• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Making them exclusive, selling millions more consoles and thus more Xbox Live Gold subs, more Game Pass subs and more people to take a 30% cut from when it comes to 3rd party sales is potentially even a bigger win for them. I'll be shocked if anything which isn't announced already still comes to PS5.
Yeah I genuinely have no idea why people are arguing anything other than this.

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
I honestly can't remember the last Betheseda game I enjoyed, maybe 2016 Doom? Although I am looking forward to Ghostwire.

In general, the consolidation of publishers and platform holders is a little worrisome since making games becomes more about selling the relevant platform. As part of a general ecosystem of games, that's fine. When those platform holders start gobbling up larger companies, I can't see how this is good long term for gamers. It means less diversity in gaming.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what happens to Bethesda's mobile studios. I mean, if they know immense success I see them continuing, but Microsoft might have interest in looping them back into console and PC development.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
This is cool cause presumably they'll all be on Gamepass. But I feel bad for Sony people. Can they please put the 2009 Wolfenstein game out again though?

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Any existing commitments will be fulfilled, sure. Microsoft was clearly looking for exclusives with this buy, I can't be convinced otherwise by this comment.

New Vegas Remake as an Xbox/PC exclusive would be nice.

I'm happy to see the console wars will never die. It's like your favorite team had a great draft. It's not enough you're excited to play New Vegas 2, but also glad PS5 fans not interested in paying a monthly fee to Microsoft are left in the cold.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I think some people are in some serious denial about the nature of this deal. The games that have been shown on PS5 (and are obviously timed exclusives) are still gonna be published on the platform. But maybe with the exception of an odd game or two (mostly games like Fallout Shelter), future games will almost certainly not be coming to PlayStation. Microsoft would not pay $7.5 billion just for day one Game Pass deals and the profits they would get from PlayStation releases. This is meant to be a supplement to their other first-party studios.

Games like Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6, where we haven't even seen gameplay? Yeah, I'm confident that they'll be Xbox/PC exclusives. Same with pretty much every future major title that has yet to be announced. All you need to do is look at from the other side. If Sony paid 7.5 bil for Bethesda, would you still expect them to publish future titles on Xbox outside of those already deep in development/near release? Of course not.

Sure, they'd possibly make more money short-term from continuing to release future games on PlayStation. But so could PlayStation by releasing games on the Xbox platform, and obviously they have no interest in that. The point of the deal is exclusivity to convince you to buy into the Xbox platform, be that a system or even just Game Pass Ultimate to stream the games on your phone or tablet.
This.

People here seriously acting like multiplatform games that also release on Gampass are just as valuable to the service as exclusive games that only release on platforms where Gamepass can also be found.

MS wants to sell everyone on Gampass. That doesn't happen when you can just pay $70 once on PlayStation and get the only Elder Scrolls game that will release this decade.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unreleased games aren't multiplatform. Still waiting on that hellblade 2 announcement.
Hellblade wasn't a blockbuster on any platform, so locking down the sequel matters less.

This isn't how Microsoft rolls for huge franchises- a new Minecraft game was released on PlayStation earlier this year, six years after Microsoft acquired the franchise.

Matzpxl

Jun 4, 2019
Brasília, Brazil
Why make a Bethesda franchise exclusive to Xbox when you have the possibility to sell their games for 70$ on PS5 and day one on Game Pass?

Win-win situation for MS

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At most, I'm expecting Starfield could still come out on Playstation since it's probably been far enough in development to still justify it, but after that it's all Xbox/PC.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
This.

People here seriously acting like multiplatform games that also release on Gampass are just as valuable to the service as exclusive games that only release on platforms where Gamepass can also be found.

MS wants to sell everyone on Gampass. That doesn't happen when you can just pay $70 once on PlayStation and get the only Elder Scrolls game that will release this decade.
Yeah people need to think about it this way. It's 202X and TES 6 is coming out. It'll be on gamepass, yeah, but for Sony only players, what would you rather they do. Spend the 70 quid on the game for Playstation or buy an Xbox and gamepass subscription. You would obviously want them to tkae the second option.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Yeah, Bethesda isn't joining Xbox Game Studios, they're joining Microsoft. So they're still separate entities even if they'll work together.

