• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FFXIV. I'm a sucker for weather changes in MMOs in general.

I think I need to play more RDR2, because I can't recall even seeing a storm out in the open.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
The one in Twilight Princess while you're fighting the dragon boss in City in the Sky is among the most memorable for me. Such great mood setting.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Game: STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl

tumblr_mjeum9KOBu1qba4ipo1_500.gif

2435005-4949825958-xreng.gif

This game still holds up today is one of the most atmospheric games I know of.

DarkShame3

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
I've been enjoying the storms in RDR, but I still haven't figured out whether the ground texture is really altered or if that is an illusion. The sound effects are really impressive though, and the entire character of the locale seems to change during a storm.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The problem with RDR2's storms is that they only last for a minute or two and transition too abruptly.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
AFL Evolution (pre first patch) had the best rain effects I've seen in a sports game - better than Fifa & Madden!

The way the rain just teamed down on screen (plus the added rain drop smudge effect) was just like real life.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
RDR 2 had some great storms but holy shit they last like a minute or two and are gone, the whole time moves way too fast int hat game, never get to enjoy sunrises or weather because of it.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
RDR 2 certainly has the best storms I've ever seen, but as others have mentioned, their duration is sometimes wonky.

Sometimes they'll stick around, but other times they'll start and stop in what feels like under a minute.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So I have been replaying Silent Hill Downpour which features rain as a key theme and has several large atmospheric thunderstorms as well and it got me thinking of depictions of thunderstorms in games.

I just want to say Downpour is an incredibly underrated and overlooked game.

Game: STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl

tumblr_mjeum9KOBu1qba4ipo1_500.gif

2435005-4949825958-xreng.gif
I see, I see.

Anyone know where the cheapest place to get this game is?

Soj

Oct 27, 2017

Most Ubisoft open worlds have good storms, which makes it even crazier that modern Far Cry games don't have dynamic weather.

Nov 2, 2017
I haven't played RDR2 yet, but the original RDR is maybe the only game that ever managed to make me mistake the in-game thunder for real thunder happening outside. I'd take a look out the window just to check. Come to think of it, perhaps Witcher 3 was able to do that as well?

One thing that really bothers me in games is when they don't account for the delay between the speed of light and speed of sound, sometimes this is especially noticeable in games where a flash of lightning on the horizon immediately coincides with a rumble of thunder.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I just want to say Downpour is an incredibly underrated and overlooked game.

I see, I see.

Anyone know where the cheapest place to get this game is?
Right now Fanatical has a whole trilogy in a bundle. (Steam keys)

Otherwise, I'd say GOG, because modding a DRM-free version is the easiest way of getting the most out of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the storm in Flower giving me the exact same unsettling feeling I get when I'm outside during a thunderstorm

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love the storms in RDR2, but they never feel dark enough and during during the day you can still see the sun through them most of the time.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
The Walking Dead: The Final Season has a dope scene set during a storm.

giphy.gif

That said, I'd like to echo praise particularly for L4D2's Hard Rain, BOTW, and STALKER because of how they seriously impact gameplay. There's a lot of cool nominations in this thread though. Shout out to this gem:
Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC had some really nice scene when you fight on the ship exterior.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
was not the hottest game overall but the thunderstorms in Metro Exodus were really stunning, you can even see the clouds in the distance and when they come closer the lighting changes.

That debris appearing out of nowhere is very distracting and immersion killing. But the thunderstorm itself is very well done.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Thunderstorms are something of an obsession for me.

Red Dead Redemption
Ghost Recon Wildlands

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Do go chasing waterfalls. Games tend to put cool secrets behind them.

Here the waterfall provided me with this delicious giant fish that I then offered to the mysterious fox.

Does this always happen during thunderstorms at this spot at a certain time? Was this scripted?
Because it was pretty weird.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I actually thought the RDR2 thunderstorms were disappointing. While visually they're great, they came and went very quickly and had none of the build-up or presence of the RDR1 storms. In RDR1 you could really feel bad weather brewing for a little bit and the storm would live with you for like 10-15 minutes, with a more gradual end and post-rain feel. In RDR2 everything happens too quickly, and both the weather and day/night transitions have abrupt state switches that kill immersion.

Pretty much this. Always thought the transitions in both weather and day/night cycles were off in RDR2 and it's weird to me for such a huge game that promotes "immersion".

I still think RDR1 is miles above the second regarding this and I also liked Oblivion's storms.
Also, I've just got BOTW and while I haven't seen a thunderstorm yet, it's regular storms are great.
A shout out for NFS: HP and Driveclub too.