• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
lol, imagine going to Bethesda after they fucked you over big time. I can't even imagine the pride one has to swallow when going back to the man, hat in hand.

Btw, how is Rune II? The videos I saw a while back looked absolutely terrible.
As far as I can tell, there are no reviews of it. I wonder if they sent out review copies?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
What a shitty opinion. Immersive aims are a dime a dozen these days and Prey is one of the best. One of the most original and creative games out there, if you think it's dull you didnt play it

Prey was seriously a rehash of Bioshock/systemshock set in a bland space setting with uninspired enemies. Prey 2 was literally you being a US marshall who got abducted while on a airliner by an alien race/empire and was stuck on a space colony he had no clue about. So he makes himself useful and becomes a bounty hunter. Game was a first person open world on a alien colony where you could kill or capture your bounties or have them pay you off and get more info on bigger bounties that lead to story beats.

It had a unique traversal/shooting mechanics.

Game was way more interesting than Prey 2017, which was literally took a lot of bioshock elements more than it borrowed Dishonored.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Yeah count me in as someone who considers Prey 2 one of the greatest lost projects in gaming. It was stunning.
It was being promoted roughly the same time Fallout 4 was going out of pre-production and into full production, and when Todd's team decided their next game to go into pre-production would be the open world sci-fi game Starfield. Suddenly the open world sci-fi game Prey 2 is a problem... but great news for Todd that Prey 2's concept went over so well lol

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
"While sorry to hear of their challenges as Human Head Studios"

Oh, fuck off, Bethesda. The fucking gall of them with that statement.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Stab with one hand, comfort with the other.

Prey was seriously a rehash of Bioshock/systemshock set in a bland space setting with uninspired enemies. Prey 2 was literally you being a US marshall who got abducted while on a airliner by an alien race/empire and was stuck on a space colony he had no clue about. So he makes himself useful and becomes a bounty hunter. Game was a first person open world on a alien colony where you could kill or capture your bounties or have them pay you off and get more info on bigger bounties that lead to story beats.

It had a unique traversal/shooting mechanics.

Game was way more interesting than Prey 2017, which was literally took a lot of bioshock elements more than it borrowed Dishonored.
I'll give you that the enemy designs didn't hold interest long but "bland" space setting? The futuristic 60/70's design of the setting was goddamn gorgeous.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda and Zenimax are the ones responsible for putting Human Head in dire straits in the first place, and for the exact purpose of acquiring the studio, so this kind of sucks. And Bethesda of course gets to paint itself as the hero swooping in.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Bethesda and Zenimax are the ones responsible for putting Human Head in dire straits in the first place, and for the exact purpose of acquiring the studio, so this kind of sucks. And Bethesda of course gets to paint itself as the hero swooping in.
I mean what do people expect from a company with ties to the Trump clan. Bethesda/Zenimax are not that high profile (compared to lets say Ubisoft or EA) but have a far sketchier and more controversial history (failed hostile takeover of HH, hostile takeover of Arkane, that whole Occulus disaster).

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm all fuck "fuck bethesda" talk, but is this actually all their fault, or is Bethesda actually tossing them a lifeline?

Like, okay, they got fucked over in the Prey 2 days, but then they made some deals, at some point got pulled into Amazon's (failed) game studios stuff -- I think they did deliver a game there -- then they built the awful Quiet Man, and now they are finishing it all off with the reportedly dismal Rune 2. It *kind of* sounds like they have lost a focus on quality over the years, since the original Prey with 3DRealms, and have been churning out soulless pieces of shit since, and their company may have been fucked over many times since by that and others moving forward. It may have been the case that Bethesda had a dirty plan to acquire them, but HH's lack of success since seems outside of Bethesda's influence and should squarely land with others and HH itself. Insofar as HH is dead or dying, getting a new studio with everyone else sounds like a lifeline at this point, even if the sequence of events leading up to this point started with an awful squeezing approach from Bethesda. There's been a *lot* of time inbetween all of this where HH maybe could have gotten out from under.

Also some of the pricing on Rune 2 makes it look kinda "live servicy", which would be a dick move if they aren't planning on supporting it?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For those that don't remember: https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/what-went-wrong-with-human-heads-prey-2

Bethesda, pleased with the team's work, promised Human Head a development extension of six months to one year, a source said – all the time it needed to populate the mostly complete game world with missions, polish what rough edges remained, and ship Prey 2 in 2012 as planned. "That's when Bethesda decided to play hardball and buy the studio," said one source familiar with the situation.

In the following months, a source claimed, "Bethesda denied further funding of the project, and started failing milestones," asking for changes and fixes without following through on its previous promise to give the team more time.

t this point, Bethesda "thought they could bully [Human Head] into a corner," a source said, and the publisher made a move to buy Human Head. "It was one of few studios that could work with and improve id Technology. They wanted to buy us at a sweet price," but the developer denied the buyout.

Human Head didn't want to permanently marry itself to a publisher that was "bleeding Human Head dry."

