• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which era of the Ys series had the best games?

• Bump Combat (Ys I & II, Ys IV)

Votes: 40 11.1%
  • Action Game Jr. (Oath in Felghana, Origins, Ark of Napishtim)

Votes: 208 57.9%
  • Skill Spam (Seven, Memories of Celceta, Lacrimosa of Dana)

Votes: 106 29.5%
  • Something Weird (Wanderers from Ys, Kefin, Ys Strategy???)

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Ys 8 combat.

I don't understand the love for the combat in Origins, Felghana etc. The combat in those games were boring against mobs and frustrating against bosses. Really not fun.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
The action games. Ys Origin in particular being my favourite.

Modern Ys combat has essentially turned into just knowing when to perfect block/dodge. And while there's nothing wrong with this style of combat, there'sjust too may other games that do the exact same thing, and some are better at it than Ys is. Meanwhile the action ones are basically a perfect example of a style of gameplay you just dont see anymore.

I also liked how the old Ys games were short, 10 hour long affairs that generally encouraged replays, not the 40+ hour experiences padded with boring side quests.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Not a great judge. I've played the first, Origins and VIII. I didn't know how to play the first when I rented it and never got far and never played it again. VIII is an amazing game but I have to admit from a purely combat perspective I may like Origins better. I don't like the game Origins better, but I do like the simpler combat.

leesmapman

Oct 27, 2017
N52.160114 E4.497010
My favourite is probably the Ys 6/Felghana/Origin era, but I love all games. Musically, Ys 1&2 (and 3) are superior to any other Ys game.

This might be a stretch, but is the Ys 5 system not a slowed down and clunky Ys 6 in 2D?

OP
OP
EntelechyFuff

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Wow, this poll has been quite the blowout. Didn't expect that.

What does "action game jr." even mean?
I was trying to think of a term that brings to mind a "lite" version of Devil May Cry combat. There are combos and moves based on delayed inputs, etc. but it's not nearly as deep as those games.

This might be a stretch, but is the Ys 5 system not a slowed down and clunky Ys 6 in 2D?
I thought about this long and hard and actually agree. I opted to leave it out though because it seemed to drag down those other titles by association.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I still need to play a bunch of them but honestly there was something incredibly fun about Ys 1, in particular. 2 made it a bit too over-long but I'd love an indie game series that's like 3-4 hours of naught but bump combat. It's so satisfying.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I voted skill spam cause it's very satisfying to chain both the normal combo and skills with the right timing.
Also, I'd argue that even Origins use skills, albeit only three, it's not like they're so different (the main difference is more about the party system and whatnot)

Oct 27, 2017
Oath in Felghana remains to be the best Ys title of all-time. It's a shame it hasn't seen life outside of PC and PSP.

Yeah, it seems weird that Ys Origin has now been ported to pretty much everything, yet we haven't gotten either of the other two from that era on modern systems. I am ok with playing the PSP versions on my Vita, but it would be great to have higher resolution versions available outside of PC.

Action Game Jr. It's what got me into Ys in the first place (with Ys 6 on PS2), with Ys Origin being the pinnacle of that type of design.

But Lacrimosa is probably my favorite Ys game. I think they fixed a lot of the issues with Skill Spam/Party Switching that the previous two games didn't quite have. A couple more games like Lacrimosa, and I'll have to change my vote.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I finally started the import IX a couple nights ago. Been down on Ys since what this poll defines as the skill spam games.
I'm about 10 hours in and I'm liking it a lot more than VII, Celceta, VIII.

But the combat is still totally unbalanced skill spam. sigh. It's fun, but the combat in the older games was so much better. Modern Ys even on the highest difficulties is essentially a mash game outside bosses which are a just guard -> mash game.

I wish the combat was more like a faster paced Devil May Cry.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I went through Ark of Napishtim this year and I liked how simple and focused it was. Made for a great no frills experience.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's tough to be honest. I think skill spam is more interesting, but it feels balanced to use multiple characters and healing which is not something I like, and I try to avoid healing at all in combat as a result.

