• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for calling out corporations as not being moral or our friends, but in this case I don't think they're wrong. As has been mentioned, it's illegal in those territories, and worse it could subject their local employees to undue harm. It really sucks, but I understand it.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Corporations are not our friends :)

I think it's nice to see a Pride flag, but at the same time I realise it's just business for many of those companies. At the same time I think many LGBT people or allies are actually working - for example - for Bethesda in more LGBT-friendly regions so some people there really do care.

But it's the same thing like with HK. Corporations did not give a single fuck, cause China.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Do we have examples of companies that are doing the opposite and changing profiles pictures/similar things in anti-LGBTQ countries? That would make me feel better for at least 5 minutes until I open another thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Yep, Middle East alone has a long way to go before it becomes accepting, there are defiantly countries in the Middle East that are okay with LGBTQ+ but unfortunately not everywhere.

It's likely more so that they don't want to harm their employees.
C'mon, you don't need to make excuses for them. You know damn well it's about profits, not safety.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
It's amazing how flippant people in the West countries are about the problems LGBT supporters face in the Middle East and Russia. Publishers aren't your friends, but I don't blame Bethesda here. It would have been far worse if their American headquarters forced their Middle East branch to put on LGBT flag too, drawing hate and problems to people who actually have to live in those countries just for the sake of looking equally pro-LGBT in all countries.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Am I the only one who came into this thread expecting an assless chaps armor set?

www.reddit.com

r/Doom - Can’t believe Doomguy would do this to us

279 votes and 24 comments so far on Reddit

8gjqldl962s41.jpg

mod edit: don't post images like that outside of spoiler tags

Last edited by a moderator:

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
They dont support it in them countrys, if they just go and support it then it causes more problems than just bussiness issues, there staff could be put in danger.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Seeing their staff could be in danger, seems the right call, as sad and unfortunate as that is.
Still, I would love to see all the platform holders/PC Component companies promote LGBTQ there and actually see whether these countries would actually be willing to not buy any consoles or PCs to take a stance against it.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
As a trans person in a country where being trans is barely recognized, I think a lot of you are approaching this issue in a very condescending, western-centric way. I'm sorry.

The same kind of thinking as "we sanction the hell out of these people, make them poor as dirt, so that they'll rise up against their oppressors", fucking harmful as heck

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I work in PR in Pakistan.

If a single brand or business does open support of trans or LGBT rights, they'll have a fatwa declared on them. The same is for the middle east, turkey and Russia.

As bad as it is, these companies have to abide by religious and cultural laws too. Hence why the esrb and pegi exist. If Bethesda or any other brand forced their ME branch to change to the rainbow, you'd have people in that country boycott the brand.

In Pakistan we still treat trans people like crap, and the same goes for a lot of middle east countries where gay people are thrown in prison or beaten. Bethesda ME waiving a rainbow flag will only cause unnecessary trouble and they'll roll it back in a matter of hours.

From public pressure when the religious parties put a fatwa for their heads.

I know it sucks but no brand can force their regional offices to abide by blanket terms, especially something like the rainbow flag in countries where it's a literal death sentence to belong to any letter in the LGBT alphabet.
So why don't they just not have a business in those countries. Simple.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
It's easy to support us where we already fought for our rights.
More like it's easier to support a cause in a country where at least part of the population support said cause, than in a country where almost no one supports said cause, and a large part of the population is actually against said cause.

Companies aren't our friends, but the world is complicated place and even if they only change their logo once a year on a few accounts, that's still some visibility. And I won't give a lecture about how to fight for the LGBT cause in those countries, because I have no freaking idea how it could be done, but what I can safely say in my still freedom of speech supportive country, is that the easy thing is also is to condemn people/entities for not breaking the laws (informal of otherwise) of countries they operate in to support a cause, as righteous as that cause may be, especially when engaging in such support could lead to way more trouble than a simple fine.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
User Banned (1 Month): Drive-by inflammatory whataboutism. Account in junior phase.
People acting like they've finally exposed that Bethesda only cares about money and not human rights as they type on a device made in a sweatshop in China.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
As others pointed out, Era has a tendency to look at things from a very US/ Western perspective, without always taking the local situation into account. In this case, supporting or promoting LGBT rights is literally illegal/ against the law in these countries (not sure about Turkey, but definitely the case in Russia and many Arab countries). People who do so frequently become victims of violence that the state at best ignores, and at worst supports or defends as righteous.

Are these laws terrible? Obviously, we are after all talking about often denying the most basic human rights to many of their citizens. But for us to sit here in countries where we are free to express our opinions and demanding that companies go break the law in countries where this freedom does not exist, and where doing so can very often have brutal consequences for their employees on the ground seems weird to me.

Hype-Lord

Jan 8, 2019
Moscow, Russia
If Bethesda were to change their profile pic in Russia, they'd break the "anti LGBT propaganda" law. Which means a lot of bad news for them, possibly problems releasing their games etc.

