• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I sort of see this as the same thing as publishers wanting their own launcher/forcing their launcher.

They want their cut, period. If someone's making a dollar on their game, they want their share.
Nvidia is not making any money on the game sale. The publisher gets exactly the same amount of money as if a person were to buy the game to play on their local hardware

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This makes sense. It's an alternate way to play and the publishers are only getting the revenue once. They're going to want money to keep their games on the service.

It sucks, but it makes sense.

Nvidia is not making any money on the game sale. The publisher gets exactly the same amount of money as if a person were to buy the game to play on their local hardware

Maybe not on the sale, but Nvidia is making money on the medium, and in some cases costing sales on games where double dipping might be possible. CDPr doesn't seem to care, but I promise you that Geforce Now has cost them sales of Witcher on the Switch.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
So what happens when Valve launch their solution on Steam?

I think a lot of that depends on what sort of leverage Valve thinks they may have to make streaming access a prerequisite to appearing on the storefront at all. It's the same potential advantage that Microsoft has with xCloud; are they big enough to force the publisher's hands or else prevent them from listing on Steam to begin with...Nvidia not being the platform holder in this scenario just doesn't have that card to play.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
As the prophet once said

Because-Fuck-You-Gif.gif

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
This makes sense. It's an alternate way to play and the publishers are only getting the revenue once. They're going to want money to keep their games on the service.

It sucks, but it makes sense.

So should publishers be entitled to get new revenue from me every time I upgrade my local GPU?

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Really bad look for Nvidia not looking like they done there homework on this before hand - be interesting Xbox going forward with cloud stuff as I assume it's in a lot of the deals of launching on Xbox but we will see

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
It's a weird situation.
Devs want money from getting streamed on GeForceNow. But the service isn't much different than going to a local pc gaming area and renting a pc for a time. Signing into your Steam/UPlay/EA account, downloading/playing games, then leaving.

Devs are still getting money through the service from those that buy games on the store of their choice. It's not like they aren't getting any revenue off of it.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but the companies are selling you a local license only. If you want a cloud license they want to be paid as well. Look at stadia all you are buying there is a cloud license and not a local license.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
if this becomes a bigger issue and more publishers pull out, I wonder if the end result ends up being a price increase for Geforce Now, so Nvidea can actually pay for whatever they need to do regarding publishers.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

Except they're not playing on their local hardware. They're streaming it to other devices via a subscription service Nvidia's being paid for.

This shouldn't surprise anyone given how shitty most publishers are.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
So should publishers be entitled to get new revenue from me every time I upgrade my local GPU?
Publishers get paid by MS to be on gamepass so yes that already happens in some form - will be interesting how this works with "local streaming" for example from developers will be the interesting one but I imagine that's already tied up on the agreement to launch on Xbox

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes but the companies are selling you a local license only. If you want a cloud license they want to be paid as well. Look at stadia all you are buying there is a cloud license and not a local license.
"Local license" vs "Cloud license" makes zero sense here -- the game is being run locally on a machine somewhere and streamed to your screen.
Because this isn't a video card, it's a gaming platform. Same argument that Activision doesn't get a cut when you buy a new toilet even though Warcraft 3 Reforged is shit.
It's just a PC somewhere, not a new platform developers have to exclusively develop for.

Abysmal decision by Activision and Bethesda. One can only imagine they are cooking some nefarious cash-grab of their own for the streaming future.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I am not using a "cloud license", though. The game is installed in Nvidia's PCs and streaming that over to me.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
It's a weird situation.
Devs want money from getting streamed on GeForceNow. But the service isn't much different than going to a local pc gaming area and renting a pc for a time.
Devs are still getting money through the service from those that buy games on the store of their choice. It's not like they aren't getting any revenue off of it.
Don't game cafes in places like China and South Korea explicitly get Cafe licenses? Also free to play games are not going to run into this.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Game streaming is going to go the way of TV streaming. Fragmentation among loads of competing platforms with major publishers using their IP to try and lock people paying for their streaming service on top of others.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Publishers get paid by MS to be on gamepass so yes that already happens in some form - will be interesting how this works with "local streaming" for example from developers will be the interesting one but I imagine that's already tied up on the agreement to launch on Xbox

Gamepass is an entirely different entity from xCloud; Gamepass is what grants you the license to play the game, not xCloud.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
if this becomes a bigger issue and more publishers pull out, I wonder if the end result ends up being a price increase for Geforce Now, so Nvidea can actually pay for whatever they need to do regarding publishers.