Spencer's statement literally says they are joining the Xbox family. Xbox is the umbrella division for all of their gaming stuff, and Mojang are part of it.

I assume this is Bethesda saying that nothing is really changing for most of their currently in-development projects - but if you're Microsoft, you're not spending billions to acquire these studios, simply to get their games on Game Pass, while they keep releasing them everywhere else forever as per usual. There's no business sense in that.

Especially when studios like BGS put out about one game every 4-5 years to begin with.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
This.

Precisely.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This will be like when MS bought Obsidian. The games they're currently working on will come out on whatever platform they're aiming for just like The Outer Worlds came out on PS4. Then it'll be all PC and Xbox.

If you think Starfield and the next Fallout game will be on PS5 then you're going to end up being very disappointed.
I wouldn't presume an announced title like Starfield or TES6 do or don't have existing contracts with Sony. It very well could already.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft is more or less a single evergreen title that spent multiple years cultivating an audience on multiple platofrms prior to Microsoft's acquisition, and has a focus on multiplayer co-operation to boot. To act as if Microsoft's treatment of Minecraft will also be the standard for separate, high-budget, single-player centric Bethesda titles is honestly absurd.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why do they need damage control, Xbox isn't aloud to have good exclusives?

That's not what I said. It's these half-handed "we're going to keep supporting you, honest!" statements they have no intention of actually following through on that I take issue with, not the exclusivity itself.

Just be honest.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Wonder what this will mean for Elder Scrolls. I know it's years away from being ready but I think development must have started for multiple platforms already? Would be pretty crazy to keep a big title like this exclusive.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Read like "everything announced will still release as stated before but after that is Xbox/PC"

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Hellblade wasn't a blockbuster on any platform, so locking down the sequel matters less.

This isn't how Microsoft rolls for huge franchises- a new Minecraft game was released on PlayStation earlier this year, six years after Microsoft acquired the franchise.

That's a sample size of one, so it's hard to say it's "how they roll".

I think Minecraft has stayed multiplat, because a) it already was when they bought it, and b) they know the power of the Minecraft platform is it's ubiquity. Making it Xbox-exclusive would be far more likely to just diminish Minecraft in favour of Roblox or whatever, than to sell Xboxes.

But Fallout? DOOM? Elder Scrolls? Those are triple-A products that will sell hardware and subscriptions.

jpv_13

Oct 30, 2017
It will likely be timed exclusives with the games coming to Playstation 90-180 days after launch on XBox.

That way Microsoft will be able to say "First on Xbox / Gamepass" but will also be able to recoup some of the development costs by selling them for full price on Sony.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
No way Starfield and TESVI aren't console exclusive to Xbox Series S/X

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty easy to make fun of console players who spammed EGS threads with "Buying exclusivity is good! IT'S COMPETITION!" ... but forced exclusivity is never a good thing and neither is it some form of competition. I really hope that MS does the right thing and still publishes future Bethesda games on Playstation as well even tho its probably kinda unlikely at this point. Maybe we'll end with something like GamePass on Playstation that costs more on PS than on Xbox or something.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Minecraft is more or less a single evergreen title that spent multiple years cultivating an audience on multiple platofrms prior to Microsoft's acquisition, and has a focus on multiplayer co-operation to boot. To act as if Microsoft's treatment of Minecraft will also be the standard for separate, high-budget, single-player centric Bethesda titles is honestly absurd.

Exactly. If they just wanted it on GP, like others said, they could just make those deals without an acquisition. If it's about getting revenue from platforms that aren't their own, then again, why wouldn't they just develop for and publish on other platforms?

BUYING a company means they want the revenue AND ultimate control over them.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I think they have have straight up mentioned it if future games were still coming to Playstation, like with Minecraft. I don't see any of that language here. Microsoft can get away with it because Bethesda games sell tons on PC, they can afford to cut off other consoles.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
At most, I'm expecting Starfield could still come out on Playstation since it's probably been far enough in development to still justify it, but after that it's all Xbox/PC.

