• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I think Chik-fil-a rocketing into the stratosphere in terms of popularity would definitely count... this and chipotle are definitely of the 2010s (worst food trends).

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
IPA

Look I hate IPA - least subtle food trend since garlic

But entire brewpubs with forty taps and they're ALL IPA!?!! Including the "hoppy lager?"

Stop

Make more challenging complex beers you choads
This. Fuck outta here with shampoo beers.

Also, leave quinoa alone. Kale deserves the ire. How anyone enjoys eating shaved scrub brush is completely beyond me.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Best: ethnic cuisine exploding in popularity. Living in the suburbs and getting doner, pho, ramen and boba tea is pretty neat.
Worst: see above. In the sense that these foods that people found so exotic and new have been around a long time and now these restaurants and establishments are being opened up by rich Americans as investments and not as a proud cultural mom and pop restaurant. They even all look the same with cheap interior design from ikea and pallet wood that screams gentrification. And too many puns.(pho-natic)

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Best: ethnic cuisine exploding in popularity. Living in the suburbs and getting doner, pho, ramen and boba tea is pretty neat.
Worst: see above. In the sense that these foods that people found so exotic and new have been around a long time and now these restaurants and establishments are being opened up by rich Americans as investments and not as a proud cultural mom and pop restaurant. They even all look the same with cheap interior design from ikea and pallet wood that screams gentrification. And too many puns.(pho-natic)

yep. this is it.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worst by a country mile
What they call "french tacos" here. Basically a kebab and more disgusting shit in some kinda fake taco bread, grilled. Disgusting.
Every fucking kebab store rebranded itself selling those now

13266062_961597540620356_5502756354418858445_n.jpg

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
sriracha is dead like disco baby

but i like the explosion of hot sauce popularity, i think spicy food needs to be bigger in the world

also personal preference here but artisan burgers are fucking dumb, putting more stuff on a regular ass burger sandwich has never made it any better

you should only allowed to put cheese, one condiment and two toppings on. THAT'S THE LIMIT

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Best: Much extended beer and cider selection in bars and supermarkets, more varied fast food/fast casual options

Worst: Flood of generic ovepriced chain coffee shops

Sep 27, 2019
Avocado toast is good, but not worth a fraction of what most places charge for it. I'm all for the craft beer movement.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Worst.

Vitamix green smoothies.
I mean, nothing wrong with green smoothies. But I know people who buy spinach every week and have never had cooked spinach. What a waste to just use it as a drink.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
"Simple ingredients" used for foods that aren't complex in the first place, or that wheat is the first one. Yes, those potato chips are simple, but ain't healthy for you

OP
OP
whatsinaname

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I think will die out is the mail order meal kits e.g. Hello Fresh and Blue Apron.

(Though buying pre-prepped and pre-portioned ingredients might stick around, I've seen them being offered now in places like Whole Foods and Plum Market).

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
A great food trend that has occurred specifically in my neck of the woods is a dramatic increase in the number of restaurants serving Indian pizza and restaurants serving Ethiopian cuisine.

In terms of bad trends, really not a big fan of Instagram-influenced menus. Things that are meant to be so sugar-laden, so OTT, so ridiculous that people have to post them. Things like massive milkshakes, giant pizza slices, pho pizza, etc. it's gimmicky and just kinda shit.

Where are you from? I had an appointment on Friday, and I was in a new area. I wanted to see what kind of restaurants were in the general area and I think the top 5 or 6 were Ethiopian.

Red_V2

Oct 25, 2017
People adding an inedible amount of cheese to everything. Those ass Instagram food accounts add like 2 pounds of cheese for no reason.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are you from? I had an appointment on Friday, and I was in a new area. I wanted to see what kind of restaurants were in the general area and I think the top 5 or 6 were Ethiopian.
San Francisco Bay Area.

Quite a few Ethiopian restaurants have popped up here in the past couple years. However, That is nothing compared to how many Indian pizza shops have sprung up. In my neck of the woods, there's at least three of them to one Dominos and one Pizza Hut.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
San Francisco Bay Area.

Quite a few Ethiopian restaurants have popped up here in the past couple years. However, That is nothing compared to how many Indian pizza shops have sprung up. In my neck of the woods, there's at least three of them to one Dominos and one Pizza Hut.

I was in Seattle. We have one Indian pizza place here that I know of. But in Seattle proper there's probably a lot more.

I don't think I've ever had Indian food, and I'm afraid to give it a try. I don't think I like curry which is a bummer since so many cuisines use it, and the people who like it seem to love it.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the worst thing I ate in the last decade was that black bun halloween whopper that turned my poop into an alarming shade of green.

Oct 29, 2017
All these microbreweries popping up with their very own brand of nasty-ass IPA. From now till doomsday I don't think I'll ever shy away from Spotted Cow.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
A great food trend that has occurred specifically in my neck of the woods is a dramatic increase in the number of restaurants serving Indian pizza and restaurants serving Ethiopian cuisine.

In terms of bad trends, really not a big fan of Instagram-influenced menus. Things that are meant to be so sugar-laden, so OTT, so ridiculous that people have to post them. Things like massive milkshakes, giant pizza slices, pho pizza, etc. it's gimmicky and just kinda shit.
...pho pizza?

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Best: Craft beer and allergen labeling
Worst: Food put into a bowl in a fast casual place

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Best: the cuisine/foodie fad rages on and on, especially food truck festivals being everywhere these days.
Worst: the high prices associated with even basic dishes has gone insane, especially the cost at food trucks.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Best: Meat alternatives which increase funding into better tasting and more sustainable solutions.
Worst: Organic / "Non-GMO" mindsets built on fear and lack of information.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm absolutely not an adventurous eater because all I care about with food is not getting bloated and not getting reflux

But

Acai bowls taste like shit

I agree with the poster that mentioned poke

And ramen and pho aren't a "trend" but they're so boring and mediocre and unappealing-looking (IMO of course) that I don't understand how anyone can crave that stuff tbh