It's sad, but completely understandable

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Couldn't it be dangerous for their employees in some of those places if they did this?
I haven't lived in these countries but from what I've heard over the news: yes. And I don't even mean like risking profits for the company but the very risk of the employee's health. LGBT people seem to be treated like trash in those countries and are subject to many hate crimes.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I haven't lived in these countries but from what I've heard over the news: yes. And I don't even mean like risking profits for the company but the very risk of the employee's health. LGBT people seem to be treated like trash in those countries and are subject to many hate crimes.

And if that wasn't shocking enough by itself- those hate crimes are often encouraged or defended by local authorities as "understandable moral outrage", and such.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
BethesdaRU, ME, TL PR most likely live in their own region and promoting LGBTQ can result in terrible things for these people and Bethesda can't risk their own employees.

In Russia case they even have a brand new office in the region, you don't want the russian government to storm in and detain all the employees working there.

Bethesda Softworks opens new Russia studio in Moscow

Bethesda Softworks announced today that it has opened a new studio in Moscow, Russia, which will focus on marketing and sales in that region.

BethesdaME twitter account was opened in January 2020, so they probably have plans in place to expand in the region.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's easy to support us where we already fought for our rights.

Yeah. Problem with all this woke brand stuff is that there will generally only ever be support for causes that are clearly seen as net positives for the brand. Any support helps, and it's good to have corporate backing to help tilt the balance, but ultimately corporations are motivated by money.

Apr 16, 2020
Couldn't it be dangerous for their employees in some of those places if they did this?

It could. Honestly, people criticizing this hasn't thought this through. If they were to openly support gay rights in the middle East, they would simply lose presence in the region and possibly have their products banned there. In which case the vacuum might be filled by some company that does not support gay rights at all.

The world is compromise, and change takes time. If you push to hard, you'd just be outright rejected by the region, and you'll be further from any sort of LGBT acceptance. Some people will simply not admit that they world is complicated and grey.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I know the situation isn't simple, and people are at risk, but people are ALREADY at risk. More companies should be supporting, not less.
"Yeah, it's easier to have the LGBT population try to change things by themselves without any help from us", is all I'm reading here. I guess there are easier things to support...

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
So do they deny the public their games, or do they potentially put employees in danger?
It's a lose-lose scenario either way.

User Banned (3 Months): Excusing bigotry.
So why don't they just not have a business in those countries. Simple.
Middle East is a big games market.

Just because they choose to respect culture and religious values doesn't meant they shouldn't operate there.

Muslims didn't make a fuss when GameStop or Amazon didn't wish Muslims an Eid Mubarak the way they wish Christmas, Easter etc to their Christian customers. Just accept that all cultures don't necessarily have to abide by a blanket policy and move on.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
As others pointed out, Era has a tendency to look at things from a very US/ Western perspective, without always taking the local situation into account. In this case, supporting or promoting LGBT rights is literally illegal/ against the law in these countries (not sure about Turkey, but definitely the case in Russia and many Arab countries). People who do so frequently become victims of violence that the state at best ignores, and at worst supports or defends as righteous.

Are these laws terrible? Obviously, we are after all talking about often denying the most basic human rights to many of their citizens. But for us to sit here in countries where we are free to express our opinions and demanding that companies go break the law in countries where this freedom does not exist, and where doing so can very often have brutal consequences for their employees on the ground seems weird to me.

Maybe stop doing business in those countries?

Tokikko

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I know the situation isn't simple, and people are at risk, but people are ALREADY at risk. More companies should be supporting, not less.
"Yeah, it's easier to have the LGBT population try to change things by themselves without any help from us", is all I'm reading here. I guess there are easier things to support...
Its easy to be a internet warrior from 1000km away. You can read up what some people have written who live in those countries. Basically you are risking the life of people who work for those companies.

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco
Maybe stop doing business in those countries?
That's just selfish, i live in North Africa and having one of many people's favorite hobby getting taken away like that would be
really sad. I agree that some arab countries have ridiculous laws, but that doesnt mean that every company should leave those markets.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
That's just selfish, i live in North Africa and having one of many people's favorite hobby getting taken away like that would be
really sad. I agree that some arab countries have ridiculous laws, but that doesnt mean that every company should leave those markets.

I know that the customers would be the ones who get trampled underfoot such a decision. But the same can be said about official sanctions from one country to another.

Mar 18, 2020
Shit like this is why people need to talk to people from other countries, read, and go somewhere.

It's not always as easy as you think.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
No shit? Putting a rainbow logo is a hollow PR move which they will never act towards beyond this designated period where they will pretend they are a progressive entity.

And it's not particularly shocking in regions where they are more likely to get put in active danger for open support of LGBT+ rights than others.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Its easy to be a internet warrior from 1000km away. You can read up what some people have written who live in those countries. Basically you are risking the life of people who work for those companies.

The lives of LGBT people are at risk every day. It's even easier to ignore that from 1000km away.