• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How would you rate Bethesda (the Publisher) between 2014 and today?

• I'm too young to die

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Hey, not too rough

Votes: 80 18.5%
  • Hurt me plenty

Votes: 114 26.3%
  • Ultra-Violence

Votes: 113 26.1%
  • Nightmare!

Votes: 83 19.2%

• Total voters

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Excellent as a publisher. Wolfenstein, Doom, The Evil Within, Dishonored, Prey were all fantastic.

Bethesda Game Studios was a different matter. I do think Fallout 4 is a good game, it just didn't quite live up to my expectations. And Fallout 76 is self-explanatory.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
While they indeed releases some games that weren't the best, I really loved what their internal studios did with DOOM, Prey, Wolfenstein games and Dishonored 2. Even Fallout 4 while was certainly less fun than previous games was a quite solid game.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
**reviews list** about 1/3 amazing games. 1/3 complete disasters. 1/3 good but forgettable games.

could be better. could be worse.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Give me Dishonored 3 and I'll give them a retrospective 10/10. Otherwise, they didn't do much for my tastes, Dishonored 2 and Dishonored DOTO aside, so I'd give them a 5/10 as I know other people love some of the other games.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Fallout 4 was great from a gameplay perspective. They turned the franchise on its head by adding a gameplay loop. And the combat mechanics were great, a major improvement from 3 and New Vegas. id Softwares collaboration really made sure that the combat was engaging and fun.

The issue was that most Fallout fans were expecting the successor to New Vegas, one of the greatest RPGs ever made, and from a writing, questing, dialogue perspective it's abso-fucking-lutely no where near, and it's not helped by the ludicrous decision to change the dialogue system in such a way that killed the creativity of the writers.

Overall Bethesda is a great publisher. Prey, Dishonored, DOOM, all had amazing games this generation. Fallout 4 VR and Skyrim VR, while finnicky and bodged, were really fun to experience. Dishonored VR is crying out to be developed.

But Fallout is one of not their biggest IP and they're continuing to miss the mark.

6/10.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Fallout 76 released rough, and lacking in content. It was a huge disappointment, and I haven't really followed what the progress has been since then.

The other disappointment for me was Rage.

Fallout 4 though a really good game started veering off RPG roots to become more a first person shooter.

Dishonored, Prey, The Evil Within, Wolfenstein (mainline titles), DOOM were all solid. Waiting to see what they can do in the future.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
For the most part I think their output this gen was awful. However, both Dooms were fantastic, and a few of the Wolfensteins were good. So I guess good? (I have no idea what the poll options mean)

Also: lol at the Fallout 76 picture.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
They started out strong, but got worse as they went along. I feel like their sequels (minus dishonoured) this generation ended up as the inferior products.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Arkane Studios had a fantastic track record, that's for sure. Dishonored 2 and Prey are among my favorites from the last decade.

Otherwise, the Wolf TNO was great (the sequel was kind of disappointing through), and TEW has been promising, although I need to finish it heh.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Largely a disappointment - all they had to do was give us a new Elder Scrolls ....

Fallout 4 was fantastic though - and Prey was really good too.

But just gutted it's been so long since Skyrim now.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Overall it was pretty great!

Evil within was decent, 2 was amazing!
Both Wolfienstien were good
Fallout 4 was decent
Doom and eternal were great!

How's fallout 76 now a days? And any good improvements on ps5?

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
They did great. Dishonored 2, Death of the Outsider, Prey, Doom 2016/Eternal, Evil Within 1/2, Wolfenstein New Order, New Colossus and Youngblood are some of my favourite games of the gen. Rage 2 was fun and while I myself actually never cared a lot for the Fallout series my GF really enjoyed 4 (for someone that never played a Fallout/Elders scrolls type of game it's quite remarkable).

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Psst... Fallout 76 is actually pretty good, you guys are high, leave your meme behind and try it.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Bethesda games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls were meh all over, but they got bigger as a studio and anything that came out from Arkane and their other studios was just pure gold.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Psst... Fallout 76 is actually pretty good, you guys are high, leave your meme behind and try it.

Exactly...

I'd give them an 8.5 out of 10. Only because of Fallout 76's rough start which has been reversed almost entirely. They have actually kinda killed it over this gen and I am excited to see what they can bring with even more support under the MS umbrella.

Also, OP, I feel like this scale should be the other way around. Nightmare being for the Hardest of hardcore.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps the most inconsistent publisher of the gen, I couldn't really gauge whether I'd love or hate their games before playing them.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Lots of great games from them.....their aqusition by Microsoft all but assures I'll be owning both systems next gen...well played,Phil Spencer.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda released some of the best games last gen. Though it is somewhat ironic that none of them were made by Bethesda Game Studios... Still, with the Evil Within games, Prey, Dishonored, Doom, and Wolfenstein all under their belt, I feel like they make a solid argument for being the best in the business (during last gen).

Their acquisition will insure that I purchase a Series X at some point this gen (maybe a few years down the road when the exclusives start releasing).

Psst... I put 60 hours into that game (beating the main questline) and it is definitely among the worst games I have ever played.

To be fair, that was before the Wastelanders addition (a few months before), but I can't imagine that could have fixed all the problems in that game. It was a tremendous mess.

Last edited:

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
As a publisher they were fantastic. Arkane in particular rose to become one of my favorite active developers. I was really impressed by their output.

