• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Sterling is great. His videos skirt the line between trolling and genuine concern but he usually covers legitimate issues that erupt into drama because it exposes the ridiculousness of some people.

"Great" is reach.

Even when covering legitimate issues he hams it up hard and makes it be drama and outrage. I get it that it's his persona for the videos, being loud and outraged about everything. Still find myself wishing he would have more level headed discussions about these topics.

Also cover positive things once in a millenia, even if it drives less clicks to his channel.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so people like YongYea and Jim Sterling doesn't have legitimate complaints in their videos such as YongYea and Jim Sterling both released a video on Denuvo Anti-Cheat being ring-0 due to causing too much drama within the gaming community?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine literally watching or caring about dramatube.

Like there's no way you could look at that tweet and think it warrants 15 minutes of good faith discussion.

Last edited:

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Hines is known to do this stuff, it's nothing new
I don't actually see this tweet as being horrible but yeah, he's known to get pretty fucking mad, this seems like a joke though
This dramatuber is probably playing up Hine's reputation

Ozzie666

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I Thought I was the only one who felt this way about YY. Thank god.

I don't mind him, but its usually negative and jumping on the next drama. I'll give Jim more credit, he's highly entertaining and funny. Even Jim keeps beating dead horses, but can also come across in a humble way.

Every time Fall out 76 or Bethesda do something to cause drama, I know YY will have a video soon. Jim is now just taking the piss, making fun of himself, his viewers, gamers, you tubers etc.

Either way, I appreciate both their time and effort for the work they do, watched more of them during the pandemic.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Isn't it pretty self-explanatory? Fans run with the smallest thing and it must be very frustrating as someone just trying to do their job

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Fans are impossible, he's totally right. It may be "unprofessional" to react like that, but generally speaking: fuck the fans.

Jun 20, 2018
It's kind of true. People don't seem to have any idea how long it takes to make these huge games. On top of that, development studios probably don't want to finish up a game then immediately start on the same thing over again. I kind of hate the entitlement gamers have over sequels. Half-Life 3 being the biggest example. People having a go at a studio for a decade a half for not making a game they had no interest in making.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so people like YongYea and Jim Sterling doesn't have legitimate complaints in their videos such as YongYea and Jim Sterling both released a video on Denuvo Anti-Cheat being ring-0 due to causing too much drama within the gaming community?

if you run a drama channel you work with what you've got. sometimes it's legit stuff like a company using denuvo, other times its ginned up outrage about a developer having a human response to whining on twitter.

yawn.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How did he manage to drag this shit out for 15 minutes?

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of true. People don't seem to have any idea how long it takes to make these huge games. On top of that, development studios probably don't want to finish up a game then immediately start on the same thing over again. I kind of hate the entitlement gamers have over sequels. Half-Life 3 being the biggest example. People having a go at a studio for a decade a half for not making a game they had no interest in making.
To be fair, both Bethesda and Valve could have been way clearer in their communication about sequel expectations.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
For a guy who aspires to be a professional voice actor, who made a video showing off his skills and that he's surprisingly decent at it, he does have a seriously boring and monotonous voice.
YongYea managed to be a low point in the one game I know he's provided a voice for, and that game already had a mostly 'aspiring' cast of voice actors (Including Jim Sterling, interestingly enough).
Downfall, by Harvester games by the way, in case anyone is interested.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I apologize for making this thread, I didn't know that YongYea and Jim Sterling are not good people to watch on YouTube for gaming.

Aug 9, 2018
Isn't it pretty self-explanatory? Fans run with the smallest thing and it must be very frustrating as someone just trying to do their job
Fans are impossible, he's totally right. It may be "unprofessional" to react like that, but generally speaking: fuck the fans.
Generally I would agree but in this case I don't think the fan deserved a reply like that for what was clearly a lighthearted comment/joke.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Why do people not watch positive content on YouTube channels?

For one thing, because there's so much "sponsored content" out there that the positive stuff ends up sort of melding into it.

That said, people do watch positive content--see SuperEyePatchWolf as an example of a well-to-do, largely positive youtuber--but it generally has to be removed from the hype cycle. That is to say, retrospectives or deep dives, rather than the sort of cursory "yep folks, FF7R is good" stuff you get around release.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
You waited for ES6 the day ES5 came out?

I'm not that bothered by ES6 or when it releases, but I can't understand why fans are being called 'impossible' for expecting footage 9 years after ESV, and 2 years after the formal announcement of ES6.

Like, would anyone have predicted in 2011 that we wouldn't see the new one until at least 2022? I don't think so.

Just looks like a classic case of botched comms.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
YongYea fucking sucks, this is baseless, needless drama and this thread only fuels it.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, stop watching drama tube, OP. It literally adds nothing to the discussion.
If you want to debate the tweet (and there really isn't anything to discuss, maybe the overzealous attitude of some "fans") link it directly and put forward your thoughts on it.

Those videos all try to wind up controversies because they earn them clicks, and thus, money.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, stop watching drama tube, OP. It literally adds nothing to the discussion.
If you want to debate the tweet (and there really isn't anything to discuss, maybe the overzealous attitude of some "fans") link it directly and put forward your thoughts on it.

