• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Weird to see P5 get so many mentions in this thread. Felt basically the same as 3 and 4 to me, out of place honorifics and all.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Best: Fire Emblem Three Houses and Shadows of Valentia
Worst: Fire Emblem Fates (Though it wasn't working with anything special)

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Since English is not my main language, Persona 5 is fine to me.

I understand the story flow too.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if the switch port cleaned this up abit?
It did. It's not perfect but they did take another pass at it. I'm not sure if any of the specific examples in this thread were fixed though, I just remember reading the loc team that did the second game went back to the first for the port
I've not noticed any improvements. My favorite part of the localization is that a lot of the text messages are almost unintelligible.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza 0
Trails in the Sky trilogy

I feel that the localization teams put their best into these games, and it really comes through. The writing in all of these was a pleasure to read, not a moment of stiff and awkward dialogue to be found.

fushi

Oct 26, 2017
The recent Yakuza localizations have been absolutely stellar, so much so that they actually improve on the original Japanese writing at times. Some of the hostess conversations are rather dry when translated literally, for example.

And my regards to whoever tried their best with the absolute garbage that Kojima wrote for Death Stranding. You did what you could and I respect that.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
...Am I the only one that kind of doesn't really like Dragon Quest 11's localization? Not that it's super terrible, but it doesn't totally land for me. They try to get creative with it by having regional accents, or having characters speaking in haiku or rhymes, and stuff like that... but it just comes off as awkward and unauthentic to me. I feel they didn't quite have the writing chops to pull it off what they were trying to do.

(Maybe it's just because I have a pet peeve about people trying to write haiku but not actually following what haiku are supposed to be like)

No, you're not the only one. Seen plenty of people who aren't fans of the regional accents and so forth (including me). I can't be certain specifically about XI, but I know in previous games the regional accents weren't in the original Japanese script and were added by the localisers. It's dumb and I wish they'd stop. Awful localisations.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
One of the worst is Princess Maker 3 and 5.They did not hire a translator proficient in English. Funny thing is that the fan translation of pm5 is how a professional translation should have been. They even subbed the opening FMV. Unfortunately the script is not compatible with steam version

May 13, 2019
No, you're not the only one. Seen plenty of people who aren't fans of the regional accents and so forth (including me). I can't be certain specifically about XI, but I know in previous games the regional accents weren't in the original Japanese script and were added by the localisers. It's dumb and I wish they'd stop. Awful localisations.
I recall reading something like that when I lurked at NeoGAF back then. One guy was raving about how the script of one Dragon Quest game was simple and to the point and how changing that to anything that was actually entertainment was wrong.

It is still the stupidest thing I've ever read regarding translations and makes me believe that all the charm of these games comes directly from the work of the localizations. Basically the same as Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I recall reading something like that when I lurked at NeoGAF back then. One guy was raving about how the script of one Dragon Quest game was simple and to the point and how changing that to anything that was actually entertainment was wrong.

It is still the stupidest thing I've ever read regarding translations and makes me believe that all the charm of these games comes directly from the work of the localizations. Basically the same as Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi.

Can't speak for the mario games but in the case of DQ I doubt it, the fan translations of V and VI and the official translation of VII on the PSX are all very entertaining. And none of them need to add a bunch of goofy regional dialects akin to 'allo 'allo to be charming games.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Dy5b57ZX0AE6yGb

I'll take actually readable text over charming everyday of the week
Thankfully they toned it down on the subsequent games last decade (but every single one still HAD to have some silly italian accent village).

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Best of the last decade? I'd put Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP) on top, and Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS) close behind.
Yeah, Tactics Ogre is at the top of the heap for me. Fantastic source material with just the right amount of flavour on top.

Crimson Shroud too. The Matsuno games over the years have paired perfectly with the sensibilities of Alexander O. Smith and Joseph Reeder.

EDIT: Virtue's Last Reward is also really underrated in this aspect too imo. There's tons of tics and very specific wordplay that they kind of ace bringing over and substituting with their own invention when it wouldn't make sense in English.

Last edited:

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
FF14 is easily one of the best. The parley between Varis and the Eorzean leaders was something to behold.

May 13, 2019
Dy5b57ZX0AE6yGb

I'll take actually readable text over charming everyday of the week
Thankfully they toned it down on the subsequent games last decade (but every single one still HAD to have some silly italian accent village).
I actually agree that Dragon Quest IV went overboard with the accents. it didn't bothered me THAT much, though, as it certainly compelled me to improve my English reading skills.

Aug 28, 2019
While perhaps not perfect, I really enjoyed the English script for Labyrinth of Refrain. It flows naturally, doesn't read like a typical translation, and even includes some little flourishes specifically for the English audience. It's a dark, emotional, and frequently unpleasant story, and the English version really carries that across.

Nov 3, 2017
Dragon Quest XI and Fire Emblem 3 Houses.

