• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So this is something which came up when me and my friends where discussing Microsoft's Bethesda acquisition. Now to put this into context, during the production of Fallout New Vegas, Bethesda were not exactly the best partners to work with and during the marketing campaign of the outer worlds, Obsidian were not really shy about making sure everyone knew that they made Fallout.

So given the recent purchase, will Microsoft just allow Obsidian to work on the new Fallout titles? Given that Bethesda is semi independent , does Microsoft actually have the authority to do this?

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I think the dynamic here is really interesting and I'd love to know how the upper management gets restructured (or not). Zenimax was also famously shitty to some of their other developers like Arkane (undermining them while they were independent), so I wonder if there will be some new bosses.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Microsoft has the authority to do whatever they want. Nobody knows how continuing work on the Fallout series will go.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I imagine at some point around 5 years from now they'll be merged into one single large studio once either one of their projects bombs commercially, or when the demand for labor for AAA projects increases further and Obsidian becomes the Raven Software to Bethesda's Treyarch/Infinity Ward.

OP
OP
olag

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
www.resetera.com

Could a Fallout New Vegas 2 be possible since Bethesda and Obsidian are both apart of the Microsoft family?

I really hope so. Because that would be a dream come true. I mean it is possible right since today’s announcement blindsided everyone.
inb4 lock
Dont particularly mind if the thread gets shut down however Bethesda's past history with Obsidian does warrent a fairly independent discussion I'd argue given the history and potential bad blood there.

Its definately gonna be fascinating to watch how these two companies work together going forward.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
There are still relatively separate entities. Obsidian is now under Xbox Game Studios, where as Bethesda is still Bethesda just under the Microsoft Umbrella. Bethesda probably already had a plan for a lot of their IPs, I don't think Microsoft would really push that hard one way or the other.

Also Bethesda fucked over Obsidian when it came to Fallout New Vegas.

Jan 4, 2018
In 2013 :

www.rockpapershotgun.com

And Here's Obsidian's Idea For Fallout: New Vegas 2

When you speak with someone in Las Vegas, the topic of conversation naturally shifts to Vegas-themed things. In the cas…

During a DICE chat that lasted innumerable moons, months, seasons, and centuries, Urquhart and I briefly touched on his studio's return to its old techno-magically irradiated Black Isle haunt. "Oh, we'd love to do Fallout: New Vegas 2," he enthused. "It would be awesome." But how would that work? And is Bethesda on board with the idea? Here's what Urquhart had to say.

"If I think of going from Fallout 1 to Fallout 2, we tried to associate the two areas somewhat closely," he explained to RPS. "It wasn't just 'Oh, we're gonna do this 2,000 miles from here.' So I think if we were to do Fallout: New Vegas 2 – or just a new Fallout – we would probably separate it from what the internal team at Bethesda's doing. We'd keep it on the West Coast, because we're West Coast people. They're East Coast, so it makes sense."

"And we need an interesting confined area. So I mean, it could be LA. Fallout LA. That could be interesting. It'd probably be The Boneyard, which is from Fallout 1. It could be very different. It could be almost a Walking Dead meets Fallout-like thing because of all the radiation."

Obsidian : Fallout West Coast.

Bethesda : Fallout East Coast.

I would love it to happen.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worth noting that Bethesda doesn't actually have to be involved AFAICT. Microsoft now owns the Fallout IP, so they can just say "Obsidian, pitch us a Fallout Game", done.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Would Obsidian even have the time for it?

They're kind of going full speed ahead on their original IP stuff like Avowed and I assume Outer Worlds 2.

Feels like New Vegas 2 wouldn't be a thing for years and years.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
inXile is under Microsoft's umbrella too, so that's another part of the Fallout puzzle. Though I imagine they're more than fine doing Wasteland.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
inXile is under Microsoft's umbrella too, so that's another part of the Fallout puzzle. Though I imagine they're more than fine doing Wasteland.
Wasteland 3 is awesome but really want an isometric CRPG style Fallout again but with modern production values.

That would be great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
olag

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would Obsidian even have the time for it?

They're kind of going full speed ahead on their original IP stuff like Avowed and I assume Outer Worlds 2.

Feels like New Vegas 2 wouldn't be a thing for years and years.
I think this would probably be the best strategy. Let Obsidian continue doing their own thing whilst Bethesda does theirs. But given that Bethesda will be the bigger bread winner of the two , if lets say Obsidian pitched a new fallout game would does Bethesda have enough pull to veto?

Also kinda hoping that with this acquisition Obsidian can now double down on their isometric CRPG games as the first/third person rpg niche can be filled with Bethesda games.

Lol, the company picnics are gonna be interesting.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
The future of Fallout is the most exciting thing about this acquisition. MS doesn't have to wait for Bethesda or Obsidian to get around to it, they can do whatever they want with it. So many possibilities, hopefully something good comes of this franchise again sooner rather than later. I was worried there wouldn't be a Fallout next gen, now there is hope.

Farming out remasters of 3 and New Vegas and then Obsidian on Fallout 5 after Avowed would be pretty great.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Way back in August:

LoUOgPi.gif

He said in a stream its not New Vegas 2 but its fun to imagine

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Just wait until MS buys Sega and you realize a new Alpha Protocol could be in the cards, too.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
I love this. Fallout New Vegas is the best of the recent Fallout games by far, and I hated reading how Bethesda treated them from their high horse. Now they are studios on equal footing. Lol at Todd Howard.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So this is something which came up when me and my friends where discussing Microsoft's Bethesda acquisition. Now to put this into context, during the production of Fallout New Vegas, Bethesda were not exactly the best partners to work with and during the marketing campaign of the outer worlds, Obsidian were not really shy about making sure everyone knew that they made Fallout.

So given the recent purchase, will Microsoft just allow Obsidian to work on the new Fallout titles? Given that Bethesda is semi independent , does Microsoft actually have the authority to do this?

Have you heard of Black Isle Studios OP? Pretty crazy that now inXile, Obsidian, and Bethesda are all under the same parent company.

With Fallout, it's possible. But I wouldn't expect it for years. Obsidian is working on Outer Worlds DLC, Outer Worlds 2 (probably), Avowed, and Grounded + incubating other ideas. All of these run on Unreal Engine.

Meanwhile Bethesda is in the middle of Starfield and retooling their Creation Engine. Maybe towards the end of this decade we'll hear about Obsidian Fallout, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon personally.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
brings into question a lot of things. I could see 10 years from now all the wrpg studios merging together square + Enix style but all have pretty different cultures at this point, I'd imagine.

Then you're working under not only one umbrella (zeni/bethesda) but a bigger one

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
At the first all-hands meeting...

Obsidian to Bethesda: "Soooo...remember that time when we didn't get a bonus payment from you guys because we missed the Metacritic score by 1 point?"

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
They're all working together under an unprecedented acquisition and I'm sure they're all psyched to share ideas and / or personnel with the financial backing of Microsoft.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if these two even want to stand in the same buffet line at the next MS company picnic, let alone work on a new game together.

I do wonder how Avowed will be looked at against ES6 internally going forwards. Not like consumers will say no to two Skyrim like games within a few years apart from release anyhow.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Not sure if these two even want to stand in the same buffet line at the next MS company picnic, let alone work on a new game together.

I do wonder how Avowed will be looked at against ES6 internally going forwards. Not like consumers will say no to two Skyrim like games within a few years apart from release anyhow.
I feel pillars of eternity is a different enough world it can stand beside Fable and TES6 and be ok as long as there is some time apart from one another. Im really excited to just see more of XGS stuff now! Especially knowing Obsidian and BGS are sisters lol, cant wait to see what comes of it.