• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Im into hip hop and I've been putting chopped up samples to beats using my beloved Pocket Operator KO, but I want to be able to add basslines, but I don't really know about scales. Can anyone recommend a good approach or online tutorials? I'm not really planning to play an instrument in real time, but I'd like to be able to play good melodies along with my samples. I can count beats, I know concepts such as octaves and some of the very basic stuff, but I want to be able to code extra notes in.

Thanks in advance.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, now I'm buying this.

Even the world's, by far, most annoying man got me to like it. Crazy:

On topic, I would pick up a bass, guitar, or piano(keyboard) and dabble. No need to break the bank.

Edit* Any of those can be had for under 100 for something even half-decent.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
There are tons of resources online. Personally, I like Andrew Huang.

www.youtube.com

Learn music theory in half an hour.

20 more lessons like this about music production, songwriting, mixing, mastering, and more: http://learnmonthly.com/andrewSubscribe → http://bit.ly/subAndrew...

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I like the Ableton Live music theory tutorials over here. They're aimed explicitly at making modern music rather than playing or studying it, don't require knowledge of sheet music, and give a decent if brief overview of the most common topics. Plus, they're interactive, which really helps with understanding the material.

For youtube, I like this channel (particularly the linked playlist). It focuses more on harmony (chords) rather than melody.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
OP - two excellent resources come to mind.

1. musictheory.net - will guide you step by step through basic music theory concepts, with interactive examples and knowledge checks. Can also be downloaded as an app.

2. This online music theory textbook - also begins with basic concepts, includes commentary and examples from actual songs. It is a bit more technical, but very thorough.

I also suggest getting some kind of keyboard to develop some basic keyboarding skills. It will help greatly with learning theory.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Seconding musictheory.net. Drill the basics now, it will pay off big time later.

Jimmygiggler

Apr 28, 2020
In my opinion it's easiest to learn theory on a piano or keyboard because everything is visually laid out and makes intuitive sense. Other than that find a cheap online course or book of theory basics. Even learning the basics will give you plenty to work with musically.

OP
OP

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018

Yeah, this man appears to smoke a spliff before breakfast.
I like my Pocket Operator KO, but it is a bit of a toy. Great for the price though.

www.youtube.com

20 more lessons like this about music production, songwriting, mixing, mastering, and more: http://learnmonthly.com/andrewSubscribe → http://bit.ly/subAndrew...
I'm aware of Andrew Huang, but I wasn't aware of this video, so thanks.

OP - two excellent resources come to mind.

1. musictheory.net - will guide you step by step through basic music theory concepts, with interactive examples and knowledge checks. Can also be downloaded as an app.

2. This online music theory textbook - also begins with basic concepts, includes commentary and examples from actual songs. It is a bit more technical, but very thorough.

I also suggest getting some kind of keyboard to develop some basic keyboarding skills. It will help greatly with learning theory.
I'll check these out for sure.

I spent today trying to chop/slice samples in Dreams on PS4. That is NOT intuitive, and there's no real tutorials online atm.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
I'm actually trying to get into classical music more, but I want to analyze it better. I'm looking through Google right now, but in case I miss anything, does anyone know any good places to start?

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Another vote for Andrew Huang from here but this kinda small channel is also pretty neat. Even tho the channel is called "David Bennet Piano" he's mostly explaining specific details about music theory like special rhytms, the art of word painting or common ways how songs get composed without beeing focused on the piano:

But I think that the best way is to learn some kind of instrument, preferably the piano or guitar. Beeing able to play an (cheap ~$100) instrument on a basic level (no lessons required - youtube tutorials are sufficient) gives you a better feeling for the theory stuff and you'll notice many similarities between songs like combination of notes and scales or chord progressions. You'll basically be able to take elements from other songs and use them on your own stuff without even realizing at first that there's some theory behind it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018

www.youtube.com

This video has been my first port of call. This video is an amazingly efficient, tight summary of some fundamentals. I'm Keanu opening his eyes and going "I know Kung Fu"..... Kind of.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I found theory a bit hard to understand by myself. I had to piece things together, actually work at it! It is pretty satisfying thinking about it.....

Learn the major scales first because basically everything is from it. Minor scale is the major scale except.....Modes are major scales except......chord progressions follow the scales....the major scale is the foundation. You can't really understand an Am chord (with a flat 3) until you understand the A is made of I - iii - V (A - C# - E)

Also important is to play and listen, and then you really understand why I - IV - V chords make a great progression. It sounds good. Theory becomes real.
(Key of G = I - IV - V is G - C - D)

OP
OP

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018

On topic, I would pick up a bass, guitar, or piano(keyboard) and dabble. No need to break the bank.

Edit* Any of those can be had for under 100 for something even half-decent.

Here's someone way cooler (but you wouldnt know it from that thumbnail) Showing the strengths of the device. If you do order one, let me know how you do.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Here's someone way cooler (but you wouldnt know it from that thumbnail) Showing the strengths of the device. If you do order one, let me know how you do.

I am seriously considering it.

And yeah, YT thumbnails are trash. If it has a shit thumbnail, I just don't. Only if personally recommended! Thanks!!

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually trying to get into classical music more, but I want to analyze it better. I'm looking through Google right now, but in case I miss anything, does anyone know any good places to start?
What is your current foundation of knowledge? Like, can you read chord symbols? Can you spell chords? Are you able to do any sort of Schenkerian analysis? etc etc.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Here are two YouTube channels that I found really helpful when learning about music theory (scales/modes/intervals/chords/time signatures/etc):

Signals Music Studio (guitar focused)
Michael New (piano focused)
I'd definitely echo the recommendation for Signals Music Studio. As a self-taught guitar player, music theory usually goes over my head but his easy-to-digest videos have been borderline revelatory for me. Great channel.