• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When are you planning to sell your PS4 / Xbox One

• July

• August

• September

• October

• November - December

• Will not sell my consoles

• Will sell em in 2021 or later

Results are only viewable after voting.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
I was wondering while planning for next-gen console and game purchases when is the best time to sell my PS4 Pro and Xbox One X to get the maximum trade-in value

I'll have to wait till I finish Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2 etc to sell my PS4 sometime during July, so that's easy to estimate unless Sony announces something

for Xbox One, I might keep it till October for Cyberpunk 2077 or sell it sooner since by then it won't be worth much I guess, but ill miss out on all those months of Gamepass so it's not as easy a decision.

Has anyone decided when they are gonna sell your current-gen consoles? or will you sell em after you get the next-gen variant? or will you not sell em at all?

Rox

Dec 13, 2017
I sold my PS4 and games a few weeks ago

Got £570 for everything so i should be good to go when preordering goes live.

If you don't want to play exclusives at release then sell them now.

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
I sold my PS4 and games a few weeks ago

Got £570 for everything so i should be good to go when preordering goes live.

If you don't want to play exclusives now then sell it now.
yeah that's the thing lol
I don't wanna risk getting spoiled about TLOU2 or Ghost by the time next-gen arrives
but 570 GBP sounds really good
how many games did you sell?

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I sold my 1X a few weeks ago, keeping the PS4 because I can't wait to play GoT and TLOU2. I have Game Pass Ultimate up till 2022, but I wasn't using it, 1X was a BC machine - and I have PC for anything I really must play in the meantime.

Oct 25, 2017
Now, but I have still games have coming out that I want to play on current gen. And I like my PS4 a lot better as a media center than my smart TV.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I think before they release since im not sure what effect BC will have on the value of the current gen.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Generally too much of a hassle to sell. When I get a PS5 I'll give my Pro to a friend, and same for Xbox Series X and Xbox One X.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will do a trade-in during launch most likely. Getting a couple hundred dollars CAD for my PS4 Pro will be good enough. As long as it brings the price of the new system below $400 CAD.

FirMatt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boston MA
Well, doesn't Gamestop (provided they still exist in November) do trade-in boost promotions in the month or two before a new console launches?

Rox

Dec 13, 2017
yeah that's the thing lol
I don't wanna risk getting spoiled about TLOU2 or Ghost by the time next-gen arrives
but 570 GBP sounds really good
how many games did you sell?

I'm sure you can get away with not being spoiled you'll just have to be careful lol

I sold a good few games and a pro controller too (Razer) it was a LE console so that's why I got more than I expected.

Kept a good few games though since they'll work on the PS5.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I have all three consoles and a healthy backlog I'll keep them as long as possible. If PS5 is fully BC I'll consider selling my PS4 to fund it but my X1X stays.

Oct 25, 2017
Now, play the games on the newer consoles when they come out.
Ayy!

I've been planning this since last year. After playing stuff like Control, I just want to play these new games as best as possible.

Even if that only means better loading (which wouldn't be the case), I'm willing to wait. I'll just play my backlog for the rest of the year.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
GameStop (if it still exist by this time) will likely have trade in deals for the systems when they launch.

I will gladly take $200 or more for my One X from them, much more convenient than selling myself.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
These are very old consoles by now.

Used consoles are going for 150 on eBay rn.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
Maybe I might trade in one of my PS4 pro's (one is god of war and the other is the 500 million) but the xboxs I have are fantastic 4k Blu Ray players

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure you can get away with not being spoiled you'll just have to be careful lol

I sold a good few games and a pro controller too (Razer) it was a LE console so that's why I got more than I expected.

Kept a good few games though since they'll work on the PS5.
Ah LE. That makes sense. GL getting that type of price for standard console lol.

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
no GameStop where I live, so ill have to use like craigslist type sites to sell mine
My Pro is the spiderman one, maybe I can still get a good deal in july

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Should have added a poll option for already sold lol seems like

I only got £162 for mine, and now I have no 4K disc player, so I kind of regret it, but I'll be getting the new X series when (if) it releases this year, so no real hardship. I could do with finishing Yoshi and Luigi for my Switch before the new consoles release.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
GameStop always has trade in deals towards new platforms. I'll sell my Pro when that happens. Not in a rush, and I've already put aside money for the PS5, so I'm not too worried about it.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Pray for GameStop to survive until next year. I'd like to trade my consoles hassle free even if they are undervalued by them.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going to sell my PS4 Pro after I beat The Last of Us Part 2 in the summer. I don't play it a ton to begin with.

I'm saving up PC Optimum points to put them towards the PS5, Shoppers Drug Mart does points trade in events every once in a while so I will wait until they do trade in 300,000 points ($300 in points) and get a bonus 150,000 points ($150 extra), so that $450 will go towards the PS5, which I'm assuming will be around $650 Canadian if it's $500USD.

The money I get from selling the PS4 Pro will partially offset the difference, whatever extra I get I'll pocket and use towards games and accessories.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Just wait for Gamestop to put up their trade in deal for the new consoles. You get way more for your old consoles than you will anywhere else.

Jun 17, 2018
As soon as possible for maximum trade in value. I'll sell mine a week or two before release if I'm playing anything, if not, sooner. Hoping I'll get between £250-300 for both my One X and 1TB base PS4.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
If Gamestop lasts that long, I'll be doing a trade in deal with them for my PS4 Pro. I'm hoping to at least get $250 but I can settle for $200 because fuck selling shit to people

But without an absolute confirmation of how PS5 BC will work I'm not jumping the gun.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
As soon as prices are know as the more reactionary folks will be dumping the thing

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
It all really depends. We still know hardly anything about the PS5, and have no idea what it's gonna launch with. If there's barely any games I want at launch, I might just wait a bit before jumping in. Unless recent/upcoming PS4 exclusives have upgrades on PS5—then I might consider it.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion, now. I managed to sell my Pro for $250 a few weeks back, and double checking now, they're all in the $180-200 range these days.

I can only assume they'd go down in value even more when the PS5 gets announced and people really start offloading them.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
My xbox one is being used every single day for games and as a media player. So until it is confirmed that Netflix, Youtube and vlc are in day one I will not sell it.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Sold my X and Pro last year, I have an S around but I probably wont sell it and just keep it as a bluray and extra room game console. I have been using my pc for games though since its stronger then the S.

I'd say earlier the better if you have an alternative way to play and want cash but if you don't then just wait for some trade in credit deals, they always come around.

I'll be playing Last of Us 2, Ghosts, and Halo on the new machines. Cyberpunk I'll play on my PC and the stronger of the new machines, I have a 5700xt so I already know the new Xbox will be better.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
not really selling. I still have my base PS4 when i upgraded to Pro. Heck, i still have my OG pixel xl even though i am on Pixel 3a XL now. My collection of google nexus is still in my closet.

For whatever reason, i never sell my hardware to fund future hardware purchase.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I haven't really thought about selling my PS4. But since PS5 will have backwards-compatibility and I have a mortgage to pay since the last console gen arrived I will probably do it. I have a vanilla launch PS4, but replaced the hard drive with a 2TB one. Hope I can still make some € with it in the summer.