• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
www.gamesindustry.biz

Bethesda faces lawsuit over Fallout 4 DLC

Bethesda is facing a class-action lawsuit over the way it handled the release of DLC for Fallout 4.The lawsuit revolves…

Bethesda is facing a class-action lawsuit over the way it handled the release of DLC for Fallout 4.

The lawsuit revolves around Fallout 4's Season Pass, which was announced in September 2015 with a $30 price tag (later increased to $50) and promising access to all the DLC ever done for the game, GamesBeat reported.

However, in 2017, Bethesda announced Creation Club, which is described as "a collection of all-new content for both Fallout 4 and Skyrim." That content was created both by external partners and Bethesda Games Studios itself, and isn't available to people who have bought the Season Pass.

The attorneys of the class-action lawsuit, Filippo Marchino and Thomas Gray from The X-Law Group, argue that this content constitutes DLC and that players who purchased the Season Pass should therefore have access to it.

The lawsuit, which was filed in July 2019, encompasses charges including breach of contract, unjust enrichment, negligent misrepresentation, and deceit or fraud. Bethesda's counsel, Margaret Esquenet, denied the accusations.

The lawsuit could delay Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax, with Marchino telling GamesBeat: "What we're going to try and do is go in and ask a judge to stop the sale between Microsoft and Bethesda to preserve the assets. And it's known as a motion for preliminary injunction."

A trial could happen by 2022, GamesBeat said, and damages could be as high as $1.1 billion, more if you include punitive damages.

"Simply put, Bethesda sold a Season Pass with the understanding that it was going to give the holders of the Season Pass any and all DLC content there was going to be created for the game Fallout 4 on a go-forward basis," Marchino said.

"They released a limited amount of DLC. Then they released a second wave of DLC, but decided to call it the Creation Club content and artificially removed it from the definition of DLC. Meaning that they promised people at the onset, we will give you everything we made. And then they reneged on that promise, and they did so to their benefit or the detriment of the plaintiffs. So that's where they did something wrong. They lied. They took money from gamers, and then they made more money."

GamesIndustry.biz reached out to Bethesda for comment.

And here's a link to the Blog post the suit is referring to:

After many long years, Fallout 4 is entering its final months of development.

We've put so much into it for so long; we can't believe it's almost done. The game will soon be out of our hands and into yours. There's so much there that we haven't talked about or spoiled, because we want you to discover it, to make it your own.
It's during this stage of development that we start thinking about how we'll support Fallout 4 after launch. We wanted to give you a taste of what we plan on doing:

REGULAR UPDATES
We'll be doing regular free updates to the game, and like Skyrim, these will come with not just fixes, but new features. For Skyrim we added things like mounted combat, legendary mode, kill cams, visual enhancements and more. We'll work with all of you to figure out what new things you'd love to see added to Fallout 4, whether they are small tweaks or new features.

MODS & CREATION KIT
The most important thing in our games is the freedom you have to create your own experience, and modding is a big part of that. Like all our previous games, we've made sure to keep Fallout 4 open and moddable at every step in development. Early next year we'll release for free the new Creation Kit for the PC. This is the same tool we use in the studio. You'll be able to create your own mods and share them with others. We're especially excited these same mods will then be coming to Xbox One, and then PlayStation 4.

DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT
We've always done a lot of DLC for our games. We love making them and you always ask us for more. To reward our most loyal fans, this time we'll be offering a Season Pass that will get you all of the Fallout 4 DLC we ever do for just $30. Since we're still hard at work on the game, we don't know what the actual DLC will be yet, but it will start coming early next year. Based on what we did for Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim, we know that it will be worth at least $40, and if we do more, you'll get it all with the Season Pass.
Thanks again to all of you! The support and excitement you've given Fallout 4 has blown us away. It's energized us even more to do everything we can in these final months to make this our best game yet. We absolutely can't wait for you to play it, and share your adventures with us and each other.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
lol what the fuck

EDIT: I see the argument here, I just don't see this lawsuit getting traction. Feel like this is hardly the first time something like this has happened with DLC

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
As it was filed in 2019, Microsoft knew about it before going through with the deal so they weren't worried

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Cmon lol. Also delay the aquisition.... this was a thing before they were even in talks. They obviously didn't think it'd be a problem.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
PlayStation fans getting desperate.