DQXI is absurdly charming the whole way through and FE3H done a great job of giving a huge cast instantly recognizable voices.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Death Stranding French localization/dub fixed the "Princess Beach" and "I'm Fragile but not that Fragile" lines. So it's great in my book.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I would say Yakuza 0's was the best. It has one of the best stories in the series, and the localization team came out swinging, setting a new gold standard for Yakuza localizations.

While I won't say the worst, the most disappointing was Castle Shikigami's. It deserved better.
I am happy they tried, though.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I love Three Houses, but naw. It's not bad by any means, it's quite good especially considering the enormous scale of the script, but some of the dialogue comes off as wooden -- a stark contrast to Shadows of Valentia's more colloquial localization, where everyone talked like a believably real person.

There are also a fair amount of translation errors that've been discovered in the months after release -- and not in the sense of "this isn't 1:1 with the Japanese!" (I usually prefer localizations being liberal for the script's betterment), but rather in the sense of bungling the tone / intent of lines, with a negative or contradictory effect on characterization.

One small example would be in the Cindered Shadows expansion, where the loc has Edelgard call her father "useless" in a conversation with Constance, when in JP Edelgard apologizes for her father's powerlessness, but has great love and empathy for him. The loc is unduly harsh.
You are ignoring the many times the licalization improved on things like the whole character of bernadetta
Bernadetta in japanese is just painful to listen

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Best: Fire Emblem Three Houses and Shadows of Valentia
Worst: Fire Emblem Fates (Though it wasn't working with anything special)
Fates localization was really good for the source material it had, nowhere near some examples here where the localization made the game worse

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Figured it was only a matter of time before you showed up, Mr. Party Pooper :p. Strongly disagree. I feel like the recent Dragon Quest localizations add a really charming vibe to it. It's like watching a great English dub of an anime that goes the extra mile with performances and script. I think the post above that compares them to the Mario and Luigi / Paper Mario games is spot on. It IS like that.

Yeah, in a perfect world, DQ wouldn't NEED to try so hard but it missed a whole generation of players and I think having that extra charming flair IS what the series needs to survive in the West. It HAS to work harder to make up for that lost time of having never been released in the West.

I'll definitely concede that IV tried way too hard with the whole accents thing. I still haven't played the modern official DQV, but thankfully newer games have reined it in.

Also for the record Zen Hero I think the whole thing with Hotto/Jipang and their Haiku speak is that they wanted to avoid really bad racist speak. Because having someone speak English with an Irish or Spanish accent is fine but trying to speak "Asian English" crosses a line.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
You are ignoring the many times the licalization improved on things like the whole character of bernadetta
Bernadetta in japanese is just painful to listen

I'm not ignoring anything. I said it's quite good overall—just not the best in series, let alone all time. It absolutely has improvements, but it also has various instances of wooden dialogue and inaccurate wording or tonal framing, some with unfortunate impact on characterization for even major characters, chiefly Edelgard and Dimitri.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head these are some of the best ones that I can remember atm:

Nier: Automata
Judgment (Yakuza series as a whole has had great localization since Y0 now that I think about it)
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (I really liked the English dub, I don't care what other say on this one lol)
Dragon Quest XI

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta give a shout out to Xenoblade 2 for the one-eyed monster scene, that's localisation perfection.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Figured it was only a matter of time before you showed up, Mr. Party Pooper :p. Strongly disagree. I feel like the recent Dragon Quest localizations add a really charming vibe to it. It's like watching a great English dub of an anime that goes the extra mile with performances and script. I think the post above that compares them to the Mario and Luigi / Paper Mario games is spot on. It IS like that.

Yeah, in a perfect world, DQ wouldn't NEED to try so hard but it missed a whole generation of players and I think having that extra charming flair IS what the series needs to survive in the West. It HAS to work harder to make up for that lost time of having never been released in the West.

I'll definitely concede that IV tried way too hard with the whole accents thing. I still haven't played the modern official DQV, but thankfully newer games have reined it in.

I mean, they've had the new localisation style since 2005. And the *only* mainline DQ game that has done really well is IX which Nintendo promoted HARD. I really don't think it makes a bit of difference either way.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not ignoring anything. I said it's quite good overall—just not the best in series, let alone all time. It absolutely has improvements, but it also has various instances of wooden dialogue and inaccurate wording or tonal framing, some with unfortunate impact on characterization for even major characters, chiefly Edelgard and Dimitri.
I don't see the wooden dialogue, specially compared to the japanese one that feels more tropey
There are some difference in wording but nothing that impacts much for me, even in cases it didn't the wording didn't land well you can see in the context what the character meant

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
The Asian English version of the Danmachi game that came out a few weeks ago is really bad, comparable to SAO Hollow Fragment or worse. Pqube is bringing it to the west with a new translation though, at least.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Judgment is a very impressive localization effort, with two separate scripts depending on which audio track you're using.

