• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all!

For research purposes, I would like to know about turn-based RPGs with good dungeon design. In my case, I am a fan of creature collecting games like Pokémon or TemTem but I would like to read opinions about good dungeon crawlers beyond this subgenre.

And I would also like to read your answers and opinions to these questions:

- What do you think about random battles in dungeons, do they interfere with the flow of the game or do you like them? And, on a general level, do you prefer to see the enemies roaming around the map and decide whether to fight or dodge them or do you prefer them to appear suddenly?

- Beyond combat, what additional value do you think a dungeon should provide: material gathering, development of side quests and NPC plots, getting companions/creatures only available in those dungeons?

- What should a good turn-based combat RPG dungeon have?

Thank you so much for your help!

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
While it's not always necessary, I like a puzzle mechanic to give the dungeon purpose and drive the dungeon in a direction. Persona 5 has a few bad ones and they often overstay their welcome but it does this.

I remember Lufia doing it well also and Secret of Mana.

Random fights are fine in my opinion but should have a reasonable encounter rate maybe once to twice per screen?

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Battlechaser's Nightwar is some of the best of the best IMO, like a mix between Bastion exploration, puzzles, legit good turn based battles and an actual good and interesting loot/item system.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
- If enemies are not visible then there should be some deterministic way to predict when an encounter will happen. Additionally there should be something that prevents excessive instances of the same enemies/formations being encountered like a hard number of encounters per area

- If enemies can be seen then they should have some sort of AI associated with their movement so that avoiding them isn't just a matter of side stepping them. They need to pose some kind of threat if they aren't gotten rid of.

- Dungeons should be distinct from one another and this could be through different enemies or puzzles, anything that asks you to approach a situation differently

My cents

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm unclear reading the OP. Are you looking for good dungeons in RPGs? Or good dungeon crawlers?

I'll throw in Shining the Holy Ark which has difficult dungeons to get through and some tough puzzles, let's you collect creatures throughout the world and then use those creatures to attack enemies based on where they appear from on the screen. the battles aren't otherwise wildly original.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
While it's not always necessary, I like a puzzle mechanic to give the dungeon purpose and drive the dungeon in a direction. Persona 5 has a few bad ones and they often overstay their welcome but it does this.

I remember Lufia doing it well also and Secret of Mana.

Random fights are fine in my opinion but should have a reasonable encounter rate maybe once to twice per screen?
Yeah I think Persona 5s dungeons have all of the good design principles in action. The execution could be better, but they are great examples imo.

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
Persona 5 Royal
Persona 4 Golden (combat and, more importantly, dungeons a bit weaker than P5R, but still amazing)

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
One of the most important things is if you are doing a big and sprawling dungeon, provide an easy way to get back to the entrance after completing the objective.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A dungeon should pose a challenge not only in finding your way through, but surviving as well.

Enemy encounters need to not be easily avoidable. Either via random encounters or visible enemies that are unavoidable (but also respawn). It should not be possible to run through a dungeon and avoid encounters.

Party HP should be recoverable only by spending limited resources (either MP or items). A very small amount of these (if any) should be recoverable within a dungeon. Management of these limited resources (from start of dungeon to end of boss fight) should be critical to the game.

I think given all of the above it creates a real difficult problem of trying to balance it all. Not many games get it right. Too many just avoid it altogether by doing things like automatic HP regeneration or easily avoidable on screen enemies.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I think Persona 5 is one of the very few RPGs where these huge, empty, illogically designed hallway dungeons that are typical for JRPGs make sense for story reasons.

Generally, I can't think of many (3D) JRPGs with good dungeons. They are often bland, boring and make no sense from a layout, scale, design and functional perspective.

Huge, empty, random hallways slapped together, some dead ends with treasure chests at the end, a few Push-The-Switch-Puzzles, and the further in the game you are, the more complex all this gets. In most JRPGs I find myself hoping the dungeons are over soon so I can get back to the fun stuff.

In 2D (top-down) JRPGs I think dungeons felt more natural due to the simplistic nature of the games, but in 3D games the same design principles, like big, bland hallways, don't feel right.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hi all!

For research purposes, I would like to know about turn-based RPGs with good dungeon design. In my case, I am a fan of creature collecting games like Pokémon or TemTem but I would like to read opinions about good dungeon crawlers beyond this subgenre.

- What do you think about random battles in dungeons, do they interfere with the flow of the game or do you like them? And, on a general level, do you prefer to see the enemies roaming around the map and decide whether to fight or dodge them or do you prefer them to appear suddenly?

- Beyond combat, what additional value do you think a dungeon should provide: material gathering, development of side quests and NPC plots, getting companions/creatures only available in those dungeons?

