• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I've not read everything, but if the Bethesda studios were joining Xbox Game Studios, it would have said that in the press release, and it didn't. Certainly owned by Microsoft, but so far, the evidence points to Bethesda operating an publishing arm alongside Xbox. Which would imply multiplatform releases going forward, albeit everything on Game Pass Day One.

Very curious to hear how it plays out as we get new information.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Agreed on TES6. That's definitely exclusive, and exactly the kind of big name they want for Game Pass.

I think Starfield could go either way though. It's a long way into development, and it's a new IP. There could be value in getting PlayStation gamers hooked on that franchise so a sequel is even more exciting.
At the very minimum, Starfield will be a timed console exclusive but I genuinely think it will be an outright exclusive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Starfield and TES 6's exclusivity would depend on whether BGS already has contracts place with Sony, right?
Ya. Bethesda being bought out by Microsoft will be finalized in mid 2021. Starfield is a 2022 game confirmed by Pete Hines, really doubt they have a contract in place for a game that far out. Who knows tho :D

Last edited:

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
That's a big assumption that all consumers that currently play on Playstation would buy a new console solely for ES or Fallout. Even more that you will tie them to Gold and Game Pass subscriptions. To pay back the 7 billion investment, they could certainly keep main (and profitable) franchises cross platform, but enforce all new IPs to be exclusive.
Certainly not Fallout, considering the state of the franchise, but ES is a very important franchise to some people.

The problem with very large publishers that are organized as multi-platform is that it would probably need some major restructuring to keep it profitable after dropping half the revenue on the spot. Among those 2300 employees there's now a lot of redundancy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Starfield and TES 6's exclusivity would depend on whether BGS already has contracts in place with Sony, right? Otherwise, they have no obligation to go multiplatform.

Correct, anything they have a deal already signed on they'd probably have to honor, but if no contract is signed there's nothing they need to do.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I think some people are in some real denial about the nature of this deal. The games that have been shown on PS5 (and are obviously timed exclusives) are still gonna be published on the platform. But maybe with the exception of an odd game or two (mostly games like Fallout Shelter), future games will almost certainly not be coming to PlayStation. Microsoft would not pay $7.5 billion just for day one Game Pass deals and the profits they would get from PlayStation releases. This is meant to be a supplement to their other first-party studios.

Games like Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6, where we haven't even seen gameplay? Yeah, I'm confident that they'll be Xbox/PC exclusives. Same with pretty much every future major title that has yet to be announced. All you need to do is look at from the other side. If Sony paid 7.5 bil for Bethesda, would you still expect them to publish future titles on Xbox outside of those already deep in development/near release? Of course not.

Sure, they'd possibly make more money short-term from continuing to release future games on PlayStation. But so could PlayStation by releasing games on the Xbox platform, and obviously they would have no interest in that. The point of the deal is exclusivity to convince you to buy into the Xbox platform, be that a system or even just Game Pass Ultimate to stream the games on your phone or tablet. PlayStation releases does not benefit them in that regard. Short-term profits, sure, but it doesn't help their goal of long-term Game Pass viability.
Yep. People don't want to entertain the idea that once prior commitments are fulfilled, Bethesda will not be on PS5.

But that's not a problem for Era, I mean everyone here has a super powerful PC, isn't that why all of you were asking why you would buy an Xbox? I thought everyone here had exploited Phil's loophole?

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I mean, plans change, too. Microsoft could have full intentions now of keeping Bethesda multi plat... but then in a couple years when TES6 gets closer to release I bet it starts to get real tempting if they're significantly trailing in console sales. Internal pressure alone could play a part. If the division working on hardware is underperforming they'll be looking for some help. And if Game Pass isn't hitting the adoption numbers they want the same thing could come into play: find a way to get PS-only customers onto another platform.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. People don't want to entertain the idea that once prior commitments are fulfilled, Bethesda will not be on PS5.

But that's not a problem for Era, I mean everyone here has a super powerful PC, isn't that why all of you were asking why you would buy an Xbox? I thought everyone here had exploited Phil's loophole?
I laughed

Was thinking the same thing earlier.