Highly doubt it affects the sale.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I mean they have a point. They straight up say you'll get ALL dlc, and they developed things for the creation club, not just modders.

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't do this content alone, it was from modders if I remember correctly. the season pass says all the dlc they ever do will be included, not dlc they offer from a third party's work. This seems like a dumb lawsuit.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The official source is this VGC and

Davide Hoppe, a lawyer focussing on the games industry, told GamesBeat that he believed the lawsuit would likely end in a settlement as he believed that neither side wanted to go to trial.

"I just can't imagine a judge ordering, or even a jury, really, approving the award of billions dollars with respect to virtual downloadable content," Hoppe said. "It seems like the easiest thing to do would be to open up the Creation Club to everyone who bought the season pass."

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
2019? I guess MS knew about the lawsuit before going ahead with the acquisition then. hopefully it doesn't cause any major issues.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Part of me feels like this is frivolous, and I doubt sincerely it'll hold up the acquisition.

That said, you can look on Steam right now, and "Creation Club credits" is for sale under the DLC options in the store, with you being able to spend up to $40 on Creation Club credits.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't do this content alone, it was from modders if I remember correctly. the season pass says all the dlc they ever do will be included, not dlc they offer from a third party's work. This seems like a dumb lawsuit.
What is the Creation Club?
Creation Club is a collection of all-new content for both Fallout 4 and Skyrim. It features new items, abilities, and gameplay created by Bethesda Games Studios and outside development partners including the best community creators. Creation Club content is fully curated and compatible with the main game and official add-ons.

It's both Bethesda made and outside sourced. To be honest I do think they have a point, but I have no love for X-Law.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I totally forgot Creation Club was even a thing until I saw this thread.

What a dumb move that was from Bethesda.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This seems like a case of people seeing a technicality and wanting to sue a rich company off of it, but it is what it is. I have a feeling the request for preliminary injunction to put the purchase on pause is just a marketing move as well as a move to get ZeniMax to settle out of court

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I expected better from VGC. That some pure Twitter click bait fanboy console war stuff.

I guess it's because they actually said they want to stop the acquisition for now:

The lawsuit could delay Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax, with Marchino telling GamesBeat: "What we're going to try and do is go in and ask a judge to stop the sale between Microsoft and Bethesda to preserve the assets. And it's known as a motion for preliminary injunction."

And it's likely the biggest thing about this lawsuit now.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The X-Laws?!
89d6ea5272f9422288218ce57da28e2f5babcb92_00.jpg

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I can say with 10000000000% confidence that the multi-billion dollar acquisition is still going through as planned.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
The issue is that Bethesda is putting official content under the creation club as well. If it was only third party content this lawsuit would have been instantly nulled.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
The lawsuit seems frivolous but hopefully this serves as a lesson to have an actual DLC roadmap to advertise rather than sell a season pass for the vague promise of whatever they happen to come up with.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Yes the act of trying to block the sale is silly, but it sucks to see people here dismiss the case.

Bethesda absolutely lied about the season pass and should be held accountable.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a lawyer but I'm gonna guess that the X-Law Group trying to block fucking Microsoft from acquiring Bethesda for multiple billions of dollars because of a class-action lawsuit they filed two years ago over some DLC that didn't get included in a Season Pass in a game that came out over five years ago... isn't actually gonna block shit.

Still, Bethesda news is hot this week for some reason.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Always amazes me how quick people are to defend a multi-billion dollar company. They promised one thing, then didn't live up to it. Unless they want to take it to court to attempt to define what is and isn't DLC, I expect they'll reach a settlement.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This seems like nothing.

What I find weird is that is he 19 now...or was he 19 in 2019?

Cuz VentureBeat says he plays Call of Duty, which is 18+

Devine was familiar with season passes in other games like Call of Duty and knew that they often had time limits. But he didn't see any wording to that effect on this one and really thought he was buying a pass for all future content.

My man was playing Call of Duty as a minor if so! That's illegal!

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Yes the act of trying to block the sale is silly, but it sucks to see people here dismiss the case.

Bethesda absolutely lied about the season pass and should be held accountable.

Eh, not that i expected anything else.

Would it be EA on the other Hand, boy this Thread would have a different tone.