Action game Jr is probably the most consistent as a result and would be my pick here, but skill spam is so close to usurping it and flying super past it for me with just a few changes.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
8's the best game in the series so far so I'd go with that style but Oath is right behind it. But 7 and and Celceta aren't far behind those. Or Origins.

Man, Falcom just owns.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Oath, Origins, and Ark are some of the best times I've had playing games.

I'd buy any future Ys games in this style sight unseen.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's tough to be honest. I think skill spam is more interesting, but it feels balanced to use multiple characters and healing which is not something I like, and I try to avoid healing at all in combat as a result.

Action game Jr is probably the most consistent as a result and would be my pick here, but skill spam is so close to usurping it and flying super past it for me with just a few changes.
I wouldn't say it's balanced with healing in mind at all, it's just there as an option. Fights rarely go past 4 minutes long even on the hardest setting and healing items just cleave that time down even lower. Nothing wrong with using them and enjoying the game without having to worry about perfecting every second of a boss fight but the flash guard/dodge system makes you insanely strong specially in 8 when you get the flash dodge time extension item and you can go almost entire fights immune to damage if you can keep the timing of boss attacks down

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
VIII is my first Ys game and skill spam made me laugh. I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm like 35+ hours in. I'm not great at action games but there are so many skills that seem similar to me that I have very little investment in any of them and I'm just button mashing. It's still enjoyable, but the combat isn't as deep for me as I'm sure it is for others.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I feel like Skill Spam is not really accurate to explain the recent games... It's most like reaction gameplay IMO

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Skill Spam is not really accurate to explain the recent games... It's most like reaction gameplay IMO
Yeah, but it kinda depends on the difficulty too. On the lower settings flash guard and dodge are not really needed and if you toss healing items in the mix you can get by ignoring those mechanics pretty easily. So it's not hard to imagine people thinking about the skill use side more than the reaction side.

If you do everything though a fairly typical chain is dodge->guard->normal attack -> Skill two or three times. So it breaks it up a bit.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Yeah, but it kinda depends on the difficulty too. On the lower settings flash guard and dodge are not really needed and if you toss healing items in the mix you can get by ignoring those mechanics pretty easily. So it's not hard to imagine people thinking about the skill use side more than the reaction side.

I agree. Playing on Nightmare improves the experience of playing Ys games just as much as Death March improves The Witcher 3, with how both make you use everything at your disposal and really get all the game has to offer.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The worst offender in the series for stale gameplay probably belongs to Yunica in Origin though... The over reliance on the damn charged fire sword attack was painful.

Toal on the other hand has the best moveset from that era and one of the reasons I like Origin so much

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it's balanced with healing in mind at all, it's just there as an option. Fights rarely go past 4 minutes long even on the hardest setting and healing items just cleave that time down even lower. Nothing wrong with using them and enjoying the game without having to worry about perfecting every second of a boss fight but the flash guard/dodge system makes you insanely strong specially in 8 when you get the flash dodge time extension item and you can go almost entire fights immune to damage if you can keep the timing of boss attacks down

It definitely feels balanced around the three party member system/healing imo. It kind of sucks that you cant play it solo unless it's ng+

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely feels balanced around the three party member system/healing imo. It kind of sucks that you cant play it solo unless it's ng+
It's balanced around the 3 party system since enemies have type weaknesses and specific things about them that make certain movesets easier to handle them, but I fail to see how it's balanced around healing? I've beaten the entire game twice over now on inferno without using status recovery item/ food/ revives / heals, the first time was my blind play through. If a character died they died, if one got paralyzed I swap and so on. Recovery Items are not necessary, you might see the game over screen far more often but nothing wrong with that. It's an option you can use and that's fine but it's not a requirement.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Though I only ever finished one game from the Action Game jr era (Ark), I had more fun with it than the hours I put into the later Ys games.

