• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best villain in Star Trek?

• Khan

Votes: 61 18.6%
  • The Borg

Votes: 82 25.0%
  • Q

Votes: 53 16.2%
  • General Chang

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Gul Dukat

Votes: 98 29.9%
  • The Dominion

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Lore

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Khan Noonien Singh

khan-noonien-singh-f177c84a-d851-4d2d-b18b-a252004de44-resize-750.jpeg

The Borg

borg.jpg

Q

latest

General Chang

images

Gul Dukat

7197472aed05a511810954552d1afbef--start-trek-starship-enterprise.jpg

The Dominion

leave_behind_486.jpg

Lore

latest

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I said the Borg because they affect the show a lot more. Khan was in one episode and a movie and never mentioned outside that. And the other movie with Khan doesn't even have that much. The Borg were in TNG and a movie and Voyager. They affected a main character (picard) more than any other event in the series.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Dukat is one of the best villains in all of TV media. Marc Alaimo's performances were spellbinding.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
The cheese that Neelix made that tried to take over the ship?

Kidding, any answer that is not Khan is wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
Poor Dukat. An awesome villain with an interesting end as all his plans went to hell... and then they spent two seasons systemically reducing his character to a cartoon.

I'd personally go with Q, because I think he's really the apotheosis of the kind of antagonists that make Star Trek more unique—he's not really evil, but he's super-powerful and impish and so there's a danger inherent every time he shows up, because ultimately there's nothing you can do about him. In some respects Star Trek is a show about what it's like for people when a character like The Doctor from Doctor Who isn't around—he's not there for however long doing his own thing, and then suddenly he shows up and upsets your world, then disappears just as soon.

Starfleet security training is the real villain

I've got my issues with Discovery on all fronts, but the most unforgivable is they still haven't bothered making Starfleet security any less of a joke. It's just such laziness.

Oct 28, 2017
Poor Dukat. An awesome villain with an interesting end as all his plans went to hell... and then they spent two seasons systemically reducing his character to a cartoon.

I'd personally go with Q, because I think he's really the apotheosis of the kind of antagonists that make Star Trek more unique—he's not really evil, but he's super-powerful and impish and so there's a danger inherent every time he shows up, because ultimately there's nothing you can do about him. In some respects Star Trek is a show about what it's like for people when a character like The Doctor from Doctor Who isn't around—he's not there for however long doing his own thing, and then suddenly he shows up and upsets your world, then disappears just as soon.

I've got my issues with Discovery on all fronts, but the most unforgivable is they still haven't bothered making Starfleet security any less of a joke. It's just such laziness.

It's amazing how many security officers get KNOCKED OUT simply by being pushed down. I was watching Lonely Among Us TNG and this medical dude gets knocked back. He lays there for the rest of the scene but starts to come to just as the scene is ending. At least Crusher had the sense to ask if hes okay as shes helping Worf out the door.

Other times one person gets knocked down and the other security immediately rush to their side instead of, you know, firing on the thing that's attacking them.

Or people are so slow in firing their weapons because they have to let the bad guy win cuz it's in the script.

So dumb. Aaargh

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I chose the Dominion. I think they caused the largest ripple effect. They literally made Starfleet transition to a militaristic organization. Changed the way they made their ships.

The Borg almost got Starfleet to this point, but the Dominion pushed them over.

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how many security officers get KNOCKED OUT simply by being pushed down. I was watching Lonely Among Us TNG and this medical dude gets knocked back. He lays there for the rest of the scene but starts to come to just as the scene is ending. At least Crusher had the sense to ask if hes okay as shes helping Worf out the door.

Other times one person gets knocked down and the other security immediately rush to their side instead of, you know, firing on the thing that's attacking them.

Or people are so slow in firing their weapons because they have to let the bad guy win cuz it's in the script.

So dumb. Aaargh

I love the scenes of capturing Wesley in "The Game" because it simultaneously shows the goofy incompetence of the security officers (no security cameras so Wesley can just set an auto firing phaser as a decoy) but also they act more clever than they ever usually are with enemies (they isolate him with forcefields and use his body heat to track him.)

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked the Dominion, but love the fact that Gul Dukat is getting so much love. He was far and away the best actor of the list. Dude was amazing.

Dec 31, 2017
The poll is borked — either restrict it to individuals or to races.

Technically, the Klingons were the best villains because they had Kor, Koloth, Kang, (also a special shout-out to Korax) Duras Sisters, Chang, Christopher Lloyd, Gowron and Alexander

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Before they were watered down in Voyager, the Borg were legit scary. Like a race of terminators that got better every time you attacked them.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The Borg are the best from a narrative point of view.

They are a harsh mirror held up to the idealism of the Federation. They preach unity, peace and the importance of a common purpose. All it costs is your individuality, your freedom and your consent.

The Dominion tread this same path, but they weren't handled as effectively. If they had played up the nature of the Dominion as an alliance of many species, each filling their purpose for the greater whole, and how that can be twisted, it would have been more effective.

Q takes another tack and is more successful, simply because the question is more explicit: Is the Federation, and specifically Humanity, worthy of existence? In the presence of a god, should you have to justify your right to be, and could you even do so if you wanted to?

Star Trek is at it's best when it is engaged in a battle of ideals, when the principles of the societies it presents are attacked.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Gul Dukat, I like my villains cunning and vocal.
The Borg are awesome for other reason but ultimately boring in the areas where it counts for me.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I just finished Voyager with my daughter and it kinda nerfed the Borg That and the movie for introducing the Borg Queen. I liked them better as a faceless horde.

Dominion is better, after the changes. Shapeshifters make the Federation so, so paranoid, and their military, along with the Cardassians, cost them many, many ships and casualties.

Last edited:

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I cant believe Dukat has so many votes!!! He's just so fascinating. Loved the Dominion as well but he got my vote.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I voted Borg but at some point I need to rewatch DS9. I haven't seen it since its original run.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Captain Kathryn Janeway
QHyXIXU.jpg

- Intentionally stranded her crew

- Refused to act on technology to get her crew home (They could have just used that warp 10 drive, and had the doctor de-salamander everyone when they got back)
fx1LvuS.jpg

- Murdered a man in cold blood who was pleading for his life
ATaKJYC.jpg

- Caused the extinction of this guy's race because she gave biological weapons to the Borg
w217KFR.jpg

- Wiped out an entire timeline because she couldn't deal with the loss of 3 people who's names were int he opening credits. Screw all those other people who died. Screw all the children who ill never be born, like Naomi Wildman's child.

Wid0wNn.jpg