• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah! I got the SDCC set too, got really lucky on the site the second day they offered it.

Kind of annoyed they turned around and made them available at Gamestop and are bringing them to other retailers now. I also got Shredder and Splinter, but Casey and disguised Raph are eluding me right now.

Price-wise I get it, but I'll never look down on stuff like reprints and stuff, because I know what it's like when I personally miss stuff I want and the troubles/extra expenses of having to get it. I will always support "having enough copies for fans that want it". Either way, the VHS packaging ended up being exclusive, and I much prefer that to how the Gamestop packs looked.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The craziest to me was the Toxic Avenger. He had an entire cartoon show despite being intentionally disturbing for adults (including a scene where they ran over a kid on a bicycle intentionally).

Toxic Avenger, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Robocop (!), Chuck Norris, Rambo (!!), Police Academy (!), toylines for Aliens, Predator and Terminator. You could also make an excellent case that stuff like Ghostbusters had no business being adapted to a kids show. And then you have stuff like a cartoon revolving around Mr. T hanging around teenaged gymnasts solving crimes.

Also, my favorite is the original Usagi Yojimbo figure (though I would've loved to get the 2017 version and just never found it).

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
basically anything NECA made is the best
tmnt-neca-sdcc2017-figureset9.jpg

322520648790-0_600.jpg

1670256590883-0_600.jpg

Shame NECA realized people enjoyed and wanted to buy more of these so they made the new ones impossible to find.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Recently, NECA's movie turtles are my gold standard.
SDCC-2018-TMNT-1990-Figures-015-928x483.jpg

In terms of classics? I have a few personal favorites:
cyber-samurai-ninja-turtles_1_a2295cb643dac5bb1fbe7db5bc35db09.jpg

wrmbl6yh3bd31.jpg

As for worst?...
party.jpg

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I did not know this was a thing. Going with "Mikey Meyers" because why make the fun loving turtle into the one who never speaks? At least draw some parallels here.

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
I had two I really loved that you could bend them and they'd do a flip. I think I had Leo who would backflip and Donatello who would sideflip. I played with them in the bath so much that the springs got rusty and they wouldn't flip anymore

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Best ones ...

The ones that do the backflip off their feet, the ones with the pizza launcher, and the caveman turtle set with matching Dinos.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of classics? I have a few personal favorites:
tmnt-ninja-turtles-cyber-samurai_1_b328adf2ad842fad06774248657402d6.jpg

wrmbl6yh3bd31.jpg
Had a few of these too. Awesome

Any one remember the ones where you opened the turtles and they had mini play sets in them?

also The ones that had a turtle and a dinosaur to ride. This almost caused a fight at Christmas once when I got it and my cousin didn't 😂

BigMack

Oct 27, 2017
Worst was this line of talking turtles figures where they had speaker shells that didnt look like their normal shells and you pulled this strip through it to hear a very robotic and crappy voice.

Best were the original 88 toys. Christmas that year I got a big box that had all the figures inside. Also loved the Movie Star Don, etc figures. 8 yr old me really got swept up into the merchandising of anything and everything TMNT 2 related

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the first post had some backfire, haha.

Those toys are badass.

I only had that Metalhead toy growing up. Had more K'Nex and Erector sets.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
jHeWWl91Ae4HYbvB0p1IQ4_uf38D_VUR2Oey-npJJOALKYuxQT9tWP9AEyRLrPRptAOIJPf_cgTxQq1nJpDk9kkf_wG0yORcUV56gCVYNGK4EgroyWNDgCmH4FI1Rnss2S3H4OyA52gPK8PTWcy5Fw

I had one of these as a kid where you could transform them into a normal turtle and then back into ninja turtle - think mine was Leonardo. Also had Rocksteady from this line. I LOVED those toys.

giphy.gif

...woah. Haven't seen or thought of that toy since I last played with it as a kid, crazy lol.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I look forward to when these 2 are released by NECA

Toy-Fair-2020-NECA-TMNT-055.jpg

I owned the originals that were great for the time, but it's time for an upgrade...

0f9184d19b9460718aacef2131c9dcbf.jpg

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I just want to share a quick TMNT story. When I was in 1st grade I was really into the turtles. Me and my friends loved to talk about, play with, and reenact turtle stuff. One day we decided to start a club. We were going to call ourselves the Slash Club based off evil turtle.
5105.jpg

So I went to the artistic kid in class and asked him if he could draw slash. He was honest and said that he could try but he wasn't so sure. He tried...it was ok for a 1st grader. Another boy overheard us talking about the slash club and drawing and stuff and chimes in "I can draw slash, it's not that hard." So we pulled out a sheet of that fat lined, cheap feeling, letter practice paper and told him to prove it. He took his pencil and literally drew a /.

I wanted all the original four. I had them all but my Leo was second hand from a garage sale and had an unmovable super glued leg.

I had the blimp and van but I would have rather had the tank. I screwed up the stickers on the van. 😖

I also wanted those transforming ones. The last ones I got were these armor popping ones. I cant really find a picture, but you'd squeeze their legs together and spring loaded armor would shoot from their shells.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone else have a "no weapons" policy at school? Like, you were allowed to bring turtles but couldn't bring any of the accessories? Most of the turtles I had were given to me from a family friend and had their weapons lost a long time ago.

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
Reading this thread I realized that I had most of these as a child. My parents were by no means rich, so they have really spoiled me holy shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Just coming here to say I'm salty as HELL I missed the NECA SDCC Musical Mutagen set today.

But hey I found MetalHead in Target today.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
The 2012 original four were really, really good, lots of nice little textures and detail in the sculpts. I was bummed that the rest of the line hewed a lot more closely to the flatter CG models of the show, although I didn't really like most of the other characters' redesigns for that fundamentally anyway, so it may not have mattered.
I remember playing catch with this figure with my friend next door... one of his back spikes hit the tip of my finger on a flubbed catch and I got a huge blood blister.

Oct 27, 2017
Not my pic but these are my favorite:
revoltech-tmnt22jg2.jpg

My favourites are the first ones for the 2012 series. Timeless:
Turtles+action.jpg

I'm more partial to the battle shell versions as they look closer to the show aesthetically (again, not my pic):
maxresdefault1nvjlv.jpg

I added their unique colored irises and pupils to my son's when I got them and they looked even better. Faded now, a bit.

Growing up, though? Man, the pictures here bring back memories... I loved the rubbery turtles posted earlier but I was just getting out of turtles at that time (that show was not good). The standard turtles were a classic and Casey Jones was an enviable and rare get. Lots of trading and trade backs when we were kids.