EDIT to add: Also IMO it's pretty telling that when they have let games on other platforms (e.g. Ori), it's not a PS product.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Making them exclusive, selling millions more consoles and thus more Xbox Live Gold subs, more Game Pass subs and more people to take a 30% cut from when it comes to 3rd party sales is potentially even a bigger win for them. I'll be shocked if anything which isn't announced already still comes to PS5.

All of this would depend on how much hardware these IP can move and if worth locking out the other user bases .
By the time these games come out it will be PS5 and Switch or even Switch 2 ( what ever it's call )
That is a huge amount of people to lock out.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

The assumption that everyone has a capable gaming PC has always bugged me. That or how everyone must be flexible enough to switch ecosystems at the drop of a hat. I don't want to stream games, I don't want to buy a different console out of the ecosystem I'm in, and I don't have the money for a gaming PC.

This deal 100% sucks for people like me.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
This is pretty nuts but might be the best thing for their IPs. Guess I will have to buy an Xbox each generation for their games in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
I've not read everything, but if the Bethesda studios were joining Xbox Game Studios, it would have said that in the press release, and it didn't. Certainly owned by Microsoft, but so far, the evidence points to Bethesda operating an publishing arm alongside Xbox. Which would imply multiplatform releases going forward, albeit everything on Game Pass Day One.

Very curious to hear how it plays out as we get new information.
How does that work being in XGP or not? Is Mojang part of XGP?

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Certainly not Fallout, considering the state of the franchise, but ES is a very important franchise to some people.

The problem with very large publishers that are organized as multi-platform is that it would probably need some major restructuring to keep it profitable after dropping half the revenue on the spot. Among those 2300 employees there's now a lot of redundancy.

Would not be surprised if some smaller bethesda studios close.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This year really really fucking sucks, this news pretty much means two major games I'm looki forward to Starfield and the next Elder Scrolls I can no longer play unless I buy a series S.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, plans change, too. Microsoft could have full intentions now of keeping Bethesda multi plat... but then in a couple years when TES6 gets closer to release I bet it starts to get real tempting if they're significantly trailing in console sales. Internal pressure alone could play a part. If the division working on hardware is underperforming they'll be looking for some help. And if Game Pass isn't hitting the adoption numbers they want the same thing could come into play: find a way to get PS-only customers onto another platform.

Please stop doing this to yourselves - they bought the company - they are now all exclusives other than the few games at or near release

Minecraft is a special case based on its identity in the industry

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Gamepass money is more important to them than PlayStation money. If Sony let gamepass on PS I bet most of these would still come (maybe as gamepass only on ps). Microsoft wants to push customers towards gamepass - which for now means PC, Xbox and Android xcloud.

bigJayy

Dec 30, 2019
I think Starfield and Elder Scrolls will probably still release on ps5 these games sell
Making them exclusive, selling millions more consoles more consoles and thus more Xbox Live Gold subs, more Game Pass subs and more people to take a 30% cut from when it comes to 3rd party sales is potentially even a bigger win for them. I'll be shocked if anything which isn't announced already still comes to PS5.
millions more? because of games that you can play on pc and probably stream everywhere?
they would 1000% make more money if they release Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Starfield on ps4/ps5

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I think some people are in some real denial about the nature of this deal. The games that have been shown on PS5 (and are obviously timed exclusives) are still gonna be published on the platform. But maybe with the exception of an odd game or two (mostly games like Fallout Shelter), future games will almost certainly not be coming to PlayStation. Microsoft would not pay $7.5 billion just for day one Game Pass deals and the profits they would get from PlayStation releases. This is meant to be a supplement to their other first-party studios.

Games like Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6, where we haven't even seen gameplay? Yeah, I'm confident that they'll be Xbox/PC exclusives. Same with pretty much every future major title that has yet to be announced. All you need to do is look at from the other side. If Sony paid 7.5 bil for Bethesda, would you still expect them to publish future titles on Xbox outside of those already deep in development/near release? Of course not.