I just never got into the party system of the later games.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's balanced around the 3 party system since enemies have type weaknesses and specific things about them that make certain movesets easier to handle them, but I fail to see how it's balanced around healing? I've beaten the entire game twice over now on inferno without using status recovery item/ food/ revives / heals, the first time was my blind play through. If a character died they died, if one got paralyzed I swap and so on. Recovery Items are not necessary, you might see the game over screen far more often but nothing wrong with that. It's an option you can use and that's fine but it's not a requirement.

Well the three party system was also something I disliked, and as far as doing something vs balanced for it. Oath isnt balanced for healing obviously and it's obvious to me the difference between that game and no healing and something like 8 with no healing.

There are a lot of games you can add penalties to yourself, that doesn't mean it's balanced for that imo.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I voted Action Game jr, but VIII was a huge improvement compared to Seven and Celceta so my opinion might change in the future.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well the three party system was also something I disliked, and as far as doing something vs balanced for it. Oath isnt balanced for healing obviously and it's obvious to me the difference between that game and no healing and something like 8 with no healing.

There are a lot of games you can add penalties to yourself, that doesn't mean it's balanced for that imo.
That's the other thing to me I never saw the party system as anything more than the elemental change from the older games just expanded on further, it's more move sets and tools but I never looked at it beyond "I'm not playing Ys now cause no Adol" Origin is my second favorite game dude is not even in it. (not counting the bonus modes)

If anyhing the one thing I would have them change is to get rid of the immunity granted by the flash system and just make it end current hitboxes

So say boss swipe has 20 active frames make it 0 as soon as you parry but force you to parry consecutive hits and then make it so flash dodge speed up does the same and it's used as a repositioning tool to strike down weakpoints easier or something. This way the boss fights can have some of their avoidance stuff brought back to some degree. Or go an extra mile make some attacks dodge or parry only and some attacks immune to that system

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's the other thing to me I never saw the party system as anything more than the elemental change from the older games just expanded on further, it's more move sets and tools but I never looked at it beyond "I'm not playing Ys now cause no Adol" Origin is my second favorite game dude is not even in it. (not counting the bonus modes)

It's more that the three party system basically gives you three chances to die. Not the switch in styles.

For instance, I don't mind the Dana section where she can just switch her styles as opposed to the three individual characters.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's more that the three party system basically gives you three chances to die. Not the switch in styles.

For instance, I don't mind the Dana section where she can just switch her styles as opposed to the three individual characters.
I mean you could just end the fight if a character dies, I dont like the healing items so I refuse to use them if you dont like the multiple chances dont use the multiple chances. Character swaping on death ends the immunity period for the second character then the third only takes about 5 seconds to die after that. So it might add a little bit of time on retries but its not the end of the world.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you could just end the fight if a character dies, I dont like the healing items so I refuse to use them if you dont like the multiple chances dont use the multiple chances. Character swaping on death ends the immunity period for the second character then the third only takes about 5 seconds to die after that. So it might add a little bit of time on retries but its not the end of the world.

... I'm sorry, but that's an incredibly dumb idea that would be really annoying personally to do in practice.

I didn't really want a solution to this. It's just that I'd personally like the game to shift to a mixture of something like 8 and oath instead of one or the other, but it's fine if they just continue from 8 as well.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
You "perfect guard" half the bosses in oath and origin once you get the element that lets you. The other half you run around just jumping over projectiles.

8 has my favorite boss in the series (dana's final boss), The only fights I like even remotely close to it is Chester 2 and the 2d plane doggo fight.

8 on inferno has some of the hardest bosses in the series, comically punishing levels of small mistakes costing an entire fight, just because they follow a universal ruleset doesn't magically make them easy
On inferno the flash system feels quite fair because you just get destroyed if you don't use it well lol.