• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Final Fantasy XVI got me hyped and in the meantime I want to play through the Final Fantasy games I haven't beaten. Which is most of them. I've only beaten X.

So far I've got the following list.

I & I - PSP remakes or mobile ports of the remakes
III - DS Remake either on PSP or Steam
IV - PSP collection
VII, VIII, IX - HD remasters on modern platforms
XII - HD remaster
XIII, XIII-2 - Steam

Of the mainline games I'm missing V and VI. Problem with these ones is I can't figure out which is the best version to get. The mobile remakes on mobile and PC have those ugly sprites. The GBA versions I hear has bad music. The PS1 ports have loading times.

What do you recommend ERA? Any mods to make any of these games play better that I should know about?

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like to play both on the Vita. I just got used to the loading time and it doesn't bother me.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I know people like to trash on it but I think the steam version of FF6 is nice if you mod it
www.moddb.com

Final Fantasy VI - A World Reborn mod

A graphics and audio overhaul of Final Fantasy VI (PC) featuring reworked sprites, battlebacks, monsters and more with a wealth of content available in different install packages for your convenience.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy V - It's still the GBA "Advance" version even with the music issues. However if you're emulating, use this as well to overcome that:

www.romhacking.net

Final Fantasy V - Sound restoration and no framerate drop

This hack completely restores the music and sound effects from the SNES original. The framerate d

Final Fantasy VI - SNES patched with "Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition" (massive host of bug fixes, retranslations, JP content restoration)
www.romhacking.net

Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition

Back when Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy III US) was released the game was heavily toned down, cens

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Imo the GBA version of FFV is pretty great.

I used to say the gba version of FFVI with the snes sound mod was the best version but there's that FFVI snes mod that improves a lot of gameplay stuff, tho i never tried it. Brave New World, i think?

OP
OP
waugh

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Final Fantasy V - It's still the GBA "Advance" version even with the music issues. However if you're emulating, use this as well to overcome that:

www.romhacking.net

This hack completely restores the music and sound effects from the SNES original. The framerate d

Final Fantasy VI - SNES patched with "Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition" (massive host of bug fixes, retranslations, JP content restoration)
www.romhacking.net

Back when Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy III US) was released the game was heavily toned down, cens

You absolute legend. Thanks. This is what I was hoping was out there.

Oct 27, 2017
Without patches, it's probably still the original versions from 1992 and 1994 cause Square really doesn't give a shit.

Also I wouldn't consider any of the versions you listed for 1-4 the best, but that's just me.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitive version of I and II remains Origins because every version after it has a broken MP system.

V - Modded GBA, but GBA alone is Fine.
alternatively the PS1 version, because they made the #choice to make Faris speak like this, and it's great:

YiTBR2f.png

FFVI - GBA modded again, but honestly, the SNES version is totally fine. It really doesn't matter too much, as long as it's not the PS1 version.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
As previously stated, you can mod the PC versions of both to not be shit-terrible.

Other than that, GBA.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
GBA or SNES. Or SFC version of V if you know Japanese for the better audio I assume.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

www.romhacking.net

www.romhacking.net

These, though for FFV SNES with gba translation patch is also acceptable (especially if you want to do 2 player$

And for FFVI GBA with the audio patch is also a good choice

Nov 4, 2017
It's shocking to me that there is no good out-of-the box way to play these games in 2020.

As others have said, SNES versions with translation patches or GBA with palette/music patches. I first played these games on the PS1, and while I enjoyed them, sweet Satan those load times...

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You're missing Tactics on your list too OP! That and/or XIV are probably the two games that have the most in common with what's been shown of XVI on a surface level.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I'd say XIII also on X1X since they game is enhanced. Potentially even better in the Series consoles with auto HDR.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't it have load times? or is that a none issue?

For me, the best version of FF6 is the patched GBA version with sound and colour restoration patches.
Seeing as the screen was darker the colours in the gba release where a bit too bright to compensate.

765screenshot3.png

vs
765screenshot4.png