• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
From that list:
www.giantbomb.com

Box Art Clichés: Guys-with-guns Edition

Because there are only so many ways you can pose with a gun:Stock PoseNumber of OccurrencesThe Oscar Mike - You've got places to go and faces to shoot

I liked LA Noire, Stranglehold, From Russia With Love, ODST...
1841793-box_frwl.png

In terms of bad: Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect 3, Deus Ex IW, Uncharted 1/3...

Such a boss.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Displeasing? Nay. Just very trite.

A complaint I can never get behind. There can be bad orange and blue posters as well as good ones. To me it's like saying "At least this salty dish isn't sweet, because there are too many foods that are already sweet".

To me it's a non-factor in gauging the quality of a box art. Not to say color isn't important and can't be used in striking ways, but it's just such a broad thing to dislike vs complaining about particular poses or compositions (Chin Down, Eyes Up/ Woman Character With Butt Facing The Viewer)

like idk, is this poster bad because it's blue and orange?

wonder-woman-2017-5.jpg

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
The Doom reboot has got to be one of the worst. It's freaking Doom and the cover doesn't even show any demons, just another burly space marine. You'd think it was Halo.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is a good one. Just look at BJ, he's tired of this shit.

81XmAScyZ-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yeah, I think this is a pretty good one. I haven't played it, but from this image, I think it says a lot about the main character. His posture, expression, the pile of helmets, it gives the impression that he just had a crazy gunfight that he really didn't want to have. He looks resigned and tired. Don't know how accurate it is, but I like the atmosphere it evokes.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, I think this is a pretty good one. I haven't played it, but from this image, I think it says a lot about the main character. His posture, expression, the pile of helmets, it gives the impression that he just had a crazy gunfight that he really didn't want to have. He looks resigned and tired. Don't know how accurate it is, but I like the atmosphere it evokes.
Yeah I love it for that reason alone. You can tell BJ is getting tired of fighting the Nazis, especially considering he had twins on the way, but someone's gotta create a better world for them. I feel like this aspect of his character wasn't really explored until TNO and now TNC.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Still love the CE cover.
2550125-haloce.jpg

Worst is probably Bioshock Infinite although I like the game itself.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
sHGOGWH.jpg

what's up mother-fuckers. this dude who plays drums in a P.O.D. cover band is going to fucking shoot you and also osama bin laden in the face, and he's turned his future gun sideways. bitch

My brain thankfully had purged this from memory but you less thankfully have restored it! What a misread on the tone of that series.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
persona-5-scramble-the-phantom-strikers-switch-cover.jpg

Great art with the sole exception being Joker's little nubbin gun arm that's holding a PNG of a pistol at an awkward angle

at least Haru is kicking Ryuji in the face back there

this was actually better than the original design where he looked like he was running with a surfboard

i9gbLrA.jpg

Outside of the gun surfboard and Shepard pulling the Dreamworks face, I actually prefer this box-art

boy you can sure tell what they were trying to do with Miranda though

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
This is aesthetically pleasing, it's melancholic, it captures the overall feeling of the game (at least for me)

jaquette-mass-effect-2-pc-cover-avant-g.jpg

This is trash
590db4b1ae653a80f97d60d7

This is Ultra Trash
mass-effect-andromeda-cover.jpg

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
after looking through the thread, I'm gonna say 2077 has the lamest, most uninspired box art of all time, hundo percent no questione