• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Since Age of Calamity is on the horizon, lets talk about prequels, and what ones were great, and helped make the series more interesting. Feel free to say more than just the game title.

Xenoblade_Chronicles_2_Torna_%E2%80%93_The_Golden_Country.jpg

Xenoblade 2: Torna The Golden Country

This is technically DLC, but it can also be considered standalone to the main Xenoblade 2 game. Taking place 1000 years ago during the eluded backstory, you find out about the hero Addam, and Lora's tale. It really does enrich the main game because of certain characters that carry over. If you've played the main game first, you know this story is going to be rough, but it certainly is a great story.

400px-Tales_of_Berseria_Logo.png

Tales of Berseria

I'll admit I was not a fan of Zestria, the whole plot was cliche, with a good dose of waifu wars, and middling gameplay systems. My enthusiasm for this game wasn't very high at first since seeing it was a prequel along with the risque main character. I waited until it was on sale. But this game makes Zestria worth it, because it flips the script on the cliched Zestria story, and sets up certain characters and situations very well. The highlight of this game is Eizen, who has to make due with his cursed fate.

zelda-quest-minish-cap-featured-image-800x400.jpg

Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap

I loved this game, and it shows that Capcom should have more power to make Zelda games. What is really fun is how it ties into the Four Sword series and established a fun reason for why Link wears a hat (even if Skyward Sword retcons that further).

Last edited:

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep greatly expanded the lore of the series and introduced some of its best characters.

Obligatory Yakuza 0 reference for being both a great prequel and a significantly better starting point than Kiwami.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Age Of Calamity. j//k

Torna was really good.

-Metroid Prime
-Halo Reach
-Deus Ex Human Revolution

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Not that the Ueda trilogy is directly connected, but Shadow of the Colossus was interesting, even if it's the worst of the 3 games.

Yeah I said it, ICO4life

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 0.

Not only a great game by itself, but it even elevated the original games thanks to the better characterization of the cast.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Not as good as the original, but some really good highs in it

Alecs27

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Crisis Core was kind of a mess narrative wise but it sold me on the character of Zack, one of my favorite VG protagonists ever

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
RDR2.

I thought the story and characters of RDR couldn't be touched. Boy was I wrong. An absolute masterpiece.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi's Island was Nintendo at peak talent. I cannot say enough good things about this game and I think it might be the only absolutely perfect, flawless game to me.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
GrayLightheartedDrafthorse-small.gif

My picks:

Ace Combat 0
Devil May Cry 3
Yakuza 0
MGS3
Atelier Iris 2
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Ys Origin
Tales of Berseria (which was kind of a miracle after how abysmal Zestiria was)

To be honest, there's a surprisingly large amount of good prequels in games, and I'm probably forgetting some.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
The greatest prequel to not just any game out there, but in almost any piece of media I've experienced, is Baten Kaitos Origins. Sublime Pacing, combat design, imaginative scenarios, interesting cast members and a fantastic localization by 8-4 to round out the whole package.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
GrayLightheartedDrafthorse-small.gif

My picks:

Ace Combat 0
Devil May Cry 3
Yakuza 0
MGS3
Atelier Iris 2
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Ys Origin
Tales of Berseria (which was kind of a miracle after how abysmal Zestiria was)

To be honest, there's a surprisingly large amount of good prequels in games.

Nioh 2 is top 5 games this year and you cannot convince me otherwise.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
A Link to the Past
Don't care about official timelines

OT (i guess) but it was always weird to me localization stressed that it was a "prequel". nobody gave a flip about the timeline at the time and nothing in the game drives home this was before Zelda 1 and 2

it was the 90s and they couldn't call it triforce of the gods but still kind of a weird angle

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Metal Gear Solid 3 elevated the series to what it is today. Big Boss is more recognizable now than Solid Snake.

Red Dead Redemption 2 surpassed every expectation and made everything about the first game better.

The Last of Us: Left Behind, while also happening concurrently with later events of the first game, gave us the first glimpse at what we would experience in Part II, and also greatly expanded the character of Ellie in flashbacks.

Last edited:

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Halo Reach
Batman Arkham Origins

I think the formula for a good prequel is introduce a bunch of new, engaging characters that are wildly different than the series protagonist.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Crisis Core and Halo Reach are both excellent prequels. I think Reach is my favorite, though.

The thing with the original Halo trilogy is that Master Chief is such an unstoppable machine that him eventually defeating the covenant feels inevitable. Reach provides the context that without Chief, humanity was fighting a war they couldn't possibly win. And the ending actually works better as a prequel, since your final actions are directly responsible for the events that lead to the beginning of Halo and you already know Noble Six's efforts weren't in vain.

And that ending, damn.

EDIT: Oh yeah, MGS 3 too, of course. Duh.

Tournedos

Mar 19, 2019
France
Even if I didn't personally liked it : Yakuza 0
DMC 3 of course
The Street Fighter Alpha series

Is Dai Gyakuten Saiban a prequel ?

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 3 elevated the series to what it is today. Big Boss is more recognizable now than Solid Snake.
More recognizable than solid snake? I don't know about that. I doubt a lot of people who haven't played the series would even know they're different characters. Solid's inclusion in Smash also cant be discounted.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yakuza 0, definitely. Devil May Cry 3 as well.

Castlevania III is a really fantastic earlier prequel.

Going to throw out Panzer Dragoon Zwei as well, it's arguably the best (rail shooter) game in the series.