I'm not sure whether you mean JRPG dungeons, or specifically the dungeon crawlers like Etrian Odyssey, Strange Journey or Stranger of Sword City.

Generally if the corridors are so narrow that there's little chance of evading monsters, I'd rather just have random battles, which is an issue when adding on-field enemies to old games (like Dragon Quest remakes). If the dungeon areas are suitably wider, where there's an element of evasion or an advantage if the player initiates combat rather than the enemy, then I like to see them. Especially if it's a preview of at least one of the monsters you'll be fighting, which helps with finding specific drops. What EO does well though is having a threat meter where you can predict how close you are to one. If it's green you can advance freely, if it's red every single step might be an ambush. That works really well for the first-person crawl that it is.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Lufia 2: The Rise of the Sinistrals is the pinnacle of turn-based RPG dungeon/puzzle design. You are really missing out if you don't go look into it. In my 20+ years of gaming I haven't found another RPG that comes close to it in terms of dungeon design.

To further elaborate, the dungeon design uses visible monster encounters and incorporates them into planning movement. Monsters only move when you move or perform an action and often have set movement patterns that you can learn over the course of a dungeon. Outside of battle, there are various items that you can cycle that you can use that get incorporated into puzzles and dealing with these monsters much like a Zelda game. You have a bomb, sword, arrow, hookshot, torch, and more.

This is all combo'd into a game that rewards you for playing around and searching the environment with rarer items or hidden collectable "pets". Since the game is mostly linear, getting better items may just be as simple as getting something in a dungeon before you can buy it in the next town. Sometimes they have special abilities in battle that may make them worth more than their pure stats though.

The game was really ahead of its time for being an SNES RPG and I'm not sure why more games didn't cop more elements from it. I mean the damn thing has a Rogue-lite built into it that can occupy you for 20+ hours alone.

Last edited:

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Etrian Odyssey is the best example of what I expect of a dungeon.
The floors have specific mechanics you have to take in account, can be sliding tiles, damaging tiles, warps, etc. Can also be a mix of different ones. But you also have the FOEs. Their behaviour and movement patterns adds another layer to these puzzles/hazards in general. Or you could try to take them on, if you think you are ready, as even a single kill will break the puzzle in your favor and basically offering you a shortcut through it. Random encounters are more of a balancing act in these games because they are the main reason you'll have to go back to town, they are here to constantly weaken your party, and it's usually for the best to keep pushing until you reach the next shortcut, but it's not always a possibility which is usually more of a warning sign that your party might not be well prepared or you specced the character badly. Because of the shortcuts it never really leads to much backtracking.
I'll be kinda blunt, if the dungeons are not somewhat as good as this or your above average blobber, i think they are bad and i want nothing to do with the game. I couldn't stand Persona 4 because of this, it was one of the most dreadful experience i had with a jrpg.

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I would look at Persona 5, Lufia 2, and the Etrian Odyssey series. Shining the Holy Ark also had some interesting dungeon designs in it (like a dungeon where you use ramps to walk on the ceiling).

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
OP you could get different answers all day to these questions or you could just play Etrian Oddessy, look up a beginners guide and party build you think you'd like for any of the 3ds ones and you'll have a fun time even if you don't beat it.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
An actual purpose in the game world.

Most RPG dungeons feel like they exist for their own sake - for the game to have "dungeons".

Good dungeons shouldn't feel like dungeons in the first place.

I think of The Witcher 3 as an example - "Dungeons" appear as natural as they can be. They don't feel like isolated videogame instances, they feel like real caves, temples and castle ruins, like natural parts of the environment, real places, some small, some big, that have a purpose and that you can enter and leave as you please.

Pretty much something like that:
One thing that can be tricky to balance is avoiding a dungeon feeling like a pretty corridor, but also not making it a *pure* maze - Pure mazes have their place, but they can be overused. I like a dungeon that has a sense of identity that exists beyond 'a place with a confusing layout' - unless, of course, there's a reasonable narrative reason for a confusing layout (So I'm fine with a labyrinth being mazey, but I'm not fine with, say, a castle floor being mazey).

Last edited:

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
OP you could get different answers all day to these questions or you could just play Etrian Oddessy, look up a beginners guide and party build you think you'd like for any of the 3ds ones and you'll have a fun time even if you don't beat it.

I like what EO does but I find it frustrating because of lack of visibility on map. Missing something crucial because you can't see it til you step on a particular tile is lame.