GeForce Now is already getting a price increase. The $4.99 at the moment is an introductory offer for the 'Founders period'. The price will be going up later.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Don't game cafes in places like China and South Korea explicitly get Cafe licenses? Also free to play games are not going to run into this.

Where I am, there are a few pc cafe's that have a dozen or so decently equipped gaming pc's. They let people just use their accounts freely just with time limits.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Just like with music, movies, and TV... streaming rights are about to be the hot commodity for gaming

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017

Cafe licenses are explicitly the OPPOSITE of a bring-your-own-license model. Those are what allow an internet cafe to buy one license for the game and have multiple people play it on their public hardware. GeForce now is the opposite.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I am not using a "cloud license", though. The game is installed in Nvidia's PCs and streaming that over to me.
Yes so it's not installed on your local machine. Cloud licenses are a big thing in commercial software right now. I just had to help setup some tax software because they moved over to a cloud license so they had to make sure to uninstall all of the local software.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Get ready for phase 2 when all these publishers try their hand at their own streaming services.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
And for games where is that defined?
Let me preface this by saying that these restrictions are bullshit for games, but here's an example from the WoW EULA

"Cloud Computing: Use the Platform, including a Game, in connection with any unauthorized third-party "cloud computing" services, "cloud gaming" services, or any software or service designed to enable the unauthorized streaming or transmission of Game content from a third-party server to any device."

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Cafe licenses are explicitly the OPPOSITE of a bring-your-own-license model. Those are what allow an internet cafe to buy one license for the game and have multiple people play it on their public hardware. GeForce now is the opposite.
Yes that's what I was asking those places generally have a completely separate license. I've never heard of a place that lets you rent a computer and install whatever you want.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Again, whether the game is streamed or not is of no interest of the publisher. The game is being run on a PC the same way I could run it in mine, I could use Steam's streaming and it'd be the same thing.
I mean going by these cases it is in the interest of the publishers. Steam streaming uses your personal computer. This is using a third party computer that they are installing the software on.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good joke but the analogy didn't make sense

Sure it does. We're talking about streaming licenses over a cloud medium, not a hardware purchase. Activision has no reason to try to get a piece of video card sales just because you can use it to play their games (IE Warcraft and toilet). In this case it's technically a second version of the game (local versus cloud) which they can lay claim to.

I don't like it, but I understand it. Cloud gaming will cost double dip sales on some games, so publishers needs to make sure they get a cut. This might not be the right way, but it's what they're going with for now. Same as online passes, which were a bad solution to what was admittedly a problem to them. It's up to us to reject it so that the market changes.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
If Terms and Conditions are against the law, then it means nothing.

If the agreement is made without breaking the law or waving away your legal rights, then it will stand. If you purchased the software that cannot be operated on commercial hardware, then you aren't going to win. Those walls of text specify what you can and cannot do with your software, and they are clearly skewed towards the software vendor. All my graphics software cannot be legally installed on the work computer.

Perhaps there would be a movement to amend the law/rights for digital licenses to operate on cloud servers, as long as the user is using it. It would be something that you couldn't deny with the terms and conditions agreement. However, there is no way the laws/rights are so up to date that this isn't some grey area that needs legal experts to weight in.

EU treats software like Photoshop and games differently for example. That is why you can resell your software licenses but not games in EU. And EULA is not legally binding because it is not contract. T&C are bit different from what I read but they can be legally binding but also can be considered non legally binding depending on implementation.

Dec 14, 2019
So what made publishers join GeForce Now while being in beta? Did they for some reason earn more money during the beta period?