• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Just wondering what everyone feels the best game developed by Treasure is.

I have created a poll featuring all 31 of Treasure's games here: https://strawpoll.com/9s5cva7bw

I think I'm going with Dynamite Headdy. I was obsessed with that game back in the day, probably beat it 100 times. Even though it's a bit of a clusterfuck design-wise (every level plays differently, pretty much), there's still more creativity and technical wizardry in any given level of it than in the entirety of most other games.

you?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Astroboy, no doubt

My only regret is there were no extra levels when you cleared everything. I felt for sure there was going to be lol

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Holy shit! I didn't think people would be with me, but Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is winning! What a fantastic game.

I also love Astro Boy, Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, Ikaruga, and Sin and Punishment 64, though.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Gunstar-Heroes.jpg

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Picking just one is fucking hard.

Gunstar Heroes
Radiant Silvergun
Sin and Punishment
Ikaruga
Bangai-o

These are 5 of my absolute favorite games of all time.

Even their next down the lines are classics.

sbdesignworks

Nov 2, 2018
Ohhh! Gotta go with Astro Boy! Had way too much fun back in the day.
Gotta give a shoutout to Sin and Punishment :Star Successor and Gradius V too! Some of my all time fave gaming set pieces!

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Wasn't sure if I wanted to say Gradius V or Gunstar, went with G5 because, frankly, I consider it a shmup masterpiece not only for the series but for shmups as a whole.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is SO difficult. I went with Alien Soldier though. But I think Gustar Heroes, Sin & Punishment and Ikaruga are in the same level of greatness. Also their GBA games were HOT!

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Gradius V, Ikaruga, and Sin and Punishment SS rounding out the top three is absolutely correct.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a tough one because so many of them are amazing. But in the end I have to go with....

tumblr_n5t741PYo11s3uawvo1_400.gifv

tumblr_negj7mAvuH1s3uawvo2_r1_500.gifv

The original Sin and Punishment on N64. But yea, nearly all of their other games are as good.

But this game is such an insane assault on the senses, especially given the hardware it was released on. A true white-knuckle experience. It's one of those games that also begs to be played with an original N64 controller as nothing else will feel correct in my humble opinion.

ReadyorNot

Jan 6, 2018
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. It's not only my favorite Wii game but one of my favorite games of all time on any console without a doubt.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Ikaruga is masterfully crafted and easily their best. Astro Boy and Gunstar Heroes are solid runners-up.

My fave is still either Mischief Makers or Bangai-O, though.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
I had no idea Treasure made both Sin and Punishment games.

That list is crazy impressive. I'm going to say Gunstar Heroes. I remember being blown away by that game when it came out and I still think it holds up.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Voted for Sin & Punishment 2 ! One of my favorite game of all time...
The dream level in the typical japanese horror forest is awesome, and of course the climax in space... And the water level... and the volcano level... What a gaaaaame !!

But all of their games are awesome. First Sin & Punishment is up there too, Astro Boy, Gunstar Heroes, Ikaruga...

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
omg just noticed that I played almost every Treasure game, but forgot many before googling them lol
My favorite is Astro Boy followed by Gunstar Heroes!

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Best across all eras? Hard to choose!

My favorites are Astro Boy, Gunstar Heroes, Bangai-O!, Sin & Punishment and Ikaruga, but they have a deep catalog and I haven't spent enough time with the Saturn games in particular.

may I point everyone here at this relevant thread? Includes a Mega Drive oriented version of this same poll!

www.resetera.com

Legends of 16-Bit Game Development (Kickstarter for book about Treasure's Mega Drive/Genesis games)

Thought this would be of interest to a bunch of us here, a book about the early days of Treasure and the six games they made for the Mega Drive/Genesis: Gunstar Heroes McDonald’s Treasure Land Adventure Dynamite Headdy Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen Alien Soldier Light Crusader There's a...

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea Treasure made both Sin and Punishment games.
Nintendo was a co-developer on the first game.

