• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
other than buying a PS1 and PS2 obviously

if i remember correctly there was a specific PS3 model with full b/c? what's my best option here

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The first PS3 model has full bc, but I think it's easier and cheaper to get a PS2.

Other than that, emulation is the best option, PS1 is near perfect and PS2 is good enough for most games.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The best option is emulation. Finding a PS3 with bc nowadays is probably going to be difficult and most likely expensive as well. Even if your PC doesn't have a disc reader, you can easily find an external DVD drive to dump your games.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
There is the backward compat PS3, but most of those models are going to be very old and probably quite pricey.

i would say if you have the discs just get the PCSX2 Emulator, or an original console if you want the genuine experience.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
PS1 games look best on a Vita IMHO. And they become portable.

First generation of Ps3 consoles (fat) had backward comp. But they are pretty faulty and probably expensive by now. A PS2 is probably cheaper. A modded PS2 to play games from all regions gives you a bigger library.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Retroarch has PS1 and PS2 Emulation right? so maybe a Series S lol

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I think you need to be more specific. If you want to play the best way you should buy a PS2 and a CRT TV and the original games (or burned CDs and DVDs.

If you want an HDMI console to do that, you can use a BC Fat PS3. Or a PS3 Slim for PS1 and some PSN PS2 games (and remasters for PS3).

But if you want to emulate, any PC can do.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Hacked PS1 Classic, also all the other models of PS3 play PS1 games.

Buy a PS2 and get the PS2 to HDMI dongle.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
If you want to play those on console you have Retroarch on Series X/S, if not PC with PCSX2 (PS2) and Duckstation (PS1) or Retroarch on PC.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Emulators on PC would be the simplest and best way.
You can play physical ps1 games on any ps3 but need a bc model for ps2.
I've tried a few ps2 games on my hacked slim ps3 to mixed results.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
PCSX2 in software mode. In Retroarch, you can slap a CRT filter on it. If it's emulated well, you can get higher resolutions than normal. PSone emulation is basically perfect.

Other than that, a real PS2 with Retrotink 5x.

SuperKlonoa'sArk3D

alt account
Banned
Jun 15, 2021
Mednafen and PCSX2 respectively.

Alternatively, a PS3 or Vita for PS1 games and PS3 Phat for PS2 games (a couple hundred PS2 games on slim via PSN too). Plenty of good PS2 HD remasters on PS3 too (with not so good Vita ports)

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
PS3 is "best" but comes with the caveat of the correct model being expensive and prone to issues.

Next best would be a PS2 slim, not sure what the prices are these days but reliable, you lose the HD though.

Next is emulation. Pretty solid for PS1 on a wide variety of devices and PS2 is pretty good I think on a PC at least.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I use the paid version of xPSXe on my Kishi/Android setup for PS1 games. Everything I've tried works flawlessly in Full HD/60FPS.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
If you want to play on hardware, beyond just buying those systems the OG PS3 model is really the only other option. That said, those things can get relatively pricey these days, and have decently high failure rates on top of that if you are able to find one.

If anything's on the table, then emulation is simply the way to go. PS1 emulation runs near flawlessly on a whole slew of devices at this point, and if you've got a decent PC/laptop, you can play a lot of stuff without issue using PCSX2.

Oct 28, 2017
I got the urge to play some PS2 games, and ordered a cheap SCART to HDMI converter, but the picture quality is just terrible. I guess more expensive variants are better? Perhaps I should have gotten that dedicated converter for the PS2 instead?

SuperKlonoa'sArk3D

alt account
Banned
Jun 15, 2021
- PS2
- CRT
- Basement
- Framed picture of Jim Ryan (who judges you for playing old games)
basement.png

Oct 27, 2017
I use a Ps2 slim with component cables and a Samsung monitor TV that supports 240p for Ps1 games. It looks good enough.

I also tried emulation but Ps2 emulation is still not accurate enough for many games. Ps3 fat is way too big and they feel prone to easily break.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
For PS1, emulators by far. Mednafen/Beetle in Retroarch or Duckstation.

For PS2, depending on the game, I'm going to say emulators. But in general, it'd probably be a PS3 fat.

PS3 Fat>PCSX2>Jailbroken PS4>PS3 with emulated BC≥Modded PS2 with a hard drive, progressive scan cheats, and an HDMI port>Regular PS2

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For PS1 games on the PSN, the Vita's the best - portable and the smaller screen helps to hide the low tech issues. There's a lot of great stuff there - FF7-9, Xenogears, Grandia, Breath of Fire 4 (BoF3 has a PSP port you can also play on the Vita), the Resident Evils, etc.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
For PS1 its on a PS1 with a PS1Digital installed. With PS2 it'll eventually be a PS2 with a PS2Digital installed. Until that time I'd say its component cables to either a Framemeister or a Retrotink5X.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best way to play PS1 games is on a PS Vita. CFW ensures you can play any PS1 game, not just the ones on PSN.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Original hardware + CRT

Alternatively: Mednafen downsampled to the original's console resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.