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
If they revive what work they did for Prey 2, I hope they use it for a new IP.

I adored the Arkane Prey and would love Arkane to make a Prey 2, not HH.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Well, since they were the ones that designed a lot of what Bioshock Infinite became visually, and seeing what Bethesda has done for the past few years, they'll be a great asset and should have a LOT of work coming their way.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017

EJR0mkKX0AMKM5m

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Here's an unpublished Eurogamer feature from back in 2017 (it was going to be the follow-up to this article) that details how Prey 2 was cancelled and the fallout that occurred from that. The participants involved were concerned over potential reprisals and opted against releasing it at the time.

Cool that the 2019 iteration of H.H. get to keep their jobs, but so unfortunate that those in 2011/2012 went without pay, lost their work, and their positions
Going on that article alone, it seems studio leadership deserve some of the blame alongside Bethesda. Milestones and deliverables need to be really clearly defined. Also, stopping production of a game in progress without a new title agreement seems ill-advised.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Really mixed feelings here. Good that they get to keep working, bad that Bethesda pulled that Prey 2 shit and got what they wanted in the end. Depressing. But also exciting that they might get to ressurect the Prey 2 concept? Urgh.

Also, please stop arguing about Prey 2017 vs Prey 2. It's just a name. 2017 should have been called something different so everyone could get along.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Could be very promising, I would have said very promising if we still had the Zenimax and Bethesda that published games like Dishonored 1 and 2, Prey, Evil Within 1 and 2, Doom and so on. When they didn't constantly (exeggeration I know, but close) fuck it up. We'll see I guess.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in seeing what happens with Rune 2. Will they really continue work on it or was it just shoved out the door to die?

Also is it really okay to release it in it's current state to unsuspecting customers? There's no review system in place. As of last night there weren't even reviews. I feel like this is just wrong.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I mean, I'm all fuck "fuck bethesda" talk, but is this actually all their fault, or is Bethesda actually tossing them a lifeline?

Like, okay, they got fucked over in the Prey 2 days, but then they made some deals, at some point got pulled into Amazon's (failed) game studios stuff -- I think they did deliver a game there -- then they built the awful Quiet Man, and now they are finishing it all off with the reportedly dismal Rune 2. It *kind of* sounds like they have lost a focus on quality over the years, since the original Prey with 3DRealms, and have been churning out soulless pieces of shit since, and their company may have been fucked over many times since by that and others moving forward. It may have been the case that Bethesda had a dirty plan to acquire them, but HH's lack of success since seems outside of Bethesda's influence and should squarely land with others and HH itself. Insofar as HH is dead or dying, getting a new studio with everyone else sounds like a lifeline at this point, even if the sequence of events leading up to this point started with an awful squeezing approach from Bethesda. There's been a *lot* of time inbetween all of this where HH maybe could have gotten out from under.

Also some of the pricing on Rune 2 makes it look kinda "live servicy", which would be a dick move if they aren't planning on supporting it?
At first I couldn't get my head around why they sold out to Bethesda in the end, because it seems like there should have been other options. But, looking at their output over the past few years it seems like they have been burning bridges with many other companies that could have saved them. The Quiet Man (Square Enix) bombed, Survived By (Digital Extremes) was cancelled, Rune II (Epic) seems pretty mediocre. Almost every game they have worked on was with a different publisher (though maybe they just like working with many different clients?)...

So, next up the chopping block, Nerve Software?

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
This is the worst possible outcome for them. Bethesda had their way with them and people are already saying good guy bethesda, jesus christ

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, they fucked them out of their biggest profile game ever, Prey 2, because they couldn't buy out the studio. Then let them sink, and hired the staff.

Yup, disgusting. Hope things work out for the individuals from HH, but fuck ZeniMax and fuck Bethesda. Who knows how many successful hostile takeovers they've done

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's a headline I never expected to read after what Bethesda did to them over Prey 2. Looks like they won in the end.
It was more interesting than the Dull PREY we got last year or so.
Arkane's Prey was the best game of 2017.
People need to get over the fact that it was called Prey, even though it was completely unrelated to the original Prey (2006).
The most notable thing about Prey 2006 was that it actually got released after being in development for more than a decade, and ended up not being terrible.
I doubt most people buying Prey 2017 would have remembered or even known about the original if it wasn't for people crying over it not being the "real" Prey 2 any time it was mentioned.

I'd rather HH resume prey 2, and Arkane to stop using the prey name. But that's just me.
I wonder how many of the team behind Prey 2 are left with them, considering how bad their output has been since then.
I'm all for development of the game to be restarted if the concept can be done justice; it looked amazing. But then, it's easy to build up the idea of a game into something it never was when you only have leaked footage and small bits of information to piece together in your head.

But you would've got that anyway except under a different name, so it would've probably performed better and had less ill will surrounding the project leading up to launch. It created a lot of confusion.
I don't think anyone was confused, but there was an extremely vocal minority that got unreasonably upset over the re-use of the name. Many of them still haven't let things go.