• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Why do so many people split disc and digital games? What is the point? A game is a game right?

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I have the following folders:

PlayStation exclusives
3rd party Western
3rd party Japan
Indies
VR
Multiplayer

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
backlog
multiplayer
services/apps
and the rest are split up by genre like RPG and side-scroller
and then I keep new games I'm currently playing outside of a folder.
So when I'm done with Ni No Kuni II I'll put it in the RPG folder

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I've got mine all over the place:

RPG
Shooter
Adventure
Puzzle
Survival
Arcade
Sidescolling
Sports/Racing
Souls
Horror
Resident Evil
PS2
Final Fantasy

It gets tricky when they fit in multiple folders, like PS2 RPG etc.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
In order of hierarchy:

Fighters
Arcade Classics Archive (ACA)
System Stuff (anything that's a system app and can be moved, like the headset app, spotify, pandora, sharefactory, etc)
External Drive (anything I have stored on my external, since I moved most of my games to a 1TB external and swapped a 500GB SSD into the the system. This way if I detach the drive I don't have a billion "missing" game entries on the menu)

Living room is mostly the same with an added PSVR to the top of the list. I'm REALLY happy with the folder implementation on the PS4 over the PS3. That thing was a giant PITA to sort things with. I'm also hoping to be able to add a PS1/PSP/PS2/whatever folder some time.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
I have

Pro optimised
Backlog
PSVR
PS2
Sport
Indie

But generally I'm pissed off they went with folders and not tagging, as I'd like some games on multiple categories.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I have one folder for games. Seems silly to make multiple folders.

I also have one folder on my android phone for all apps/games.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just two game folders for me: disc and digital. I don't have a need to separate them out more than that.

For the guy who asked why separate them into those two categories, it's because (for me) the ones in the "disc" category are full-length games, and the ones in the "digital" category are mostly shorter games. Also of course, you access them differently -- the disc games require a disc, and the digital games don't.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I have something like

- Discs
- Downloaded
- PS+
- Demos
- Utilities

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
Only three folders:
Playstation - contains TV&Media, Spotify, Vue, etc.
PSVR - PSVR games and experiences sorted by how often it is played
Soundtracks - Various OSTs that were received as pre-order bonuses

Everything else isn't in a folder and just sorted based on last played....or in the library.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
I just do Discs, Digitial, and PS Plus Games (being able to differentiate between digital and what came from my PS Plus sub is nice, especially since I don't always have PS Plus active).

OP
OP
Necron

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

Game Discs
Digital or PSN
PSVR
PS+
PS2 Classics
Apps

Put the games you haven't finished first and the completed last.

I think I'll go with this and add a PlayLink folder. This way, most of my indie titles are in the PSN/Digital folder. It also helps find which games I can easily access via remote play and which require the discs to play.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
I tend to do it by genre, with a separate folder for completed games, 'rarities' (PT, FFXV platinum demo) and apps.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I just have :
- Games
- Demos
- Apps

All my games are jut in one folder. I don't have too many though so it's okay.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
For me:
  • Currently Playing - folder that includes whatever I am actively engaging with, usually only has up to 5 games
  • Games - Every other game that is installed on my PS4 right now, disc or digital, doesn't matter
  • PSVR - Games or apps that I only ever play in VR. Games like Wipeout and Resident Evil VII are either in Currently Playing or Library and never in PSVR folder because there's still a chance I play the non-VR modes; contrarily, I keep Rez Infinite and Thumper in this folder because I feel that they're absolutely definitive when played in PSVR and I don't engage with them in the standard screen format. I play my PSVR infrequently, so none of these ever get moved to Currently Playing and they always stay in this dedicated folder, plus many of them just outright can't be played outside of PSVR anyway.
  • Capture and Share - folder for all of the Share and editing apps, like ShareFactory and I think my Capture Gallery app?
  • Media - folder for all the media apps I use, like Netflix, YouTube, Twitch, Spotify
  • Unused Apps - All of the forced install stuff I never use
Since I keep demos on a temporary basis, I don't really sort them into folders. I think Currently Playing is a good place to toss them if you absolutely need to keep your PS4 dash down to only folders -- I don't think I'd create a separate Demo folder, personally.