Jul 24, 2018
Madarame's Palace in Persona 5, I love going inside the paintings, and how it all compliments the narrative around it. I just like the dungeons in that game in general and excited to see if they expand upon them with a hypothetical Persona 6.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I do like dungeons with a heavy puzzle element to them; Golden Sun was particularly good in that regard, and I quite liked the Tokyo Mirage Sessions dungeons because each had a reasonably robust puzzly feature underpinning it.

One thing that can be tricky to balance is avoiding a dungeon feeling like a pretty corridor, but also not making it a *pure* maze - Pure mazes have their place, but they can be overused. I like a dungeon that has a sense of identity that exists beyond 'a place with a confusing layout' - unless, of course, there's a reasonable narrative reason for a confusing layout (So I'm fine with a labyrinth being mazey, but I'm not fine with, say, a castle floor being mazey). Basing the broader theme of the dungeon around a puzzle can serve to alleviate that (not least because when there's a puzzle-solving aspect to it, it's easier to have a central hub as part of the design that the player can return to as a consistent landmark)

It's been a while since I played Golden Sun, but I think it had a nice middle ground of suppressing combat encounters in rooms you have to backtrack significantly in for puzzle-solving purposes. That's a very nice feature - I don''t mind random battles, but when a dungeon's design heavily favours retreading old ground (either in the form of putting together a puzzle solution or, in a simpler sense, just exploring down blind alleys then retreating back) they can get extremely frustrating.

Etrian Odyssey's an interesting one. It does stray a little towards the 'too mazey' in some instances, although the mapping helps immensely to alleviate that, but it's not uncommon to have some distinctive rooms or dungeon feeatures to act as clear landmarks, and I think the fifth stratum does an excellent job of tying story identity into dungeon design.

That said I do have to highlight that I'm not a huge fan of how EO handles secret doors. I feel it encourages a playstyle of 'test every wall in every tile as you enter it to see if there's a secret door there'.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
Etrian Odyssey, Strange Journey. They are designed so well and compelling along with the battle systems.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I really enjoyed Tokyo Mirage Session when I played it on the WiiU a few years back. Its available one the Switch now.

The story and settng didnt do much for me, but combat and level design were amazing. One of those games where getting into random encounters is never a problem because the combat is so rewarding.

Oct 27, 2017
Good dungeons shouldn't feel like dungeons in the first place.
I don't think that's true at all. Some of the best dungeons in games have clearly felt like "dungeons". Yeah, there's an argument for more natural feeling areas, but if you take some of the dungeons of Zelda games (probably the best in the medium) some of them just wouldn't make sense as actual naturally built places. On the flip side, you can have something like Hyrule Castle in BOTW that does feel like a naturally designed place, and a number of the temples in TP, but I don't think that can always be the case

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm increasingly of the opinion that turn-based RPGs shouldn't have random battles or trash mobs at all -- that all battles in these games should be hand-placed and that there be a pre-determined finite number of them, each one unique.

Otherwise they become repetitive. This is fine in real-time games because the time investment for each individual fight is extremely little, but in turn-based games transitioning in and out of dozens of fights with identical trash mobs very quickly becomes tiring, no matter how easy they are. Auto-battle and speed-up are just admissions that your combat system isn't fun enough to sustain a high frequency of encounters.

Mind you I haven't played hardcore turn-based dungeon crawlers like Etrian Odyssey or MegaTen games outside some Persona games. I don't know how they all do it. Games like Persona 3 and 4 have way too many of the same encounters over and over again. Persona 5's non-random dungeons are better but battles themselves can still get repetitive.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm increasingly of the opinion that turn-based RPGs shouldn't have random battles or trash mobs at all -- that all battles in these games should be hand-placed and that there be a pre-determined finite number of them, each one unique.
Not only is this a MASSIVE development undertaking, it ruins the ability of players to have any semblance of control over how strong they are. Some people enjoy grinding to make things easier. Some people like playing only the bare minimum of fights. Removing player choice in a role playing game doesn't seem like the way to go.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Really enjoyed the puzzles of P5's dungeons, especially after playing P4G which was mostly hallways with doors. Also shout out to Paper Mario 64 and TTYD. The ice palace in particular was really fun, it played a lot on perspective with the mirrors. In TTYD pretty much all of chapter 6 and the tower of riddles.

Whenever JRPGs have dungeons with a lot of puzzle emphasis, removing random encounters or lowering them seems to be ideal. The sudden interruption from the task at hand by constant battles is infuriating. The earlier Dragon Quests suffered from this, but the newer ones lowered encounter rates in puzzle rooms which is much better. Pokemon also has this problem. Trying to push a rock with strength slowly while being bombarded with battles was always rough, but I guess repels would fix that.