Those videos all try to wind up controversies because they earn them clicks, and thus, money.

Ok, I've already apologized for making this thread.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I like Yong but yeah sometimes it feels like he makes a mountain of mole hills for his own ends. I agree with, but about 50% of his vids could be distilled into a single tweet.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
YongYea's entire shtick is catering the Gamer Rage for views and money. He shows obvious favouritism towards certain companies and franchises, which align with the companies that he'll likely catch his own hate for if he questioned them and, like this video, will use any opportunity to add fuel to his Gamers Rise up bonfire.

Even his thumbnails are purposely inciteful, and spin the story to fit his agenda.

Him and his viewers can live in their bubble, but I would never consider his videos to be "respectable industry news" of any type. It's the Youtube equivalent of a tabloid newspaper, but without the Page 3 Girl.

This tweet deserved a quote tweet, not a 15 minute video micro-analysing everything Bethesda has ever said about Star Field and Elder Scrolls 6.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
As I've said, I apologize for making this thread, I didn't know that YongYea and Jim Sterling are not good people to watch on YouTube for gaming.

Hey man, you can and should watch whatever you want (and I honestly don't think YongYea is even close to being on the same level as Jim Sterling, who actually does have worthwhile insight at times), I just don't really see how his regurgitation of the big Reddit Outrage of the Day adds anything to any discussion ever.

It's a big circlejerk. Reddit gets mad about something, Drama Youtubers feed off of the outrage by simply quoting exactly what Reddit is already mad about without any new insights or worthwile perspectives, Reddit gets excited that a big Youtuber is on their side, rinse and repeat.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Valve deserved the frustration for that, even though I think it's overstated (HL3 became more of a meme than real outrage at some point). They told a story that was unresolved, and then "lost interest" in finishing it for over a decade. I think fans of the series had a right to be annoyed by that.

Also, I apologize for making this thread, I didn't know that YongYea and Jim Sterling are not good people to watch on YouTube for gaming.

You don't need to apologize for liking what you like, and considering some of the vapid threads that get created here, a video about something that actually happened with Pete Hines is fine. In fact, I think there's even been a thread about this exchange already.

I don't particularly like YongYea, but at worst he's a pretty harmless muckraker who just makes videos about whatever the day's big gaming industry drama was. Channels like "Inside Gaming" largely do the same thing.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I'm forever impressed by how these subreddits think it's fine to attack developers, send death threats, complain about everything but as soon as a developer says something quasi-negative about them suddenly it's capital D Drama and they should be publicly shamed for their 8 word tweet.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I do think there's a conversation to be had about reasonable tone for professional Twitter interactions, but it probably doesn't include YongYea, admittedly.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not that bothered by ES6 or when it releases, but I can't understand why fans are being called 'impossible' for expecting footage 9 years after ESV, and 2 years after the formal announcement of ES6.

They were very clear indeed what they were doing when they revealed Starfield and TESVI- they were showing a roadmap for what the studio had for the foreseeable, both projects were years away, and TES was in the pipeline after Starfield.

Expecting footage any time soon when the studio's got a new IP coming out first which they also haven't revealed yet IS an impossible expectation.

Like, would anyone have predicted in 2011 that we wouldn't see the new one until at least 2022? I don't think so.

I'd generally expect a gap of three or four years between each of their games being revealed. If you told me that they were doing a new Fallout and a new IP after Skyrim, I'd have been surprised to see the next Elder Scrolls even by that point.

Just looks like a classic case of botched comms.
I don't necessarily disagree. They wanted to get away from people asking where the next Elder Scrolls is, but all they've really done is trade it in for people asking to see the next Elder Scrolls.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Where is all these "Fuck he sucks as content creator" posts when we get latest Sterling thread about latest drama and outrage he is drumming up by making issues seem life or death?

Sterling may cover less things like Hines yet again being bad at PR, but he isn't above that either.

I guess my point is that like Yea he also strives on making drama blow up yet he is large part adored here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Valve deserved the frustration for that, even though I think it's overstated (HL3 became more of a meme than real outrage at some point). They told a story that was unresolved, and then "lost interest" in finishing it for over a decade. I think fans of the series had a right to be annoyed by that.

You don't need to apologize for liking what you like, and considering some of the vapid threads that get created here, a video about something that actually happened with Pete Hines is fine. In fact, I think there's even been a thread about this exchange already.

I don't particularly like YongYea, but at worst he's a pretty harmless muckraker who just makes videos about whatever the day's big gaming industry drama was. Channels like "Inside Gaming" largely do the same thing.
He's not that harmless, he encourages the worst in gamers, and it's pretty obvious if you look at what he targets and what he doesn't. Despite making multiple videos if CDPR sneezes about Cyberpunk, he did not make a single video about the transphobic tweeting their Twitter was doing, he was however able to do 5 videos about Jessica Price at Area net controversy which led to her and her co worker getting fired. It's obvious the audience he's catering to and it's not harmless

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Sounds like bad management then tbh, 10+ years between games in your premier series? No wonder the fans are getting tetchy. Imagine if Nintendo did that with Mario, Zelda or Pokemon, Miyamoto would be getting chased down the street.
They ported it to every console under the sun and made bank on it, management doesn't care about a new game if they can milk the previous one like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.