I sort every single folder alpha-numerically, too.

Last edited:

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I just have Current, Main Backlog, Indie Backlog, Remaster Backlog, Classics Backlog (Ps1 and ps2 ports). Works well for me.

I'm all digital with a 4tb external 3/4 full.

enigma88

Oct 28, 2017
I usually keep the few games I'm currently playing not in a folder, I like to see their big icons on the dashboard.

For the rest I have in these 4 folders:
  • Games
  • Multiplayer
  • Archived
  • Apps

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I do it by month and I stick to that schedule. So far it has worked great in clearing my backlog.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
- Apps (Video, Spotify, Sharefactory and everything else that isn't a game)
- Retail (boxed games that need the disc)
- Digital (everything bought in the PSN store)
- VR (all VR games)
- PS+ (PS+ games)

works fine for me.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Digital
Physical
Arcade - Rocket League, Super stardust ultra, Drive Club etc.
PS Apps (excluding Captures)

Changed yesterday to:
A - Current 10-20-ish games I should concentrate on some more. Almost only 9/10 games or games I'm interested in for the moment
B - The rest I may come back to later (Alien Isolation is to scarry) and not 9/10 games.
Arcade - See above
PS Apps (Excluding captures)

I take out games I'm currently playing from the folders. I also try to organize the more interesting games to the far left in the folders

Since I have mostly managed to get rid of all physical versions I felt I could delete that Physical folder. It also sounds stupid. Discs is maybe a better name ;)
Fortunately there's a disc icon on physical versions so I know.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I got three folders that are extremely helpful in tackling my backlog.

- Ongoing (Multiplayer titles, games that can be indefinitely played e.g Hitman or Monster Hunter)
- In-Progress (Games I am playing or need to play)
- Completed (Games I've finished but don't want to delete for whatever reason e.g. trophies/pics)

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I stopped using folders since they added a shortcut which by hitting L1 or R1 moves you to the far left or right. I just go into the library most of the time.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
My folders:

- Disc (self-explanatory, but these are all PS4 or console exclusives, I don't really buy any multiplat games on PS4)
- Digital (mostly stuff from smaller studios like Housemarque, Supergiant, and Arrowhead, but also Diablo III)
- Remastered (digital PS3/Vita remasters)
- Horror (eventually had enough of these to put in their own folder)
- Final Fantasy (yeah)
- Services (all of Sony's useless bloatware that I'm not allowed to remove)

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I have a 4TB drive.

Disc
DL
PSVR

That's all I have ever used.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I have a "New" folder for games I've purchased over the past 3-6 months or for games I haven't played yet. Older games go in "Games". Indie games go in an Indie folder. PS Plus games go in a Plus folder. Demos go in a demos folder.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I'm not sure about the current state but wouldn't it be nice if your physical discs pop up in the main menu so you dont need to go to the folder?

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine are: Shooter, Adventure, Action, Racing, Fighting, Horror, VR, Exclusives, Naughty Dog, Media, and PlayStation.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I used to do it by Indies / non Indies/ everything else.

Now however I do it by most played / need to play. This is to remind me of my massive backlog of games.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I did

PS4 retail games (i.e. the full size games, whether they were disk or download that were current generation)
Digital Download Only (games that were only released digitally by a regular publisher)
Indie Games
PS2 classics
HD Remakes and Remasters
Arcade and Classic games
Demos
Sports and Puzzle games

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I have folders for
New Games (stuff I currently play or is on my backlog)
MP Games (fighting games, MMOs, shooters)
Old games (games that I've already beaten but want to keep around for whatever reason)
PS Plus games (Ps Plus backlog)