Removing random encounters and limiting them to when mistakes are made (FFX cloister of trials) or actually involving the encounters into the puzzles themselves (TTYD tower of riddles) are probably the best ways to implement encounters into puzzles

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is this a MASSIVE development undertaking, it ruins the ability of players to have any semblance of control over how strong they are. Some people enjoy grinding to make things easier. Some people like playing only the bare minimum of fights. Removing player choice in a role playing game doesn't seem like the way to go.
The best comparison I can come up with is strategy RPGs where you essentially never fight the same battle twice. I just don't know how those kinds of games work with dungeons.

I'm just saying, I've become tired of trash mobs in literally every turn-based JRPG I've ever played, even without grinding. There's always a point where the game almost puts me to sleep, and engaging auto-battle or whatever is an admission that it isn't fun anymore.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Some of the dungeon design and hooks in Shining The Holy Ark really stand out, especially the South Shrine (puzzle and maze solving with an inversion mechanic).

Oct 27, 2017
The best comparison I can come up with is strategy RPGs where you essentially never fight the same battle twice. I just don't know how those kinds of games work with dungeons.
But even those usually have optional non-story battles that you can use to grind if wanted/needed. At least FE does. I think just giving the user the option might help because there is a range of skill in players and the level of difficulty they can handle. Yeah remove random encounters, but give some way to allow non-story grinding

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Hi all!

I like random encounters - they can provide a level of tension that you don't find too often in these kinds of games anymore. Being steps away from your goal, with low health and depleted resources, not knowing whether or not you'll survive the next encounter... I tend to prefer games where dungeons are more based in resource management instead of one-by-one battles where you gain back all your HP. My biggest gripe is when there's a puzzle room in a dungeon and you get stopped by random encounters. Far too frequently I'll forget what I'm doing with the puzzle when it's interrupted by a battle.

For dungeon designs, I hate when they're just a bunch of boxes connected together by passages, i.e. the random dungeons you see in roguelikes and some other RPGs like Persona. But also there are games like Bravely Default where the dungeons are boxy with very little to distinguish them. I like games which give each dungeon its own identity - mixing it up between trap-based, puzzle based, vertical in layout, maze-like, or even relatively straightforward paths to give people a break.

It's cool when there are scripted events in the dungeons, or a slight amount of story-building, but it's not necessary for my enjoyment.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Lufia 2 sets the bar. It hasn't been topped since release.

It is the most criminally overlooked RPG of all time. It's a shame other developers didn't take inspiration from it.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I still need to play Lufia 2... should've picked it up when I saw it in the store even if it seemed pricy.

Glad I wasn't the only one who loved Shining the Holy Ark. I'll also second Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Every dungeon has a gimmick but it doesn't go too crazy with them and they don't overstay their welcome. Though I don't love that there are hard gates that don't open until later on.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite dungeons are ones with good narrative attached to them. Like the tower of mice from witcher 3.

AMD

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably not quite what you're looking for but it might be worth having a quick look at the Grimrock games anyway.

Edit to answer your supplementary questions:

A) I'm not a big fan of random encounters but that's usually due to the way they're implemented. I can see that occasionally being ambushed can both create tension and prevent complacency but I hate games where something's jumping out at you every other minute. If a game is going to lean heavily into the random element I'd rather that the enemies are visible beforehand (perhaps dependent upon my skills / abilities) so I can choose whether to engage or not.

B) I don't really have an opinion other than it should be interesting / enjoyable in and of itself.

C) Unique identifying features and something to make you think, whether that's a standalone puzzle or a cleverly interconnected layout.

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'd never even heard of it until this thread to be honest.
It is a lower budget game than some of the Square Enix RPGs on the SNES and it starts a little slow. Once everything gets going and you get a full party it comes into its own. There is a lot of personality and heart to the game too.

My brother and I wore out our cartridge battery on the SNES unfortunately. Using emulation with save states and being able to speed up some traversal takes out some of the rougher kinks of the game.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd never even heard of it until this thread to be honest.

It's quite impressive for a 16-bit JRPG. It came out around the same time as Super Mario RPG which understandably got all the media attention. Besides the puzzle design, it also has:

An optional roguelike dungeon mode where you challenge a 100-floor dungeon where you start at LV1, but you can find certain items that you can keep permanently and take into later runs.

A limit break system where you fill up a bar by taking damage and then can use special abilities that are attached to your gear.

Various monsters that you can equip in your 5th party slot and feed items to in order to make them grow.