This is my own expectation as well. And they will also obviously honour whatever existing contracts they have for stuff like Deathloop.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
I think some people are in some real denial about the nature of this deal. The games that have been shown on PS5 (and are obviously timed exclusives) are still gonna be published on the platform. But maybe with the exception of an odd game or two (mostly games like Fallout Shelter), future games will almost certainly not be coming to PlayStation. Microsoft would not pay $7.5 billion just for day one Game Pass deals and the profits they would get from PlayStation releases. This is meant to be a supplement to their other first-party studios.

Games like Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6, where we haven't even seen gameplay? Yeah, I'm confident that they'll be Xbox/PC exclusives. Same with pretty much every future major title that has yet to be announced. All you need to do is look at from the other side. If Sony paid 7.5 bil for Bethesda, would you still expect them to publish future titles on Xbox outside of those already deep in development/near release? Of course not.

Sure, they'd possibly make more money short-term from continuing to release future games on PlayStation. But so could PlayStation by releasing games on the Xbox platform, and obviously they would have no interest in that. The point of the deal is exclusivity to convince you to buy into the Xbox platform, be that a system or even just Game Pass Ultimate to stream the games on your phone or tablet. PlayStation releases does not benefit them in that regard. Short-term profits, sure, but it doesn't help their goal of long-term Game Pass viability.

This.

This thread could almost be renamed "Oh my sweet summer child |OT|" with the amount of denial that abounds,

This purchase is about winning hearts and minds for the Xbox Gamepass brand going forward. They aren't interested in a generation of short term multiplatform publishing profits. They are buying hearts and minds for their ecosystem for the long haul.

If all they were interested in was timed exclusivity for gamepass, they could do that on an ad hoc arrangement per game for magnitudes less money than 7.5billion.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Making them exclusive, selling millions more consoles and thus more Xbox Live Gold subs, more Game Pass subs and more people to take a 30% cut from when it comes to 3rd party sales is potentially even a bigger win for them. I'll be shocked if anything which isn't announced already still comes to PS5.
That's a big assumption that all consumers that currently play on Playstation would buy a new console solely for ES or Fallout. Even more that you will tie them to Gold and Game Pass subscriptions. To pay back the 7 billion investment, they could certainly keep main (and profitable) franchises cross platform, but enforce all new IPs to be exclusive.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty easy to make fun of console players who spammed EGS threads with "Buying exclusivity is good! IT'S COMPETITION!" ... but forced exclusivity is never a good thing and neither is it some form of competition. I really hope that MS does the right thing and still publishes future Bethesda games on Playstation as well even tho its probably kinda unlikely at this point. Maybe we'll end with something like GamePass on Playstation that costs more on PS than on Xbox or something.
The long term goal has to be getting Gamepass on PlayStation/Switch/whatever else. But these games will probably be exclusive until then.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Possible no sales from PS5
Game Pass...

So how are they going to pay for the development costs of such games as Fallout, TES, Starfield and co.? Microsoft is just too rich.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
No way Starfield and TESVI aren't console exclusive to Xbox Series S/X
Agreed on TES6. That's definitely exclusive, and exactly the kind of big name they want for Game Pass.

I think Starfield could go either way though. It's a long way into development, and it's a new IP. There could be value in getting PlayStation gamers hooked on that franchise so a sequel is even more exciting.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
It will likely be timed exclusives with the games coming to Playstation 90-180 days after launch on XBox.

That way Microsoft will be able to say "First on Xbox / Gamepass" but will also be able to recoup some of the development costs by selling them for full price on Sony.
Highly doubt they payed 7.5B for this or this will be a similar scenario as Mojang

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Starfield and TES 6's exclusivity would depend on whether BGS already has contracts in place with Sony, right? Otherwise, they have no obligation to go multiplatform.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
What will become of Death-loop timed PS exclusive?
Death-Loop and Ghostwire Tokyo will remain temp exclusive. As far as i understand, the aquisition will only be finalized next year. Those games will still be published by Bethesda. Future announced games i doubt they will appear on Sony consoles. So games like Elder Scrolls 6 i bet will be Xbox and PC only.
Sucks major balls, but it is what it is. Gotta play ES6 on PC even if i rather play on consoles.

Last edited: