelosi's House passed, what do you think she would do, declare backsies?

Last edited:

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, just to be clear, Schumer wrote and passed the Brady Bill and wrote the original 10 year assault weapons ban that actually passed.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Such a shame Beto will never make it as the official Dem nominee. I really like the guy and he has some fight in him. Maybe vice president?

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I question his motives, seeing as he wasn't talking this way when he had a realistic shot at being senator. Now that he's low in the polls in the presidential race, he has nothing to lose and is taking potshots. I think the guy is disingenuous, and he tends to play it safe normally.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I question his motives, seeing as he wasn't talking this way when he had a realistic shot at being senator. Now that he's low in the polls in the presidential race, he has nothing to lose and is taking potshots.
I can buy that a mass shooting in his district made him change his mind.

That being said, Schumer is, ironically, the politician that has done THE MOST to put gun control in place. Literally has written and passed the bill that banned assault weapons for a decade in the 90s. Literally wrote the Brady Bill. But people like the drama and care more about hating the establishment (Schumer is shit, just not on this issue) than facts.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
This ticks me off. Beto needs to win elections. Stop attacking your own party for attention.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I question his motives, seeing as he wasn't talking this way when he had a realistic shot at being senator. Now that he's low in the polls in the presidential race, he has nothing to lose and is taking potshots. I think the guy is disingenuous, and he tends to play it safe normally.

As Steel mentioned, it turns out that a mass shooting in your beloved hometown might change you. And Beto has already gone on record that this was what did it.

Many Americans are angry, frightened, and frustrated these days. Yet the Democratic presidential campaign remains largely a procession of speeches and photo ops. Tonight, in O'Rourke's home state of Texas, 10 candidates will appear on the debate stage and again smack one another with heavily rehearsed answers, as if there's much relevant or revelatory to be found in this performance art.

Much of O'Rourke's presidential campaign can seem like a rolling existential crisis, playing itself out via livestreams and the journal entries he posts on Medium. Now, O'Rourke says, he's actually had an existential crisis—and he thinks the rest of the country should be having one too. For O'Rourke and his aides, his campaign can be divided into two phases: before the August 3 mass shooting that targeted Latino immigrants in his hometown of El Paso, and after. In the days that followed the violence, he told me in a recent interview, he was in such a dark place that he wondered how to go on, and even whether he should.
O'Rourke says the shooting has given him a new kind of mission. But his challenge now is jamming his epiphany into the presidential race: explaining how El Paso changed him and why voters should care enough about that change to give him a second look, while sticking to his promise to campaign in forgotten parts of the country without insulting the picky and provincial residents in early-voting states. In the process, he needs to move the polls that have had him solidly in the low single digits since his initial post-campaign-launch burst in March. In a national CNN poll released yesterday, he crept up to 5 percent, but he's still far behind the leading candidates in the race.

"At a really deep, fundamental level, [the shooting] made me wonder what I'm doing, and what I'd ever been doing, or what we were doing," O'Rourke told me last week as we rode the Bolt Bus from New York to Boston, in an interview that can be heard in full on the Radio Atlantic podcast. "And this is probably not making sense, but—how could this happen? How could I have allowed this to happen, as a part of this country, as someone who held public office, as an El Pasoan?"

But sure, maybe nefarious reasons might be afoot. Certainly still a potentiality, but not one that I think anyone should waste time on.

OP
OP
BoboBrazil

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where did you read that? I know the Austin American Statesman posted the UT Tyler poll on mandatory buyback support here as 49%. Most people are for mag restrictions here though.
I believe 49% is a majority in that poll since there was a split between undecided and no's. I might be wrong though. Still as he keeps talking about it and brings it into the spotlight, support for it will only increase.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
Schumer is a convenient target, but he probably has a better record on guns than anyone in Congress, including all the people running for President.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
semi-off topic but bill simmons put up an interview with beto. haven't watched it yet though so I don't know how thread-worthy it'd be