Fantastic soundtrack as well and the story is fun, especially if you've played Lufia 1 (Lufia 2 is a prequel).

strangemymind

Nov 7, 2017
"dodge the monster" gameplay in turn-based rpgs tends to be pretty annoying and is either trivially easy, or starts making your turn-based game into an action game

i don't want to defend random encounters too much, but most of the alternatives don't get at why random encounters still work - they're part of the attrition that should be happening in a dungeon - every encounter should drain *non-renewable* resources, so you're trying to get your business done and get out as soon as possible. any encounter that doesn't drain resources should not exist

i don't remember the dungeons in SMT:Nocturne very well, but I recall them begin good:), so i'll mention that as a good example

every fight should be an optimization game where i'm trying to spend as few resources as possible - generally this means that hp/sp refills should not happen automatically, or as the result of a trivially cheap/overly available potion or similar

i'll also second those who like their dungeons a bit puzzley - that's fun design for these kind of games imo

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
The [almost] complete lack of Golden Sun mentions in this so far is mind-boggling to me.

Multilevel types of puzzles which switch from vertical to horizontal. Puzzles needing the player to use their magic in the field. Zelda-esque dungeon centered setpieces. Fun secrets like trying to find hidden weapons or djinn. Secret summon bosses. Just absolutely spectacular. There were random encounters here, but I never felt like it was overbearing in that regard. The flaws of that, such as they are, come more from the weaknesses of the GS combat systems, like the slackening need to use psyenergy or general ease of it all. The dungeons themselves, however, are as top notch as they come.

Alternatively, I'd also point to the likes of Divinity: Original Sin 2. Here, there are no random encounters at all, each one instead being carefully placed and crafted, but I think of stuff like Wrecker's Cover, and I remember what makes it great. A ton of different ways in. The party being tossed into different scenarios with each needing a different way of escape - picking a lock, having to be rescued by everyone else, fighting your way out, or sneaking your way past enemies. Dozens of secrets large and small, between quest progression or just teleporting a chest into reach. In the inverse of GS, the strengths here come from the spectacular inventive nature of DOS2 systems, but it can be broadly approximated elsewhere.

So what makes these work? I can say what I'd want to see:
  • Puzzles. Real thinker type puzzles too, if you can swing it. Ones where you need to pay attention to context and capabilities of the party to succeed, not just "find a key somewhere else". Maybe not La Mulana hard, but I want to see designers try.
  • Different scenarios. Boss rushes. Splitting the party up and needing to get everyone together. Maybe have two groups which are on a timer to complete two halves of the same goal. Maybe one group needs to rescue another from increasingly tough waves of enemies. Getting lost is entertaining exactly once.
  • Different approaches. Maybe there are different ways into a dungeon. Maybe those above scenarios can be solved differently. Maybe the powersets of the characters can be applied in different ways. Maybe a boss can be brute forced, whereas another player can poison them or whatever.
  • If you *have* to do a maze, don't have it just be...a maze. Switch up planes of travel, or ways to look at the shape of the maze, or moving pieces around. Maybe have one where you need to make a map for yourself, sure, but if that's the case, do not just keep repeating the trick. Warp dungeons or the like are about as fun as pick-a-pipes in Mario maker.
Random encounters can go either way. In the immediate sense, sure, I've had times when I wished an encounter wasn't random, or that I could avoid the enemy. But as someone pointed out, "enemy on field" types have a tendency to become like an action game, which you're not trying to do here. Randomly being attacked by a foe is part of the oppression of a dungeon in the first place. I think it's best if there are ways to mitigate frequency, or better yet, if things are carefully placed ala the CRPG world. That's far harder to do, so in the meantime, I'll just say - there can be a time and place for random encounters.

The absolute worst dungeons in the world are ones where you just wind up getting lost, with nothing gained or variety experienced. Dungeons like the ones in Dragon Quest 8, for instance, absolutely suck. If the only thing you're doing in a dungeon is walking around and fighting, that's a bad dungeon. Seeing praise for stuff like SMT dungeons, ie, just sprawling, pointless mazes with nothing to do except leave...blows my mind.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
One of the best lessons learned from good D&D dungeoneering is that you should feel like you are running out of resources as you move through the dungeon.

By the end, you should feel depleted - HP, MP, items, special stuff... all used to make sure you got through it all.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Personally there needs to be a good risk/reward feel to exploring dungeons, and really pulling at those dungeon crawling elementd. Love that tension of deciding how far to go, resourcr management, when to fight or run, etc., in the hopes of finding a cool new weapon or whatever. Beyond that, puzzles are always appreciated, complexity in the area design itself, and the player shouldn't be able to just avoid combat all the time.

Kind of feels like most devs are afraid to challenge the player in this way in the modern era, outside of indies/small devs and a few series like Souls or Persona. It's fine, but even then many miss on some of the other elements like puzzles or level complexity.