BGS proper, eh. I thought Fallout 4 was fine but I am not too into the games they make regardless.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
As a publisher they were fantastic. Arkane in particular rose to become one of my favorite active developers. I was really impressed by their output.

BGS proper, eh. I thought Fallout 4 was fine but I am not too into the games they make regardless.

Yeah, I really hope MS sees what a gem of a studio Arkane is and goes out of their way to really support them. They acquired a lot of really quality studios when they bought Bethesda, but I think Arkane is probably the best of them (and among the best in the business).

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Psst... I put 60 hours into that game (beating the main questline) and it is definitely among the worst games I have ever played.

To be fair, that was before the Wastelanders addition (a few months before), but I can't imagine that could have fixed all the problems in that game. It was a tremendous mess.

Well I had fresh eyes on it, so maybe that helped and I avoided all of the first two years of rough shit. Just started playing it last month, enjoyed my stay in the Appalachia.

There's also the Brotherhood stuff dropping today which looks good as well.

Last edited:

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
I think they helped me stop playing First Person Games.

Although DOOM (2016) was the shit. I can't be bothered with an FPS that isn't Call of Duty/Battlefield for my MP needs. I just can't do story based, single player FPS games anymore.

The Evil Within was the shit! I loved it so much.
Part 2, not so much.

I just wished Bethesda delved more into the story based 3rd person view.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored 2 and Prey were my GOTY I believe or close to it. For those games, I am thankful for their output this year.

I enjoyed Fallout 4 more than others on this forum. I liked TNO as well. Need to play the sequel along w/ Doom.

Uncle at Nintendo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jan 3, 2018
I'm one of the 5 people who liked Fallout 4, but I only played it with a shitload of mods so maybe thats why.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
By far the most interesting large western publisher this gen, mostly but not entirely by virtue of owning Arkane.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
I mean they made 5 games I really really enjoyed (Doom, Doom Eternal, Fallout 4, Elder Scrolls Online, Dishonored 2) which is more than I can say for a lot of publishers. I thought it was a pretty solid gen for them, excited for the future.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They've been fantastic all around. Even their misses are still mostly fun to play.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the minority for enjoying Fallout 4 and personally found most of the other titles I played mostly forgettable. I really need to finish Prey.

Basically
tenor.gif

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
I can't be bothered with an FPS that isn't Call of Duty/Battlefield for my MP needs. I just can't do story based, single player FPS games anymore.
tenor.gif

With all the GAAS in the FPS genre today, story based, singleplayer are the only FPS's I play aside from R6 and Quake Champions for my multiplayer needs.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
Incredible - Evil Within and Evil Within 2 are 10/10 for me, Prey is close behind and I enjoyed Doom and Wolfenstein too. Really hope Ghostwire is another mega game from Mikami.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Loved every game they made. Though I don't play Fallout games.

What is this poll though? How do I discern what means good. Is harder difficulties a higher rating or lower rating?

Jan 4, 2018
Overall it was pretty great!

Evil within was decent, 2 was amazing!
Both Wolfienstien were good
Fallout 4 was decent
Doom and eternal were great!

How's fallout 76 now a days? And any good improvements on ps5?

FO76 is a great game now. It probably has the best map to explore among modern Fallout games and Bethesda is still improving it with expansions (I think they deserve credits for that because I'm still mad that EA abandonned Battlefield V, and Anthem by the way. Even though that FO76 playerbase is way bigger than these games).

Nothing on next-gen enhancements yet.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
Have to echo the sentiments of most of this thread. As a publisher, they knocked it out of the park with a steady stream of hits that really represent what I want out of modern gaming, but as a developer, I was very let down with their output. They went from one of my most anticipated, day one every time studios to one where I will always wait for reviews before buying. Really hoping they learn from this and bounce back.

Oct 30, 2017
Needs a new poll…

Doom 2016 and W:TNO where amazing… F4 disappointing… didn't play the rest and not going to.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Probably my favourite publisher, they've been pretty incredible for me.

Dishonored 2, Death of the Outsider and Prey are probably all in my top 10 of this past gen. I also really enjoyed Wolfenstein and TEW2.

Also have to give big props to Bethesda Studios for putting mods in Skyrim Legendary Edition and Fallout 4. Fallout 4 didn't hit the highs of Skyrim or Fallout 3, but I still loved it.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their namesake studio dropped the ball. They produced two disappointing Fallouts and failed to follow up on Skyrim, which would almost be unthinkable for any other publisher. I think if they had gotten ES6 out before the end of last year, Bethesda might have stayed with Zenimax.

i agree, as a publusher they had a fantastic output. But the lack of a new elder scrolls was sorely felt. To put it in perpsective, i was 18 when skyrim came out, im probably gonna be over 30 by the time elder scrolls 6 comes out

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Well I had fresh eyes on it, so maybe that helped and I avoided all of the first two years of rough shit. Just started playing it last month, enjoyed my stay in the Appalachia.

There's also the Brotherhood stuff dropping today which looks good as well.

To be fair, I really disliked Fallout 4. And when 76 was at its best, it felt like a continuation of that game (without companions, which were the one thing Fallout 4 did reasonably well). Also, it was horrifically broken when I played it (and it had one of the worst enemy scaling implementations I have ever seen). So, if they DID fix all of that, I could see the people who really like Fallout 4 digging it. I may even jump back in and give it one more shot, just to see if it is, indeed, a much better game.