Sure, they'd possibly make more money short-term from continuing to release future games on PlayStation. But so could PlayStation by releasing games on the Xbox platform, and obviously they would have no interest in that. The point of the deal is exclusivity to convince you to buy into the Xbox platform, be that a system or even just Game Pass Ultimate to stream the games on your phone or tablet. PlayStation releases does not benefit them in that regard. Short-term profits, sure, but it doesn't help their goal of long-term Game Pass viability.

I agree, with one wrinkle.

Microsoft want Game Pass subs. I'm sure if Sony would allow Game Pass on the PS5 Microsoft would be extremely happy to allow all of their properties to go with it.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I think it'd be a waste of money, but I really do hope that their games remain available for Playstation owners. As an Xbox gamer, the prospect of being able to play it Day 1 on Game Pass is enough of a perk.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
This year really really fucking sucks, this news pretty much means two major games I'm looki forward to Starfield and the next Elder Scrolls I can no longer play unless I buy a series S.

I think there's a decent chance those games will come to PS5 as well (especially Starfield), but even if it isn't these games will be playable on PC, and also on other devices using Xbox's cloud streaming. You won't need to buy a Xbox console.

This is not a "defense" of anything, by the way, just acknowledging that it's not gonna be "you have to buy a Xbox console to play these games now".

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
User Warned (Three Day Thread Ban): Antagonizing another user
Jesus, drama queen much.

Literally no where in any of this news does it say anything like that.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Releasing them on PS5 would still be a major win for them. Get that full $69.99 from PS players. Get that Game Pass sub from non-PS players.

It's literally a win/win
and now they can sell a shit ton on only Microsoft platforms.
We don't know the reasoning behind this acquisition. I have no doubt that still releasing games on other platforms (and launching them on GP day 1) would be a major revenue driver. But if it was first and foremost a strategic acquisition, made to revive the XBOX brand outside the US, then yes, the new games will surely be exclusive on GamePass.

Yea I mean any option is a good one for them. I am just saying, releasing on Sony platforms is still a viable move for them.

You could get them on PC. Bethesda games best on PC anyway.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty easy to make fun of console players who spammed EGS threads with "Buying exclusivity is good! IT'S COMPETITION!" ... but forced exclusivity is never a good thing and neither is it some form of competition. I really hope that MS does the right thing and still publishes future Bethesda games on Playstation as well even tho its probably kinda unlikely at this point. Maybe we'll end with something like GamePass on Playstation that costs more on PS than on Xbox or something.

Precisely. I'm a PC player but this sort of consolidation generally doesn't bring many benefits to consumers, it usually only limits choice. I hope Microsoft makes the pro-consumer decision to continue publishing across all platforms, not just their own.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
I really can't see Microsoft spending 7.5 billion to just get bethesda games on game pass. They could have done that with much smaller deal.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Seems like people hoping Bethesda publishing is going to remain multiplatform are setting themselves up for disappointment. I don't think you spend 7.5 billion on something and not take advantage of every possible avenue for an advantage on selling your system and service.

People will buy a console for TES. The wider catalogue of Bethesda games on Game Pass is a huge value add as far as exclusives (Even if they aren't going to be big sellers themselves). These games aren't going to be on PS for the long term.

Really curious to know what this will look like for PC as well (What storefronts you'll be seeing these games on going forward).

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Hey can we not? This wasn't a fun morning for a lot of folks that don't game in MS ecosystems and have been burned by their business decisions in the past.
How about can we not freak out over the news and act like the world is ending before knowing literally any information indicating that you'd have to switch platforms?

Or is that too much to ask

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems like people hoping Bethesda publishing is going to remain multiplatform are setting themselves up for disappointment. I don't think you spend 7.5 billion on something and not take advantage of every possible avenue for an advantage on selling your system and service.

People will buy a console for TES. The wider catalogue of Bethesda games on Game Pass is a huge value add as far as exclusives (Even if they aren't going to be big sellers themselves). These games aren't going to be on PS for the long term.

Really curious to know what this will look like for PC as well (What storefronts you'll be seeing these games on going forward).
I could see the big IPs that have been on everything, Elder Scrolls and Doom, continue to do so. The rest and new IPs I could see being Xbox exclusive, except Starfield.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, with one wrinkle.

Microsoft want Game Pass subs. I'm sure if Sony would allow Game Pass on the PS5 Microsoft would be extremely happy to allow all of their properties to go with it.
I'm not sure Microsoft would want Game Pass on PlayStation, tbh. It does undermine their hardware branch in a significant way since PlayStation is such a direct competitor. But I could be wrong, and honestly wouldn't be surprised if they would put Game Pass on PlayStation if Sony allowed it.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Please stop doing this to yourselves - they bought the company - they are now all exclusives other than the few games at or near release

Minecraft is a special case based on its identity in the industry

Doing what? This "everything in the future will be an exclusive, there is NO other possibility" is the emotional take here. I could care less where these games come out since I plan to eventually get both. But it's certainly *possible* that Microsoft's current plan is to keep things multi-platform. There's a decent business argument for it. My post was in fact arguing that even if that is the case now, it might not stay the plan forever and it's also *possible* they go exclusive in the future.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't buy this at all. They wouldn't spend that type of money on purchasing a major publisher to drive Game Pass sales but then have those same games available for purchase on the PS5 day and date. That isn't driving Game Pass. Their games are gonna be console exclusive and PC only once those existing contracts are up.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS didn't spend 7.5b for Bethesda to continue publishing games on PlayStation. Existing contracts will be honored but beyond that.... don't deluded yourself into think Bethesda games will continue to come to PlayStation

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I really can't see Microsoft spending 7.5 billion to just get bethesda games on game pass. They could have done that with much smaller deal.

Course not, anyone saying otherwise is nuts. There's going to be many exclusive pulls and strategic moves going along. They spent all this money, they will take advantage of it.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I could see the big IPs that have been on everything, Elder Scrolls and Doom, continue to do so. The rest and new IPs I could see being Xbox exclusive, except Starfield.

I just don't see a good reason for them to do that. Especially a game like TES, no doubt the biggest IP they picked up, is a console mover. "If you want to play Doom, TES, and Starfield; get an Xbox and/or a Game Pass subscription" is a very compelling argument. Making only one of those things exclusive takes much of the oomph out of that.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone that follows Bethesda/Zenimax closely let us know just how bad this could be (if Microsoft chooses to do it) for PS owners?

I'm genuinely curious. For example, of the scenarios below, which can they do and for which specific games? I ask because if their goal is Gamepass subs, I can see them trying any/all of these approaches.

- Delist or remove published games from PS Store? I'd assume yes unless specific deals are in place? Which games are at risk? Which are safe?

- No longer publish games on PS that were announced as coming to it? We know some games have PS exclusive deals... which games are those? which games aren't and are now at risk of not coming to PS?

- No longer publish announced games that haven't had platforms announced? Of course they can do this, but perhaps some franchises have deals in place?

Edit: and one more--

- Timed exclusives. E.g. 'Gamepass day 1, PS for $70 in x months'

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MS didn't spend 7.5b for Bethesda to continue publishing games on PlayStation. Existing contracts will be honored but beyond that.... don't deluded yourself into think Bethesda games will continue to come to PlayStation
I mean, sure, it's possible.
Otoh people said the same thing whem they spent $4b for Minecraft, and

cogconnected.com

Minecraft Is Coming to PSVR Soon | COGconnected

Mojang has officially confirmed that the long-anticipated PSVR update for Minecraft on PS4 will be released later this month.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just don't see a good reason for them to do that. Especially a game like TES, no doubt the biggest IP they picked up, is a console mover. "If you want to play Doom, TES, and Starfield; get an Xbox and/or a Game Pass subscription" is a very compelling argument. Making only one of those things exclusive takes much of the oomph out of that.
Possibly yes.
Depends on the numbers it might be better financial wise to let the by boys stay multiplat.
We will have to wait and see.