S&P1 is my pick. Just an amazing game. Smooth controls aside, the sequel was a major letdown for me. I'm surprised so many people like it more than the original when it's less intense, has more filler, and is more bland in art style.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Gunstar Heroes is such an amazing game. It's got my vote, but Guardian Heroes would be a close second.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It's either Sin & Punshment 2, Gunstar or Astro Boy for me.

All these years later, and I still can't believe one of the greatest 2D action games ever made is a goddamn Astro Boy game.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Sin and Punishment 2 is my favorite.

Followed by Gunstar Super Heroes on the GBA. I like it better than the Genesis one because I think it controls a lot better (e.g. no need to have to choose between "fixed" and "free" shooting).

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Gunstar Heroes is #1 with Guardian Heroes and Alien Soldier close behind it. The latter two also deserve way more recognition, imo.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In general, I think that Treasure has made a few masterpieces but I'm not enamored with their overall library and I can't get behind the widespread praise of a few of their titles in particular.

I went with Ikaruga for the vote. Regardless of Ikaruga's overblown reception the game itself is gorgeous, absolutely laser-focused, and highly unique. That said, I can go back and forth between this game and Alien Soldier pretty easily. Alien Soldier isn't quite as elegant in terms of its core mechanics, but it's incredibly dense with its bosses and a joy to learn.

Just under these two games I'd put the Sin and Punishment games and Gradius V. Gradius V is just full of cool shit and the Sin and Punishment games are among the best in their genre. These games may not hit the heights of Ikaruga and Alien Soldier, but they're great and they never drag.

Radiant Silvergun is pretty unappealing to me mechanically, unfortunately. It's arguably their strongest game aesthetically, but that doesn't keep me compelled to hunt dogs and learn chains simply to keep my weapons on-par.

Gunstar Heroes has pretty cool boss fights, but the flooding stages are often a slog to me and I don't like the way the game handles health. I think that Alien Soldier builds on all of Gunstar's good elements and ditches all the bad.

Guardian Heroes puts me off with the invincible AI ally, and I'm honestly not a fan of the planar hopping mechanics either. It's a charming game, but I'd take a LOT of arcade belt scrollers over it in a heartbeat.

The Bangai-O games are solid, too, but the bomb mechanic is sort of one-note and I don't like the "big pile of small stages" structure.

Most of the others I haven't put enough time into to comment. I'd like to play Silhouette Mirage and Mischief Makers in the near-ish future. Might give Astro Bot another try.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They went out on top with one of the all time great action games with Sin and Punishment: Star successor

Oct 28, 2017
Sin and Punishment 2 is the best game in the genre of whatever it belongs to.

I would pay a nice handsome fee for and simple HD version or a 3DS version too.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Holy shit! I didn't think people would be with me, but Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is winning! What a fantastic game.

This was my choice too. An absolute masterpiece.

I know Treasure is effectively dead, but, god, I'd love a Sin & Punishment game on the Switch. Or, hell, I'd settle for ports of the first two (even if Star Successor would be slightly ruined by having to use gyro instead of the sensor bar).

AliceAbstract

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for this thread to remind me and the rest of ERA what an absolutely stunning, multi-genre-defining library of games they have! Really struggled with this choice. I love so many of their games and love playing them too. Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes, especially.

When it comes down to it, I chose Gunstar Heroes because I could easily pick it up to show to a friend and play it through to completion at the drop of a hat (with just that perfect touch of difficulty, too) whereas my other favorites inevitably have a place where I have to throw my hands up in frustration.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know what the actual state of Treasure is right now? Do they actually employ anyone?

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Don't make me choose just one~!

Mischief Makers is probably the game that stands out the most to me. SHAKE SHAKE.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Alien Soldier is probably it. It manages to be both technically rewarding and superficially accessible in a ratio that is really hard to pin down.

WarioWorld still holds a special place in my heart, even though it certainly wouldn't rate anywhere on a "best of" treasure list.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I picked Star Successor, but honestly this is a difficult choice because...have they *ever* made an objectively bad game? Treasure were gods during their run - I hope they're still alive in some form somewhere.