• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Great Courses courses. They're expensive, but can be redeemed via a credit. Audio courses on almost anything.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've had an Audible subscription for about ~7 years now, and I mostly do non-fiction on audiobook, though I had a string of fiction for a while too.

I'll recommend some of my top non-fiction audiobooks from the last ~5 years. Most of these are just good books, not particularly like... good audiobooks, but just good books that are worth listening to on audio.

The following are more or less "classic contemporary history books":

1491, A newly revealed history of pre-Columbian Americas

Path to Power, the first of Bob Carro's Lyndon Johnson series, followed up by Master of the Senate

The Great Bridge, a David McCollough classic about the building of the Brooklyn Bridge

American Prometheus, the Triumph and Tragedy of J Robert Oppenheimer, about the man who led the Manhattan Project, the development of the atomic bomb, his rise and takedown. One of the best biographies I've ever read.

Guns, Germs, and Steel, why some societies overtake overs

I'd also recommend A Path Between the Seas about the making of the Panama Canal.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
For pop non-fiction / pop-history:

One Summer, America 1927. The quintessential Bill Bryson non-fiction novel. If you've never read Bryson (A Walk in the Woods, A Short History of Nearly Everything), then you owe it to yourself to start here. One of my favorite non-fiction books.

Flash Boys. A Michael Lewis financial pop-history book about the Flash Crash. Classic Michael Lewis (The Big Short, Moneyball, etc) style.

Devil in the White City, a story of the Chicago World's Fair and the first serial killer (I believe this is being made into a movie soon)

The Smartest Guys in the Room, the Rise and Fall of Enron

Bad Blood, the story of Theranos and Elizabeth Holmes. Basically, if you're wondering why Netflix, CBS, movies, etc., have all made Elizabeth HOlmes / Theranos shows/docs recently, it's because of this book

I'd also recommend 'Under the Banner of Heaven,' about the rise of American Mormonism, and 'Going Clear' about Scientology. A lot of my 'pop history' non-fiction books fall into certain categories ... Financial scandals, corporate scandals, or weird times in history that define eras larger than they are. Others include 1946: The Making of the Modern World, the War that Forged a Nation: Why the Civil War Still Matters, every Bill Bryson book, most Michael Lewis books, Red Notice by BIll Browder, Winter is Coming by Garry Kasparov (both books about modern Russia), Havana Nocturne about the mob & Cuban revolution.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
For Biographies, I already mentioned American Prometheus. I think it's one of my favorite biographies ... ever. But, others:

Truman, by David McCullough (I think this is especially relevant today in the age of Trump)

Path to Power and Master of the Senate, the epic biographies of Lyndon Johnson by Bob Caro (I also think this is very relevant in the age of Trump)

The Power Broker, Robert Moses and the Fall of New York. Again, another epic biography by Bob Caro, literally 70 hours long. A biography of the most powerful unelected person in American history (or at least, New York history).

Kissinger, by Walter Isaacson. I was really on a cold war / atomic bomb / etc bent for a while (hence American Prometheus, 1946, etc from my previous history recommendations), and I think Kissinger's biography by Walter Isaacson is an essential biography for understanding the post war world and American foreign policy.

If you've never read Team of Rivals, about Lincoln's cabinet by Doris Kearns Goodwin, I'd recommend that though I never listened to the audio book.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite audiobook series has been Red Rising narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds. If you wanna be reductive about it, it starts as a kinda of space Hunger Games and expands from there.

At first I was a bit put off by the accent used for the main character. But it has really grown on me overtime, and I understand the need for it storywise now. I love how much passion the narrator puts into his voice. It gets me pumped up to the point that I find myself pacing around the room during certain pivotal scenes. It's been the first audiobook equivalent of a page-turner for me. Where I go from my car, to my living room, to bed still listening.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Sorry for the Necro bump, I don't see an audible OT, but i just signed on today and they made it more netflixy

you still get your monthly credits but now they have a larger listing of books included in your subscription service.

this is different from audible originals they had at another point in time. This is regular books you would normally have to purchase.

www.pcmag.com

Get Your Fill of Audiobooks With Audible's New All-You-Can-Listen Plan

Audible Plus subscribers can keep up with the latest in talking books for $7.95 per month.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Just got a subscription, really enjoying Dracula. Does the free selection change on a regular basis or?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection. Narrated by Stephen Fry.

www.audible.com

Sherlock Holmes

Check out this great listen on Audible.com. "Fry's Holmes is crisp and high-handed, his Watson enthusiastic and bemused, and the rest of the narration colorful without being mannered. Have fun. Winner of AudioFile Earphones Award." (AudioFile magazine) "...it was reading the Sherloc...

63 hours of content for 1 credit. Each book/collection features an introduction by Fry, who is a giant Holmes fanboy.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Black Library has most of the Warhammer 40k stuff up there now. It is what I use my credit on every month.
A friend at work suggested I give audiobooks a try, so I subbed recently just for 40K books.

I started with Helsrearch (fantastic narration by Jonathan Keeble), and now I'm on book one of Xenos: Eisenhorn.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero (also narrated by him) is great. It's about the making of Tommy Wisseu's The Room. The Franco brothers based their movie on that book.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
A friend at work suggested I give audiobooks a try, so I subbed recently just for 40K books.

I started with Helsrearch (fantastic narration by Jonathan Keeble), and now I'm on book one of Xenos: Eisenhorn.
Welcome to a limitless supply of more of that if you want it. Everything the author of Helsreach writes is absolutely fantastic. Same with Eisenhorn. I am just finishing the recent blood angels novel and its pretty great!

Nimmermehr

Oct 27, 2017
I can really recommend the whole Rivers of London series, written by Ben Aaranovitch and read by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith.

Last edited:

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Anything written/read by Stephen Fry:

- Sherlock Holmes
- Mythos
- Heroes
- Troy (just released)