It's Judgment for me, as well. It's just so well done in every aspect and the quality of the localization team really shines through in tons of aspects. I thought it would be weird to walk around Kamurocho and hear characters speaking in English, but it ended up being so well done.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I got the platinum in Ys 8 with the terrible initial script. I can't believe how bad it is.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Uta Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth are the gold standards in a good localization. Fantastic scripts that read very well in english and really know how to deliver on both the excellent comedy and the really heartfelt moments. Definitely the best localization of any Atlus game I've played. XSEED localizations in general are almost always very high quality (I personally can't think of any recent examples that aren't). SEGA localizations seem pretty fantastic as well, looking at Yakuza, Judgement, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Ys 8 is ofc one of the top examples of the worst, being so notoriously bad the president had to issue an apology and promise to relocalize the entire game. The new localization, while nothing special as I'm playing through it now, is solid enough though. They definitely could've done a better job giving it the flavor XSEED does, but it's a dead horse by now.

While perhaps not perfect, I really enjoyed the English script for Labyrinth of Refrain. It flows naturally, doesn't read like a typical translation, and even includes some little flourishes specifically for the English audience. It's a dark, emotional, and frequently unpleasant story, and the English version really carries that across.

I always hear of this game being one of the best NISA localizations, and one of their better recent games in general. I'm definitely keen to give it a look next time it's on sale.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it's the worst because it is probably some niche Japanese game that have the literal worst localization....

But I never have seen such a Trainwreck of a localization of a game that was YsVIII it makes even worse is that they were trying to ignore and cover the complaints, only when the news of the huge backlash arrived in Japan and surprised Falcon (thus threatening the partnership) they took the blame and redid the entire script and dub.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Echoing the translations for Dragon Quest XI, Xenoblade 2, and Fire Emblem Three Houses.

While it can't compare to the machine translated nightmares posted already, the Steam version of Final Fantasy V and VI got french translations which a friend of my (whom French Canadian) streamed those games from start to finish and quickly found out how awful those translation were. Like originally those games were gifted to him due to the awful graphics the steam version, but quickly found out the newly made French translation was just as bad.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd agree with Judgment being up there - I was super hesitant about it getting a dub, but they nailed it perfectly, outside of a few NPCs still having stock Japanese "grunts" as it were. I'm hoping Like a Dragon gets the same treatment, even if it'll be very odd to hear Kiryu speak in English.

Also FWIW I wouldn't say Persona 5 is anywhere near the worst, not when you have lifeless translation jobs like Cyber Sleuth out there. It's definitely weaker than the games that preceded it, mind.

One of the worst I've actually played has to be that one game by the creator of Hotel Dusk that was released on the 3DS eShop. It's another one of those examples that proves localization > straight translation, because boy was it boring.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
I was watching the Dragon Quest movie last night. One character asked another if he was alright. He replied "Yes blah blah blah" but the subtitles said "No blah blah blah". How could they mess this up?!? I stopped watching after that.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Why is "played us like a damn fiddle" bad localization? This is not an uncommon idiom in English.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Tales of Hearts is pretty bad, as they made the decision to not have a dub track, meaning the new names they gave the characters are literally never said by the Japanese cast. That's just the start, however.
I think that's where it ends in terms of lacking localization. The rest of the game seemed on par with other Tales localizations, sans dubbing. The Kor thing stands out because it's the only name that got changed that way and since it's an anime game, they say his name a lot.

... oh, I guess without dubbing the battle dialogue doesn't get translated. Which is a bummer, those are pretty cool in Tales.
Weird to see P5 get so many mentions in this thread. Felt basically the same as 3 and 4 to me, out of place honorifics and all.
Man, I'm with you on that. Not seeing the big discrepancy between P3/P4 and P5. Reading people's complaints, feels like they felt it was too stilted? But it came across as vibrant and lively as ever to me. Especially not something on par with the other examples of careless translation in the thread. Comes off more as having a bone to pick with P5 in particular.
I was watching the Dragon Quest movie last night. One character asked another if he was alright. He replied "Yes blah blah blah" but the subtitles said "No blah blah blah". How could they mess this up?!? I stopped watching after that.
Man, I'm willing to stan Netflix holding onto their Japanese content in order to dub them, but this aspect is frustrating to me. The subtitles are always the more literal Japanese version and don't match the English version, which is distracting. Wish they had two subtitle tracks but I dunno how difficult it would be to implement.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Dragon Ball Fusion's localization was pretty bad. Text going out of bound, some skill descriptions being senseless alongside some complete out of context translations (like referencing several characters by the wrong gender). For some reason they also decided they had to censor the violence, replacing all swords with wooden sticks with almost inaudible sound effects upon hit... (meanwhile, they still kept the fairly realistic gun used by Satan and a few other characters).

Last edited:

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Hearts is pretty bad, as they made the decision to not have a dub track, meaning the new names they gave the characters are literally never said by the Japanese cast. That's just the start, however.
Hearts actually had a really solid 8-4 localization, apart from the name stuff.
2014-11-14-193604.jpg

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Splatoon 1 and 2 both had great NA localizations. I realize they're a little controversial for the liberties they take with the source material (DJ Octavio is much more serious in the Japanese script), but the localizations are excellent with their humor and tone, and I don't think Splatoon would be as popular without that.